Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of The Deep - could someone spoil me on its story? I am very much a pet person so it's not something I am ever going to read but I'm also a huge sucker for everything marine horror.

I recommended this book because I like it but a large part of why I like it is how ridiculous it is.
There's a fast-acting, seemingly incurable Alzheimer's making large swaths of the country unable to care for themselves. The main character's estranged genius brother is a scientist working in a deep sea station, and sends for the main character to join him, despite not having seen him since they were kids. The military sends him there in a submarine because this deep sea station is the only place that might have a treatment for this plague. As he gets down to the station, he finds that most of the crew are dead, one person is a raving lunatic, and his brother is stranger than ever. There's a dog running around the station. The main character's genius brother shows him this super-strong miracle goo organism he found on the ocean floor, that's impossibly thin and strong and almost invisible and able to masquerade as human tissue and at this point we the audience can see how absolutely turbofucked everyone down there is, but they seemingly don't recognize the implications here, having none of them ever seen John Carpenter's The Thing. The submarine to the surface is immediately sabotaged. The main character and his brother were traumatized earlier when they were children, and also the main character's young son suddenly disappeared while they were both playing at a local park a few years before the story began. Things deteriorate, the genius brother makes mice evil with the evil goo. The main character has dreams that the evil goo is evil and is showing him things. Can this be true? Obviously not. We find out that genius brother murdered their abusive mom when they were younger, to save the main character. Is the dog a goo monster in disguise? Genius brother pulls an underwater Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption with the evil goo, which is strong enough to replace the underwater station's hull. We find out that the main character's son was snatched years ago by a horrible burrowing tunnel from the bottom of the ocean where the goo lives, long before he even entered the story. We find out that the evil goo was responsible for both brothers' abusive parents, and had been making their meaningless lives miserable all along. Oh no, will they bring the evil goo to the surface? Does it cure the forgetting plague? It doesn't matter, really, because it was always there, and also everywhere, everybody is hosed, and actually always was, goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, wow. That's... some escalation. Thanks.
I think.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
that sounds like poo poo

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

It's better than I give it credit for. The plot elements are ridiculous but each of them is really well-written inside the context of the story.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
well, everyone might not be entirely hosed. the villains did refer to being crippled and stuck due to some higher force that found them to be twisted horrible creatures. i actually liked the tumble down that rabbit-hole. usually some parts of what happens in these kinds of stories are dreams or hallucinations or whatever... in this everything horrible has been happening, everything ugly has been plotted out since the beginning of this character's life, it's all just a macabre game for the most malevolent and petty of cosmic entities.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of The Deep - could someone spoil me on its story? I am very much a pet person so it's not something I am ever going to read but I'm also a huge sucker for everything marine horror.

I picked up The Deep for a reread because of this thread to see if it was as disturbing as I remember it being. Jesus Christ it’s nightmare fuel on basically every page. Maybe it helps/hurts that I’ve served on subs, but the whole loving book gives me the jim-jams in the worst way. Hell, you could cut out the “supernatural” crap and just have it be “everybody loses their loving poo poo 8 miles below the ocean surface” and it would be just as scary if not more.

Honestly, read the book. It’s horror, so of course it’s going to upset you and there’s animal cruelty and child abuse and whatnot, but if you read horror for the shivers, it’ll get ya.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chernobyl kinsman posted:

that sounds like poo poo

I thought it was when I read it. There are some interesting ideas in it, but it felt derivative and contrived

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The Deep audiobook is fantastic. Corey Brill’s voice sounds so desperate and it works perfectly. He’s narrated almost all of Nick Cutter’s stuff.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

You guys should give Peter Watts's Rifters trilogy a shot if you're looking for seriously weird, creepy deep sea horror books. It's a bit rough in places since it was his first series , but he does underwater horror waaaaaay better.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

johnsonrod posted:

You guys should give Peter Watts's Rifters trilogy a shot if you're looking for seriously weird, creepy deep sea horror books. It's a bit rough in places since it was his first series , but he does underwater horror waaaaaay better.

I'm sold, even if it's rough. Blindsight is practically a horror novel in its own right, so I 100% believe Watts can do good deep sea horror. Also I'm pretty sure he was a marine biologist or something before he became a writer, so yay for that too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did he recover from that flesh eating bacteria or whatever it was that was loving him up?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm sold, even if it's rough. Blindsight is practically a horror novel in its own right, so I 100% believe Watts can do good deep sea horror. Also I'm pretty sure he was a marine biologist or something before he became a writer, so yay for that too.

I LOVED Blindsight and Echopraxia so I'm gonna check out Rifters ASAP.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neurosis posted:

well, everyone might not be entirely hosed. the villains did refer to being crippled and stuck due to some higher force that found them to be twisted horrible creatures. i actually liked the tumble down that rabbit-hole. usually some parts of what happens in these kinds of stories are dreams or hallucinations or whatever... in this everything horrible has been happening, everything ugly has been plotted out since the beginning of this character's life, it's all just a macabre game for the most malevolent and petty of cosmic entities.

Ah true, but I took being crippled and stuck due to some higher force that found them to be twisted horrible creatures as not at all keeping them from doing what they did to the main character over his entire life to basically anyone else.

johnsonrod posted:

I only read audiobooks now because I am an oafish degenerate, and I know Rifters is amazing and I keep hoping they come out with audiobooks for them. With how popular Peter Watts is I would have thought they'd have already made them. Maybe it's because the text of Rifters is free online?
Anyway, if you aren't a smoothbrained non-reader, Rifters is free from the author! And you can read it online here.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So John Hornor Jacobs is working on a new story in the Southern Gods universe, so I figured I’d plug Southern Gods while I’m thinking about it. Redneck Mafia enforcer tooling around post WW2 Deep-South trying to track down a Nylarthotep-possessed bluesman whose music makes people go batshit. It is great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

navyjack posted:

So John Hornor Jacobs is working on a new story in the Southern Gods universe, so I figured I’d plug Southern Gods while I’m thinking about it. Redneck Mafia enforcer tooling around post WW2 Deep-South trying to track down a Nylarthotep-possessed bluesman whose music makes people go batshit. It is great.

The first sentence of the back covers synopsis, intrigued me:

quote:

Recent World War II veteran Bull Ingram is working as muscle when a Memphis DJ hires him to find Ramblin' John Hastur.

But these snippets from 1 star reviews sealed the deal:

quote:

I had a gut feeling, after a couple of chapters (because of the gratuitous violence) that I should stop reading it

quote:

...the story is cruel.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

Did he recover from that flesh eating bacteria or whatever it was that was loving him up?

that was a while back, I'm pretty sure he's bounced back from it.

and yeah, I'll also recommend Watts' stuff. sci fi horror is one way to describe it. bleak as hell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Southern Gods is great. Jacobs doesn't quite stick the landing at the end, but the journey is incredible.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Southern Gods is great. Jacobs doesn't quite stick the landing at the end, but the journey is incredible.

The end is the weak part, too, I think, but not enough to stop me enthusiastically recommending it. He’s gotten better as a writer in his stuff since then, so I have high hopes for this new thing. (Which is a novella and not a sequel, according to his twitter)

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

that was a while back, I'm pretty sure he's bounced back from it.

and yeah, I'll also recommend Watts' stuff. sci fi horror is one way to describe it. bleak as hell.

For anyone who liked Blindsight and Echopraxia, Watt's did a fake lecture on how they recreated the vampires from the books. It's in the form of a powerpoint presentation from the pharma company that stumbled across the discovery and how they capitalised on it. It's pretty old but I figure some people may not have seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdCvGDpM9k

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How's Cutter's "The Troop"? The biggest complain I seem to be seeing is that it's horrifically gruesome but I'm a gore-hound so it sounds right up my alley.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I've heard people recommend World of Hurt by Brian Hodge as a real gut punch. That's not always indicative of good, though. Worth reading?

I have it up for a possible next read I read Marc Laidlaw's The 37th Mandala:

quote:

The mandalas have always been among us, unseen and uncalled. Those few occult masters who have encountered them have known to leave them alone, for to these unholy forces we are mere playthings, insignificant tools to be used, fed upon—and eventually discarded.

When New Age charlatan Derek Crowe learns the secrets of the mandalas he sees only the opportunity for easy money. He ignores the warnings, alters the mystical texts to make the dreaded mandalas seem benevolent to a gullible public, then publishes his book and waits for the profits to roll in. But Crowe is all too successful. For he has inadvertently released upon the earth a horror that is beyond all understanding or control—a horror both infinite and hungry.

Sounds extremely like my poo poo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rough Lobster posted:

I've heard people recommend World of Hurt by Brian Hodge as a real gut punch. That's not always indicative of good, though. Worth reading?

Brian Hodge is always worth reading.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

How's Cutter's "The Troop"? The biggest complain I seem to be seeing is that it's horrifically gruesome but I'm a gore-hound so it sounds right up my alley.

I’m halfway through and enjoying how the story flashes between the ongoing narrative and after-the-fact explanations of what caused it. It’s also an amazing appetite suppressant.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Muninn posted:

I’m halfway through and enjoying how the story flashes between the ongoing narrative and after-the-fact explanations of what caused it. It’s also an amazing appetite suppressant.

I think that must be true of most of Cutter's stuff. I usually read during my lunch break and that is not an advisable time to crack open The Deep either.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks whoever was talking about Skullcrack City, that was a really fun read.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Rough Lobster posted:

No

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess my main problem with Worlds Of Hurt is that the whole thing turns on the biblical god being evil, but the thing is, the heaven they describe isn't all that scary to me. Very crappy? Yes. Scary, no. Kinda ruins the effect overall.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess my main problem with Worlds Of Hurt is that the whole thing turns on the biblical god being evil, but the thing is, the heaven they describe isn't all that scary to me. Very crappy? Yes. Scary, no. Kinda ruins the effect overall.

It's been a bit since I read it, but if i remember they don't ever actually describe what's really happening there? The main character talks about realizing that the whole "light at the end of the tunnel, pearly gates, heaven as paradise" thing is a put on because he noticed that every being there is acting more like its been tortured and abused and forced to put on this show for new souls rather than it being a genuinely nice place, and that there was an overwhelming sense of greed and poo poo like that, but in my memory at no point is it ever shown what actually goes on there. There's a strong implication that the being impersonating God is eating souls, so who knows what that could mean, but other than that it's more or less entirely left to the reader's imagination, informed by the brutal, evil, petty nature that the "God" thing is laid out as having in some of the other stories as well.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

Brian Hodge is always worth reading.

agreed. some of his earlier stuff is not quite as gripping, but even the worst of his i've read has been worthwhwhile, and his more recent stuff is consistently great. interested that he will be publishing a dark fantasy horror book in that new rpg setting, the lost citadel. sure, it's licensed fiction, but licensed fiction by good authors is still by a good author, and i think dark fantasy horror is underdone.

edit: oh, great, the guy behind this setting has been accused of sexual harassment and the publisher is cutting ties with him. who knows where that leaves the book.

TOOT BOOT posted:

while the book appears to indicate a biblical god, it's not really explicitly that that is what's up. i didn't think we saw enough of the other side to form an opinion on how scary it was. but the way having been to that side affects those who have been temporarily dead i found plenty unsettling.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think that must be true of most of Cutter's stuff. I usually read during my lunch break and that is not an advisable time to crack open The Deep either.

the acolyte manages to feel somehow unclean even though it is far lighter on gore than the deep or the troop. pretty quick and enjoyable.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 2, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

hopterque posted:

It's been a bit since I read it, but if i remember they don't ever actually describe what's really happening there?

Your summary is right on the money, I think.

Also I thought The Troop was Cutter's weakest but still worth a read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They explained the afterlife in Worlds of Hurt - you’re locked on a shelf in a cosmic bank vault for all eternity by a covetous higher power, and the heavenly choir are people pleading to get out. It’s pretty nasty, especially if you know what prolonged confinement does to someone’s mind.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm halfway through The Deep and it's such a good concept and so completely Goosebumps in execution.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I'm halfway through The Deep and it's such a good concept and so completely Goosebumps in execution.

I feel the same. I get why people were saying earlier that it's contrived or not a great book, and it's not, if you're looking for something very literary or unique. But to me it feels like really good slasher movies---you don't really expect the story to be intricately crafted, so much as deliver some scares and really unsettling scenes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel the same. I get why people were saying earlier that it's contrived or not a great book, and it's not, if you're looking for something very literary or unique. But to me it feels like really good slasher movies---you don't really expect the story to be intricately crafted, so much as deliver some scares and really unsettling scenes.

Yeah. Even early on, you realize that even if someone makes it out alive, ain’t nobody gonna make it out “ok.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GrandpaPants posted:

Flesh eating bacteria was a while ago and there haven't been any further episodes I'm aware of of that freaky maybe-neurological whatsit.

also I wish I lived closer to Toronto so I'd been able to make it to the Inexplicable Peter Watts Conference :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hopterque posted:

It's been a bit since I read it, but if i remember they don't ever actually describe what's really happening there? The main character talks about realizing that the whole "light at the end of the tunnel, pearly gates, heaven as paradise" thing is a put on because he noticed that every being there is acting more like its been tortured and abused and forced to put on this show for new souls rather than it being a genuinely nice place, and that there was an overwhelming sense of greed and poo poo like that, but in my memory at no point is it ever shown what actually goes on there. There's a strong implication that the being impersonating God is eating souls, so who knows what that could mean, but other than that it's more or less entirely left to the reader's imagination, informed by the brutal, evil, petty nature that the "God" thing is laid out as having in some of the other stories as well.

Still Worlds of Hurt: I got the impression that it's not necessarily a show for new souls, it's just that the Demiurge likes to be praised by pretty hymns and so if you cater to it forever eternity might suck less.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

General Battuta posted:

Hahahah. That's a perfect way of explaining it.

Plus if you see anyone other than Jeffrey Combs doing his best Herbert West when envisioning the mad doctor then you need your head checking out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I saw hardbound collections of Lovecraft's work at Costco of all places today.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

I saw hardbound collections of Lovecraft's work at Costco of all places today.

Oh yeah. The one by me has had that for at least a year. Definitely a double take as I was loading up on Kirkland Vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Finished The Deep. It is by no means high literature but it's fun in a way that 80s gorefest horror movies were fun (a previous poster's reference to Re-Animator is very apt). Also the spoilered synopsis earlier is both accurate and doesn't quite cover how bizarre and tense the book is at moments. I know this is damning praise for some horror fans, but it falls firmly into the category of "a fun read" for me.