Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

It's a Freddie Mercury biopic that reportedly ends at Live Aid, and one that focuses more on Queen as a band than Mercury as a person. It was never going to be good.

And Freddie was all about sex too, so perhaps Singer was an appropriate choice for the topic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

And Freddie was all about sex too, so perhaps Singer was an appropriate choice for the topic...

Brian May has tossed all that out. He somehow has creative control over the project, and is the reason Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out a few years ago (Cohen wanted the movie to focus heavily on some of the more sordid details of Mercury's life, whereas May's vision was that Mercury died halfway through the movie and the rest would focus on how Queen has gone on since his death).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

Same.

The only biopics I'd be real into are total fantasy ones that don't even try to approximate reality and do a weird genre thing. Like, give me a David Bowie biopic where he was Slaughterhouse​-Fived to Mars and learned how to be a rock god from some giant spiders. Like Lisztomania or whatever.

Speaking of, there other good ones out there along those lines? And nothing that's a Velvet Goldmine inspired by kind of thing.

My dream movie has always been a Tom Waits biopic starring Ron Perlman as Tom Waits and Tom Waits as the devil.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timby posted:

Brian May has tossed all that out. He somehow has creative control over the project, and is the reason Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out a few years ago (Cohen wanted the movie to focus heavily on some of the more sordid details of Mercury's life, whereas May's vision was that Mercury died halfway through the movie and the rest would focus on how Queen has gone on since his death).

Even if you are actually in loving Queen, it's so hard to believe that there's a guy with an idea for a movie that's that god drat delusional.

I'm sorry Bry, but guess who we want to see in a movie about Queen? We wanna see the Queen, you stupid gently caress.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My dream movie has always been a Tom Waits biopic starring Ron Perlman as Tom Waits and Tom Waits as the devil.

I'm on board but who's playing Young Tom and who's directing?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Heath Ledger and Kubrick.

Seriously though, Ledger would have made an incredible young Tom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

feedmyleg posted:

Same.

The only biopics I'd be real into are total fantasy ones that don't even try to approximate reality and do a weird genre thing. Like, give me a David Bowie biopic where he was Slaughterhouse​-Fived to Mars and learned how to be a rock god from some giant spiders. Like Lisztomania or whatever.

Speaking of, there other good ones out there along those lines? And nothing that's a Velvet Goldmine inspired by kind of thing.

the only good biopic ive seen is the story of dewey cox

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

get Jim Jarmusch to direct it & i might watch it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Heath Ledger and Kubrick.

Seriously though, Ledger would have made an incredible young Tom

I remember pointing out that TDK's Joker seemed to have a touch of Tom Waits in the voice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If by a touch you mean swiped the entire cadence from a Tom Waits interview wholesale then yeah

https://youtu.be/gCSc6E4yG9s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Even if you are actually in loving Queen, it's so hard to believe that there's a guy with an idea for a movie that's that god drat delusional.

I'm sorry Bry, but guess who we want to see in a movie about Queen? We wanna see the Queen, you stupid gently caress.

Brian May is a pretty interesting guy in his own right, but that's spot on. Just tease the Brian May movie after credits of the Freddie movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Brian May is a pretty interesting guy in his own right, but that's spot on. Just tease the Brian May movie after credits of the Freddie movie.

You know he's trying to figure out a way to work astrophysics into this. He's gonna want it to be like The Theory of Everything or some poo poo.

And that's not even a bad idea! But I don't trust fuckin' Brian May to know the best way to achieve that. Maybe that's cynical and unfair. And maybe Freddie Mercury was too good for this world and Brian May proves it with every inch he refuses to cede to the logical conclusion that you end your loving Queen movie when the face of Queen dies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

You know he's trying to figure out a way to work astrophysics into this. He's gonna want it to be like The Theory of Everything or some poo poo.

Already been done.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

feedmyleg posted:

If by a touch you mean swiped the entire cadence from a Tom Waits interview wholesale then yeah

https://youtu.be/gCSc6E4yG9s

that late 70s australian tour is top notch. crazy fantastic versions of silent night/burma shave

also hell yeah to doing the persona in the interviews

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I liked what Tarentino said about how he'd do an Elvis biopic. Don't do cradle to the grave, as it's both fairly limiting as a format and way too expansive in content. Instead, pick a specific moment, like the day leading up into him walking into the Sun Records studio. Explore their character though that experience.

Personally, if I was to do a Queen biopic, I'd do a fictionalised account of backstage at a Live Aid type event. Feature all four members interacting with various celebrities, occasional flashbacks to important points in the band's history, intersperse interpersonal Drama, Freddy's AIDs, and end with the performance, featuring interlude of Queen's most famous songs. Then we get a weird, ethereal, high concept exit of Freddy from the stage (representing his passing), and in come the actual band along side the actors representing them, with a performance of Bohemian Rhapsody with a number of the guest performances they've had over the years. Conceptually exactly what they want in a format that is actually satisfactory and filmable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I liked what Tarentino said about how he'd do an Elvis biopic. Don't do cradle to the grave, as it's both fairly limiting as a format and way too expansive in content. Instead, pick a specific moment, like the day leading up into him walking into the Sun Records studio. Explore their character though that experience.

Personally, if I was to do a Queen biopic, I'd do a fictionalised account of backstage at a Live Aid type event. Feature all four members interacting with various celebrities, occasional flashbacks to important points in the band's history, intersperse interpersonal Drama, Freddy's AIDs, and end with the performance, featuring interlude of Queen's most famous songs. Then we get a weird, ethereal, high concept exit of Freddy from the stage (representing his passing), and in come the actual band along side the actors representing them, with a performance of Bohemian Rhapsody with a number of the guest performances they've had over the years. Conceptually exactly what they want in a format that is actually satisfactory and filmable.

Or we could just throw that mop-headed twerp into the sea and sing bohemian rhapsody on the drive home.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

I’ve always wanted a highly fictionalized (because it’d probably have to be) retelling of the 24 hours Queen and Bowie spent drinking wine, snorting cocaine, and accidentally writing one of the greatest songs of all time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that is why walk hard is the only good biopic.

hagiographies are gross as hell and i cant imagine a real deep truth

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

K. Waste posted:

And that's not even a bad idea! But I don't trust fuckin' Brian May to know the best way to achieve that. Maybe that's cynical and unfair. And maybe Freddie Mercury was too good for this world and Brian May proves it with every inch he refuses to cede to the logical conclusion that you end your loving Queen movie when the face of Queen dies.

I love May as a musician, but this has been increasingly his thing to manipulate Mercury's image to continue the Queen gravy train.

Some of the stuff works, like Freddie for a Day and I'll give him the We Will Rock You musical. But everything else has been to say that Mercury would love this individual performing with May and Roger Taylor. Taylor keeps his mouth shut mostly and John Deacon has steered clear of all of it for 20 years.

May and Taylor could get a lot out of their names alone, but May would rather use Mercury for his own gain.

(Queen's revival at Live Aid and their rise from 1973-75 would be fun little movies.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

Same.

My friend, have you heard the good news of Space Jam?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know why we're arguing about a Queen biopic when Can't Stop the Music already exists.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I love May as a musician, but this has been increasingly his thing to manipulate Mercury's image to continue the Queen gravy train.

May has also basically unilaterally appointed himself the keeper of Mercury's legacy or some poo poo; that's why he flipped out about Sacha Baron Cohen wanting the biopic to explore Freddie's crazy side. May's response was basically, "We don't talk about that."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you get get Neko Case, Nick Cave, and Ry Cooder in there somewhere, I'm totally loving sold.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I did see the first show of Queen touring with Adam Lambert; and it was great. Adam can’t replace freddie but he was serviceable and the band was as good as ever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bows1 posted:

I did see the first show of Queen touring with Adam Lambert; and it was great. Adam can’t replace freddie but he was serviceable and the band was as good as ever.

I still don't get how Marc Martel didn't take Lambert's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTV1chNHvD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptr3-ThAXAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85IzWVXs-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-TMLrUMwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_97S1ZuXUY

Gonz fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 2, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gonz posted:

I still don't get how Marc Martel didn't take Lambert's place.

Hah, holy poo poo, I went to high school with this guy's brother! Pretty sure he's in a band now, too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Hah, holy poo poo, I went to high school with this guy's brother! Pretty sure he's in a band now, too.

Yep. His younger brother appears to have musical talent, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9marUNpg0E

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gonz posted:

Yep. His younger brother appears to have musical talent, too.

Yeah, I remember his band from high school. Dental Toe, they were called. Because it was the 90s.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey greenlight thread which I haven't checked in god knows how long. Just popping in to draw your attention to CineD Secret Santa which ends tomorrow so please sign up if you want to get movies that will probably not be better than the stuff discuss in this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840701

Thank you for your time.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I hope the Queen film has at least 15 minutes dedicated to Bryan May writing the music for Rise of the Robots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Adam Lambert is a Goon's brother so that's something

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The first trailer for Jurassic Park 5 drops Thursday.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh great, I was wondering why I felt constipated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

The first trailer for Jurassic Park 5 drops Thursday.
whoooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

whoooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard probably care.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gonz posted:

Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard probably care.

They get payed either way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chris Pratt probably has enough money to last him the rest of his life.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I will show my support for actor Chris Pratt by probably watching the trailer of a movie he's in.

Hope he appreciates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just hope the dinosaurs talk and/or have guns this time.

• Locked thread