Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
D shift did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

D shift did nothing wrong

Liar. Villain.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I understand the changes but the Staircase hit hurts Atomy a lot so I'm sad.

The staircase change is really good though. Now it requires some actual decision making to use instead of just tossing it out there willy nilly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimmy Hats posted:

Liar. Villain.

Cygames are the villains for printing an incredibly cool, satisfying, and fun archetype and then printing exactly zero cards that interact with it on any axis

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Dshift is fun, but drawing two with spellboost might be my favorite card in the game. The value, the value.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So... even rooted I have to re-download that huge 900mb data package to reroll? :(

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

cheetah7071 posted:

Cygames are the villains for printing an incredibly cool, satisfying, and fun archetype and then printing exactly zero cards that interact with it on any axis

I have no idea how you'd even interact with dshift. They keep their whole combo in their hand and the combo is "resolve 15-20 spells", in a game with no hand disruption nor counterspells, and they definitely can't print those because of things like dshift where having it discarded or countered means you pretty much instantly lose.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I wish this chest event was the norm, it feels nice being rewarded just for playing ladder matches versus the more constraining dailies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yukari posted:

I have no idea how you'd even interact with dshift. They keep their whole combo in their hand and the combo is "resolve 15-20 spells", in a game with no hand disruption nor counterspells, and they definitely can't print those because of things like dshift where having it discarded or countered means you pretty much instantly lose.

Yeah spellboost would rule an insane amount in an mtg clone, way more than it already rules in this hearthstone clone, I'll agree to that

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 28, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah spellboost would rule an insane amount in an mtg clone, way more than it already rules in this hearthstone clone, I'll agree to the

Sorta? I mean, MtG has 5cc spells that just say take an extra turn, and they aren't insanely busted or gamewinning as dshift is, mostly because it's a blockers choice game and blockers don't tap to block. Like, it's more a comment on "How does interaction with dshift work that isn't something that would break spellboost horribly and make it unplayable." Because all dshift right now is, is "kill their creatures and stall until I get a no-response turn to give all my creatures pseudostorm, and go 20-0 in one turn, possibly 2 if I drew the nuts and have 2 dshifts".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah but 5-mana "counter target spell. Reduce this spells cost by 0. Spellboost: reduce by 1 more" would be the greatest card ever printed in any card game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hell I'd play that card at 8 or 9 mana and love it

e: and more generally I was speaking to spell boost being really cool, not D shift specifically. Some other combo wincon is fine in my books. One already exists in shadowverse, with real counterplay, in the form of Giant Chimera

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah but 5-mana "counter target spell. Reduce this spells cost by 0. Spellboost: reduce by 1 more" would be the greatest card ever printed in any card game

I think they might have done something of that nature, but it always had a non-zero cost in the end, because the reduce mechanic wouldn't ever get rid of the colored mana required to cast it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

There are multiple way and the designers have plenty of Magic (and Hearthstone) experience so the reason D-Shift has not received a counter is because they don't wanna.

You can have that have powerful effects at the start of the opponents turn (instead of the end of yours), you can have damage mitigation (Naoise style) on magic-immune neutrals, you can have Loatheb effects, mill effects, hand-size based effects (that punish having large hands or drawing), armor spells, and many others that would counter the drat thing without hand disruption or counter-spells.

And, unless they want unlimited to risk being complete poo poo, they have to print something.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Loatheb seems like he'd straight up nearly shut down most decks for a turn. Is it like MtG where everything's considered a spell, or is it specifically spells/creatures/etc? I'd argue against mill working since if they have the dshift in hand and are pumping out spells, milling won't do all that much.

The other things are interesting. I'd imagine that a hand-size based effect would be pretty hilarious against dragon too. The other main issue is that if effects are on creatures, they die rather fast usually.

Why would unlimited be a total shitshow without them printing dshift counters?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yukari posted:

I think they might have done something of that nature, but it always had a non-zero cost in the end, because the reduce mechanic wouldn't ever get rid of the colored mana required to cast it.

Hex and I think eternal have costs min at 0 because color requirement is decoupled from total cost

The closest thing to (cost reduction) spellboost in actual magic is delve, which also rules super hard and does have the cost min out at the colored component

Honestly I'd be okay with spellboost getting a bit weaker for a while if the tradeoff was cantrips getting more powerful, I love good cantrips.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Print naoise or aegina as an amulet

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Loatheb seems like he'd straight up nearly shut down most decks for a turn. Is it like MtG where everything's considered a spell, or is it specifically spells/creatures/etc? I'd argue against mill working since if they have the dshift in hand and are pumping out spells, milling won't do all that much.

The other things are interesting. I'd imagine that a hand-size based effect would be pretty hilarious against dragon too. The other main issue is that if effects are on creatures, they die rather fast usually.

Why would unlimited be a total shitshow without them printing dshift counters?

Because once the shift is out of rotation there won't be anything stopping then from printing good low cost spells, which will speed the deck once more. And dshift win condition has no counters.

Something simple like a ward unit with B&B shield would also put a fair speed bump on dshift.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 28, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Because once the shift is out of rotation there won't be anything stopping then from printing good low cost spells, which will speed the deck once more. And dshift win condition has no counters.

Something simple like a ward unit with B&B shield would also put a fair break on dshift.

That exists (white tiger) but unfortunately it's smaller than magic owl

Mainyu+white tiger aggro kills D shift pretty dead though in my experience

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

That exists (white tiger) but unfortunately it's smaller than magic owl

Mainyu+white tiger aggro kills D shift pretty dead though in my experience

Yeah, neutral flavored and high cost (to be used after the Evo wars) should do it. The point is that it can be targeted in fair ways but they haven't done so for reasons.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, the new hotness is control blood, since everybody is expecting a shitload of aggro decks and no shift. Got four in a row.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 29, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

trucutru posted:

Yeah, neutral flavored and high cost (to be used after the Evo wars) should do it. The point is that it can be targeted in fair ways but they haven't done so for reasons.

It'd also have to survive being rammed by an evolved flame destroyer, which also makes it a hard-stop to aggro, I'd imagine, if you made it untargettable or resistant to damage/destroy effects and also gave it ward. I do like Naoise style effects, but the current cards they're on aren't exactly the best. Probably something that was resistant to damage/destroy effects and reduced damage dealt to 3 or less. Currently the card that fits that bill the best would be... Roland?? But if they made an effect like that, you can also see dshift teching in petrification to deal with it, like how they dealt with Beauty and the Beast with that when neutral forest was hot.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Naoise effect is fine, the issue is you have to guess when dshift is coming out to make it work. It works wonderfully against chimera, elephant, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A card with a one-turn Thalia effect (from magic) would be super cool and would both be generically good at delaying D shift by a turn and possibly delay it by two if you read them right and know the matchup well

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Nyx and Mist Shaman do exist, but it's sometimes hard to keep a threat for D shift on the board to let them buff. Plus, they're vulnerable themselves to removal.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

It'd also have to survive being rammed by an evolved flame destroyer, which also makes it a hard-stop to aggro, I'd imagine, if you made it untargettable or resistant to damage/destroy effects and also gave it ward. I do like Naoise style effects, but the current cards they're on aren't exactly the best. Probably something that was resistant to damage/destroy effects and reduced damage dealt to 3 or less. Currently the card that fits that bill the best would be... Roland?? But if they made an effect like that, you can also see dshift teching in petrification to deal with it, like how they dealt with Beauty and the Beast with that when neutral forest was hot.

If it takes a hit from an evolved destroyer and dies it has already served its mission.: It required an evo to clear which wasn't used on owls. So it must have delayed the shift by 2 turns or so. It doesn't have to have good stats, it just has to be like B&B and require minions to do damage to it, and more than 4 defense is required to prevent the owl from killing it. A 2/5 ward for 5pp would be enough (That wouldn't be a hard-stop to aggro in any way, shape or form). If your really want to deal with the destroyers make it a 1/3 ward with poison: guaranteed to kill big guys, weak against cheap crap so it could find a home against other decks too. There are a billion ways to make it work, like the one you suggested.

The point is not to eliminate d-shift from ever being played (since people like it) but to find fair counters to it, which isn't difficult (which is why I say that they consciously have avoided printing a counter). Mine is just a simple example of something that can be done. Them teching petrification and so on is good, since it also slows them down.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 29, 2017

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
New expansion trailer and first legendary reveal are out.

https://youtu.be/ExDM_5OOTnE

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BoldFace posted:

New expansion trailer and first legendary reveal are out.

https://youtu.be/ExDM_5OOTnE

Seems pretty good, you can avoid having to draw with your deck-manipulators so it should be fairly safe to play as a non-aggro deck too.

Been facing pockets of D-Shift on ladder, la resistance I guess. Deck is quite slower now and the "solution" to it (running greedier cards) makes it get completely obliterated by most decks. Feels good, gently caress those assholes.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
That deus ex would be far more interesting if it was 'start of turn' so people could gently caress you with the pro Sammy drop

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

That deus ex would be far more interesting if it was 'start of turn' so people could gently caress you with the pro Sammy drop

Meh, they'll all get destroyed by fairies.

(The amount of anti-aggro "control" decks that rage quit against this deck is hilarious, I got three today. Try to control my Liza you non-haven assholes)

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

What does your current faeries list look like?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

What does your current faeries list look like?

Just the typical aggro one, 3 of:

1pp: Gobbo, water fairy, May, circle, barrage
2pp: Whisperer, fairy dancer, roach, Liza, elf song, brambles

Plus 2 drivers, 2 DoD, 3 Iguanas.

Gameplan: Go face, it's a very complicated deck. (use brambles to control other aggro decks).

e: Been playing some Neph lately too. If you have a shitload of spells you can usually deal with both the aggro decks and the dragon decks that people are playing (just don't drop below 19 life, this game is so ridiculous).

e2: I also crafted some Carabosses to make aggro shadow but it's a pretty dumb deck, powerful but dumb.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 4, 2017

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
New blood card reveals from IGN.
http://ign.com/articles/2017/12/06/ign-reveals-3-new-shadowverse-chronogenesis-cards

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Psema is really cool. He has that Aether style thing going for him where you get to dump valuable cards for less than they should cost. He's also really flexible, which I like a lot. Can dump him down turn 9, laura him, and spend the other 3 on whatever you want for some nasty damage.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I'm sorta worried about, for the blood cards, is how the cards seem a little underwhelming if you don't have vengeance active. Also I'm glad that they went with "refunds PP" instead of "costs less".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah the turns where they'd have enough for revelation if you attack them but not if you don't are really weird and I'm glad the turn they wrath is now constant but if they're in vengeance they just get to play a second card

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah the turns where they'd have enough for revelation if you attack them but not if you don't are really weird and I'm glad the turn they wrath is now constant but if they're in vengeance they just get to play a second card

They get to play up to four extra cards (with the cards we have seen), since you can chain refunds. Demon dude -> archdemon AOE -> brand -> brand -> some cheap card at 10pp.

Seems like a pretty interesting mechanic to me. I bet some classes will have some insane refund tempo options.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 6, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess cascade from magic is a decent comparison but it doesn't actually draw you the card. I've found Shadowverse tends not to come down to card advantage wars though so it might end up being just as powerful.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess cascade from magic is a decent comparison but it doesn't actually draw you the card. I've found Shadowverse tends not to come down to card advantage wars though so it might end up being just as powerful.

It's not really cascade at all, since that bullshit was random and counted as additional spells. It's more like the cards that are more expensive but let you untap lands, like rewind.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This, this is what I like about aggro forest.

What other aggro deck can beat a burn rune that goes first and has drawn the perfect curve?

Next turn he dropped 2 dwarfs so 1,2,3,4. the only way to win is to pressure him as much as possible so on turn 4 I elf song, go face, and he clears almost all my stuff with a golem, A water fairy I didn't evolve precisely to increase her chances of surviving (always kill them all) stays on board but he drops a scrap golem to block her. So 1,2,3,4,5 with young Levi on hand, aren't we lucky? He didn't even need to use the dirts from the dwarfs. It's time to Liza

Ahahaha, gently caress your Levi! So of course he doesn't pull the trigger (big mistake, dropping him would win him the game anyways) and instead telegraphs even more the Levi by dropping 2 extra rites (Who needs the crappy rites from the dwarfs? Only high-quality rites here). 2 of my fairies survive but they are so weak that you cannot suicide an illusionist on them so this is checkmate:

He cannot heal or ward unless he plays an apprentice alchemist so of course Levi comes down and it's gg.

e BTW, Aggro forest is doing particularly well because it goes toe-to-toe against most other aggro decks and can deal with them even if you go second. And since you have 3 different ways to deal damage in the late game (Ipiria, Driver, Roaches), it is difficult for all the control decks that are preying on aggro and burn rune to guess what they need to deal with your bullshit, so the burden on not loving up falls on them, and you can take advantage of their mistakes. Roach forest is also doing well but it cannot deal with aggro that well, in exchange you completely obliterate all the popular control decks.

Burn rune is not that hot nowadays because there are way too many people targeting it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Couple fake reprints in the new set.

Dingdong2 is a 0/4 ward for 4 who draws 2 as last words
Jeanne2 is a 2/3 for 3 with enhance 7: deal 3 to all enemy followers and restore 3 to all allied followers
Aiela2 is a 2/2 with evolve: gain a pp orb.
Sammy2 is a 3/4 for 4 with both players draw as a fanfare, as well as the same ability as an evolve.

If that translation for aiela is good it means if you play her turn 3 and evolve her turn 4 you'd be able to play a 5 drop, which would be an actually interesting mechanic for the game to have.

• Locked thread