Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Are the bags reusable or something? I don't quite get how adding $10 to the cost of my steak qualifies as "for a fraction of the typical deli price". Unless the fraction they're talking about is like 7/8 or 11/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The bags aren't reuseable. I'm pretty sure they are talking about a fraction of the cost of already dry aged steak so in that sense it works as long as you don't try to calculate your time investment.

Anyway, I bought those Umai bags a while ago and used it for a tri-tip. It did what it was supposed to do and the steak came out pretty good. No idea if it would have been exactly the same if I had just left it uncovered in my kitchen fridge for 3 weeks, but somehow I doubt it. I think going bagless is great if you have a dedicated fridge for it, but these seem designed for people who want to play around with dry aging without requiring any additional space or special equipment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Phanatic posted:

That doesn't seem big enough to hold a chunk of meat that would be worth dry-aging. You really can't dry-age individual steaks, you need to go with primals or at least sub-primals.
Yeah, you seem to have slept through the whole fad of dry aging individual steaks in residential fridges. It was definitely A Thing several years ago.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
I hope to try SV some day soon, just wondering if it's possible to do a nice, big pork shoulder for pulled pork? What about a whole chicken? Seems like what most of you are doing is thinner cuts of meat, so I've gotta ask if I'm truly off base here

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The typical guideline is that 4 inches of thickness is about the limit of SV safety. I haven't seen a lot of pork shoulders thicker than that, a chicken is more iffy, but if you break it down first, you can SV it, no problem.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, fabricate the bird, bag and puddle the bits individually, make stock with the carcass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think generally you wanna stick to things that are less than than 4 inches thick in at least one dimension. So spherical shapes like whole large birds are not good because it's the least conducive to having heat get to the center in a timely and safe manner, but a giant slice of ham that's 10x10x4 would be okay because there's at least one dimension through which heat can get to the center quickly.

On top of that whole birds are going to have plenty of bacteria in the center cavity, the place that will get up to safe temperatures last.

To be honest I haven't abided by this all the time, I've done hams that were 8x7x7 or something. But the 4 inch guideline is a pretty good rule to stick with in general to guarantee a minimum level of safety.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 2, 2017

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

LoonyLeif posted:

I hope to try SV some day soon, just wondering if it's possible to do a nice, big pork shoulder for pulled pork? What about a whole chicken? Seems like what most of you are doing is thinner cuts of meat, so I've gotta ask if I'm truly off base here
I regularly SV boneless pork shoulders. My recipe is based on a Bavarian pork roast, not on pulled pork. It works great.
You just need large enough bags. And I do think that SV is not well suited for Bone-in meats.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

A 4-5lb pork butt is my lazy sous vide 18 hour cook for the weekend. The Kenji rub is spot on. I haven't noticed a big difference with the finish in the oven compared to the grill.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just cut up the pork butt into 4 inch pieces. It’s gonna get shredded anyway so it won’t matter. Plus you have more surface area to benefit if you follow it with a quick smoke.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Why would the thickness of the meat matter so much? Sous Vide should transfer heat pretty fast so time in the danger zone should be minimal?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 3, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It doesn't transfer heat very fast because there's so little difference in temperature. Water conducts heat better than air, but you're not putting it in a 500° environment, you're putting it in a 145° (or whatever) puddle.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I do a lot of pork loin (2-2.5 inches thick) in the puddle @145 and it takes at least 2 hours for the temp to get up above 140 in the middle. People severely underestimate how long it takes heat to move through meat at these small differentials. If you look at Douglas Baldwin's charts some of the cook times especially at lower temps like 135 are ridiculous once you get above 30-40mm thick.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've done 8ish-lb shoulders in the puddle at 165 for 24 hours a few times now, finished off for about 3 hours in a smoker without issue. I guess this is a bit risky?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I kind of wonder if the 4 inch rule was written to keep people with non-circulating sous vides from killing themselves and maybe there should be a different rule for people with circulators.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does the circulation make heat diffuse into the meat faster?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It should raise the temperature of the water next to the meat, generally, so yes I guess.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Think of it as standing outside in 20f weather on a calm day, vs a 20f day with 20mph wind. One gets you colder (or hotter in this case) way faster than the other.

VERTiG0 posted:

I've done 8ish-lb shoulders in the puddle at 165 for 24 hours a few times now, finished off for about 3 hours in a smoker without issue. I guess this is a bit risky?

I've heard it said that bacteria are basically all close to the surface of undisturbed muscle. Presumably, once your outer layer reaches a temperature that will kill the bacteria for a given time (see graph on first page of this thread) you should be pretty safe.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does the circulation make heat diffuse into the meat faster?

Helps if the bit at the end is being cooked the same temperature as the part in the middle. Don't know if it'll make things faster, but circulation at least helps to prevent colder areas of the bath.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In thermodynamics, there are different formulae for forced convection and passive convection. As others have stated, water around the food will lose its heat to the food, making the food hotter and the water closely surrounding it colder.

Heat transfer depends on temperature difference, so if you let the cold water convect away naturally (i.e. slowly) you'll have a lower average contact temperature. Better to force circulation, which will make the temperature of the water more even overall. The heating element will be more responsive too, as its thermometer (thermistor or thermocouple? I looked this up once...) will "notice" the changing temperature of the water quicker.

So yes, circulation always increases rate of heat transfer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You can also dunk whatever you’re cooking in boiling water for like 15 seconds to help kill off some of the surface bacteria before it goes in the puddle. I started doing this on longer cooks of larger pieces of meat just in case.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

sterster posted:

Wife got me an Anova for Christmas and also got me a cook book. This is the one that she got me. I like it so far. I've cooked a number of dishes so far which have been good. There is a Siracha Chicken with crispy skin which is good. If you have any questions let me know and I'll look it up for you. One of the things I do like about the book is they give you your cook time like 1hr (up to 4hr). In addition they also point out stuff like re-heating instructions if you plan on making it the night before or something.

https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512083719&sr=8-2&keywords=sous+vide+cookbook

This book is by the creator of the Nomiku btw

FatalTheGod
Oct 11, 2005
I just picked up an Anova and have done some shorter cooks with it, and am now doing something for 24 hours at 132F. Is it safe to leave this running while I'm at work during the day? Everything points to it being safe, but just wanted to gauge opinions.

Also, I'm using a Cambro 18QT container and the bottom of the Anova is very close (less than 1cm) from touching the side of the container. Is this fine/normal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've done 4 day cooks several times and do 48 our cooks regularly. Just make sure it's in a GFCI outlet in your kitchen.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've done 36hr cooks. But I use a modified cooler instead of a pot to help with efficiency.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Any advice for puddling cured pork belly? It's about 3 lbs of unsliced bacon, basically, but I want to carve it and serve it at a party rather than thinly slice it. Any suggestions for temp and time?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Any advice for puddling cured pork belly? It's about 3 lbs of unsliced bacon, basically, but I want to carve it and serve it at a party rather than thinly slice it. Any suggestions for temp and time?

usual temp for bacon sous vide is 145f(per serious eats/anova's guide) over 24h, though Anova says up to 8 days in their guide and kenji 2 days.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

usual temp for bacon sous vide is 145f(per serious eats/anova's guide) over 24h, though Anova says up to 8 days in their guide and kenji 2 days.

Isn’t that assuming you’ll also grill it after?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Mikey Purp posted:

I've done 154f for 24 hours a couple times and it's always come out amazing. I do uncured with a marinade, but I don't think it would affect it much in terms of texture.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pork loin, done about 2.5 hours at 138, seared, and then served with a grenobloise-style caper/parsley/lemon/butter sauce. This one came out perfect - very tender, very moist. I've been doing a pork loin every other week for a while now, and it's been a consistent crowd pleaser.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mikey Purp posted:

I did 145 for 36 hours with the same thing and loved it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Nice, thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably do 154 for 24 hours due to time constraints, but I'm imagining that the results would probably be pretty comparable between that and an extra 12 hours at a lower temp.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Isn’t that assuming you’ll also grill it after?

i guess, but broiling could develop colour for this application instead.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Since I hopped on board this stupid train too late, like I normally do, I've decided to go whole hog today and am doing carrots with dill, leeks poached in basically equal weight in butter, and salmon that was "partially cured" in a straight up sea salt and black pepper rub and then rinsed.

Prediction: "It's all SOFT!" :) (yes I know how this works)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
any recommendations for boneless lamb leg other than doing what kenji recommends?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/sous-vide-leg-of-lamb-mint-cumin-black-mustard-recipe.html

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've had my Anova for about a year but have underutilized it pretty badly. Done some steaks, bulk poached chicken, stuff like that - but last night I took the plunge and did short ribs for 48h at 144F. No fancy seasoning, just a light application of smoked salt, seared, and into the bag with some smashed cloves of garlic and a few peppercorns. The end result was pretty good, although I might back off on the garlic next time.

Now my pot and circulator are crusted in some lovely hard-water gunk. The wife and the cat are both going to love the apartment smelling like vinegar for a few hours :haw:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
When you finish a cook, you can turn the anova down to something like 25C, add some vinegar to the water and let it run for a bit, I find that to help, Munich as really hard water.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've had my Anova for about a year but have underutilized it pretty badly. Done some steaks, bulk poached chicken, stuff like that - but last night I took the plunge and did short ribs for 48h at 144F. No fancy seasoning, just a light application of smoked salt, seared, and into the bag with some smashed cloves of garlic and a few peppercorns. The end result was pretty good, although I might back off on the garlic next time.

Now my pot and circulator are crusted in some lovely hard-water gunk. The wife and the cat are both going to love the apartment smelling like vinegar for a few hours :haw:

How did the garlic come out? I've seen some posters previously say that sous vide garlic comes out a bit weird.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

isn't sous vide garlic a good way to get botulinum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The Midniter posted:

How did the garlic come out? I've seen some posters previously say that sous vide garlic comes out a bit weird.

Yeah, it was a little off - still had a bit of a raw edge despite being infused into the meat. This sounds about right:

https://polyscienceculinary.com/blogs/resources/17216327-sous-vide-faq#COOK

"One difference to traditional methods is the use of raw garlic. Raw garlic added to foods like steak, chicken or fish does not cook at Sous Vide temperatures. The result is an overpowering flavor. To avoid this, we recommend adding garlic after it has been sautéed or roasted."

Jeoh posted:

isn't sous vide garlic a good way to get botulinum

Not at 144F. I suppose for extended cooks below 130ish you'd be putting a lot of trust in your sous vide machine though.