Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oddly enough I bought ICEY during the summer sale when I was on a cyberpunk binge but haven't played it beyond the first couple of screens to see how it ran on my laptop, looking forward to playing it, the two Portal games (also never played) and a few others.

How is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on a Steam controller? I've finished it on 360 and PS3, need to do the Steam version to complete the trilogy of the same game. No I'm not autistic my mum had me tested why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NonzeroCircle posted:

Not a game as such but I ordered a Steam Link and Controller on the Black Friday offer and by gum if the packaging isnt amazing and the amount of contingency with plugs etc is great. I'm not normally one for nice boxes or whatever but I'm really impressed with this, everything you need to get it running is in the box.

Caveat: haven't actually plugged it in or switched it on yet.

The Link seems cool in concept, haven't used it at all though. On the other hand, one of my friends has a steam controller and it's hot buttered rear end. He's asked me how to do stuff in games I've beaten and I can't get any of it to work on a steam controller. I ended up giving him a spare 360 wireless controller and he likes it way more.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I tried playing Battlefield 1 on an Xbone earlier and couldn't aim for poo poo after a couple years of PC FPSing. Whether the controller alleviates that (when playing steam games) or not I'm not mega fussed, not expecting to become some CS god on the couch but will be nice to play games in general without being tethered to the desk or with a wired pad as the dogs seem to insist on walking through the cable and unplugging it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a take that isn't so much hot as Thermonuclear - I never minded Hope Estheim in FF13.

I thought his whining was earned due to being a young teen who just witnessed his mother getting brutally murdered by a corrupt government, then forced into a life on the run himself. I found his building revenge boner amusing, watching Snow just keeping on talking and keeping on pissing Hope off more and more until the powder keg burst and he's almost getting stabbed to death with his sister-in-law's knife. I enjoyed Hope in FF13. :colbert:

You're overlooking the part where Lightning, a POLICE OFFICER, not only enables Hope's desire for murderous revenge but gives him a goddamn knife to commit the act with.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're overlooking the part where Lightning, a POLICE OFFICER, not only enables Hope's desire for murderous revenge but gives him a goddamn knife to commit the act with.

no one ever said she was a good police officer

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like a cop to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, they're in a Final Fantasy universe. She knows full well that a single knife isn't gonna do poo poo. You can make do with two, but really to do anything with knives you're gonna need like six.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Prey: The game takes place in a space station that has been researching the Typhoon aliens, which have a subset called "Mimics" that can effectively transform into any object and surprise attack the player. For the first hours of the game, you usually enter a room, hear a noise and now you have to be very careful around those mugs or chairs or boxes.

My favorite thing(of many, it's a great game) is when you're investigating the labs where the scientists were studying the aliens and you enter one where every single object has a stick note on it, with "Not a mimic!" written.

Except one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was great. I thought the party would split up and Hope would end up with Serah and she would help him move on but instead he ends up with Lightning who tells him "No, you're right, murder that dude".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Samuringa posted:

Prey: The game takes place in a space station that has been researching the Typhoon aliens, which have a subset called "Mimics" that can effectively transform into any object and surprise attack the player. For the first hours of the game, you usually enter a room, hear a noise and now you have to be very careful around those mugs or chairs or boxes.

My favorite thing(of many, it's a great game) is when you're investigating the labs where the scientists were studying the aliens and you enter one where every single object has a stick note on it, with "Not a mimic!" written.

Except one.

I wish that instead of that, there was one object with two sticky notes on it and the extra sticky note was a mimic.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She hates Snow too. So do I. gently caress Snow.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

I wish that instead of that, there was one object with two sticky notes on it and the extra sticky note was a mimic.
One of the marked objects is, in fact, a mimic, iirc. Its the one with the sticky note flush with the whole surface. I could be wrong because seeing exactly where the mimic came from can be tricky sometimes (there are some dangerous enemies patrolling outside so I was constantly flipping around at various sounds) and there's a ton to look at. I love that whole lab though.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I like in Prey how there are some achievements for dealing with stuff in a certain way. I got up on top of a supply closet because the door was locked, and thought 'No way I'm dropping into a locked room that might be full of mimics' so I dropped a recycler grenade down the vent, which cleared the room, and I got an achievement for it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Recyclers are the best weapon. It's a grenade! It's a door-opener! It's a loot-generator!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Reminds me of the LAM in Deus Ex, which can be used as a grenade, a proximity mine, a lockpick, or when deployed in multiples, as a set of impromptu stairs for climbing out of the level.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sad lions posted:

She hates Snow too. So do I. gently caress Snow.

I like in the sequel how he was trapped in a time warp that made him punch-fight a giant pepper for eternity.

Also Hope turned into a cool dude in the sequel.

Too bad about that third game ruining all that cool stuff.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I like in the sequel how he was trapped in a time warp that made him punch-fight a giant pepper for eternity.

Also Hope turned into a cool dude in the sequel.

Too bad about that third game ruining all that cool stuff.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of being lady sword-wielding Jesus on a mission from God to Save everyone's souls for the reincarnation of reality.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I beat The New Colossus and one thing I really appreciate is the way that they milk a ton of extra (optional) gameplay out of their replay modes. There's the requisite score attack mode where you replay old levels exactly as they were but there's also an entire other mode where you return to completed levels to hunt down Nazi brass and collect upgrades and they actually put in a fair amount of effort to remix these levels in a way that makes sense and also lets them feel fresh again. Like at worst you're replaying through a level as it was just with some new radio chatter, but often entire levels are changed; a level in a subway is now missing the carts you spent most of the original level stalking through and instead has you storming empty tunnels and stations while those carts show up docked in another level being scoured for intel by Nazis. One particularly inspired level repurposes a combat-free level dedicated to exploring BJ's childhood home as you storming a movie set that the Nazis have built to try and make a propaganda film about BJ, and they went to the trouble of including a pristine and restored interior unlike the decrepit ruin of the original level and the exterior is surrounded by walls and scaffolding and movie props.

Also I really like how they went out of their way to add a lot more color to the game. The New Order was a great-looking game but it was fairly drab by design, the European countryside was mostly muted earth tones of mountains and forests and the Nazi installations were gunmetal grey and landscapes of brutalist uberconcrete structures punctuated only by the bright red of the swastika, and on top of that almost all of the levels were at night or in the rain or both. Even its more fantastic moments were pretty flat, a trip to the moon is all sterile white moonbase and grey moonrocks and even the ancient Da'at Yiichud ruins and technology are just tarnished brass. By comparison, The New Colossus goes out of its way to have the entire Kreisau Circle be bathed in color whether it's Max Haas' psychedelic artwork adorning your vehicles or the garish neon lighting and colorful artwork covering your base or the way that the clothing of your allies is either intense rainbows of complicated patterns or bright primary colors. Even the Nazis themselves pop a little more with their bright yellow hazmat suits and orange highlights of their spacesuits. The game is still washed out and with lots of dramatic lighting but it really drives home how people are resisting Nazis in every way they can, including aesthetically.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of being lady sword-wielding Jesus on a mission from God to Save everyone's souls for the reincarnation of reality.

Yeah well, the second game had a really good voice actor for the villain!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like in Pandora's Tower that the characters explain themselves with gameplay conventions. At one point the characters start suspecting the elderly merchant (who gives you most of the money you earn by buying lore/files off you) of knowing more than she is letting on, and her response is "I know what happened 50 years ago, as I was there. If I knew the full story of what happened 500 years before that, I wouldn't need to keep buying those texts off of you now would I?"

also I'm approaching the end of the 10th tower so I'm really close to the endgame portions of the plot. :)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

NonzeroCircle posted:

Oddly enough I bought ICEY during the summer sale when I was on a cyberpunk binge but haven't played it beyond the first couple of screens to see how it ran on my laptop, looking forward to playing it, the two Portal games (also never played) and a few others.

How is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on a Steam controller? I've finished it on 360 and PS3, need to do the Steam version to complete the trilogy of the same game. No I'm not autistic my mum had me tested why do you ask?

ICEY is better than it has any right to be (primary gameplay is passable, framing device is clever, play it on easy). It's a puzzle box and I'm pretty sure the puzzle is deliberately incomplete, but it has just enough hints in it that it sticks in your brain for a lot longer than you'd expect. Pay attention to the post-anomaly texts.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Double post but gently caress it: Night in the Woods is one of those games that is full of amazing little moments, but hidden inside it is Demontower, an inexplicably wonderful, deep, brutally difficult action roguelike game with interesting interacting mechanics and memorable boss encounters. I like it so much that I'm going to be playing it a second time to get the good ending.

Seriously those guys should package that poo poo and sell it on its own because it is so beautifully done.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Yeah well, the second game had a really good voice actor for the villain!

He's also in Lightning Returns, sorry, it wins there too.

The best thing XIII-2 has is a take on time travel so inconsistent and full of misused terms that it borders on comedic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started the 11th and 12 Dungeons in Pandora's Tower, the Dawn and Dusk towers - I like how these towers intertwine in one huge mega-dungeon, breaking a chain in one tower leading to breaking a corresponding chain in the other via warp points between them. That's a really clever idea.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

He's also in Lightning Returns, sorry, it wins there too.

The best thing XIII-2 has is a take on time travel so inconsistent and full of misused terms that it borders on comedic.

It also has the best ending where the main character Gives the villain exactly what he wants, causing all of time to end catastrophically. Then the other main character just drops dead of magic eye disease. It's a pretty great ending, and a spectacular gently caress you to the player.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shadow of War

Dominating orcs being a full act away is annoying but drat if the first mission you get the ability to dominate captains with isn't incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZVoEtkD60&t=156s

The orcs in general are just so incredibly interesting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Somfin posted:

Double post but gently caress it: Night in the Woods is one of those games that is full of amazing little moments, but hidden inside it is Demontower, an inexplicably wonderful, deep, brutally difficult action roguelike game with interesting interacting mechanics and memorable boss encounters. I like it so much that I'm going to be playing it a second time to get the good ending.

Seriously those guys should package that poo poo and sell it on its own because it is so beautifully done.

Same for the spider dungeon game in Observer. I'd play more of those puzzles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

One of the marked objects is, in fact, a mimic, iirc. Its the one with the sticky note flush with the whole surface. I could be wrong because seeing exactly where the mimic came from can be tricky sometimes (there are some dangerous enemies patrolling outside so I was constantly flipping around at various sounds) and there's a ton to look at. I love that whole lab though.

The designer for that lab did the power reactor area, too. He put two of my friends from high school in it as the people who ran the battlebots league and are now bickering over who fixed something the right way. That's probably my favorite little thing in that game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

Another thing about Wolfenstein is that it handles massive tonal shift phenomenally well. One minute I'm in a Nazi concentration camp with prisoners being traumatized by their treatment and marveling at the horrors of it all, and then 10 minutes later I'm driving a totally bitchin' 'Mech suit around firing missiles at other 'Mech suits, and the transition was seamless.
I felt the opposite, for basically the reason you said. It was like the game was made by two people with radically different ideas as to what it was supposed to be, who compromised by making half each and ignoring each other.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, you're wrong. :colbert:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, you're wrong. :colbert:

Often. But not about this. :smuggo:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You're wrong about that too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RareAcumen posted:

Shadow of War

Dominating orcs being a full act away is annoying but drat if the first mission you get the ability to dominate captains with isn't incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZVoEtkD60&t=156s

The orcs in general are just so incredibly interesting.

Agreed except the slog of the late game.
Yeah I know it supposed to be "post-game" but they don't tell you that. They don't say that the story is essentially over and if you keep doing Shadow Wars, all you get is a super obvious and short cutscene.
I liked SOW a lot but sometimes it was downright tedious.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

I felt the opposite, for basically the reason you said. It was like the game was made by two people with radically different ideas as to what it was supposed to be, who compromised by making half each and ignoring each other.

Someone with a Hitler avatar would think that. Wouldn't they?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sad lions posted:

Someone with a Hitler avatar would think that. Wouldn't they?

poo poo, rumbled.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Welp, got to the thirteenth tower in Pandora's Tower - that certainly happened. Just taking a break after the Dawn/Dusk boss because it took a bit and took a long time to walk to, but looking forward to what the final tower has in store.

I liked how, with the latest boss I just fought, you don't have to throw the swords at them, which can be annoying to aim - as long as you get one positioned between you and it's sibling the one in the middle will get hit by the other's attacks. That's very kind of the game to allow that level of friendly fire. Also Elena just scarfing down 2 Master Fleshes at once was certainly... unladylike. :stare: Well, tomorrow I'm going to Centrum!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun thing about AC: Origins is Bayek's reaction to kids. He's very fond of them (being a dad) and is always willing to entertain their various nonsenses. There's a sidequest that involves him jumping off various heights to entertain some street kids and by the time you're done there's a whole bunch just following you around.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really digging the lethal as gently caress combat in the latest Wolfenstein. Death comes swift and often, but I have found that a combination of throwing hatchets at Nazis, sprinting at them as they die, tugging the hatchet out of their body and throwing it at the next one seems to do the trick.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

They put an amazing amount of work into the dialog for Dragon Ball: Xenoverse. There's a ton of character combinations that get unique dialog (one I encountered recently was Cell getting mad at Cell Jr. for fighting him), your mentor has something different to say for every possible grade you could get on a mission, and a lot of characters have special dialog for your created character depending on their race.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got SMT:IV Apocalypse a little while ago and my favorite thing is how the flavor text for loot has changed from the previous game. Before you played as samurai from a land of fantasy and when you came to modern day Tokyo, you would things like phones as dragon scales.in this game you play as some no name orphan who has always lived in Tokyo, and his flavor dialogue reflects that. Adds a lot of character to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I got Grim Dawn during the steam sale thanks to the earlier derail in this thread, and my favorite little thing about it is how much of the decorative terrain just gets smashed to poo poo from my murder death AOEing. It's so satisfying! And sometimes I accidentally find a hidden area because of it! :3: