Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Forgive me for butchering what I’m about to describe, but it may be a related issue:

Someone quoted someone from a different thread and I clicked the name to, hopefully, go to the in that other thread. It gave me the same error the leper’s colony is showing.

It seems to work fine if the quote is leading farther up in the same thread though.

All that said, I love and appreciate this app. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

lepers colony is fixed on an upcoming build.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

baram. posted:

lepers colony is fixed on an upcoming build.

I came here to complain about this issue, but I guess you've already fixed it. Good job.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gently caress me, I shipped the wrong build as 3.31. Expect a fix to the "Post Not Found" error real quick I guess.

spanky the dolphin posted:

I made a post a while back with some suggestions for color values with that and last read in mind that'd be good to test.

A seperate idea for the UI I thought could look good is a slight rounding of the corners of each post, it'd fit a bit more into the look of ios11 (in a good way!) and help to seperate posts at a glance as you scroll.

Oh yeah, I remember that, and there's even an open issue for it. My bad :)

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like the idea of gifv in VLC and maybe themes for the X and the Pro screens?

Good ideas!

Mad Wack posted:

can we get the iphone plus landscape view for the iphone x?

I'll make a note of it because it is a big screen, and I wanna do some related work in the same area of the app so it might even happen sooner rather than later, but for now the reason it doesn't work is

Zero One posted:

I'm not an iOS developer but I was reading about this on Ars yesterday.

Basically Apple doesn't consider the X big enough to support the Plus (and iPad) extended landscape layouts.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

This is happening on iOS 10.3.2 on iPad as well. Can't expand or collapse subforum lists. Landscape mode and portrait with the slide out both seem to be affected and it always crashes the app.

Sorry about that. I really need to dig in to this and the thread list thing and make things work. I've been putting it off and, shockingly, it's not getting any better on its own.

obstipator posted:

I’m unable to upload images for the telephone.

I get protocol error:

e: lol nvm. that pic uploaded fine

e2: i cant upload small pics 🤔🤔🤔

Sorry about that, I'll toss it on the pile of image upload errors I need to fix!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can't filter by thread tag. I can click the thing at the top of the open forum but it doesn't show me tags to choose anymore.

That's been going around a bit. It's on my list to dig in, I'll +1 it.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Forgive me for butchering what I’m about to describe, but it may be a related issue:

Someone quoted someone from a different thread and I clicked the name to, hopefully, go to the in that other thread. It gave me the same error the leper’s colony is showing.

It seems to work fine if the quote is leading farther up in the same thread though.

All that said, I love and appreciate this app. Thanks!

Explanation clear as day and it'll be fixed in the next version!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Um. See the Trump thread.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if this is related to the Lepers Colony links not going back to the original post but something similar appears to be broken

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1

Tapping on the links in the OP that go to posts later in this thread return a "Post Not Found" error. It works properly in the browser version

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Copy URL then paste adds a space at the start that isn't in the clipboard to be pasted.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I post a picture using the awful app is it automatically a timg? I am super late to the game and just noticed that posting images directly from my phone was an option.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If I post a picture using the awful app is it automatically a timg? I am super late to the game and just noticed that posting images directly from my phone was an option.

If it's bigger than a certain size yeah. I've requested a no timg option

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I don't know if it's 11.2 or the app but sometimes when I come back from sleep a gray box covers the part of the screen where the keyboard shows up. It's about the same gray as dark-theme iOS keyboard character keys.

I know it's not the keyboard because I can still touch the bottom bar and it very briefly goes to whichever section I touched before being covered entirely in gray (with the status bar still overlaid at the top). Force close fixes it but urgh.

E: Sorry, only about half keyboard height, but this time it even happened after switching back to it from another app.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 4, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’ve been stuck with the infinite preview loop for a few months.

When replying to the thread, I click preview, my only option is to continue clicking preview. If I click cancel and then try to post, it brings up my post in the actual preview window and then let’s me post.

So it would seem to be that when clicking preview initially and it switching to the “bugged” preview window, it is failing to load whatever code calls for the post button. Cancelling and reloading the post calls the proper code.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The colony is fixed! and it is much appreciated. Thank-you.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

So, is there a trick to getting Awful to cooperate with Chrome/Youtube? Both apps are installed, the settings are set to open links in those apps, but both when pressing links and long-pressing links and selecting "Open in (relevant app)" it just goes straight to Safari for both. Am I a big dum-dum for missing an option or toggle somewhere?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Finally. My lepers colony browsing experience.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol so they trained ios devs to think in size classes for 3 years and then just got rid of them for the iphone x?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Regular Nintendo posted:

Lol so they trained ios devs to think in size classes for 3 years and then just got rid of them for the iphone x?

iphonex just subscribes to the same size classes as the regular iPhone I think

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Mordiceius posted:

When replying to the thread, I click preview, my only option is to continue clicking preview. If I click cancel and then try to post, it brings up my post in the actual preview window and then let’s me post.

So it would seem to be that when clicking preview initially and it switching to the “bugged” preview window, it is failing to load whatever code calls for the post button. Cancelling and reloading the post calls the proper code.

I had this too, but it disappeared after uninstalling and reinstalling the app. But I’m guessing you already tried that?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Harsh, but fair. I don't know what I'm doing, either.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I just had a weird bug that may not be Awful’s fault, but came up while trying to make a post from Awful.

I tried to reply to a thread, hit reply, and the app crashed. When I reopened it, my bookmarks page shows the thread with one unread post, killed by me, but when I click on it I get a blank where the post should be, just black, no posts at all. I can scroll to the top and get the parent forum / previous posts / scroll to end buttons. When I hit previous posts, all the posts before the one I tried to make appear, but without an “end of thread” note. When I drag up from the bottom to load more posts, then the end of thread note appears. If I go back to my bookmarks, it still shows my waiting unread post. Loading the thread in Firefox shows the post is not there, but my usercp.php DOES show the waiting unread post just like in Awful.

Either the forums are loving something up or something about Awful making the post hosed the forums up, who knows, I’m not a computers mechanic

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
11.2 on a 7. Whenever I expand something in the main forum list e.g. SHSC -> yospos, the app crashes. Happens consistently even after restarting the phone.

ed: logout / login seems to have fixed it.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 10, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

VanSandman posted:

Um. See the Trump thread.

Ahahaha welp. I'll make a note!

Keith Atherton posted:

I don't know if this is related to the Lepers Colony links not going back to the original post but something similar appears to be broken

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1

Tapping on the links in the OP that go to posts later in this thread return a "Post Not Found" error. It works properly in the browser version

Weird. I'll take a look!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Copy URL then paste adds a space at the start that isn't in the clipboard to be pasted.

There's a bit of that going around. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

dont be mean to me posted:

I don't know if it's 11.2 or the app but sometimes when I come back from sleep a gray box covers the part of the screen where the keyboard shows up. It's about the same gray as dark-theme iOS keyboard character keys.

I know it's not the keyboard because I can still touch the bottom bar and it very briefly goes to whichever section I touched before being covered entirely in gray (with the status bar still overlaid at the top). Force close fixes it but urgh.

E: Sorry, only about half keyboard height, but this time it even happened after switching back to it from another app.

That is super weird. I wonder if it's related to the weird grey bars that appear sometimes at the top of the thread lists on iPad. They look superficially similar.

Mordiceius posted:

Sorry about this. It's on my radar to fix, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Happy to have another report though, it all helps.

Antilles posted:

So, is there a trick to getting Awful to cooperate with Chrome/Youtube? Both apps are installed, the settings are set to open links in those apps, but both when pressing links and long-pressing links and selecting "Open in (relevant app)" it just goes straight to Safari for both. Am I a big dum-dum for missing an option or toggle somewhere?

No trick, you're not missing anything. Probably a bug. I'll make an note; in the meantime, it's possible that deleting Awful and reinstalling it might do something? But that's not much of a fix.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Size classes have always been useless garbage and I tell anyone who will listen at every opportunity. Huge waste of time. I mean if they solve a problem for you then have at 'er but I always seem to need to toggle a few constraints on/off at breakpoints besides size classes and then the end is nigh.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I just had a weird bug that may not be Awful’s fault, but came up while trying to make a post from Awful.

I tried to reply to a thread, hit reply, and the app crashed. When I reopened it, my bookmarks page shows the thread with one unread post, killed by me, but when I click on it I get a blank where the post should be, just black, no posts at all. I can scroll to the top and get the parent forum / previous posts / scroll to end buttons. When I hit previous posts, all the posts before the one I tried to make appear, but without an “end of thread” note. When I drag up from the bottom to load more posts, then the end of thread note appears. If I go back to my bookmarks, it still shows my waiting unread post. Loading the thread in Firefox shows the post is not there, but my usercp.php DOES show the waiting unread post just like in Awful.

Either the forums are loving something up or something about Awful making the post hosed the forums up, who knows, I’m not a computers mechanic

The crash is definitely Awful's fault. The ghost post I'm less sure. Not long ago a bunch of threads got hosed and you'd see that kind of ghost post a lot, it'd only be freed after some more posts appeared in the thread. But I think most of those threads (including this one's predecessor) closed and started anew to work around the problem. It's possible that Awful sent a hosed up request that got half accepted by the Forums or something, but I'm not looking forward to reproducing that issue. Anyway, I'll make a note for sure.

Kerbtree posted:

11.2 on a 7. Whenever I expand something in the main forum list e.g. SHSC -> yospos, the app crashes. Happens consistently even after restarting the phone.

ed: logout / login seems to have fixed it.

Fixing this is my current lil project, hope I get it done someday!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

obstipator posted:

I’m unable to upload images for the telephone.

I get protocol error:

e: lol nvm. that pic uploaded fine

e2: i cant upload small pics 🤔🤔🤔

I'm getting this error every time I try to upload a picture of any size for about the last month or so.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Does the app crash for anyone else when trying to edit or even just open the sub-menus on the main page?

Anytime I click one of the forums to expand or edit it kicks me back to the home screen.

iOS 11.1.2
iPhone X

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Alfalfa posted:

Does the app crash for anyone else when trying to edit or even just open the sub-menus on the main page?

Anytime I click one of the forums to expand or edit it kicks me back to the home screen.

iOS 11.1.2
iPhone X

I can open the sub-forums just fine on my 6+. Guess that means you need to trade me phones :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there a way to get twitter links to open in the Tweetbot app rather than the official Twitter app?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Bug (iPhone 6s, ios 11.0.3, current test flight version): deleting a thread in my bookmarks causes me to be unable to open aby thread in my bookmarks. I can scroll the list but tapping anything results in no reaction at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A couple secret forums visible

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Retard Forum for Assholes is actually invite-only for retarded assholes.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Is there a way to get twitter links to open in the Tweetbot app rather than the official Twitter app?

Seconding this request!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

carry on then posted:

Anyone else having an issue with external links when using Awful Browser? Specifically, tapping the link causes the status bar text to darken but nothing else happens, and the app starts behaving oddly? Trying to track this thing down but I’m not sure if anyone else is seeing it.

I've had that happen at least once, but I'm quite sure it was before the last update. I didn't report it because it didn't recur. (may have happened twice, can't remember for sure.)

e: iPhone SE, if that helps at all

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 18, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Links to threads/posts in the forums open in a browser and only after a long press. Any way we can get them to open in the app?

Most current app and iOS version.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if this is a thing you can troubleshoot but I use Swype as my keyboard, and every so often while I'm in Awful, the keyboard will jump to the number/special character keyboard and stop responding. This didn't happen on my 6s, so maybe there's some iPhone X bug in Swype or Awful that needs to be addressed? It's happened on iOS 11.2 and 11.2.1.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Still can't upload images (getting -1 response from imgur regularly). Latest version and ios. anything I can provide to help with this issue? Tried deleting the app and clearing the cache to no avail.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think it’s because of the HEIC or whatever Apple moved to. I have the same problem. But my images look so good.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

iajanus posted:

Still can't upload images (getting -1 response from imgur regularly). Latest version and ios. anything I can provide to help with this issue? Tried deleting the app and clearing the cache to no avail.

I fixed this by using an image editing app (Art Studio Lite - I'm sure there are many more) and saving the file in that app. Changes the file format to something the app likes. You've got plat so you can bypass imgur

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

I fixed this by using an image editing app (Art Studio Lite - I'm sure there are many more) and saving the file in that app. Changes the file format to something the app likes. You've got plat so you can bypass imgur

Wait, I'm an idiot - how do I do the last part of this in the app?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Press and hold for the Select-Select All-Paste etc menu that appears. Tap the arrow at the right and it will have an option to choose [img]

Then you can choose "From Library" and pick a photo in the photos on your phone

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Press and hold for the Select-Select All-Paste etc menu that appears. Tap the arrow at the right and it will have an option to choose [img]

Then you can choose "From Library" and pick a photo in the photos on your phone

That just uploads to imgur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah that's how I've been doing it

E: and lol I took a screenshot of the error to post here and then couldn't upload it :D :suicide: