Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despera
Jun 6, 2011

AhhYes posted:

Me either. The best I can come up with is: If this is supposed to happen, why lie to the FBI about it?

He lied to cover his own rear end. He broke the rules during the transition time. I guess the reason to be excited is that Mueller didnt simply throw his rear end in jail but wants to use him for a witness. The question is for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/936696004115492864

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
More importantly, as hasn't been discussed a ton. You don't generally call up the Russian ambassador making urgent demands unless you have built a trusted relationship already or are offering some SERIOUS quid pro quo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/936651602810638337

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

dril is too good for this world.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

You're missing some 0s on your numbers. Also it has to be real prison and not rich white people prison.

unfortunately that's not looking likely so I'll take whatever we get in terms of punishing him

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is this the last reconciliation vote the Republicans get before the 116th Congress, or do they get to use one during the lame-duck session? Also, can't they defund Social Security and/or Medicaid with said reconciliation vote if they have it?

Edit: Just realized the lame-duck session question doesn't make sense, because Congressional sessions start and end with the calendar year, unlike Presidential terms.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 1, 2017

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Looking forward to the Mueller Time! video sequel but with The Shawshank Redemption and Jared as Hadley and Trump as Warden Norton.

But seriously I was thinking about what would provide ultimate catharsis for me and it would probably be seeing Trump cry on live television.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cru Jones posted:

More importantly, as hasn't been discussed a ton. You don't generally call up the Russian ambassador making urgent demands unless you have built a trusted relationship already or are offering some SERIOUS quid pro quo.

I mean, if the only thing that happened was "please do not start a trade war a month before we can get into the office and fix everything, thank you" and nobody except Flynn lied about it, that would be fine and reasonable - not necessarily a policy decision I agree with, but a plausible one that Kislyak would be right to take seriously and pass up the line.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The two immediate threats I can think of are

- Anybody else who was dumb enough to A) talk to the FBI about it and B) lie to them about it; I agree with Ken Popehat that as a structural thing it maybe isn't ideal for the FBI to be able to basically manufacture federal charges against anyone not smart enough to immediately shut up and lawyer up, but at least it's being used for good here

- Logan Act (unauthorized negotiation with foreign governments is bad and not allowed) violations, which might put Kushner in a bind depending on exactly how official his involvement in the transition team was and whether he would have had to divest himself or something to avoid problems.
No-one has ever cared about violations of the Logan Act. It would scream political prosecution, and they have far more severe things to go after him on.

CriticalHit
Jan 19, 2005

Uglycat posted:

Do me a favor.

Go to Franklin Square, buy one of the homeless guys there some Five Guys.

Except don't go right now, there is an active shooter situation in that building at the moment.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is legit one of the happiest days this year for me, maybe #1.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnfAr_YSxs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Is this the last reconciliation vote the Republicans get before the 116th Congress, or do they get to use one during the lame-duck session? Also, can't they defund Social Security and/or Medicaid with said reconciliation vote if they have it?

They have until next September? to use their reconciliation vote for 2018 and they're trying to use it on this.

Their reconciliation vote for 2017 died a hilarious death, culminating in John McCain murdering it and Mitch McConnell live on CSPAN.

pumpinglemma posted:

No-one has ever cared about violations of the Logan Act. It would scream political prosecution, and they have far more severe things to go after him on.

Yeah it's very much in a "well technically" bucket, although it would be funny to see someone plead down to it and set a weird precedent.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casey Finnigan posted:

"The covetous" and "lovers of wealth" in this instance refer to poor people.

Yuuuuuuup, that's exactly what he means. The Bible is basically a big "You people need to know your place under the feet of the powerful" book. "Don't make waves and be humble and quiet and don't kill the people keeping you down and literally trying to starve you to death and you'll be rewarded after you die!!"
Edgelord I know but honestly what other take away is there, especially when the rich and powerful use the words to chastise the poor for getting mad that the rich and powerful are currently making moves to be even more rich and powerful at the expense of the poor?

I'm playing catch up on the thread and sometimes it's magical to read all the speculation that comes right before a bombshell. Pages of "Oh poo poo is Flynn flipping??????" is so sweet knowing that he's going to!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/936697782798311425

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yuuuuuuup, that's exactly what he means. The Bible is basically a big "You people need to know your place under the feet of the powerful" book. "Don't make waves and be humble and quiet and don't kill the people keeping you down and literally trying to starve you to death and you'll be rewarded after you die!!"
Edgelord I know but honestly what other take away is there, especially when the rich and powerful use the words to chastise the poor for getting mad that the rich and powerful are currently making moves to be even more rich and powerful at the expense of the poor?

I'm playing catch up on the thread and sometimes it's magical to read all the speculation that comes right before a bombshell. Pages of "Oh poo poo is Flynn flipping??????" is so sweet knowing that he's going to!

The Russia thread is now 100 pages, it begin two days before Comey's firing, and its interesting to read seven months of "This will never come to anything" and goalpost shifting.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Igthorn posted:

Not just 'going to', officially did. He's been convicted. loving convicted with a plea deal. Two convictions from the investigation already - that's so, so much faster than I ever dared to dream it would progress.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey guys I didn't check the news this morning because I wanted to get into work early what did I mis-HOLY gently caress!!!

God willing this is the beginning of the end, but we shouldn't get over confident. Keep knocking on doors and campaigning for 2018.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What the hell is that? I need to know.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

feat. the majestic jimmy barnes

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They have until next September? to use their reconciliation vote for 2018 and they're trying to use it on this.

Their reconciliation vote for 2017 died a hilarious death, culminating in John McCain murdering it and Mitch McConnell live on CSPAN.

So do the Republicans really think the Democrats will give them the votes to defund the social safety net?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Internet hasn't felt this fun in years. Holy poo poo I needed this.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

substitute posted:

Happy #WorldAIDSDay everyone!

Just a reminder why this is important right now:

From WaPo:

Michael Gerson posted:

For the first time since early in the American AIDS response, a fundamental change in approach is being debated. In its 2018 budget, the Trump administration proposes an $800 million cut in America’s bilateral HIV/AIDS programs (along with a $225 million cut for the Global Fund). The State Department, in turn, has written a new AIDS strategy to reflect this lower level of funding. Resources would be concentrated on 13 “priority” countries, while current levels of treatment would be maintained in other places. Neither South Africa nor Nigeria — which together have about a quarter of AIDS cases in the world — would be in the “priority” category.

The results? According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, more than 800,000 fewer people (compared to the current trajectory) would be placed on treatment in the first year of the new strategy, and 2.7 million fewer by 2020. One recent study estimates 26 million additional AIDS infections and 4 million more preventable deaths over the next 15 years. When you are not moving forward against an epidemic, you end up moving backward, and rapidly.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Prester Jane posted:

The Internet hasn't felt this fun in years. Holy poo poo I needed this.

This thing is a goddamn treasure and genius

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's... beautiful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What the hell is wrong with the NSA?

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/936694886476247041

"Mr. Pho took the classified documents home to help him rewrite his resume. But he had installed on his home computer antivirus software made by Kaspersky Lab, a top Russian software company, and Russian hackers are believed to have exploited the software to steal the documents, the officials said."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So do the Republicans really think the Democrats will give them the votes to defund the social safety net?

Not really, but the more stuff you add to the tax bill the more likely it is to be either too evil for the diminished-but-relevant moderate wing, or not evil enough for the House Freedom Caucus lunatics.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

"Mr. Pho took the classified documents home to help him rewrite his resume. But he had installed on his home computer antivirus software made by Kaspersky Lab, a top Russian software company, and Russian hackers are believed to have exploited the software to steal the documents, the officials said."

Just the latest example of big government incompetence!

Time to privatize all the entire US intelligence apparatus, clearly

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/936686931165007874

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

if the house passes something, and the senate passes something else, then they go to joint committee to reconcile the two, do either/both have to vote again on the result?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

It's... beautiful.

Unironically nothing makes me smile quite as much as Big Enough. It's so big and stupid

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

CNN said something about the Trump being briefed on Flynn and the white house reporting that he is not feeling any anxiety.

benzos are a hell of a drug

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not really, but the more stuff you add to the tax bill the more likely it is to be either too evil for the diminished-but-relevant moderate wing, or not evil enough for the House Freedom Caucus lunatics.

I'm talking about the "entitlement reform" they're already tying on their bibs for. They can't pass it on a bare majority during the 115th Congress, unless I'm mistaken.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

if the house passes something, and the senate passes something else, then they go to joint committee to reconcile the two, do either/both have to vote again on the result?

Yes. Both houses must pass the same bill, word for word, before it can be sent to the President.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

On the subject of Kaspersky , are it's not russian sales crashing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Both do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/936698620312768512

el oh el

• Locked thread