Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

I like the MS Word feature that basically says “hey dickhead, don’t use so many words here”
My biggest problem - I am the run-on king.

Also only one person who quoted me noticed my grammar mistakes? I thought it was a pretty clever post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Also only one person who quoted me noticed my grammar mistakes? I thought it was a pretty clever post.

I saw them. They were ok.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're joke is not that funny and your getting cocky about it

it was p good but i had nothing to add

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn’t want to you get a big ego.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To subtle.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

hihifellow posted:

To subtle.
That's how you do it, this guy gets it!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Christ he's a goon...

micromancer isn't the only internet famous goon. i think most of the internet famous people, certainly the ones from before 2010 or so, are goons

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Edit: damnit, didn't see the next page

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

micromancer isn't the only internet famous goon. i think most of the internet famous people, certainly the ones from before 2010 or so, are goons

He never posts here anymore, but one of the last posts I saw of his was that he had lost multiple jobs because those pictures kept popping up and his managers would see them. Pretty much that those pictures he took as a joke ruined his life. :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's how you do it, this guy gets it!

I'm having fun with the grammatical mistake's.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Started my new job this week. Still trying to feel things out, learn how things work, and what my day-to-day role will be. But I've already managed to take advantage of a benefit I didn't have at my last job:

Sick time!! I got food poisoning from eating a lovely reuben from the cafeteria, and had to call in on my 5th day on the job. Not that there's a good time to get food poisoning, but gently caress. Not the impression I wanted to make with my new boss and co-workers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Started my new job this week. Still trying to feel things out, learn how things work, and what my day-to-day role will be. But I've already managed to take advantage of a benefit I didn't have at my last job:

Sick time!! I got food poisoning from eating a lovely reuben from the cafeteria, and had to call in on my 5th day on the job. Not that there's a good time to get food poisoning, but gently caress. Not the impression I wanted to make with my new boss and co-workers.

Everyone understands poo poo happens (possibly literally in your case!), if they don't understand that you don't want to work with/for them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Your the "worst", and i need this to stop "as soon as possible." J

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sirotan posted:

Not the impression I wanted to make with my new boss and co-workers.
Think of it like an acid test, any "normal" job will just leave you be and go through the motions.

It's funny because at my last place I would always watch out for newbies who would inevitably get struck down by the office cold/flu after a week or so of joining.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh come on guys I don't know why your giving him such a hard time it's not like you're grammar is perfect

hihifellow posted:

To subtle.

Thanks Ants posted:

:golfclap:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Your the "worst", and i need this to stop "as soon as possible." J

Ok, settle down there Satan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Super Slash posted:

Think of it like an acid test, any "normal" job will just leave you be and go through the motions.

It's funny because at my last place I would always watch out for newbies who would inevitably get struck down by the office cold/flu after a week or so of joining.

Read this post about six times and I still can't figure out if you're being serious or insinuating something.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sirotan posted:

Read this post about six times and I still can't figure out if you're being serious or insinuating something.

They poisoned you on purpose.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They poisoned you on purpose.

Not porpoise, pinnipid.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Do major software companies even do any testing at all anymore?

Apple pushes a patch for the ridiculous "root" bug. Said patch completely borks file sharing on OSX, so they release another patch for that. Then the High Sierra update released Friday brings the root bug back!

Not to be one-upped by Apple, MS breaks Windows Update, again... https://www.computerworld.com/article/3239729/microsoft-windows/windows-update-for-win7-broken-throwing-error-80248015.html. Reportedly it is affecting more than just Windows 7.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We dispatch service calls to service providers. Each provider has an email address. Some providers are small and this works perfectly, other providers have say, 10 service technicians so in theory there are 10 people who need to potentially receive an email.

The problem is each provider is a vendor in our system, and they can have one email address. You can't use a group or list. In our old system, our customer service reps would manually forward the dispatch to a distribution list in Outlook. They're still doing that now.

We were going to try to customize our ERP system so that you could use a list instead of a single email, but it wasn't possible. One of the customer service guys has done helpdesk before so he's suggested we change all the service vendors in the system to dispatch@company.com and then setup this massive clusterfuck of Outlook rules to send them out to the needed people.

Bad idea because now you've moved all your tickets to this other computer running Outlook, you're going to hit rule limits, this is going to get hosed when we upgrade our version of Hosted Exchange, all the contacts are now not in the ERP system but in some Outlook mailbox...

The solution to this is simple: Make the service providers create a distribution list ON THEIR END. It's not our problem. It'd be great if the software had this feature, but it doesn't.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

Do major software companies even do any testing at all anymore?

Apple pushes a patch for the ridiculous "root" bug. Said patch completely borks file sharing on OSX, so they release another patch for that. Then the High Sierra update released Friday brings the root bug back!

Not to be one-upped by Apple, MS breaks Windows Update, again... https://www.computerworld.com/article/3239729/microsoft-windows/windows-update-for-win7-broken-throwing-error-80248015.html. Reportedly it is affecting more than just Windows 7.

Solution: Just don't update at all.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

We dispatch service calls to service providers. Each provider has an email address. Some providers are small and this works perfectly, other providers have say, 10 service technicians so in theory there are 10 people who need to potentially receive an email.

The problem is each provider is a vendor in our system, and they can have one email address. You can't use a group or list. In our old system, our customer service reps would manually forward the dispatch to a distribution list in Outlook. They're still doing that now.

We were going to try to customize our ERP system so that you could use a list instead of a single email, but it wasn't possible. One of the customer service guys has done helpdesk before so he's suggested we change all the service vendors in the system to dispatch@company.com and then setup this massive clusterfuck of Outlook rules to send them out to the needed people.

Bad idea because now you've moved all your tickets to this other computer running Outlook, you're going to hit rule limits, this is going to get hosed when we upgrade our version of Hosted Exchange, all the contacts are now not in the ERP system but in some Outlook mailbox...

The solution to this is simple: Make the service providers create a distribution list ON THEIR END. It's not our problem. It'd be great if the software had this feature, but it doesn't.

We had a similar problem a few years ago. But we used GSuite groups to solve it. Make a group for said company/provider called provider@company.com. Put all the required emails in it and then change the ERP system to send emails for that customer to the group address.

Thankfully our ERP vendor finally saw the light and fixed the software to accept multiple email addresses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still think it's the service provider's responsibility for dealing with distributing the dispatch call to their technicians.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

quote:

"Hi, We cannot open our Goal board end of day or Balanced production reports. I went into the IT room and it was beeping when I checked the computer it said a power outage I plugged the computer directly in to the wall and it restarted but we are still getting this error when we try to open the reports"

loving users man. I have no idea how they got into that room. It isn't my problem, but I thought it would be fun to share.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

I still think it's the service provider's responsibility for dealing with distributing the dispatch call to their technicians.

Yeah I read that whole thing and thought "if they want it to go to multiple people, why not create a distribution list?"

Solves the problem for what to do for employee turnover, too.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

The Fool posted:

Contracting dev company is quoting 4 hours to change a favicon and a copyright footer.

Its probably their minimum block?

Bundle it into a bigger CR.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pixelboy posted:

Its probably their minimum block?

Bundle it into a bigger CR.

Minimum block is 2 hours.

It's because it's a customization to our Dynamics 365 portal, and they would be modifying it so that we could specify both items in the Dynamics UI.

I didn't know that was how they wanted to do it when I posted. Whether or not that's best approach is a different argument.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I agree, but also as a developer I find that idea that it's "not possible" do change software that emails 1 person into software that emails n people absurd. I mean perhaps it's not possible for contract or political reasons, but in even the jankiest, shittiest application it's Not That Hard.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
My boss wants us all to start keeping logs of our daily activities. I have been on the fence about :yotj: but this might be the clincher.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

My boss wants us all to start keeping logs of our daily activities. I have been on the fence about :yotj: but this might be the clincher.

2:30pm-2:45pm - Took break, used the restroom and took a huge dump, then quickly masturbated before returning to work. Effect: huge personal morale boost at 0 cost to the company.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Never a good sign. It’s either someone trying to cut down on personnel or your boss not understanding basic management things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why not both!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

9:00AM-10:00AM email
10:00-12:00PM stupid meetings
12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch
1:00PM-3:30PM did actual work
3:30PM-4:00PM documented actual work
4:00PM-5:00PM wrote this stupid summary and made it more detailed like what meetings and what each task in work was

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

9:00AM-10:00AM email
10:00-12:00PM stupid meetings
12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch
1:00PM-3:30PM did actual work
3:30PM-4:00PM documented actual work
4:00PM-5:00PM wrote this stupid summary and made it more detailed like what meetings and what each task in work was

Wait, you actually work 9-5? You lucky bastard. I work 8-5.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This training is a part of the growth and development plan that ABC Co. is placing focus on. Your participation is greatly appreciated by the leadership team and HR. We believe every one of you contributes towards the advancement of our company and for that it is important that we take advantage of these opportunities to improve skills and knowledge as often as we can.

This training sessions shall concentrate on providing tips, tactics and useful information on Emotional Intelligence and how it can benefit you in your career and the growth of the company. Training will be facilitated by Bobbi Meredith, author, speaker, and trainer of Emotional IQ.

We look forward to see you there.

OH BOY CAN'T WAIT

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction..

I have unfortunately been tasked with finding a replacement phone system for our corp. office. Our current system is an 10 year old analog Partner ACS "key" system with 4 inbound PSTN lines, and 15 extensions with large 34 button phones. But we are running into some limitations and problems with it (constant power supply failures, voicemail limitations, etc..) that have finally annoyed everyone enough that the CEO wants to replace it.

We have a unique requirement in that basically everyone in the office has to act as receptionist. If the main receptionist isn't able to answer after 2-3 rings, someone else needs to pick up the call ASAP and handle it (page the person receiving the call and see if they can take it, or transfer to voice mail if need be). The CEO is adamantly against any sort of IVR or queue.

Ideally I would like a system that is relatively inexpensive (say under $3k), self contained, and no licensing bullshit.

So far I have stumbled onto Grandstream with their GXP2170 phones and UCM series PBXs, specifically the UCM6204. (which are ARM boxen running a customized Asterisk). From reading the documentation it should suit us fine.

Any others I should be looking at?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

Never a good sign. It’s either someone trying to cut down on personnel or your boss not understanding basic management things.

I've seen this happen when middle management is asked to account for the time of their underlings, like in a weekly status report or something. So rather than get involved with employees they delegate one of their duties to said employees.

Which isn't good, but isn't end of the world either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction..

I have unfortunately been tasked with finding a replacement phone system for our corp. office. Our current system is an 10 year old analog Partner ACS "key" system with 4 inbound PSTN lines, and 15 extensions with large 34 button phones. But we are running into some limitations and problems with it (constant power supply failures, voicemail limitations, etc..) that have finally annoyed everyone enough that the CEO wants to replace it.

We have a unique requirement in that basically everyone in the office has to act as receptionist. If the main receptionist isn't able to answer after 2-3 rings, someone else needs to pick up the call ASAP and handle it (page the person receiving the call and see if they can take it, or transfer to voice mail if need be). The CEO is adamantly against any sort of IVR or queue.

Ideally I would like a system that is relatively inexpensive (say under $3k), self contained, and no licensing bullshit.

So far I have stumbled onto Grandstream with their GXP2170 phones and UCM series PBXs, specifically the UCM6204. (which are ARM boxen running a customized Asterisk). From reading the documentation it should suit us fine.

Any others I should be looking at?

You should be looking at taking your requirements to a third party and letting them quote you for it, and then have them do everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

You should be looking at taking your requirements to a third party and letting them quote you for it, and then have them do everything.

This. A thousand times this.