Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/936337819731218437

Lol yeah my man, WE KNOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aint no John Wick

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Looks like he's already dropped some nukes.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

they mean no leaks from the mueller investigation

the administration and their legal team learned about the plea deal on the news this morning with the rest of us lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Vidme is shutting down.

Schadenfreude from them laying out why their service was a bad idea from the get go (shockingly, when you can't attract brand-safe advertisers, you don't get advertisers!), schadenfreude from every angry YouTuber who left (or simply threatened to).

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Dec 1, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://twitter.com/RogueSNRadvisor/status/936616273940586496

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Not Operator posted:

I feel like "That's not who I am," and all variations on it are good indications of how insincere an apology is.

It roughly translates to "I'm not sorry for what I did, just sorry I got caught"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

canyoneer posted:

https://gfycat.com/CarefreeWealthyGilamonster
Captain Lance Murdock doesn't quite clear the pool on his scooter

Still would have been an accident and a half. There was almost zero clearance on the other side of the pool. He still would have, at the least, splashed the moped...

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sky blue, water wet, toilet seat made for a human is unable to support a horses' rear end.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

If you read this Twitter thread you understand why.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/936602442996813824

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wiggly posted:

Thanks, this hasn't been all over the news all day, I'm glad you showed me this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Wiggly posted:

This guy is really unreliable. If he's right it's usually a broken clock situation.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Eeeeh. As much as I want to enjoy the schaden of trumps' dumbassery getting spanked, this has happened before. Someone important gets arrested, they plead guilty, we get all wound up, and nothing comes of it.
:geno:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Wiggly posted:

So what happens when Trump fires Mueller?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Eeeeh. As much as I want to enjoy the schaden of trumps' dumbassery getting spanked, this has happened before. Someone important gets arrested, they plead guilty, we get all wound up, and nothing comes of it.

ultrabindu posted:

So what happens when Trump fires Mueller?

read the thread its really good.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I did read the thread, I'm just having a hard time getting excited about it. Every time I get my hopes up that something will happen, nothing does, so why should I get excited yet again?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I did read the thread, I'm just having a hard time getting excited about it. Every time I get my hopes up that something will happen, nothing does, so why should I get excited yet again?

Multiple credible sources are now reporting that Jared Kushner personally directed Flynn to meet with the Russian ambassador, and so at the very least he's in deep poo poo and could easily end up indicted very, very soon. And Kushner is way closer to Trump than the investigation has ever been, I mean it's just one step removed. If they can somehow prove that Kushner was directed to say those things to Flynn by Trump, or even just that Trump knew about it, that could mean impeachment. And this is Ivanka's husband we're talking about, Trump can't just say he's a nobody who's on the fringe of the administration.

Now, the odds of any serious consequences for Trump himself are still fairly low imo, but certainly much higher than they were yesterday.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The dumbest thing about this is the 'lying to the FBI' bit. There's nothing improper or irregular about the incoming administration's NSA pick talking to the Russian ambassador, or other ambassadors, at all.

Basebf555 posted:

Multiple credible sources are now reporting that Jared Kushner personally directed Flynn to meet with the Russian ambassador, and so at the very least he's in deep poo poo and could easily end up indicted very, very soon.

Why? Unless Kushner also lied to the FBI about this (which admittedly would be possible because these people are apparently dumb as gently caress), "meeting with the Russian ambassador" is not only not illegal, it's entirely expected for important members of an incoming administration like the NSA.

For that matter, Trump could just pardon Flynn (and I'm kind of surprised he actually hasn't already done so).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a private citizen, setting up back channels with representatives of a foreign power, without registering as a foreign agent with state at the very minimum with the intention of influencing american opinion or policy is literally by definition espionage or at the least foreign collusion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sneakyfrog posted:

a private citizen, setting up back channels with representatives of a foreign power, without registering as a foreign agent with state at the very minimum with the intention of influencing american opinion or policy is literally by definition espionage.

It's literally not, and the incoming NSA meeting with the ambassador of a foreign power is pretty much the opposite of a "back channel." That's a front channel. The entire *purpose* of the Executive administration is to "influence American policy." Like, that's literally the job of the executive branch.

A "private citizen" doesn't get daily security briefings from the current Executive branch, but the incoming administration's staff absolutely does. It's not like inauguration day rolls around and it's "Welp, you're President now, good luck." There's a lot of groundwork that happens before then.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Dec 2, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Phanatic posted:

For that matter, Trump could just pardon Flynn (and I'm kind of surprised he actually hasn't already done so).

Accepting a pardon means that you have to enter a plea of Guilty for the crime you're being pardoned of. It also means that you cannot invoke your 5th amendment rights involving testimony because you can't incriminate yourself in a crime you've been pardoned of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

The dumbest thing about this is the 'lying to the FBI' bit. There's nothing improper or irregular about the incoming administration's NSA pick talking to the Russian ambassador, or other ambassadors, at all.

Why? Unless Kushner also lied to the FBI about this (which admittedly would be possible because these people are apparently dumb as gently caress), "meeting with the Russian ambassador" is not only not illegal, it's entirely expected for important members of an incoming administration like the NSA.

Of course, the content of the meetings matter. And we know that the meetings were about figuring out a way to delay certain UN votes related to Israeli settlements. So, well in advance of Trump actually taking office, his team was conspiring to undermine the current foreign policy that the current President was enacting(the administration supported voting for a resolution condemning the Israeli settlements).

Incoming administrations have cursory meetings with ambassadors, where they discuss logistics and exchange pleasantries and other bullshit. That's not what this is, and Kushner could absolutely go down for it, especially since he's almost certainly already lied about it either to Congress or the FBI.

Also, don't make the mistake of taking this in a vacuum, independent of everything else. We also know that Don Jr. was communicating with Kremlin connected people in an effort to get, at best, opposition research on Clinton. So these are all things Mueller is now forcing Flynn to cooperate about, and the fact that they're giving him a deal means there's a high likelihood that he knows much more than we found out today.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Dec 2, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Accepting a pardon means that you have to enter a plea of Guilty for the crime you're being pardoned of. It also means that you cannot invoke your 5th amendment rights involving testimony because you can't incriminate yourself in a crime you've been pardoned of.

Both of these things are simplifications. The first is just plain wrong: you can be pardoned of crimes you haven't even been charged with. Ford pardoned Nixon for any and all crimes he might have committed; Nixon didn't have to enter any guilty pleas.

Second, just because you've been pardoned of a single Federal crime doesn't mean that you can't incriminate yourself in other crimes. Read this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/02/if-youre-pardoned-can-you-be-compelled-to-testify-about-your-crime/

Schadenfreude: Goons in the schadenfreude thread being really, really sure they know how the loving law works.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phanatic posted:

It's literally not, and the incoming NSA meeting with the ambassador of a foreign power is pretty much the opposite of a "back channel." That's a front channel. The entire *purpose* of the Executive administration is to "influence American policy." Like, that's literally the job of the executive branch.

A "private citizen" doesn't get daily security briefings from the current Executive branch, but the incoming administration's staff absolutely does. It's not like inauguration day rolls around and it's "Welp, you're President now, good luck." There's a lot of groundwork that happens before then.

tbf some of the timelines indicate this was prior to the days when the courtesy briefings for a potential president elect happened but hey im not an expert, ive just had a few security clearances and i had a lot of briefings that tell you what you totally cant do.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/936605167977484288

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all of you forget that we're in 2017-Trump now, the timeline where NOTHING  MATTERS

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

all of you forget that we're in 2017-Trump now, the timeline where NOTHING  MATTERS

And I'd guess this won't either, but to act like it shouldn't matter is just dishonest. It should matter, but it probably won't. But there's always hope.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Phanatic posted:

"incoming NSA" is not an official title. He's still breaking the Logan Act, all incoming executive branch personnel are unless they're in the government already.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powaqoatse posted:

it amazes me how long it has taken a lot of people to understand this

He doesn't care what people think

He never will

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Grem posted:

"incoming NSA" is not an official title. He's still breaking the Logan Act,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Edit: Unrelated, NBC is refusing to pay Matt Lauer for the remainder of his contract:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/362852-nbc-will-not-agree-to-any-payout-for-matt-lauer-report

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Dec 2, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

it amazes me how long it has taken a lot of people to understand this

He doesn't care what people think

He never will

:thunk:

One of Trump's worst personality traits is that he does care what people think.

You're just not one.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

And I'd guess this won't either, but to act like it shouldn't matter is just dishonest. It should matter, but it probably won't. But there's always hope.

That's exactly it. Nothing is going to come of this. The dumbass advisor will be replaced with another, stupider advisor. Don't get me wrong, I want this to hurt trump and his cronies, but I'm tired of getting my hopes up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's exactly it. Nothing is going to come of this. The dumbass advisor will be replaced with another, stupider advisor. Don't get me wrong, I want this to hurt trump and his cronies, but I'm tired of getting my hopes up.

The adviser you're talking about though is Trump's son in law. That's really the thing that separates this from the other stuff so far. It's not quite as easy for him to just throw him under the bus as the others.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

The adviser you're talking about though is Trump's son in law. That's really the thing that separates this from the other stuff so far. It's not quite as easy for him to just throw him under the bus as the others.

Yeah, this is bigger and closer to the center than it has been. poo poo like this is a process, you have to work on it and wear them down. It's like watching a boxing match and giving up because the 15th jab in a row wasn't a knockout punch.

This isn't likely the end for Trump, but it is a pretty major thing, and it's actually only the 2nd or third tjing to come from Muellers actual investigation.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What I find mind-bogglingly, pants-shittingly crazy about this whole situation is that, regardless of whether anything comes of this investigation, regardless of whether anyone in the Trump administration/campaign colluded with Putin's Russia to help Trump win the election. . . it's still an established fact that Putin's Russia helped Trump win the election. Whether it was at Trump's request or not. This foreign leader whose interests on the world stage are, in many ways, in direct conflict to America's interests thinks that Trump being president of America is good for him/his country. Whether he wants to utterly destroy the West or merely weaken America to help increase Russia's power overseas, he thought that electing Trump will help do that. That is loving terrifying.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

What I find mind-bogglingly, pants-shittingly crazy about this whole situation is that, regardless of whether anything comes of this investigation, regardless of whether anyone in the Trump administration/campaign colluded with Putin's Russia to help Trump win the election. . . it's still an established fact that Putin's Russia helped Trump win the election. Whether it was at Trump's request or not. This foreign leader whose interests on the world stage are, in many ways, in direct conflict to America's interests thinks that Trump being president of America is good for him/his country. Whether he wants to utterly destroy the West or merely weaken America to help increase Russia's power overseas, he thought that electing Trump will help do that. That is loving terrifying.

That's not the baffling/crazy/scary part. The baffling/crazy/scary part is the enormous number of people going to outrageous lengths to justify and defend the situation. A brief perusal of D&D shows that, even among the obviously left-leaning crowds in the threads I frequent, a disturbing number of people have been violently hostile to anyone implying that, actually, Russia may have lately been meddling in American politics a tad more than the usual amount. It turned into one of those issues where people were trying to top each other in expressing just how stupid that idea was, and how smart and sane and calm they are for not buying into it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Twitter either sent out or said they're planning to send out a report to people who retweeted Russian bots during the campaign, and the numbers were pretty crazy as far as how many people were caught up in that poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Basebf555 posted:

agreed, it very much should matter but experience tells me it wont

ill be the first to celebrate trump's untergang if it ever comes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

Getting rid of him would remove the only thing standing between Trump and Ivanka.