Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yes, I was surprised the new calendar ui didn't make it a unusable garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
popular slack clone discord has blamed google for some of their recent instability https://status.discordapp.com/incidents/mpzkz7m4fzpt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who the hell would use goog's cloud?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anthonypants posted:

popular slack clone discord has blamed google for some of their recent instability https://status.discordapp.com/incidents/mpzkz7m4fzpt

lmao, "we built a distributed system that falls over at the first sign of packet loss"

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
the raw power of elixir on erlang/otp

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

who the hell would use goog's cloud?
gamers, apparently

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

anthonypants posted:

This is a pretty good postmortem. They're not just "blaming", they're identifying all the systems that broke and how to rearchitect. Notice that 5/6 of the action items are changes to their own systems that were way less reliable than they'd wanted, as revealed by the outage.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

gamers, apparently

and nazis

e: same thing i guess

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
why dont they say which http library caused them this much trouble

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Maximum Leader posted:

why dont they say which http library caused them this much trouble

BEAMland probably only has like one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is one (quite competent and fully-featured afaik) bundled with erlang itself, and of course yaws for the full http server

i suspect they'd have called it out if it was something as well-known as that though, rather they are now feeling a bit sheepish about cloning some random github project instead

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that timeline makes gcp support look loving abysmal tho, p1 issue doesn't get a "more information please" until 3 hours after it's escalated? holy moly i'll stick with aws thanks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jabor posted:

lmao, "we built a distributed system that falls over at the first sign of packet loss"

the "path of dominoes" programming pattern

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
coworker "bought" a pixel 2 xl on release, opting to use google store's financing but ran into two minor issues

google store opened line of credit for him, but charged the full price of the phone to his credit card, so now he has a line of credit with like 40% apr for any non pixel XL purchases
the phone may or may not be have been lost in shipping, fedex and google have no idea at this point. fedex had it reported as "in transit" then he called and they switched the status to "delivered"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

coworker "bought" a pixel 2 xl on release, opting to use google store's financing but ran into two minor issues

google store opened line of credit for him, but charged the full price of the phone to his credit card, so now he has a line of credit with like 40% apr for any non pixel XL purchases
the phone may or may not be have been lost in shipping, fedex and google have no idea at this point. fedex had it reported as "in transit" then he called and they switched the status to "delivered"

it's really remarkable how bad google is at selling anything that isn't ads

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Plank Walker posted:

coworker "bought" a pixel 2 xl on release, opting to use google store's financing

hmm

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plank Walker posted:

he should call googlecare, I’m sure they will fix it immediately

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

he should call googlecare, I’m sure they will fix it immediately

This exists but only for fi subscribers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cis autodrag posted:

fi subscribers.

now you have two problems

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Plank Walker posted:

Well since he used a card he can just call the bank, complaint he never got it and charge it back

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Celexi posted:

Well since he used a card he can just call the bank, complaint he never got it and charge it back

the fun thing about chargebacks is that even if the merchant wins the disputes, they still get dinged if the rate of transactions resulting in a chargeback attempt is too high for too long

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Celexi posted:

if you do a chargeback on google they will lock your google account. I hope you weren’t using that gmail account for anything important

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol if google knows your card number

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

now you have two problems

i just bought a moto x4 android one phone on project fi, will report my terrible experience

99% sure it'll end up being better than using my 4-year-old nexus 4 which had some amount of corrupted blocks in the flash so i would need to reflash the rom every couple of weeks when everything started crashing too much to use, and which didn't have any of the bands t-mobile needed for good coverage

i'm keeping my t-mobile account active for a month so i can see if i like Fi or not; i won't be able to get back onto the $30 unlimited data/100 minute plan if I let it lapse.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk whenever I’ve traveled someone with google fi it seemed to “just work” even as we hopped from country to country and I’d love to have something like that for iPhone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

one time i was in a forest and there wasnt wifi

idk wifi is everywhere though irl

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap posted:

idk whenever I’ve traveled someone with google fi it seemed to “just work” even as we hopped from country to country and I’d love to have something like that for iPhone

that thing for iphone is called "europe"

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

fedex is rly bad certainly the worst domestic shipper

that said i find it odd that google didnt just immediately send out another phone and fight fedex for the money i have to admit every time ive ever called up google for a hardware issue it was fixed a day later

ofc in dyp they try to game googles customer service constantly so it wouldnt surprise me if theyve gotten more strict

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

LastInLine posted:

fedex is rly bad certainly the worst domestic shipper

that said i find it odd that google didnt just immediately send out another phone and fight fedex for the money i have to admit every time ive ever called up google for a hardware issue it was fixed a day later

ofc in dyp they try to game googles customer service constantly so it wouldnt surprise me if theyve gotten more strict

fedex and ups both suck rear end here and it's insane whenever people repeat the gop talking point about how the usps is a waste

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hifi posted:

fedex and ups both suck rear end here and it's insane whenever people repeat the gop talking point about how the usps is a waste

yep. I just sold someone in oregon a watch and it went from ny to there in 2 days with no hiccups. free box to send and 7.95 plus tax. usps owns.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ups hosed up delivering my friend's apple watch so he called them and they gave him the usual runaround. i told him to call apple and they just had one set aside for him in a store, which he was even allowed to pick up before the watch was technically allowed to be sold to the public (day before launch day)

never appeal to the courier for help they are useless and you are not their customer

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

99% sure it'll end up being better than using my 4-year-old nexus 4 which had some amount of corrupted blocks in the flash so i would need to reflash the rom every couple of weeks when everything started crashing too much to use, and which didn't have any of the bands t-mobile needed for good coverage

android.txt

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/30/google-could-forced-pay-27-billion-compensation-iphone-users/ lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THC posted:

never appeal to the courier for help they are useless and you are not their customer

it’s the second part that matters, if you are their customer my experience hasn’t been too bad

but you need to remember they way it works - they promise to get the thing to the other person or cut you a check for it’s value if you insured it properly

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dude is hanging on to a phone from 2012 that didnt have support for bands in use at that time much less today in almost 2018

this is much more androidusers.docx than android.txt

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i took a trip to new york and it was shocking to me how much better apple maps supports the subway system out there than google maps. apple maps showed me the correct side of the street to enter the subway on and the map pointed out any intermediate spots and did a better job of communicating which train went which direction. thanks apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

i took a trip to new york and it was shocking to me how much better apple maps supports the subway system out there than google maps. apple maps showed me the correct side of the street to enter the subway on and the map pointed out any intermediate spots and did a better job of communicating which train went which direction. thanks apple

Apple maps is manually curated by a team of humans on the ground for transit stuff. It's probably the best feature imo.

• Locked thread