Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A tornado hit this giant shrine that I'd been leaving alone and I started hearing a lot of banging and chittering noises and ... finally one of the walls broke open and there was this:

Well, thanks for taking care of the centipedes random space sleeping guys sorry you got owned :shrug:

Apparently the tornado deconstructed one or more of the sleep pods and they all popped open, and the spacer guys were pretty quick on the uptake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh dear :ohdear:

Well that escalated quickly

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What's all those red blobs over in the stockroom there? Is that just devilstrand with a different appearance for some reason?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

What's all those red blobs over in the stockroom there? Is that just devilstrand with a different appearance for some reason?

Dried berries from medieval times. Basically small, semi-preserved meals. They don't last that long and don't give a great amount of nutrition nor are they very efficient to produce compared to meals but they can be made with basic tech and some fruit. Better than letting it rot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I'm just now getting all the amenities in, like refrigeration, so that was the alternative to letting it rot/have no travel food :shrug:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh ok, thanks. There was a bunch of red clothing around so I assumed they were related. Yeah in a tribal start luxuries like freezers are secondary to having a dang weapon to defend yourself.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Speaking of tornadoes -- i just had one touch down on my dormitory in the middle of the night, then proceed to sweep in a perfect line across my whole base. Four serious injuries, though nobody died, but good grief that sucked.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh dear :ohdear:
Well that escalated quickly
Whats that little turquoise thing on the left in the dining room?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats that little turquoise thing on the left in the dining room?

Melee training dummy. There's a mod that gives you that and a shooting dummy, but don't put that indoors because missed shots damage things. It's a joy source and gives a tiny training amount.

E: Called "Misc Training" mod

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So this infestion got completely out of control because half my colony was down with a variety of diseases while a bunch of others were out on caravan. The bugs keep digging and as soon as the roof collapses they freak out and storm my base.

Any ideas on how to deal with em?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oof, I'd probably try to triple door it, put some wood down in the southeast while they sleep, and burn them out. Not 100% though with that size room and a limited amount of area you could build.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

So this infestion got completely out of control because half my colony was down with a variety of diseases while a bunch of others were out on caravan. The bugs keep digging and as soon as the roof collapses they freak out and storm my base.

Seal 'em off then put a fuckton of campfires in there? That might raise the temperature enough to hurt them.

Every infestation I have dies to the -25 centigrade temperatures every winter so...yeah. I haven't had to deal with them on my current colony.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Campfires won't make it hot enough to bother them because they have some kind of cap, but igniting wooden constructions is another matter. If you have chemfuel you can get that to blow up with ranged damage, similar to how turrets do.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Make a tunnel from the bug cave into a big room with wooden floors, fill it with chemfuel and grenades, give all your colonists incendiary launchers, kite the bugs in, then light them up. I have no idea if this would work but if you're going down you might as well do it in a blaze of fiery glory

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Next time a combat supplier comes by, tell them to go hang out in the cave.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Wooden floors don't burn, I usually pop a few random beds or some cheapo wooden furniture. Combined with a few piles of chemfuel you can get a decent fire going and burn 'em out that way.

Alternatively, build a row of heaters just inside the cave, add an extra stone wall to insulate your base a bit and then crank up the heaters to 200 degrees. That's how I usually deal with cave infestations but they might have tunneled out too far and made their cave too large for this to be really effective.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tame a couple boomalopes and designate that their home?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Vulcan cannon surrounded by embrasures.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tristesse posted:

Wooden floors don't burn

I thought this changed at some point?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

wilderthanmild posted:

I thought this changed at some point?

Yup, wood floors started burning around A16 or 17.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have dealt with that exact situation before by building a huge room full of wooden beds near the tunnels, carefully digging a tunnel from the bed room into the bug room, and then throwing a Molotov onto one of the beds.

I think with just 20 or so beds the temperatures got to like a thousand degrees in the cave. The air itself started to glow. It didn't just kill the bugs, it made them all spontaneously combust and burn away into nothing, so I didn't even get any free kibble meat out of it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just lob an incendiary in there and slam the door shut

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eiba posted:

I have dealt with that exact situation before by building a huge room full of wooden beds near the tunnels, carefully digging a tunnel from the bed room into the bug room, and then throwing a Molotov onto one of the beds.

I think with just 20 or so beds the temperatures got to like a thousand degrees in the cave. The air itself started to glow. It didn't just kill the bugs, it made them all spontaneously combust and burn away into nothing, so I didn't even get any free kibble meat out of it.

Just make sure you have enough doors to keep them contained. Bugs will go absolutely mad and blow their way through any man made barricade pretty quickfast.

No table is turned faster than igniting a room to 500c just moments before the bugs pop the door and flood your base with heat.

Infestations have to be one of the weakest features in Rimworld.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah they were changed to path to the colonists once they start taking damage, which is why i suggested triple stone doors. I've had them bust through single and came close to busting down a 2nd one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

Just make sure you have enough doors to keep them contained. Bugs will go absolutely mad and blow their way through any man made barricade pretty quickfast.

No table is turned faster than igniting a room to 500c just moments before the bugs pop the door and flood your base with heat.

Infestations have to be one of the weakest features in Rimworld.

You can plan your base around that and probably should anyway honestly because a zzzt can start fires in your base. Best advice I've got is be able to vent your base. Also for both combat and temperature control reasons I recommend building large interconnected corridors and branching rooms off those, the corridors vent heat well and the rooms should stair fairly isolated.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OwlFancier posted:

You can plan your base around that and probably should anyway honestly because a zzzt can start fires in your base. Best advice I've got is be able to vent your base. Also for both combat and temperature control reasons I recommend building large interconnected corridors and branching rooms off those, the corridors vent heat well and the rooms should stair fairly isolated.

My general philosophy ever since my first ice sheet mountain base was gutted by a zzzt event in a hydroponics bay has been firefoam poppers and building my bases around a primary artery that can be vented quickly to external temps by nuking a primary doorway.

Because you never know.

On a side note building batteries in banks connected by switches can be a nice way of minimizing zzzt impacts in addition to having backup energy quickly on hand should you experience one.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh snap, that changes my strategy then!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

My general philosophy ever since my first ice sheet mountain base was gutted by a zzzt event in a hydroponics bay has been firefoam poppers and building my bases around a primary artery that can be vented quickly to external temps by nuking a primary doorway.

Because you never know.

On a side note building batteries in banks connected by switches can be a nice way of minimizing zzzt impacts in addition to having backup energy quickly on hand should you experience one.

I think batteries slowly drain power now, there's a "self discharging; 5w/d" tag on all of them.

Which is why I finally said gently caress it and just got the fuses mod. Building off-line banks and switching them for emergencies was annoying enough to start with.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

bird food bathtub posted:

I think batteries slowly drain power now, there's a "self discharging; 5w/d" tag on all of them.

Which is why I finally said gently caress it and just got the fuses mod. Building off-line banks and switching them for emergencies was annoying enough to start with.

I don't think I've gone without the fuse mod since A15. The Zzzzt event is extremely annoying and one of those events which I feel frustrates suspension of disbelief when I'm running around building power armor and spaceships but can't figure out wiring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do think the fuse mod is just flat better, spend some extra components to save explosions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can anyone think of a reason that the WM Smarter Food Selection tab wouldn't show up?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Man that was a squeaker :sweatdrop:

Bug infestations never really bother me too much but then I like to have a bunch of armored heavy melee people :shrug:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Devilstrand and hyperweave war veils are better than advanced helmets it seems. They protect eyes and neck - all the areas that a power armor helmet does.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Let's say, hypothetically, you have a colony of Amazon jungle warriors, and when the vile cismen invade your sacred virgin safe space you want to ~fix~ them

well, now you can!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1217321550

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I swear I read in the update notes you could make neutroamine from chemfuel and herbal medicine. Just built a drug lab and I can't find it, and now I can't even find it in the patch notes. Have I gone stupid?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Ok so no matter what I did I couldn't light their area on fire without everything getting out of hand, so what I needed up doing was luring them into battle. Here is what happened:

DAY ONE
Pissed them off and left a door open so they'd funnel into the front of my base where I had the best defenses. When they got close enough for me to see the black of their dead eyes I called down my ORBITAL LASER BEAM on the horde.

Most of the survivors were dispatched as they assaulted my defenses. With the coast clear I sent in the clean-up crew.

Felt very much like Aliens during this part.

Everything was going well when - oh gently caress the second hive activated!

Oh gently caress they're in the perimeter! BURN IT ALL!

Oops, the friendly trade caravan outside didn't survive long.

DAY TWO
The hive hunkered down to sleep for the night and I took the opportunity to seal gaps in my defenses and patch up my wounds.

With all my turrets destroyed and a bunch of my colonists injured I knew I wasn't strong enough to fight off the second hive alone. I decided to call in the cavalry.

The three pronged friendly attack didn't go super well.

BUT, they spread the bugs out and distracted them and I shot most of them dead during the struggle. The bugs mounted a final assault on my freezer, busting through the cooler and forcing me to fight them at point blank range.

DAY THREE
At this point the all the original bugs had been killed, but a new wave spawned in the hives but were not yet hostile. Summoning every colonist who could carry a weapon I took the fight to them.

Slaughtering the surviving bugs in their hive. Victory at last.

AFTERMATH
Southwest ramparts:

Southeast ramparts:

Eastern bunker:

Only one colonist death. Tons of property damage, though. Overall I consider it a success.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's not just a success, that's a crushing victory with that many bugs in play.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I swear I read in the update notes you could make neutroamine from chemfuel and herbal medicine. Just built a drug lab and I can't find it, and now I can't even find it in the patch notes. Have I gone stupid?

Someone mentioned it in the thread a while back but I think it turned out to be from a mod.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ok well back to neutroglycerin from boomalopes then cause not being able to make my own sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I said this and it's not on vanilla, a mod author snuck it in his mod and fooled me.