Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

This is amazing. Wait are there 2 of you who do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's one of those "maybe someday when we have a couple weeks of downtime for me to gently caress around with" ideas that I keep in mind, but going from zero to reliable-diameter straight dowels right NOW is unlikely. Better to just buy straight, dry ones for now.

I like the one that's a jig to hold square stock against a long router bit, if I were going to try anything, though..

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're going to wish you'd splurged on it when you put the final picture of this thing up online and get two dozen requests for it the next day.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've seen dowel-cutting jigs that didn't look too complicated; if you need a lot of dowels I don't think it's out of the question to consider cutting them yourself rather than buying them off the shelf.

If I recall correctly, one of the jigs was basically drilling an angled hole through some 1/8" or 1/4" sheet metal, which made an edge that was sharp enough to cut wood. Mount a stick of wood on a drill, set the end in the hole, turn the drill on, and press the wood through the hole.

I do this all the time. It works for short dowels used for joinery, not for long visible dowels. Cutting them in this method leaves the outside pretty ragged looking.

Edit: video. https://instagram.com/p/BJSuGP0gmcI/

mds2 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 30, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Huxley posted:

You're going to wish you'd splurged on it when you put the final picture of this thing up online and get two dozen requests for it the next day.

Good problems. If 24 people order and pay for this exact thing right NOW I can probably bulk order the 800 or whatever dowels at a discount :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The hardware for the drop side looks like a locking drawer slide (I've never seen that type before), could you use a short drawer slide and a pair of slide bolts as locking catches?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Javid posted:

Good problems. If 24 people order and pay for this exact thing right NOW I can probably bulk order the 800 or whatever dowels at a discount :v:

I assume you are aware of Midwest dowel?

cakesmith handyman posted:

The hardware for the drop side looks like a locking drawer slide (I've never seen that type before), could you use a short drawer slide and a pair of slide bolts as locking catches?

This is a good suggestion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

I do this all the time. It works for short dowels used for joinery, not for long visible dowels. Cutting them in this method leaves the outside pretty ragged looking.

Edit: video. https://instagram.com/p/BJSuGP0gmcI/

Aha, good to know. I have zero experience with actually using these things, I was just trying to plant the (apparently already present) suggestion that it is possible to manufacture dowels from square stock. Hopefully there are designs that give a smoother finish, though I expect that any dowel-cutting jig would have to end with a few sanding passes.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

How much money is there in selling ... fetish furniture? What's the market like? This is the most fascinating poo poo.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Would a lathe just be too much of a pain in the rear end? It seems like something you'd want if you were making consumer grade furniture to order anyways...

Tres Burritos posted:

How much money is there in selling ... fetish furniture? What's the market like? This is the most fascinating poo poo.

my guess is "all the money".

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If I learned one thing from the A&T Dildo Making Thread, it's that fetish people spend loads of money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Javid, search for latching or locking drawer slide, they're used for vehicle equipment drawers where you might park on a slope but don't want to lose your fingers to a 400lb drawer closing itself. They can lock open or closed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

It's pretty decent, like anyone can buy a cheapo bed from big lots or whatever, but if you want this sort of stuff there's not a lot of options.

Beds range from like 2250 to 3100 depending on options and they sell as fast as we can make them. I think the crib is only 1500 since it's a lot simpler than a full bed build and has none of the accessories. We have a bunch of cheaper stuff like chairs, benches, etc that basically never sell, it's all our most expensive items, which is the opposite of most stores afaik.

The story is that the dude I work for/with was trying to sell regular furniture on etsy, he has like a kid's bunk bed, some tables, chairs, and the regular bed, and got like zero orders in two years, then one of his friends said "hey put some stocks and tiedown points on that and take it to Folsom Street fair and see what happens" and it sold immediately.

ColdPie posted:

If I learned one thing from the A&T Dildo Making Thread, it's that fetish people spend loads of money.

"Do rich people get weird, or do weird people get rich" is a topic we often speculate about. A disproportionate amount of our customers have high-stress, high-money jobs, which makes a lot of sense once you realize it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I buy low, sell high, and play hard ball with the big timers, and I play for keeps.

So of course the only way I can unwind is with 3 hours of infantilism, then it's back to the cage under my bed

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That too, but a lot of like heart surgeons and military officers, mainly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’ve got wood.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Now I want a whole thread of these exploits.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Woodworking Megathread: Now with more fetish furniture for the whole fam

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
:eek: I just noticed the woman in the "under-bed cage" in that picture!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally finished smoothing and finishing this thing, got to put it in place tonight. I’m ecstatic with the result.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

Finally finished smoothing and finishing this thing, got to put it in place tonight. I’m ecstatic with the result.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice start, but it's hard to visualize what it'll look like after you install the tie down hooks and the stockade.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I mean, that’s SORT of what’s going on it, in a sense.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 2, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Any uk goons after a monster single phase planer or bandsaw need to check this guy out:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263352155413

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Any reason https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-Amp-10-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TSS102L/205216332 wouldn't work as a DIY miter saw? Basic house stuff, capabilities I'm after are 1x10s and 4x4s, so this should handle those. Not really interested in bevel cuts.

Alternative is something like http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/power-tools/saws/miter-saws/12-sliding-compound-miter-saw/dws709 which seems like the (12") dewalt version of it or http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/power-tools/saws/miter-saws/10-254mm-doublebevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw/dw717 which adds bevels for a significant upgrade cost.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have an older/bigger version of that ryobi mitre saw and it does everything that I need. The laser is rubbish and a rough guide that's somewhere in the vicinity of the cut line, and it really liked the new blade I put in, but it does the job just fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are there any (edit: power tool) saws that ship with blades that aren't mediocre at best? I've always taken it as given that I'll need to buy a new blade to go with any new saw I purchase.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 3, 2017

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Probably Festool or something similarly hilariously expensive.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Craftsman compact miter saw we discussed a few pages back is a noticable upgrade for not much more money than the Ryobi.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have an older/bigger version of that ryobi mitre saw and it does everything that I need. The laser is rubbish and a rough guide that's somewhere in the vicinity of the cut line, and it really liked the new blade I put in, but it does the job just fine.

I have that too. The laser *is* bad but it’s been a good tool otherwise. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've never really understood the appeal of the laser. It's not that hard to bring the blade down, with the saw off, to see where it's going to cut. Do it enough and you'll get pretty drat good at eyeballing it so that you won't need much if any adjustment.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah I made the mistake of using the mitre saw to chop up a block of sandpaper cleaner and the laser on mine got covered in molten plastic and I honestly don't miss it at all.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Apparently the Dewalt miter saw (As I was told by a employee at Home Depot employee) uses a light to cast a shadow across the blade the kerf that way, instead of a laser. Seemed like an interesting idea.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh yeah. You can do fine without a laser. Just sayin, it’s off a good bit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Starting on a open back bookshelf out of 1 3/4" thick, super clear redwood. Boxjointing the corners and after doing the short sides I realized the top/bottom are a touch on the long side. Had to stick them up into the floor joists to fit them on top of the tablesaw.

It took an unreasonable amount of time to get this all set up and cut. I was lazy and didn't set up a 1/4" dado blade, so it took almost 7 minutes per cut using two passes per groove with a normal 1/8" blade.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 3, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

My first dovetails. They got progressively better on each corner, hopefully the trend continues. I found cutting perpendicular to the piece the hardest part until I saw a video with someone using a block next to the saw to guide it.

Wood was from a tree formerly in my backyard that I cut down. Feel pretty good about that part.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gounads posted:

My first dovetails. They got progressively better on each corner, hopefully the trend continues. I found cutting perpendicular to the piece the hardest part until I saw a video with someone using a block next to the saw to guide it.

Wood was from a tree formerly in my backyard that I cut down. Feel pretty good about that part.

I love it and the last part is extra inspiring because a big one blew down in my yard last week. Thanks for the 100+ feet of semi useless cottonwood?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gounads posted:

Nicely done. Anyone who doesn't like found red oak can :getout:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm going to try my first woodworking project, a little sculpture made out of two 1/2" thick boards hand-cut in the shape of butterfly wings, dovetailed together. What kind of wood should I use and can I just get it at a local lumber supplier? Balsa? Each wing will be the size of an A4 sheet at most.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

I'm going to try my first woodworking project, a little sculpture made out of two 1/2" thick boards hand-cut in the shape of butterfly wings, dovetailed together. What kind of wood should I use and can I just get it at a local lumber supplier? Balsa? Each wing will be the size of an A4 sheet at most.

That sounds a bit intricate for a first project, but I'm guessing you have other artistic/sculptural experience?

Usually I'd recommend a fine-grained wood like poplar or cherry for this kind of thing; both are pretty much guaranteed to be available at American lumberyards unless those lumberyards cater exclusively to construction work (like, for housebuilding). But the mention of balsa and A4 sizing makes me suspect you're in the UK, which may limit your options. You could absolutely do this project in pine or plywood or something, they're just more likely to splinter, which leads to unsightly defects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds a bit intricate for a first project, but I'm guessing you have other artistic/sculptural experience?

Usually I'd recommend a fine-grained wood like poplar or cherry for this kind of thing; both are pretty much guaranteed to be available at American lumberyards unless those lumberyards cater exclusively to construction work (like, for housebuilding). But the mention of balsa and A4 sizing makes me suspect you're in the UK, which may limit your options. You could absolutely do this project in pine or plywood or something, they're just more likely to splinter, which leads to unsightly defects.
Why would it be intricate? The dovetails will be hard yes, I expect lots of failed attempts until I get it even remotely right. What else would be difficult? I plan to just trace the outline of the wing shape on the board, use a hand saw to cut roughly close to the outline, then file/sand off the excess.

As far as previous experience, I'm generally handy and have metal fabrication experience, but haven't touched woodworking since middle school.

I'm in Miami.