Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would have absolutely any faith in Titans whatsoever if they didn't cast a thirteen-year-old to play Raven amidst a bunch of 25+ year olds, and if Raven wasn't literally one of my favorite DC characters ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electromax posted:

From the deleted ending where the ghost of Iron Man helps Spidey shoot a Kamehameha at Vulture and disintegrate him.

Peter just snapped after seeing Happy Hogan’s robot head get crushed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I would have absolutely any faith in Titans whatsoever if they didn't cast a thirteen-year-old to play Raven amidst a bunch of 25+ year olds, and if Raven wasn't literally one of my favorite DC characters ever

are you asking them to go the Poison Ivy on Gotham route?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Slowly working my way through Punisher, and Jon Bernthal is SO GOOD as that character that if there's any Netflix character I'd want to see in the MCU, it would be him. Put him in the next Spider-Man movie or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hiddenriverninja posted:

are you asking them to go the Poison Ivy on Gotham route?

I'm saying they should've cast someone way older to play the character who's by far the most mature of the TT cast, never mind this being "Titans" and not "Teen Titans", so I'd assume they'd all be in their early 20s anyways.

It's just such a fundamentally rotten idea to have this pipsqueak Raven around a bunch of actors who are literally twice her age, so they're either gonna write her as the "kid" of the group (which completely destroys what Raven specifically brings to the table and infantilizes her) or they're gonna pretend she's actually the same age as everyone else, which won't work because she looks so much younger. It's just such a bad idea that does not understand who or what Raven is and why she's appealing as a character

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's going to be like JLU's Kid Stuff but one season long

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Raven is the worst, so bring it on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

Raven is the worst, so bring it on.

This take is the worst.

Edit - I was thinking they were going to have Dick and Starfire as young, college age kids, while Raven and Beast Boy were high school age, but then they cast Ryan Potter for Beast Boy. So, I really have no idea what was up with the casting with regards to Raven.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 2, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

It's just such a fundamentally rotten idea to have this pipsqueak Raven around a bunch of actors who are literally twice her age, so they're either gonna write her as the "kid" of the group (which completely destroys what Raven specifically brings to the table and infantilizes her) or they're gonna pretend she's actually the same age as everyone else, which won't work because she looks so much younger. It's just such a bad idea that does not understand who or what Raven is and why she's appealing as a character

Or she’s an ageless eldrich demon spawn in an ostensibly youthful body? Having her physically younger while acting much older is a really good source of dramatic tension, and could really help sell her otherworldly creepiness?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phylodox posted:

Or she’s an ageless eldrich demon spawn in an ostensibly youthful body?
That NEVER works out well, on multiple levels.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ADTRW is that way

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Phylodox posted:

Or she’s an ageless eldrich demon spawn in an ostensibly youthful body? Having her physically younger while acting much older is a really good source of dramatic tension, and could really help sell her otherworldly creepiness?

Oh she looks 13 but she's actually two thousand years old. Cool. Sick

Also the point of Raven is that she's NOT a demon, she's just the daughter of one. That's, like, her whole thing: she's more or less a human who rejects her father's bloodline to forge her own path. Making her a demon anyways is like making Nightcrawler the literal son of Satan, it completely misses the point and fundamental conflict of her character

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 2, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad Toxx is the one other massive Raven fan here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Iron Man dies but lives on as Peter’s Stand?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Phylodox posted:

What are you, a TVIV mod?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

I'm voting down the pedophilia idea here just no

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn't aware there were such things as Raven fans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

She's pretty easily the most popular of the Teen Titans that's not a sidekick.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Slowly working my way through Punisher, and Jon Bernthal is SO GOOD as that character that if there's any Netflix character I'd want to see in the MCU, it would be him. Put him in the next Spider-Man movie or something.

For some reason this show is under-rated. I would rank it better than DD S1 and at least on a par with JJ (which to me was mainly held up by David Tenant). I didn't watch Luke Cage or Iron Fist, but enjoyed Defenders as well. To me Punisher S1 is probably the best of the Netflix Marvel TV shows. Most of the cast are great, I even like the principal female agent who I know others have problems with.

If I had one complaint, its that in many ways its doing another (but not the same) origin story.

Note: I am currently watching Walking Dead as well so my opinion may be skewed by how loving awful that show has become.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

X-O posted:

Cartoon Raven is soooooooper-popular. Comic book raven less so.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If we only got one shot at the MCU and Netflix doing one trade a piece, I want Cap in Daredevil S3 and I want Luke Cage to meet Black Panther. And also Valkyrie is there. And Falcon and War Machine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Never been to Baltimore huh?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This reminds me of something goofy, I was watching Syfy the other day and they had a news blurb about the trailer and they called him "Bucky with the good hair."

KaosMachina posted:

Superman: American Alien is a great comic book.

There was also the scene in All Star Superman where Lex just assumes Clark is copying Superman when he talks about how many men are styling their eyebrows to be similar.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

muscles like this! posted:

This reminds me of something goofy, I was watching Syfy the other day and they had a news blurb about the trailer and they called him "Bucky with the good hair."

I'm glad they finally let my boy Bucky use shampoo and conditioner.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wakanda has the most advanced hair care technology

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In case y'all are still wondering, JL's third Friday shook out to be 4.5 million leading into a forecasted 17 million third weekend, although I think that's real high, with a Friday that low. I'm figuring about 12 to at most 15 million third weekend. In any case, it'll be just shy of breaking 200 million (either 192 million on the low end or 197 on the high end), which it'll hit by at longest next Sunday, depending on how little it makes this weekend.

This weekend is probably the single most important of JL's box office run because it's the last week that it doesn't face real competition. Coco is a competitor but is, admittedly, attempting to appeal to a slightly different, younger and more family-oriented demographic, but next week is Jumanji and the week after is TLJ, which will almost completely eliminate any further BO JL's likely to get. Never mind that Ragnarok is still going strong.

Basically, this weekend we see what if any legs JL has. It's a weekend with no real premieres that are eating into its total BO, so we'll see if JL has any staying power whatsoever in receipts. Considering how little fanfare and buzz JL passed with, I'm gonna guess there's none.

Depending on how well or how badly JL does in its third weekend frame is gonna sort out where JL's total domestic cume lands. If it does 17 million or even something crazy like 20 million-plus, it could shake out for a very bad but still sort of, kind of defensible like 230 million-ish total domestic BO. If it's looking the way it's looking the movie is gonna struggle to like 210 million at most and be a gigantic flop.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow I didn't even realize Jumanji was out so soon. I've seen no promotion for it outside of the one trailer which was pretty bad

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I didn’t think Jumanji was opening wide until the 20th? In North America, at least — I don’t know about anywhere else.

I for one was certain that Justice League was going to have better legs than this. I can’t get over how badly it’s doing, and I don’t even particularly like the DCEU.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, yeah, it is, but apparently if you have Amazon (god I hope the cross-promotional branding of this didn't happen because their company's name is loving Amazon, ugh) Prime you can buy tickets early, which is why I was getting Dec 8 show dates.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Samuringa posted:

Wakanda has the most advanced hair care technology

I was hoping he would end up with some African braiding.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There is no way giving Bucky Barnes an African hairstyle wouldn't blow up into a gigantic shitstorm the likes of which BSS has never seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, yeah, it is, but apparently if you have Amazon (god I hope the cross-promotional branding of this didn't happen because their company's name is loving Amazon, ugh) Prime you can buy tickets early, which is why I was getting Dec 8 show dates.

Yeah it’s some early screening Prime members can buy into.

The early impressions for Jumanji have actually been very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jumanji is getting sneak previews in 1,000 selected theatres. It's not something that's done much nowadays but I understand that Sony are reasonably confident about its chances.

The guy who does all the box office reports on Forbes had an article I actually read earlier today about how Jumanji could be the formula Sony needs to define itself since its attempts at replicating Disney/Warner Bros. style $100 million action tentpole features hasn't been as successful as they might have liked the past few years.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jumanji is getting sneak previews in 1,000 selected theatres. It's not something that's done much nowadays but I understand that Sony are reasonably confident about its chances.

Also, they need to get some positive buzz building before Last Jedi drops.

I can almost see the ad campaign now: “is the movie you wanted to see sold out in all four theatres? Why not check out Jumanji instead?”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yakmouth posted:

I can almost see the ad campaign now: “is the movie you wanted to see sold out in all four theatres? Why not check out Jumanji instead?”

Yeah, that makes sense.

They need to have word of mouth going because nobody will care about anything that comes out into January.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have no idea why any non-indie movie, much less a competing PG-13 rated action adventure, would ever have a release date between Dec 15 2017 - let's say mid-January 2018. It makes no sense to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's where you dump bad movies and Oscar grabs

...and the one Christmas blockbuster

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ya know, I may not have liked Garfield as Spider-Man very much, but I like a lot of the stuff from the second movie when Electro was in Times Square. When I look back at stuff like Steel, it makes me have an appreciation for modern cape comic movies. Even the ones I don't like generally have at least 1 scene that I can ejoy. Suicide Squad, Iron Man 2, the whole lot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yakmouth posted:

Just remake this but with The Rock

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WECV6sjrd5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

That link better be The Rock with Nic Cage

• Locked thread