Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

trucutru posted:

How do you know they have 400 people?

They regularly release photos of hundreds of people standing outside their offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
His gimmick is "I'm a loyal shill, Goons need to drink the kool-aid" for about a week, per new account, and then he gives up the ghost. Eventually he is banned and replaced with a slightly worse version of his gimmick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK posted:

They regularly release photos of hundreds of people standing outside their offices.

Regularly?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blep

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

trucutru posted:

How do you know they have 400 people?

DO NOT QUESTION THE FUNDING TRACKER.

It's the only constant throughout the whole lifecycle.

If it's not true, then everything is suspect. Which takes the fun out of the whole thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I feel like this is starting to veer into the realm of speculative fiction

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Regularly?

Well, once a year... except maybe this year.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MilesK posted:

*Chris furiously arranges parties at each studio to have some staff photos uploaded before the end of the month*

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MilesK posted:

How do you know those aren't Craigslist volunteers?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

AP posted:

Also why does anyone care about calling things, I called the engine change, because well, I did, does anyone give a gently caress? No. Nobody gives a poo poo about people on the internet being right, someone being wrong is far more engaging.

I called the engine change first but I won't mention it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golli posted:

Alright, Sandi, you've heard of those "Flash Mob" videos right? Ok good, we need about 300 people to come visit our office, I have a great idea...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens: "Star Citizen is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER and everything's great I hear we'll be getting 90% of the game in the next 6 months."
I believe this has shifted to "Patch X is a pre-alpha sure, but Patch Y, (where Y is X+2), is where the game will REALLY take off and they'll add [favored mechanic]" on the most part.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

We know that in the future we will be able to play females, but I'd like to play other sorts of disabled commandos too.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

AP posted:

That's twice you've had a pop at me for no reason, the last time you were wrong and I even dug out a post of mine to prove it. Some people on SA called Star Citizen a scam when the kickstarter went live in 2012, before I even knew about the thing, so why exactly would I say something as dumb as "nobody knew that things were hosed with Star Citizen until Derek Smart got involved".

I dunno what your problem with me is but it's pretty loving weird.

hmmm

quote:

AP posted:
The way I look at what Derek says is that right from his first blog he knew CIG was hosed and therefore hyperbole to fight hyperbole was more than justified. At the time none of us suspected things were as bad as he said, the scale of the deception involved was too large, none of us believed the FPS module could possibly be a complete failure. Yet it turned out to be true, stupid people have continued to give CIG money despite Derek's warnings, that's why CIG has staggered on for so long and nobody can say Derek could have put more effort into warning them not to.

quote:

AP posted:
Derek Smart is going to be a loving hero when all this is over and that's maybe the funniest thing to me given the impression of his internet reputation I had, before he got involved in this.

For all the talk of hyperbole, in July 2015 Derek was warning people about a two and a half year long 85 million dollar crowdfunding disaster doomed to fail soon. He way, way undersold it, it's 4 years and $130 million with no end in sight.

Just because I'm mocking the guy you have a history of idolizing doesn't mean I'm a bad guy.

AP posted:

VictorianQueerLit seems to be seeking credit for calling Star Citizen hosed before anyone else, especially Derek. It's important that we take a moment to acknowledge his genius, which I've obviously failed to do from the attention I'm getting.

I'm not seeking anymore credit than the other 100 people who have been speculating about this mess. I just happen to think Derek isn't a hero.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 2, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Golli posted:

What's the difference between them and their current workforce?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

That was last year, nowadays they don't. Besides, what does a photo prove? That hundreds of people were there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm exempt from the taxxe because I died during the Lesnick Triple Threat Challenge :smuggo:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Zzr posted:

We know that in the future we will be able to play females, but I'd like to play other sorts of disabled commandos too.

Good news, Star Citizen will feature fully destructible limbs. So you're character can easily lose the ability to walk, and you'll be disabled forever until you work up the courage to kill yourself with the handy suicide button.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like this is starting to veer into the realm of speculative fiction

I do think it's time to stop making 70-line posts for a bit, yes. I have one more post I'm working on about the way the Citizenry seems to see Derek, but it won't be as long as that one and perhaps I should give it a week or two.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So two weeks?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Loxbourne your posts are good. Please :justpost: but don't burn out like gorf did a while back.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Burn out and all you'll be good for are shitposts and bad one liners.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Also double posting as though that somehow turns your garbage joke into the height of comedy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

When he's on a budget, Chris only does the latter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When he's on a budget, Chris only does the latter.

Dusty Lens posted:

Also double posting as though that somehow turns your garbage joke into the height of comedy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:catdrugs:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

one of us

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Put in perspective

$5,300,000 = 88,333 copies of preorders for a $60 dollar game.

Or 29,000 FFXIV / WoW subscribers @ $15 for 12 months.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still can't stop about the insanity of Discolando in his lovely Star Citizen BizCaz uniform running through the loving labyrinth of all the ships in the ship pipeline and all the "phases"

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

At this point, what else is there to be said?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

:colbert:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hav posted:

Awesome :words:

This is a brilliant piece of insight, and at the same time, really puts Crobbers and co in the spotlight because this is known stuff. It's how Silicon Valley and VCs work. It's how Farmville worked. Let me :effort: post this for you.

Farmville (and other games like Mafia Wars) was a creation of Zynga games to run on facebook. It was a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley kind of game that featured achievements, and a bunch of improvements carefully graded to be very difficult to grind for (the cost/benefit between buying an improvement or grinding to it was obviously stacked). What you "bought" were virtual coins to use as you wished in the game and of course the value of those coins was very carefully measured. So it was technically free to play but it deliberately leveraged the social media platform to encourage the very perceptions Hav is talking about. The game hooked into the API to send you messages about what your friends were doing in the game and what you did back to them. What achievements they got, what new thing they earnt, etc. And then the really smart move: offer bonus coins if you invited a certain number of friends. According to one article:

quote:

This is the crux of Zynga's business model: get a big number of players to play a game and get a tiny portion of that big number to pay for it.

Beginning to sound familiar?

What Farmville did was twist the P2W idea so that the most valuable suckers believe it's in their interest. But what Star Citizen is doing is more breathtaking: monetizing the idea of a functioning ecosystem with whales at the top without actually building it. The whales have to believe that in the real game they will be further up the ladder than the general F2P player and they're paying for that privilege. The risk for Crobbers & Co is that the whales realize there will be no huge player base to be kings of, and all the dreams are carefully pitched to suggest there will be. Of course land will be "sold", that assumes a settlement! Of course massive freighters and multi-crewed vehicles are being "sold", there will be crew to man them!

So what happened to Farmville and Zynga? This is the other lesson: they started to believe their own bullshit. They didn't fix bugs, they stopped grooming their victims, they tweaked drop rates to maximise profit and not build player investment in the game, they got obssessed with adding daily active users but not so much keeping them. And in the end Facebook played Zynga, by controlling Zynga's use of changing API rules to maximise profit for Facebook, not Zynga. It's interesting to speculate what might have been if Zynga had gone its own way while it was still very profitable, but they decided to stay with Facebook. Zynga is still going as a mobile games company today, a very different market.

The sad thing is how this is going to burn the space game genre and embitter idiots for decades.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I will never understand the conspiracy that they are faking the staff numbers. We've probably seen a good couple hundred of them on ATV, and even the most ardent backers would feel perturbed taking a tour of an empty office.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The fun thing about Star Citizen and the many conspiracy theories, fan theories, guesses, and called shots, it can all be dreams in your head!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tokamak posted:

I will never understand the conspiracy that they are faking the staff numbers. We've probably seen a good couple hundred of them on ATV, and even the most ardent backers would feel perturbed taking a tour of an empty office.

'Misrepresenting' is probably a better term than 'faking'. If you have 400 people working on a game, but 300 of them are contractors - who may be sitting in the same area as actual employees - then it is misleading to say you have 400 employees. There is a difference in benefits cost (unemployment insurance, etc) to the company and there may be salary savings associated with using contractors over full-time staff, depending on the particulars of the contract.

If you have 400 employees, the implication is that you have made a long-term commitment to 400 families, subliminally increasing the pressure to help them stay employed. Contractors come and go - it's the nature of their business - so having a bunch of them sounds like you have less of a commitment long-term to the product's stability.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ewe2 posted:

This is a brilliant piece of insight, and at the same time, really puts Crobbers and co in the spotlight because this is known stuff. It's how Silicon Valley and VCs work. It's how Farmville worked. Let me :effort: post this for you.

The sad thing is how this is going to burn the space game genre and embitter idiots for decades.

This was a great post. Now you said something that was interesting here. I am going to disagree from a position of what I can see on the horizon for space games. Dual Universe really comes to mind. I think that other game companies saw the market flock to Star Citizen and decided that if they can deliver it better and faster, then so be it. Just a few pages back, there was a post about a PG planet and with a pg city. BeetWagon just posted a commando in UE4 and their Warthog video. These are just a couple of people doing Cig's poo poo, better than Cig.

Now what I do absolutely agree with you about is that the aspect of the game or genre is going to be just fine. What IS going to take a serious blow to it's cred are going to be gaming kickstarters. Chris got paid before he ever had to do the work.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

New schedule report - still no bug/task count 🤔

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus posted:

April 2015

March 2016

November 2017

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how complete was illfonics star marine when croberts canned it? i know they had to lay people off because of it, gently caress croberts