Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I have Mythos Tales from the kickstarter but haven't played it yet. Is it that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

CaptainRightful posted:

Watch It Played is a Spielberg film. Easy to follow, amiable, makes you feel like you understand the topic, but never deep or challenging.

Rahdo is a Baz Luhrman film. Chaotic, rambling, mostly incoherent, but clearly excited about the subject matter. You won't learn much unless you already connect with that style.

SUSD is a Joss Whedon film. Well-produced, kinda funny, kinda thoughtful, kinda smartass, with lots of references and in-jokes, but not nearly as clever or insightful as the creators think it is.

Calandale is Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

The Dice Tower is Left Behind with Kirk Cameron.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of wargames, tomorrow is the 212th anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz and I'll be celebrating it by playing objectively the best wargame Napoleon's Triumph.

Last time I played was Bastille Day where the Allies were on the edge of fleeing until their cursed hussars broke through the French's middle ranks! I will take up Russia's saber and show my opponent that the French can get licked without breaking a sweat.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Watch It Played is a Spielberg film. Easy to follow, amiable, makes you feel like you understand the topic, but never deep or challenging.

Rahdo is a Baz Luhrman film. Chaotic, rambling, mostly incoherent, but clearly excited about the subject matter. You won't learn much unless you already connect with that style.

SUSD is a Joss Whedon film. Well-produced, kinda funny, kinda thoughtful, kinda smartass, with lots of references and in-jokes, but not nearly as clever or insightful as the creators think it is.

What's the Dice Tower?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

What's the Dice Tower?

I'm trying to think of an allegory in film that is poorly-crafted, low-budget, not especially insightful, yet very popular and I'm coming up blank. Paul Blart? Happy Madison Productions?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm trying to think of an allegory in film that is poorly-crafted, low-budget, not especially insightful, yet very popular and I'm coming up blank. Paul Blart? Happy Madison Productions?

The *genre* Movie franchise? Although that thankfully died, probably because Youtube provides just as vapid entertainment for free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kashuno posted:

What's the Dice Tower?

If I find out one day that it's Victor Salva, I won't be surprised.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shadow225 posted:

Didn't some of you have words about Food Truck Champion? I don't have a Glory TO Rome esque game, and it sounded like it was just approachable enough to fit the bill.

It's definitely a GtR lite game. The card system is straight GtR, but the game doesn't have the buildings with crazy gamebreaking effects and it's much smaller scale, in that you don't increase your space for extra actions at near the same rate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kuso Meriken posted:

If you haven't seen SUSD's review of Azul I encourage everyone to at least watch it midway.

It seems weird for SUSD to poo poo on abstracts again after doing the same thing with Tash-Kalar

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bombadilillo posted:

I have Mythos Tales from the kickstarter but haven't played it yet. Is it that bad?

It needs a long list of errata, which SHCD has finally managed to fix.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Opinions of New Angeles? Caught my eye while Christmas shopping.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It needs a long list of errata, which SHCD has finally managed to fix.

Ok, maybe I procrastinated long enough! I'll check it out thanks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FunkMonkey posted:

I thought it was tedious as hell and there's not much interesting negotiating going on. Although it's a bit heavier, just play Archipelago instead.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

FunkMonkey posted:

Fenn the Fool! posted:

There are a lot of things I like about it, but I have to recommend strongly against it. It's WAY too long for what it is, often pushing 3 hours simply because the semi-coop nature generates a lot of discussion and negotiation. All this talk is the best part of the game, but there's just not enough meat to keep it interesting. The game is also very highly random, most of this is driven by the asset cards varying wildly in power, but also because how the game is structured means that your ability to affect the board will vary significantly from turn to turn. If the city doesn't have any problems you can solve, or if you just don't have any cards left from previous turns, you have very little agency. On the flip side, if you're the only one that can solve a major problem and that happens to drop a very powerful asset into your lap (especially the ones that give you a bunch more cards) that means you have significantly more agency than everyone else for the rest of the game.

I love the art and genuinely enjoyed the first couple games, but its just not good enough to warrant more plays. I'm really hoping for an expansion that turns my opinion around, but they haven't announced anything yet.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kashuno posted:

What's the Dice Tower?

Particularly lovely reality television. There's a lot of it, it's garbage without any redeeming qualities, and yet it's still somehow popular.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Interesting, the motif was also what attracted me, but obviously that alone isn't enough. Thanks for both of your thoughts.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bombadilillo posted:

It has some good ideas (like the concept of some leads being too reckless or dangerous to follow up on, therefore being negative points) but the print and play I thought was really a letdown as it was not well written.

I had hoped that maybe that was just a rough proof of concept and the finished version would be better, but I read here that apparently that's not the case so I passed on it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CaptainRightful posted:

Tabletop with Wil Wheaton is something on VH1, full of D-list celebrities and washups firing off terrible jokes they wrote themselves, and getting all the facts wrong at the same time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

canyoneer posted:

Tabletop with Wil Wheaton is something on VH1, full of D-list celebrities and washups firing off terrible jokes they wrote themselves, and getting all the facts wrong at the same time.

:stare: drat this is the best one

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Doing a secret Santa with heavy cardboard and the guy who bought it for me put my email address in so....

Getting Space Empire 4x, Red7, and 13 Days for Christmas. Cool! :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what came first, No Pun Included or SUSD, but who popularized the style of looming over the table while breathlessly screaming at the viewer?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Calendale is Scorsese.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

al-azad posted:

I don't know what came first, No Pun Included or SUSD, but who popularized the style of looming over the table while breathlessly screaming at the viewer?

SUSD did that first

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Countblanc posted:

It seems weird for SUSD to poo poo on abstracts again after doing the same thing with Tash-Kalar

I don't think you watched until the MID REVIEW TURNAROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I did. I didn't mean that they didn't like the game (they obviously did), but that they did the same "haha, abstracts? like with MATH and stuff? no thanks, NERDS!" thing they did in the tash-kalar vid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Countblanc posted:

I did. I didn't mean that they didn't like the game (they obviously did), but that they did the same "haha, abstracts? like with MATH and stuff? no thanks, NERDS!" thing they did in the tash-kalar vid.

Yeah the idea that abstracts are hard-to-explain is at odds with almost every abstract I've seen.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah like every single non-boardgamer on the planet is likely to take to an abstract much more readily than something with named characters and custom dice and a rulebook longer than four pages.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Looks like the Imperial Assault app just came out.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-imperial-assault/id1310959130?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.iaca

Might try it out later today, but might be adopting a kitty instead.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Can you make a video of your new kitty knocking over the AT-ST

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I don't really like to slag off Tabletop. Your description isn't exactly inaccurate so far as the content is concerned, but it's accessible and depicts people having fun playing boardgames. There are worse things in this hobby by far.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Kashuno posted:

What's the Dice Tower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RfU5r63AXY

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

I don't really like to slag off Tabletop. Your description isn't exactly inaccurate so far as the content is concerned, but it's accessible and depicts people having fun playing boardgames. There are worse things in this hobby by far.

We've found the one thing Jedit doesn't like to slag off and it's loving Tabletop.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm trying to a imagine a mindset where Mage Knight is bad and Tabletop is good, and to be honest I'm struggling

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bombadilillo posted:

I've played.. three cases now? It's not as good as Sherlock Holmes but has some neat gimmicks and is fairly playable. If you've got it already it's worth playing. Some of the errata is hugely critical though.

My bottom line is if you want to try the genre, get Sherlock Holmes. If you don't like the genre, mythos tales is not going to change your mind. However if you do like the style, mythos tales is pretty good.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is there a game similar to archipelago that doesn’t come with the baggage of colonialism?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Jedit posted:

i dont mind it and ive heard "oh ive seen this on tabletop" when explaining a game a few times before. its good at btinging in people.

But man, Will Wheaton is reall annoying. Its like he liked the negative attention from his role wheatley so much that he build his entire public persona around it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Radioactive Toy posted:

Looks like the Imperial Assault app just came out.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-imperial-assault/id1310959130?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.iaca

Might try it out later today, but might be adopting a kitty instead.

A lot of the reviews appear to be "Hyped for this but can't get off the splash screen"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm trying to a imagine a mindset where Mage Knight is bad and Tabletop is good, and to be honest I'm struggling

I didn't say it was good, I just said I don't want to slag it off when they're trying hard to be positive where non-gamers might see.

Also the consensus on Mage Knight is definitely swinging my way of late, so embrace the new reality. :unsmigghh:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
That's not consensus you see swinging in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr. Squishy posted:

We've found the one thing Jedit doesn't like to slag off and it's loving Tabletop.

Holy poo poo