Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MikeJF posted:

Anyone know how he measures up as a choice?

Obviously you'd prefer someone like Justice Gaudron, but there's no reason to think he would kowtow to the government like Heydon.

CrazyTolradi posted:

He's as close to being Dyson Heydon without actually being Dyson Heydon.

No, you're thinking of Justice Callinan.

While I'm here I may as well quote the judges talking about getting drunk

quote:

CALLINAN J: Mr Jackson, it seems to me that clearly the people at the party, including Ms Joslyn and Mr Berryman, went out with the intention of getting drunk.

MR D F JACKSON QC: It would be a big night, your Honour, big night.

CALLINAN J: With the intention of getting drunk and they fulfilled that intention.

MR JACKSON: Well, your Honour, young people sometimes——

KIRBY J: I just think “drunk” is a label and I am a little worried about—it is not necessary to put that label. It is just that they were sufficiently affected by alcohol to affect their capacity to drive.

MR JACKSON: Yes.

KIRBY J: “A drunk” has all sorts of baggage with it.

HAYNE J: Perhaps “hammered” is the more modern expression, Mr Jackson, or “well and truly hammered”.

MR JACKSON: I am indebted to your Honour.

KIRBY J: I do not know any of these expressions.

McHUGH J: No, no. Justice Hayne must live a very different life to the sort of life we lead.

KIRBY J: I have never heard that word “hammered” before, never. Not before this very minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Some of the posters in this thread's obsession with unremarkable right wing commentators is obsessive and creepy. They've said and done nothing important, why are you posting this?

Because they’re a bunch of dumbass nerds lol

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wizard Master posted:

Because they’re a bunch of dumbass nerds lol

Wizard Master was righttt

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

Some of the posters in this thread's obsession with unremarkable right wing commentators is obsessive and creepy. They've said and done nothing important, why are you posting this?

Because she's hilariously dumb, and mocking idiots is this site's raison d'etre.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

:same: gently caress off, Daisy. gently caress off about Daisy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

#Pray4Tim

1 Quote = 1 Prayer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

#Pray4Tim

1 Quote = 1 Prayer.

Oh come on. I can only link TISM's Denial Works For Me so many times before I sound like a stuck record.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Trenchant insight from the minion avatar

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Shouldn't you be asking the Sky News switchboard?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Please don't call me.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Amoeba102 posted:

I will never stop posting about Caleb Bond.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everything Caleb Bond does is obsessive and creepy so it can't be helped coming through when he is mentioned.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think whoever reckons Daisy isn't sufficiently important enough to mock should write up a list of people we can mock as well as their achievements so we can make informed decisions as rational actors.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Starshark posted:

I think whoever reckons Daisy isn't sufficiently important enough to mock should write up a list of people we can mock

1. Bu$h

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

I think whoever reckons Daisy isn't sufficiently important enough to mock should write up a list of people we can mock as well as their achievements so we can make informed decisions as rational actors.

Is Janet Albrechtsen famous enough?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Starshark posted:

Agreed. If we have a list of whom we are able to mock without guilt, I’d feel better about the whole thing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/DaisyCousens/status/855244272995520514

I'm sorry Daisy, but I've had orders from the top - you're not important enough to hang poo poo on.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Shouldn't you be asking the Sky News switchboard?

Who the hell watches sky news anyway.

Starshark posted:

I was going to say mock the government, but then i wasn't able to come up with a list of achievements.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
To the suprise of absolutely nobody, the mystery MP threatening to quit the coalition is George Christensen

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

To the suprise of absolutely nobody, the mystery MP threatening to quit the coalition is George Christensen

Didn't he already come out and say "nah it's not me"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's like getting to the end of a Scooby doo episode and finding out that the ghost is just some old guy in a mask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

Didn't he already come out and say "nah it's not me"

Are you calling Sharri Markson a liar?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Resident Idiot posted:

From https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/01/michaelia-cash-claims-public-interest-immunity-over-union-raid-tipoff, though as usual the best jokes are on Twitter.

I never thought I'd live in a world where the best political journalist in the country works for Buzzfeed.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/cash-estimates?utm_term=.xt78AzM11#.ulBQeylNN posted:

Employment minister Michaelia Cash is still refusing to answer questions about her and her office's involvement in tipping off the media about police raids on union offices, as she fronted a Senate committee for the first time in 36 days.

The raids were made by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) on the behalf of the Registered Organisations Commission (ROC) on the Australian Workers' Union's (AWU) Sydney and Melbourne offices in late October. The raids related to donations made by the union over a decade ago when it was led by current Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Cash attempted to shut down questioning in her opening statement, telling the committee that despite her belief she is not under investigation by the AFP, answering questions would be sub judice.

The majority Liberal committee granted the minister the right to claim public interest immunity and shut down questions.

Officials from the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) and the ROC also used this defence to refuse to answer questions.

Labor accused the government of hiding behind the sub judice convention, adding that the FWO and the ROC were complicit and not acting independently.

All denied the accusation.

After there had been no progress in the first 30 minutes of the committee meeting BuzzFeed News overheard ROC official Chris Enright say, "This has been a very productive half hour", and ROC commissioner Mark Bielecki reply "It has".

BuzzFeed also heard ROC and FWO officers say "I could do this all day" and Labor was "getting pretty desperate" during the committee break.

Bielecki and Enright admitted to making comments, but FWO officers denied making any comments.

Cash was also observed pointing across to someone across the room and twice exclaiming "girl power" during a committee break.

The government and the opposition accused the other of using the committee for political stunts.

Cameron said the government purposely stacked the committee with Liberal senators to help Cash's "cover-up" and restrict its interrogation.

Adding fuel to Labor's fire, Cash also confirmed she hadn't referred any other matter to the ROC, other than the donations made by the Shorten-led AWU.

In outlining the rules of the Senate, Odgers' Australian Senate Practice states: "The sub judice convention is regarded as applying to proceedings in committees. If, however, a committee has been directed by the Senate to inquire into a particular matter, the convention cannot be invoked in the committee to prevent the inquiry."

The employment committee is made up of four Liberal senators, Linda Reynolds (chair), Ian Macdonald, Slade Brockman and James Paterson. Labor is represented by Murray Watt and Doug Cameron. Cross bench senator Derryn Hinch was also in attendance.

Cash used her immunity defence to block any questions about David De Garis — the former senior media adviser who tipped off media outlets about police raids on union offices.

At one point in the committee Cash refused to answer Cameron's question about how long De Garis had worked in her office.

"Are you serious minister?" asked Cameron.

BuzzFeed News reported yesterday that AWU investigators have been unable to locate De Garis to serve a Federal Court subpoena.

De Garis resigned last month after admitting he tipped off the media about the Australian Federal Police's (AFP) raids on the AWU's Sydney and Melbourne offices in October.

The raids were part of an investigation by the Turnbull government-established watchdog the ROC into donations made by the union over a decade ago when it was led by current Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Media arrived at the offices before the raids took place, and BuzzFeed News revealed that media outlets had been tipped off by Cash's office.

After resigning De Garis was allowed to leave Parliament House with his work phone, and without providing Cash's office with a full debrief on the incident.

The following day, Cash told Senate Estimates her office was unable to locate De Garis and that he was not returning phone calls. However, he was still taking calls on his work phone to journalists in the press gallery.

Cash said today she hadn't spoken to De Garis since he resigned, but had attempted unsuccessfully to call him after his resignation. She said she was advised on Thursday October 26 that due to the likelihood of an AFP investigation, she should not attempt to contact him again.

Labor has repeated its calls for Cash to resign.

"If the minister claims that she cannot answer any questions about the AFP criminal investigation, which clearly centres on her office, then she must stand aside immediately," shadow minister for employment and workplace relations Brendan O'Connor told BuzzFeed News.

"The prime minister must show some leadership and ask senator Cash to stand aside. By once again refusing to answer any questions, Michaelia Cash is attempting an obvious cover-up. The integrity of the government is shot."

Cash is also using the current AFP investigation to block freedom of information requests to release communication that would confirm exactly what she and her staff knew about the raids, when they knew it, and who they told.

The AWU requested any correspondence between Cash, her office and the ROC, in addition to any correspondence between the minister and relevant staff members. This could include any text messages, emails, phone lists and other correspondence.

A similar request made by BuzzFeed News was also denied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7WTIb6rqw&t=41s

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
While we're on the subject of Buzzfeed journalism

quote:

Attorney-general George Brandis has appointed his former chief of staff, James Lambie, to a government job with a pay packet of up to $362,000 per year.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Lambie had been Brandis' chief of staff for just over a year, and left the office in September this year. Prior to that he had been a senior adviser for the previous three years, and a policy advisor for the Liberals from 2008 to 2013.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/george-brandis-appointed-his-former-chief-of-staff-to-a?utm_term=.dgp918q7e#.cs55awjN3

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I read that as Jacqui Lambie and was very confused

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Looks like yet another loving way for the Liberals to subvert democracy. The only time I ever hear about the AAT is when they stuff it with yet another Liberal staffer or functionary. Is there any chance in the world that this body is making non-partisan, objective decisions?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AgentF posted:

Looks like yet another loving way for the Liberals to subvert democracy. The only time I ever hear about the AAT is when they stuff it with yet another Liberal staffer or functionary. Is there any chance in the world that this body is making non-partisan, objective decisions?

Lol what do you think?

No. The answer is no.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

AgentF posted:

Not a chance. The full article goes on to list all the other former politicians or politicians mates who have gotten this very lucrative 7 year contract.

quote:

Former Liberal MP Karen McNamara, who lost her seat of Dobell at the 2016 election, was also appointed to the AAT as a full-time member.

Former Nationals politician Paul Clausen, and former Liberal senator Christopher Puplick, were both appointed as senior full-time members.

Richard Hanger AM, who headed up the Abbott government's controversial inquiry into the former Labor government's home insulation (aka pink batts) scheme, was appointed to the AAT as a part-time president.

The former president of the South Australian branch of the Liberal Party Hedley Chapman was appointed as a part-time senior member of the AAT.

Former Labor politicians Neil Pope and John Black were appointed to the tribunal for seven years, also, as a part-time member, and part-time senior member, respectively.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/msmwatchdog2013/status/936400989673832448

Oh crap, I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://twitter.com/msmwatchdog2013/status/936400989673832448

Oh crap, I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud

I saw this in the Herald Sun, someone in the room said it sounded like a joke.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

1. The greens councillor dude - elected goon
2a. Tbk - nearly elected goon
2b. Anidav - got voted a bunch of times in forums mafia

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

Fruity Gordo was doxxed by Andrew Bolt.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

1/ is Rhodri - he's a greens councillor in Vic.

Or it could be QM?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Fruity Gordo was doxxed by Andrew Bolt.

that sucks for her

but also

lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/02/adani-group-china-construction-bank-wont-grant-loan-pr-firm-says

*snaps fingers*

Darn.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just lol if you don't remember Anidav getting his lecturer in the news for making students do LNP marketing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/candysnap/status/936857173836972032

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Yesssssssss

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/936870353338433537

Comparisons to last time aren't very useful given Windsor isn't running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Just lol if you don't remember Anidav getting his lecturer in the news for making students do LNP marketing.

I wonder if Bill Glasson is still alive?

• Locked thread