Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I've been kicking the idea of selling my collection to buy a convertible Corvette. I love the game, but I have tens of thousands in cardboard, and it's getting harder to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
And whenever I start to think "I should slim down my collection" I see dumbass decks like this and think to myself "hmmm I only need to pick up these playsets and then I can run this!"

Magic: the Gathering: It's dumb as hell (and I love it)

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

EvilBeard posted:

I've been kicking the idea of selling my collection to buy a convertible Corvette. I love the game, but I have tens of thousands in cardboard, and it's getting harder to justify it.

I sold out of standard and used that money as earnest money for a house. Best decision ever. I’m now thinking about selling most of my modern and legacy stuff. It isn’t corvette money but it is remodel a bathroom money.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

And whenever I start to think "I should slim down my collection" I see dumbass decks like this and think to myself "hmmm I only need to pick up these playsets and then I can run this!"

Magic: the Gathering: It's dumb as hell (and I love it)

I've played against Grixis Control alot. If you don't have the tar pits, don't bother. It really lives or dies on them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I've played against Grixis Control alot. If you don't have the tar pits, don't bother. It really lives or dies on them.

Got two Tar Pits already, I'm more concerned about the Cryptics and Tarns that I don't have :v:

Maybe I should sell off my Valakut deck, I can't remember the last time I went over .500 with it and I can get the Cryptics and Tarns I need to finally build that UR Breach deck I keep checking out.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Got two Tar Pits already, I'm more concerned about the Cryptics and Tarns that I don't have :v:

Maybe I should sell off my Valakut deck, I can't remember the last time I went over .500 with it and I can get the Cryptics and Tarns I need to finally build that UR Breach deck I keep checking out.

Do it. UR Breach is so much more fun than Modern Lands

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Do it. UR Breach is so much more fun than Modern Lands

Got a list you can use to convince me? I watched Frank Lepore stream the deck for a few matches and was thinking of starting off from his list.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 1, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Got a list you can use to convince me? I watched Frank Lepore stream the deck for a few matches and was thinking of starting off from his list.

His list is VERY close to mine.

I go down 2 Izzit Charm for 2 Supreme Will; and cut a Snapcaster for a Clique. I also run Opt instead of Spell Snare; but have considered going the other way there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

His list is VERY close to mine.

I go down 2 Izzit Charm for 2 Supreme Will; and cut a Snapcaster for a Clique. I also run Opt instead of Spell Snare; but have considered going the other way there.

Thanks. He laments the bad Tron matchup in his video, did you change the SB at all for that?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Thanks. He laments the bad Tron matchup in his video, did you change the SB at all for that?

I've had little in the way of issue with Tron except the BG Variant. Mainboard Blood Moons are really nice.

Post SB I'm running the Madcap Combo + Ceremonious Rejection; plus keeping in Blood Moons. Mono U is a crapshoot too; but I rarely run into it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How badly does Modern Elves lose to UR Storm on a scale of "try to be on the play" to "play another deck"?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

How badly does Modern Elves lose to UR Storm on a scale of "try to be on the play" to "play another deck"?

The former, especially if you have the devoted druid combo. Pack some sideboard hate (hatebears/rest in peace if you're in white, hand disruption if you're in black) and you'll be fine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uninverted posted:

The former, especially if you have the devoted druid combo. Pack some sideboard hate (hatebears/rest in peace if you're in white, hand disruption if you're in black) and you'll be fine.

I'm looking to take a GWB Elves deck to Modern tonight because I want to play with Shaman of the Pack.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

I'm looking to take a GWB Elves deck to Modern tonight because I want to play with Shaman of the Pack.

How many times do you expect to play storm? I think GW elves with no shaman is a much better deck, it also has good SB to fight storm.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TwistedNails posted:

How many times do you expect to play storm? I think GW elves with no shaman is a much better deck, it also has good SB to fight storm.

I dunno. Probably just once.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

I dunno. Probably just once.

Go for it, I wouldn't let a single matchup keep me from playing a deck. Like what was said earlier back some gy hate white hatebears or black discard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

I've had little in the way of issue with Tron except the BG Variant. Mainboard Blood Moons are really nice.

Post SB I'm running the Madcap Combo + Ceremonious Rejection; plus keeping in Blood Moons. Mono U is a crapshoot too; but I rarely run into it.

I was planning to stick to just Breach + Emrakul because I think all I want to do in Modern right now is cheat Emrakuls into play. I only have three and for a moment I was considering running a Combustible Gearhulk as Emrakul #4 on the off-chance I can pitch an Emrakul to it for 15 damage but I think something like Pull From Tomorrow to draw into Emrakul is better.

Thinking I might drop a Rejection in the board for a third Blood Moon, it just seems like it would be annoying as hell for a lot of decks and it's also good against the Tron decks that Rejection beats.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Seeing Cryptics around $17, what are the chances they go lower?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
My first modern deck was BG elves with four shaman of the pack and it treated me really well. SOTP lets you play like a red deck: you get in some damage with the initial swarm, then you zap the opponent in the face if they can stabilize. It's a different enough angle than attacking for 100 with Ezuri that opponents would often be prepared for one and lose to the other, although they're both countered by sweepers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm 0-2 so far against storm and Living End. Should of played RW Prison.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Casually 4-0’d modern fnm tonght with swans lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finished 1-2. My only win was against a goblin deck that seemed to only have Goblin Rabblemaster, Goblin Arsonist, Raging Goblin, Krenko's Command, Lightning Bolt, Magma Spray, and Goblin Grenade.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

3 people showed up for legacy and I went something like 8/0 against them in games with Death and Taxes then beat them in commander.

Funkatron5000
Apr 23, 2014
Ended up losing a match against workshops with inferno oath last night. They dropped a ballista with me at 4 life the turn after I used Dack's second ability on a tapped 5/5 flyer from hangarback walker that was supposed to win me the game. Lesson learned, next time take the untapped flyer to block :negative:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Well I got a playset of Cryptics at $17.10

I expect them to dip down a little more before they stabilize, but I’m gonna be busy with finals :shrug:

There are a ton more cards from Iconic I’d like to have playsets of, mad decent masters set!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm still bummed Tarns didn't really move down after MM17.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Soul Glo posted:

I'm still bummed Tarns didn't really move down after MM17.

They went down by almost half when MM3 released. I preordered a set from Channel Fireball for $45 each and the HAUMPH discount for 5% off cut them down to $42.75. It was just a matter of time before they went back up.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Casually 4-0’d modern fnm tonght with swans lol

What's your list?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Network42 posted:

What's your list?

Land (42)

7x Island
1x Izzet Guildgate
20x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
1x Steam Vents
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
4x Temple of Epiphany
1x Wandering Fumarole

Sorcery (8)

1x Day's Undoing
3x Serum Visions
4x Treasure Hunt

Enchantment (6)

2x Molten Vortex
4x Seismic Assault

Creature (4)

4x Swans of Bryn Argoll

Sideboard (15)

3x Anger of the Gods
1x Laboratory Maniac
1x Lightning Bolt
1x Molten Vortex
1x Glorious End
2x shattering spree
3x Spell Pierce
1x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Relic of Progenitus

R1 g/b infect lose the die roll
Win 2-1
G1 I combo out
G2 he combos out T3
G3 I get stuck on 3 land for a while as I kill every creature he plays and eventually I get that land 4 while he is zero creatures

R2: g/w value lose die roll
Win 2-0
G1: opponent does not gain infinite life so I kill them T4
G2: first seismic assault gets rec sage’d. I combo out with two paths on the stack (I had 4 land in hand)

R3 g/b rock lose the die roll
Win 2-0
G1 opponent thoughtseizes a seismic assault and leaves a swans, I serum visions a second assault so that I draw it the turn I have 3 mana, then combo out T4
G2 my opponent opens with thoughtseize, takes swans, and then surgical the swans on my draw step. Then plays a bob into tireless tracker. I get a seismic assault after triple treasure hunting and just throw lands for lethal

R4: naya burn lose die roll
Win 2-0
G1 opponent plays a T1 goblin guide which lets me cast a T3 seismic assault with 8 lands in hand.
G2 I combo out T6 after spell piercing 2 lightning bolts.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

3 people showed up for legacy and I went something like 8/0 against them in games with Death and Taxes then beat them in commander.

legacy is truly dead

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

legacy is truly dead

Turns out Reanimator is REALLY bad against Death and Taxes and Miracles is just bad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

Turns out Reanimator is REALLY bad against Death and Taxes and Miracles is just bad.

First round of Legacy at GP Atlanta my Reanimator opponent had what's usually a god hand: Chancellor reveal, Unmask exiling an Animate Dead to take my Swords to Plowshares, land, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume. At first I was like, "Yay, I got to play so much Magic, that was fun," but Karakas off the top? Same problem Lands has with their combo, we can deal with their big flashy poo poo without even spending a card.

She punted hard, though. Seeing my hand was all little white creatures, she Entombed Elesh Norn. No matter what she chose, I bounce with Karakas, but if she had gotten Griselbrand or Sire of Insanity, she could have gotten some kind of value.

She was pretty pissed at the time, but we bumped into each other the next day and did a pretty decent-sized trade.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

First round of Legacy at GP Atlanta my Reanimator opponent had what's usually a god hand: Chancellor reveal, Unmask exiling an Animate Dead to take my Swords to Plowshares, land, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume. At first I was like, "Yay, I got to play so much Magic, that was fun," but Karakas off the top? Same problem Lands has with their combo, we can deal with their big flashy poo poo without even spending a card.

Our first game was turn 1 Thoughtseize, turn 1 Vial, turn 2 Reanimate Elesh Norn, turn 2 "I guess I'll fetch a land and play another Vial" *draws card* *flips a Karakas into play instead* "Skill game." That kinda set the tone for the night.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah it's usually a pretty open and shut game on one side of the table or the other, and Karakas is just unbeatable if they don't have Wastelands to deal with it.

On the other hand, my round 3 mirror match was absolute insanity and really rewarded good play. Game 2 I was stuck on 2 land and he exiled my Vial, and he even had a Port so I was really out of it. It was actually a crazy back and forth that I was eventually able to pull out of at 3 life and win.

My opponent was super pissed but had made a few misplays I think, most notably naming Mother of Runes on a Council's Judgment when there was a Sword of War and Peace sitting on the battlefield. It took another 5 turns, but when I finally got to equip that on a Thalia it was just game over; he can chump block with a Revoker or find a Jitte or another Judgment, otherwise pro-white leaves him zero ways to interact so why waste the ONE way you had to remove the equipment?

I thought it was a really good game, though :shrug: (if a bit tedious, especially coming off playing against a Pox/Abyss deck....another surprisingly good set of games).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The first time I played the mirror, I won game 1 and we went to time shuffling for game 2. The mirror is so miserable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

She punted hard, though. Seeing my hand was all little white creatures, she Entombed Elesh Norn. No matter what she chose, I bounce with Karakas, but if she had gotten Griselbrand or Sire of Insanity, she could have gotten some kind of value.

She was pretty pissed at the time, but we bumped into each other the next day and did a pretty decent-sized trade.

Sire of Insanity can't get bounced

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah her getting sire of insanity is one thousand percent correct there because they get wrecked by the white source->STP series of draws no matter what, is immune to karakas, and there are no goyfs on your side to feed with the Sire's ability. in her defense, vial, mom, thalia, and port are all cards that should be banned

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

in her defense, vial, mom, thalia, and port are all cards that should be banned

Don't you get my homes up like this. I could finally sell out of this bad, dumb game and never play again! :swoon:

Also my games were against UB so Karakas is 10x better than Swords there.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

suicidesteve posted:

The first time I played the mirror, I won game 1 and we went to time shuffling for game 2. The mirror is so miserable.

The D&T mirror is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Aston posted:

The D&T mirror is great.

"Oh look I got the first Jitte hit, guess I can't ever lose.

That said I've only ever lost it once so I guess I'm ok with it. Turns out when your opponent draws 11 copies of Swords in a match and 7 copies of Flickerwisp in the 2 games he wins it doesn't matter how badly he plays (and it was really bad.)