Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Duck Party posted:

My Nickelodeon Short was finally released! watch it! (pretty please)

https://www.facebook.com/NickAnimatedShorts/videos/123510338373741/

(could not embed because the video was published on facebook)

This was so loving good! I put off watching it because facebook videos are annoying to watch, but I'm glad I did. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
what program did you mainly use for that nick animation?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This thread is so great, I finally have something to contribute to it instead of just lurking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7-jWOMjYs&t=5s

It's my first animation, and the sound kinda stinks, but I hope you guys like it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Your sound DOES stink! But I enjoyed it. For a first animation I would be proud. Keep it up. I laughed at the green button complaining.

I'm working on another loop de loop, but it looks like the main tumbler hasn't updated for a month. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Duck Party posted:

My Nickelodeon Short was finally released! watch it! (pretty please)

https://www.facebook.com/NickAnimatedShorts/videos/123510338373741/

(could not embed because the video was published on facebook)

andrduck party it has been a pleasure watching you get into making animations these past few years. This short is quite an accomplishment.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
Thanks everyone! It was super fun to make.

Preoptopus posted:

what program did you mainly use for that nick animation?

Many programs were used. It was done in a pipeline similar to Nickelodeon's other TV shows:
Storyboarding: I used Flash but Storyboard pro is also commonly used.
Animatic editing: Premier Pro
Design and Paint (Background, Prop, Character, Effects): Photoshop
Animation: we used a company called Silly Walks Studio and they did it in Harmony I believe.
(Animation for TV is mainly outsourced. The storyboards have to be very explicit almost rough animation to avoid confusion)
Sound: no idea... they do the voice records in house with a sound studio and professional voice actors, it's very fancy.
Music was done by a composer named Ceiri Torjussen.
Sound Effects and the final mix for sound was done at Boom Box Post

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

Let's get back into posting our loopdeloops here! This thread is far too inactive :(
I did this one for the last theme. 'Power'
https://vimeo.com/235288269

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Duck Party posted:

Let's get back into posting our loopdeloops here! This thread is far too inactive :(
https://vimeo.com/235288269

Wow, good job! That's such an ambitious loop, impressive.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Your sound DOES stink! But I enjoyed it. For a first animation I would be proud. Keep it up. I laughed at the green button complaining.

Thank you so much! And yes, Im completely stumped on getting good sound. I used Audacity, but do you or anyone else here know of any good resources for recording well? Even just tutorials.

Ill probably reupload it with in the future when I know how to do that stuff better.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

do you or anyone else here know of any good resources for recording well? Even just tutorials.

Step 1 get a half decent mic: I recommend a 'blue snowball' they are the cheapest mic that records decent sound without requiring additional equipment. There are of course better mics out there but they cost a lot more and often require you buy fancy sound equipment as well.

Step 2 record in a quiet place: turn off your AC and fans, close your windows even try to set up a bit away from your computer if it makes noise. Your mic will pic up background noise.

Step 3 don't spit or blow on your mic. you could get a spit catcher if you want or just try to be careful.

Step 4 noise reduction: Always record some extra dead air so you can capture a noise print and apply a noise reduction to your recording. No matter how quiet the room is when you record, often there's still a bit of hissing in the background. Any good recording software should have noise reduction, you just need a section of the recording with only the noise you want to eliminate.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dumb thing I made for a friend, but I don't think I'll send it. Dumping it on my Tumbles and here, why not.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck Party posted:

I liked this when I saw it. I thought it would be one of the winners.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

, Im completely stumped on getting good sound. I used Audacity, but do you or anyone else here know of any good resources for recording well? Even just tutorials.

Outside of getting a decent mic, check out of few tutorials on youtube on how to balance your levels for dialogue. I feel like you are spiking into the red a lot which distorts your sound.

And now me! This is my submission for the current loopdeloop theme, Love is Love. Like always, I made this using Opentoonz and Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2VcxjS8QvE

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

Yay! More loops! Looks good An Ounce of gold! I 'd love to see the action lined up to the music a little more. I'm unfamiliar with the programs you used but you can line it up in post if you make holds somewhere between your actions so you can extend or shorten each little part to line it up. Also if you know the Beats per minute of your song you can calculate the frames per beat: it's just 60x24/bpm (for 24fps animation).

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck Party posted:

Yay! More loops! Looks good An Ounce of gold! I 'd love to see the action lined up to the music a little more. I'm unfamiliar with the programs you used but you can line it up in post if you make holds somewhere between your actions so you can extend or shorten each little part to line it up. Also if you know the Beats per minute of your song you can calculate the frames per beat: it's just 60x24/bpm (for 24fps animation).

Thanks! You are correct about the music, but that wasn't supposed to be the final track. I just ran out of time! That was my temp track I made a month ago. It's all off the beat even. :D

I was going to re-orchestrate it, change the tempo, make a drum intro, and sing the lyrics I had written. We finished the loop with 13 minutes left... phew! I was debating whether or not to even include the music.

If you are curious, here are the lyrics (I was going to try a Frank Sinatra style voice).

Love is love
Love is true
When I dream,
I dream of you
Love is love
Anywhere you go from New York to Timbuktu
Love is love
And baby, I love you

If I sang the lyrics over the temp track as it is, I would be saying the wrong lines during the wrong parts. Thanks for the formula! I'll give it a try next time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So here's an interesting animation question which is relevant to me career right now,

If you had to animate two balls of the same size but different weights falling from the same height and you couldn't show them bouncing after impact, how would you show that one ball is heavier than the other?
The general answer seems to be that you would give the heavier ball more hang-time so that its acceleration as it approaches the ground is larger (farther spacing) whereas the lighter ball would have more even spacing the whole way down.

However according to physics there is no way to tell from these parameters. Both would have the same spacing going down.
So if you had this as an animation test and you had to show that one was heavier than the other, would you fake it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

So here's an interesting animation question which is relevant to me career right now,

If you had to animate two balls of the same size but different weights falling from the same height and you couldn't show them bouncing after impact, how would you show that one ball is heavier than the other?
The general answer seems to be that you would give the heavier ball more hang-time so that its acceleration as it approaches the ground is larger (farther spacing) whereas the lighter ball would have more even spacing the whole way down.

However according to physics there is no way to tell from these parameters. Both would have the same spacing going down.
So if you had this as an animation test and you had to show that one was heavier than the other, would you fake it?

I'm assuming this is an animation test for a job? If you really can't show the impact on the ground, bouncing, or anything else then your only options are timing, acceleration, and visual cues (color, texture, and squash and stretch can help imply weight). Also, all animation requires "faking it" to an extent, if they really want a physics-perfect simulation there's software that will render that for them far cheaper and faster than a human animator ever could. The only real decision is how much and what aspects to fake - a company that makes scientific infographics for documentaries will have different expectations than, say, South Park Studios.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Id squash the heavier one eeeeeever so slightly during its fall. Leave the lighter one normal. Slight deformations can do weird subliminal things.

Edit: oh yeah! also delete the frame before impact. Give the heavy one a gap.

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 1, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was framed as an exercise but it turns out it was a test. And probably designed as a trick question. About 60% of staff played it safe and went physically accurate, the other 40% played with the spacing. Of that 40%, 20% got laid off, and 20% got shifted to a layout/scene setup department.

Guessing they had to cull staff and decided that a test that would split people down the middle was a good way to get rid of people for not knowing "fundamentals of movement".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

It was framed as an exercise but it turns out it was a test. And probably designed as a trick question. About 60% of staff played it safe and went physically accurate, the other 40% played with the spacing. Of that 40%, 20% got laid off, and 20% got shifted to a layout/scene setup department.

Guessing they had to cull staff and decided that a test that would split people down the middle was a good way to get rid of people for not knowing "fundamentals of movement".
Wow what fun. What the gently caress!!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Jesus that's terrible. What a hot plate of garbage.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Probably against the rules, but I'd add a string to the top of both balls that disconnects. The string attached to the heavy ball snaps upwards, and the string attached to the light ball barely moves.

Also that sounds like a bad place to work. I'm sorry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I have a question; what's a good free program to make simple animation gifs with? I don't mean anything long or fancy, I just mean short gifs that are simple in scope. Sometimes I like to try making little animation loops but its always a pain to actually put them together as a gif because it involves drawing saving several dozen different frames and then uploading them to some compiling website. There's gotta be an easier way but all the programs I look up to make gifs with are just video capture stuff.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So I have a question; what's a good free program to make simple animation gifs with? I don't mean anything long or fancy, I just mean short gifs that are simple in scope. Sometimes I like to try making little animation loops but its always a pain to actually put them together as a gif because it involves drawing saving several dozen different frames and then uploading them to some compiling website. There's gotta be an easier way but all the programs I look up to make gifs with are just video capture stuff.

Do you have photoshop? There's a "timeline" option under the windows menu that allows you to either do frame-to-frame animations, or a video timeline that acts similar to AfterEffects and lets you edit keyframes and such. The interface is a bit unintuitive but it will export as an animated gif if you then go to file > save for web.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Ccs posted:

lol what a pack of shitheads. where do you work?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Opentoonz! It's what I use to animate. It's a free open source version of Toonz, the software used to make Ghibli films like Spirited Away.

You can work in a timeline and just export to gif.

BTW for others, a new Opentoonz version was released. It now has a couple powerful tweening tools. They are slowly closing the gap between this and Toonboom.

For us unpaid Poor's that is huge.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Opentoonz! It's what I use to animate. It's a free open source version of Toonz, the software used to make Ghibli films like Spirited Away.

You can work in a timeline and just export to gif.

BTW for others, a new Opentoonz version was released. It now has a couple powerful tweening tools. They are slowly closing the gap between this and Toonboom.

For us unpaid Poor's that is huge.

Do you know any good resources on how to use this? Last time I tried diving in it were nigh impenetrable

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FunkyAl posted:

Do you know any good resources on how to use this? Last time I tried diving in it were nigh impenetrable

YouTube! I liked Mr Dan Insane's initial tutorials. They are short and to the point but he hasn't kept at it through the updates. There should be quite a few people doing tutorials at this point.

I started day one with it, and though I had previous experience with Flash and Toonboom I didn't find it too difficult to get started. The biggest deal is learning all of the small ease of life differences moving around the ui.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I wasted all of my Christmas Eve editing this fake commercial my lad and I made. I hope it's funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hmQQgzhMU

Merry Christmas friends!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

YouTube! I liked Mr Dan Insane's initial tutorials. They are short and to the point but he hasn't kept at it through the updates. There should be quite a few people doing tutorials at this point.

I started day one with it, and though I had previous experience with Flash and Toonboom I didn't find it too difficult to get started. The biggest deal is learning all of the small ease of life differences moving around the ui.

I'll check these out!

Here's a tip for everyone in return, if you can find old dot matrix printer paper around anywhere it is an excellent alternative to a pegbar/hole punch setup. it even comes easily flippable and is good to do storyboard sequences on because of the perforated edges. here's a testy study i did in like a day with just that setup and a $16 light table! https://twitter.com/thecigarliker/status/945732596675125248

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

TVPaint is now free for Android. If you go to the website and register, you can download the .apk
They're working on porting it to iOS aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :supaburn:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My computer is super old to try this but doesn't that mean you could run an Android emulator and run tvpaint on a PC for free too? Cool but weird decision. 😀

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Not sure whether you would get tablet features via emulation, but anything is worth a try? :shrug:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/xHACSAyz3Y8

Its my second cartoon. Im working on something longer, however this one is mostly silent.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

They're working on porting it to iOS aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :supaburn:

omg

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I'm on twitter or instagram now I guess

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

bitmap posted:

I like these wizards

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hey everyone I made a movie called The Gladstones, it stars my OC's the gladstones, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgIApHyMP4 here it is to watch if you want to watch it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bitmap posted:

These are very fun designs which use the straight lines to their advantage. I'd make them 'hobble' a tiny bit more as they walk but other than that I love it. You have a new follower!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

thankyou all for your kind words. it's fun to just sit down and animate some bullshit after being booked on commercial junk for 2 straight years. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

I'm getting a very Felix Colgrave vibe from this. But in a very good way, with your own style attached. I mean that in the best way.