Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Aren't they slow as poo poo once they teleport in?

4", half speed advancing. So yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

My full notes from the stream about the BA codex. I'm really hoping there are a few strategems in there we didn't get told about to help getting into combat after deep striking.

Did you see if there was a stratagem to upgrade a Captain character to a Chapter Master, like the 3CP one in the vanilla marine codex?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Uroboros posted:

4" of movement, baby!!!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

There was also the Night of the Wolf, covered in a flashback in Betrayer. Russ and the Wolves tried to take Angron and the World Eaters to heel and it didn't go so well.

This is one of my problems with Inferno. Night of the Wolf shows that Angron is unquestionably better at Close Combat if worse at everything else (which is fair) but in HH Inferno Leman Russ is stupid better because of his dumb Ice Armor. Granted, fully powered Angron is one of the only Primarchs to have any chance to beat him but it pretty much has to happen in the first round.

ForgeWorld took a wound from the Vargryr in payment. Faq Inferno please.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

Did you see if there was a stratagem to upgrade a Captain character to a Chapter Master, like the 3CP one in the vanilla marine codex?

They didn't mention anything about that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uroboros posted:

Move 4 and half advance, but still full charge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uroboros posted:

I assume most of this is found in the codices, and is never really mentioned in the novels, and I feel is the laziest and most uninteresting way of depicting such beings. The very idea of there be fixed locales is pretty much antithetical to what the warp is. I just assumed this was all nonsense fed to the minds of worshippers because they can't truly comprehend the reality of the situation. Once again why would beings who can just live in their own personal "paradises" of their own creation care about the material world if this were the case? In The Emperor's Gift the Neverborn are basically described as being always hungering for reality.

Because they are powered and created by beings in realspace? So they have to fight to control more mortals, especially psykers. Makes sense to me? Korne tries to keep creating conflict because it empowers him. Tzteentch creates change. Etc. They compete against each other to gain temporary power through events in realspace.

I mean they spend all their time chilling in their own paradises, yeah. I think you yourself said before that its just the demons that manifest and go do stuff for the chaos gods. They basically never leave their own paradises. That's the point.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

zeal posted:

Probably not, since the BA chapter master and the well-known successors are all named chars already.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Leman Russ is stupid better because of his dumb Ice Armor

Leman Russ is one of the most unquestionably broken things GW and FW have put out in their combined existence. I've fought that stupid bastard a half dozen times and barely managed to make a dent it him. Meanwhile, he solos whole squads.

E: Followed closely by D blast farting, teleporting all over the board, invisible Magnus.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 1, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

If I wanted to drive up and unload a gently caress-ton* of Crusaders onto enemy lines would a Taurox or a Chimera be a better vehicle for the job? I'm thinking a double flamer Chimera would be really useful for it but the Taurox is faster.

*: Not the metric gently caress-tonne which I think is .96 Imperial gently caress-Tons?

In the grim darkness of the far future, all measurements are Imperial because to oppose the Imperium of Mankind is rank heresy.

I would use a double HF Chimera. If you’re taking such an expensive unit, you might as well go the extra mile for an effective transport. Also the Taurox looks terrible unless extensively converted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

4" slow, I think im gonna get some though since they're only slightly more than the naked indomitus squad im running and require a lot more effort to remove.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

Leman Russ is one of the most unquestionably broken things GW and FW have put out in their combined existence. I've fought that stupid bastard a half dozen times and barely managed to make a dent it him. Meanwhile, he solos whole squads.

E: Followed closely by D blast farting, teleporting all over the board, invisible Magnus.
FOLLOWED by Magnus? :thunk:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, my ruins have removable pieces to block windows, which is cool so you can do true LoS and still have ruins selectively block LoS on first floors.

What did you use to base your buildings? I do like the look of the sector imperialis stuff so could be an option.

I just ordered some munitorum containers because they're cool and LoS blocking.

What else makes for cool LoS blocking terrain in a gothic ruins setting?

I bought a 2x4 panel of quarter-inch MDF or hardboard or something, and chopped it up into 1x1 foot squares, then superglued the buildings down. The decoration on the bases is a combination of spackle and card bits and other random pieces. It ties the buildings into the rest of the table, which I'm a big fan of, even if ends up causing wobbly model syndrome fairly often.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

I mean I've BEAT Magnus, so my salt level is lower for him.

Suckmen v Banana Boiz on the other hand...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Lib Dreads are going to be stupidly OP at under 200 points. Furiosos at 40 points less isn't as hilarious, but is pretty close.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

God Inferno is hosed.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

God Inferno is hosed.

Forgewold rules... bad?!

Unpossible!1!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

ro5s posted:

Forgewold rules... bad?!

Unpossible!1!

The first 6 Horus Heresy books (plus the army books) were fine (and significantly better than the GW books that came out during that time period), then Bligh got terminal cancer during the middle of Inferno and everything went to poo poo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Broken Record Talk posted:

The first 6 Horus Heresy books (plus the army books) were fine (and significantly better than the GW books that came out during that time period), then Bligh got terminal cancer during the middle of Inferno and everything went to poo poo.

:rip:

Yeah, the HH Black Books put every 7th Edition 40k product to shame. Ruleswise and production value wise, without question.

Other than Inferno, of course.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Genghis Cohen posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, all measurements are Imperial because to oppose the Imperium of Mankind is rank heresy.

I would use a double HF Chimera. If you’re taking such an expensive unit, you might as well go the extra mile for an effective transport. Also the Taurox looks terrible unless extensively converted.

Well, "Taurox" for certain values where "Taurox" equals "Rhino with Autocannon mounted on top". :shrug:

That being said, there are some 6x6 kits out there that actually make it look pretty good. Victoria Lamb has a 4x4 but I don't think hers drops the suspension far enough.

E: And I agree that "metric" is a Dark Eldar plot.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ANAmal.net posted:

I bought a 2x4 panel of quarter-inch MDF or hardboard or something, and chopped it up into 1x1 foot squares, then superglued the buildings down. The decoration on the bases is a combination of spackle and card bits and other random pieces. It ties the buildings into the rest of the table, which I'm a big fan of, even if ends up causing wobbly model syndrome fairly often.

That's pretty cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

My full notes from the stream about the BA codex. I'm really hoping there are a few strategems in there we didn't get told about to help getting into combat after deep striking.

Black rage is still +1a on charge and 6+++
Strategem to let Death Company move before the game starts
Strategem to let a BA Character get +D3 additional attacks when they've charged
No strategem / other to let Death Company attack twice
No centurions
for sanguinary guard: Behold the golden host: strategem extends death mask aura to 12"
Assault marines are not troops
Sanguinary guards 2pts cheaper base
Blood Lance (psychic): Pick visible model within 12", draw a line. Every model crossed by line takes mortal wound on 5+
13 unique strategems, others from SM codex (like auspex scan)
Lucifer pattern engine (strategem)(1cp): Use this stragem when advancing with a vehicle. Add 6", or D6+6" if baal predator. Overcharged engines for baal predator still exists, so 2d6 pick the highest.
Archangels sword (relic): power sword, d3 damage against MONSTER, d6 damage against DEAMON MONSTER
Dante does not get any extra CPs
Speed of the primarch (warlord trait): Always strikes first
Killshot strategem exists for baal predators
non-primaris lieutenants are in
2 lieutenants: Master of the assault company, one calm (possibly just a fluff thing and not rules difference)
inferno pistols only 9pts now
Vengeance for sanguinius strategem: Every time you roll a 6+ fighting HERETIC ASTARTES hit again. 4+ against BLACK LEGION
Hand flamer down to 1pt
Angelus boltgun down to 3pt
Lib dread 130 base (20pt drop)
Furioso dead 80 base (42pt drop)

Did the Primaris Lieutenant have anything special?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did the Primaris Lieutenant have anything special?

Not that they specifically called out. My assumption is that he's the same as the C:SM one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Booley posted:

Not that they specifically called out. My assumption is that he's the same as the C:SM one.

Yeah, my guess is that if the BA could take different stuff, the BA Lt model would have that special loadout.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Well, "Taurox" for certain values where "Taurox" equals "Rhino with Autocannon mounted on top". :shrug:

That being said, there are some 6x6 kits out there that actually make it look pretty good. Victoria Lamb has a 4x4 but I don't think hers drops the suspension far enough.

E: And I agree that "metric" is a Dark Eldar plot.

That Rhino idea might look pretty good. Not sure if they have the exact option, but noted makers of both really-cool and terrible-titty models, WargameExclusive, do some really sick ornate razorback turrets. Full on emaciated servitors manning them and so on.

I like the idea of a Taurox but I don't think they did a good enough job on differentiating it tactically from the Chimera. Would have been better with say higher transport capacity and minimal armament. The scale/dimensions just look a bit off for 40k, and even if you replace the horrendous tracks it's still weirdly high and the mudguards aren't shaped right . . . I think it takes heavy conversion work to look good.

I would have really liked to see a big transport, equivalent to an Ork Battlewagon, type vehicle in a Guard codex. Something that can carry more than a single squad for cinematic line-breaking assaults. I know we've got the transporty Baneblade types, but I really don't like them. They just obviously do not look like transports. The FW Gorgon is a lot closer to what I'd like, although obviously 50 men is too much to be reasonably priced in normal games, better with 20-25 transport capacity. I bet with a smaller version in plastic they could make options for closed and open topped.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How do Genestealer Cults play? I'm eyeing that battleforce because the variety in models plus unifying features look really really fun to paint, but I'm curious what they would be like at really small points values (like 850 or so)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

How do Genestealer Cults play? I'm eyeing that battleforce because the variety in models plus unifying features look really really fun to paint, but I'm curious what they would be like at really small points values (like 850 or so)

Probably better now that they have the other half of cult ambush back; the ability to remove a squad and set them up in cult ambush again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Booyah- posted:

GSC units, on their own, are mostly very fragile melee cannons. The ability to ambush and redeploy is really nice. Most of their units are variants on the melee glass cannon theme. Where they really shine is the ability to take any Tyranid units, or a detachment of IG, letting them fill whatever role you think they are lacking.

\/\/ Oh true, most of the Tyrand codex does just work on Tyranids rather than HIVE FLEET

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 1, 2017

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
also a lot of tyranid buffs and powers work on them

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The guys with the power drills for GSC seem really cool – up to like 5 Mortal wounds.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

also a lot of tyranid buffs and powers work on them

I'm converting some Lictors I thought to use to reliably deep strike some GSC duders; already having used some Nid strategems on Cult units, I can confirm that they work pretty well together. Less necessary after CA, though: Meticulous Uprising is loving rad & lets you pull back spamming Primuses for more reliable Ambushes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
8th ed has all my friends and I putting scenery on bases.

It’s just too hard to determine when a unit is ‘wholly in cover’ without bases.

Thin MDF cut out, place terrain on top, base the mdf however you do your army. Perfect.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Genestealer cults are an infantry horde army.
Tons and tons of little dudes, who all die as easily as guardsmen, but can rip stuff apart in close combat.
They have guns, but they all kind of suck. Close combat is where they want to be.

They play like an insurgency force. Squads of infantry appearing all over the table to take out a target, before vanishing, ready to attack somewhere else.
They have been kind of bad up til now in 8th edition, because they lost the ability to put their squads back into reserve. However Chapter Approved has given them the ability back in the form of a stratagem.
It gives them a surprising amount of mobility.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Blood Angels preorder stuff is up on the New Zealand site.

Those dice are so not worth 30 dollars at all.

E: Like, I need a new set of dice because the ones I have are a pain to read and I was willing to be a madman and spend $30 for a set of 20 dice as long as they looked good and are readable and they honestly look less readable than what I have.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

Blood Angels preorder stuff is up on the New Zealand site.

Those dice are so not worth 30 dollars at all.

It's amazing how almost every dice set is overdesigned. Having blood drops for pips, skulls for 1s, and Blood Angels symbols for 6s is too much. Just do symbols on 6s, serve em in the three colors it comes in if you want, and call it a day.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

It's amazing how almost every dice set is overdesigned. Having blood drops for pips, skulls for 1s, and Blood Angels symbols for 6s is too much. Just do symbols on 6s, serve em in the three colors it comes in if you want, and call it a day.

I was going to be the dumbass that bought them if they were at all reasonable and they somehow messed it up to the point that even I don't want them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They seem like a step down in quality in every way, just some basic cube dice with paint-aps. No indenting, no weird materials, just ugly rear end colours.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I did the dumb survey that ignores my country. :sweden:

Same here. I asked for the T'au to get access to more alien races and supplementary armies to get them back (sort of) to being an army of many different types. Maybe even including proper Gue'vesa stuff.

Also, more importantly, I asked for Squats back. I too, can dream.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

They seem like a step down in quality in every way, just some basic cube dice with paint-aps. No indenting, no weird materials, just ugly rear end colours.

For like $30! I would have been completely happy if they were the same as the old dice but with the chapter symbol on the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

god dammit i forgot about that