Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MisterBibs posted:

Well, yeah, that too. Or the "I need to put my thumb up your butt to adjust something" stuff.

I think a crime was committed upon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I think a crime was committed upon you.

Not sure if I'm in :thejoke: territory, but there was a chiropractor who claimed that part of his "adjustment" series was a "internal coccyx adjustment", which was basically him putting his finger in the patient's butt. Someone sued over it.

Can't find the case, just a bunch of results from chiropractors saying it's a Totally Real Thing You Guys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doctors put fingers in butts all the time. There's doctors that do nothing but butt stuff. And yet simply because a chiropractor does a totally 100% real and necessary butthole adjustment, they get jumped on because they actually help and cure people instead of just feeding Big Pharma companies that make money by keeping you sick.

Wake up idiots. Your butts need the healing touch of a trained professional. Get your poo poo inline.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my poo poo is fine right where it is

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think this is one of the best active threads on the forums.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Elissimpark posted:

Such a Tiggum opinion.
I don't know what that means. :shrug:

Quaintly contrarian, maybe?

For example:

Tiggum posted:

Predator 2 was better than Predator.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Tiggum opinions aren't something I could explain in words, but I know them when I see them. Several times I scroll to a post and read it without looking at the username and think "this is definitely Tiggum posting". My posts are bad too so I'm not judging, just pointing out that I also find tiggumpinions distinctive.

Anyway I don't really understand why people find bone cracking/popping pleasant. I had a friend who would make people walk on his back to make it pop and the whole time I was thinking he was nuts. Even if the chance of paralysis is very low, the fact that there is one at all would make me avoid it even if it does feel good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aladdin is hosed up now. Literally the only good chocolate in it now is the pärlnougat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Doctors put fingers in butts all the time. There's doctors that do nothing but butt stuff. And yet simply because a chiropractor does a totally 100% real and necessary butthole adjustment, they get jumped on because they actually help and cure people instead of just feeding Big Pharma companies that make money by keeping you sick.

Wake up idiots. Your butts need the healing touch of a trained professional. Get your poo poo inline.

The average GP administers one pro rectal exam a day, and I take great joy in reminding med students of this.

(The other exams are strictly amateur)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: I think I completely hosed up a joke that was bad to begin with.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who dismiss conspiracy theories because "it's impossible to keep something that big a secret" are as delusional as the people who think fluoride is a mind control chemical.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

People who dismiss conspiracy theories because "it's impossible to keep something that big a secret" are as delusional as the people who think fluoride is a mind control chemical.

It depends on the conspiracy theory but I'd agree with this. It's one of the weakest arguments against why a conspiracy theory is false - there are usually plenty of other things pointing toward it being bullshit (example: flat earth theory). People will definitely keep secrets if there is incentive to do so. Like if I were working on aliens or something I wouldn't race to the press or wikileaks, I'd just keep my mouth shut and keep my awesome job. Even if I lost it there would probably be enough legal consequences to make me keep quiet too, plus it's not like anyone will believe me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell, if it's important and secretive enough, there might be physical consequences.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even massive conspiracies (as far as we know) are never as massive as the ones propounded by conspiracy theorists. I mean CIA killed JFK? Completely plausible and a pretty massive cover-up if true. CIA killed JFK and also CIA is a front for Zionist reptilians who built the pyramids? Too massive for me *eats soy, drinks pure fluoride*

e: I didn't mean to sound like we know there was a CIA conspiracy to off JFK. But there have been some pretty big ones.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
No conspiracy is so massive it couldn't be hidden. If for instance we are all a dream Azathoth dreamt, there is no way to prove it. No politician is too vile if he is an avatar of the lizard god controlling all our minds with his evil claw, because the claw would prevent a significant mass of doubt from forming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even massive conspiracies (as far as we know) are never as massive as the ones propounded by conspiracy theorists. I mean CIA killed JFK? Completely plausible and a pretty massive cover-up if true. CIA killed JFK and also CIA is a front for Zionist reptilians who built the pyramids? Too massive for me *eats soy, drinks pure fluoride*

e: I didn't mean to sound like we know there was a CIA conspiracy to off JFK. But there have been some pretty big ones.

They can never stop when it's remotely plausible, they went straight from "hillary had some guy killed" to "hillary runs a child sex slavery ring in the secret basement of a Pizza shop" in a single breath.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

veni veni veni posted:

They can never stop when it's remotely plausible, they went straight from "hillary had some guy killed" to "hillary runs a child sex slavery ring in the secret basement of a Pizza shop" in a single breath.

This is how I see fandoms, and why I sometimes consider them toxic enough to shun their source. Even if it has merit, I don't want to be considered one of those people.
And before I get barked at for caring what people think, A) Note my use of the qualifier "sometimes" and B) If you are a member of society, it totally matters what people think.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Das Boo posted:

and B) If you are a member of society, it totally matters what people think.

This is true. It's the foundation of society. A mutual agreement to suppress our real desires and act in accordance to what the communality desires of us. Whether your are showing up for work on time even tho you wanna sleep, or smiling at a cashier when you don't really wanna, or refraining from tattooing a pentagram on your face, you are holding up human society as we know it with each denied harmful urge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It's a shame, really, because there are dozens of conspiracies to expose and all the conspiracy-exposy-guys are literally insane :(

Das Boo posted:

This is how I see fandoms, and why I sometimes consider them toxic enough to shun their source. Even if it has merit, I don't want to be considered one of those people.
And before I get barked at for caring what people think, A) Note my use of the qualifier "sometimes" and B) If you are a member of society, it totally matters what people think.

Fan = fanatic. That's all there is to consider.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MizPiz posted:

what ones do you bleive in OP?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Randaconda posted:

The Wayne's World movies have aged better than the Austin Powers movies. (and the second WW is better than the first)

I watched them recently, and they're still pretty good.

The first Austin Powers movie is really funny and hasn't aged at all. The sequels are bad and don't hold up well.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

what ones do you bleive in OP?

Most of the elite in Western society are members of a massive network of pedophile rings that use things like Pizzagate and the Santanic Panic to make it easier to discredit any accusations of such networks existing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t know if there are that many pedophile rings, but there sure are a lot of pedophiles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is a really good game. Human Revolution is better in most ways, but that's to be expected given the eight years between them - and unlike a lot of older games Invisible War is still really fun to play. It's definitely got some problems, but they really don't have that much impact. It even has some advantages over Human Revolution:
  • Grenades are useful and fun and you don't get so few of them that you've got to hoard them like a precious resource.
  • No XP. Upgrading your augs is just based on finding or being given upgrades.
  • Universal ammo means you never have a gun you just can't find ammo for.
  • Ammo doesn't take up inventory space.
  • You can jump super high and climb over practically any obstacles.
  • The cool, fun guns are handed out near the start, rather than right at the end when you no longer have any use for them.
  • NG Resonance.
  • Probably other things I'm not thinking of right now.
Play Invisible War. It's great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always felt that Invisible War came out a little too early. A year or so later, a little bit more mainstreaming of gaming as a whole, and maybe a bunch of folks kvetching about a more accessible Deus Ex get mocked instead of respected.

I think we were talking about this in the Dragging Down thread; there's parts of the original Deus Ex that did not age very well (JC Denton, police officer, has the shakes holding a pistol unless you beelined to it), and half the rough edges are things the sequel fixed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Another year might have let them finish duct-taping the engine together too.

It'd have also been in direct competition with Half-Life 2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's so inaccessible about the first Deus Ex, it's a game where you walk around corridors shooting at people. All the RPG elements are pretty tame. From what I remember, Invisible War was more opaque because it dumped you into a hub with little notion of what to do.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Tiggum posted:

Deus Ex: Invisible War is a really good game. Human Revolution is better in most ways, but that's to be expected given the eight years between them - and unlike a lot of older games Invisible War is still really fun to play. It's definitely got some problems, but they really don't have that much impact. It even has some advantages over Human Revolution:
  • Grenades are useful and fun and you don't get so few of them that you've got to hoard them like a precious resource.
  • No XP. Upgrading your augs is just based on finding or being given upgrades.
  • Universal ammo means you never have a gun you just can't find ammo for.
  • Ammo doesn't take up inventory space.
  • You can jump super high and climb over practically any obstacles.
  • The cool, fun guns are handed out near the start, rather than right at the end when you no longer have any use for them.
  • NG Resonance.
  • Probably other things I'm not thinking of right now.
Play Invisible War. It's great.

play Deus Ex, it blows the rest out of the water

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trump was wrong to withdraw America from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

steinrokkan posted:

From what I remember, Invisible War was more opaque because it dumped you into a hub with little notion of what to do.
There's a very clear tutorial section before the first hub and you're a couple of objectives right away (go check in with the cops and go visit the order church).

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

play Deus Ex, it blows the rest out of the water
I tried playing it when it was fairly new, I tried playing it again after Invisible War. It's a poo poo game.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Autotuned music is undeniable proof that the "artist" is a talentless hack and its use should be outlawed under consumer protection laws since it's essentially defrauding the listener.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't listen to that kind of music, but it's sort of like saying music made with a computer instead of real instruments is not real music, etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Autotuned music is undeniable proof that the "artist" is a talentless hack and its use should be outlawed under consumer protection laws since it's essentially defrauding the listener.

It's not like it's easily hidden unless done in extremely small doses where it doesn't actually matter. Like if you go to a t-pain concert, I'm pretty sure you know you are going to hear a shitload of autotune. It would only be defrauding the customer if it weren't obvious when it's being done in excess.

Anyway whether someone has "true" talent or not isn't very relevant. The people who over-use autotune might not be good technical musicians, but they (and/or their managers) are clearly good business people and know what people will buy. In a perfect world only the best technical musicians would be successful, but it turns out that's not what most people want to hear (or they just don't care).

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Believe it or not, internet forums user, not everyone who likes popular mainstream music is an idiot. "The sheeple" know what autotune is, what it does, what its benefits are, how it enhances the performance of the artists they like, and what it sounds like. These same people, in great numbers, are still able to enjoy music that uses autotune and support the artists that use it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

I don't listen to that kind of music, but it's sort of like saying music made with a computer instead of real instruments is not real music, etc.

You don't listen to any music?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doverhog posted:

computer instead of real instruments is not real music, etc.

same, but unironically

doverhog
May 31, 2013

sassassin posted:

Does this have autotune? Maybe I dunno, and don't really care either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gk6bAz4au4

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sassassin posted:

Of course I do

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All music is autotuned. T-Pain style is just with a setting cranked up.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tiggum opinions aren't something I could explain in words, but I know them when I see them. Several times I scroll to a post and read it without looking at the username and think "this is definitely Tiggum posting". My posts are bad too so I'm not judging, just pointing out that I also find tiggumpinions distinctive.

Anyway I don't really understand why people find bone cracking/popping pleasant. I had a friend who would make people walk on his back to make it pop and the whole time I was thinking he was nuts. Even if the chance of paralysis is very low, the fact that there is one at all would make me avoid it even if it does feel good.

Because it feels like pressure being relieved. Does it not for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Because it feels like pressure being relieved. Does it not for you?

I never let anyone do it to me (the back walking thing). I mean, I crack my knuckles and that feels OK, but when it comes to my back or neck I'll take a pass.