Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. One whose name I can’t recall was rather uniquely placed to have minimal competition and an awesome mix of climate, isolation, and food. Pretty easy to get along in such a location.

Until you've hosed your paradise into a Malthusian hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

aphid_licker posted:

Until you've hosed your paradise into a Malthusian hell

They got colonized and now only a couple families remain out in the bush facing food shortages. It was an interesting but depressing read.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

It’s like one of those little birds that takes a dust bath to get the parasites off!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

They got colonized and now only a couple families remain out in the bush facing food shortages. It was an interesting but depressing read.

Ok yeah, or someone else barges in and ruins it, that'll do it too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So far three nations have made a bid for the design for Canada's surface combatant project. They are:

A Dutch design being backed by Alion (a defense multinational that was the primary designer of the Arleigh Burke class destroyers, among other things);

A block of French and Italian firms backing the FREMM frigate;

and another block lead by Lockmart fronting BAE's Type 26 frigate.

also Irving wants to sell Arctic patrol ships abroad but the fact that they are so expensive raises doubts about this.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
James C. Scott just published a book — Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States — arguing against the valorisation of city-states and early instances of civilisation. There's a nice review in the latest LRB available for free here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

All good choices for the surface combatant imo, although I was hoping for the Burke III/Sejong but those are too large and heavily armed.

Also lol at Irving thinking they could be globally competitive at anything. Frigging Poland is more of a shipbuilding power than we are.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Random airpower picture

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

orange juche posted:

I mean there is going to be some sand ingestion into the engines with that cloud, not enough to stop the flight, but I still wouldn't want to have to post flight that aircraft.

Ingesting small amounts of sand helps it built up an immunity to larger amounts of sand.

:science:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Warlord ism on the margin of empire is an extremely old problem my dudes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
A CalFire contractor is flying a red, white, and blue CH-47 around McClellan today. I heard it before I saw it, and my immediate thought was that the noise couldn't possibly be from a police chopper, air ambulance, or even a Huey.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Cat Mattress posted:

Random airpower picture

I don't see anything, what is it?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

“Our team is really excited to get on with the next phase of this acquisition,” Rosemary Chapdelaine, vice president and general manager of Lockheed Martin Canada RMS (Rotary and Mission Systems), said in an interview with Defence Watch.

She said there will be a maximum focus on getting Canadian content on to the warships being offered by the team. “We’re Canadianizing the Type 26,” she added.

RIP Type 26

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

*adds a zero to every price*

Whew Canadianization took a while!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 1, 2017

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Cat Mattress posted:

Random airpower picture

Is there a panel missing here, or is it just stuck in invisible mode?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Also lol at Irving thinking they could be globally competitive at anything. Frigging Poland is more of a shipbuilding power than we are.

I mean yes it's kind of their thing? Check out where Solidarnosc came from.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

A CalFire contractor is flying a red, white, and blue CH-47 around McClellan today. I heard it before I saw it, and my immediate thought was that the noise couldn't possibly be from a police chopper, air ambulance, or even a Huey.

There's an outfit called Columbia Helicopters that sort of made the Boeing tandem-rotors their thing. Ended up buying the type certificates for a couple of them. Not sure how many other civilian operators there are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

feedmegin posted:

They’re pretty minor too compared to China and SK and Japan, was my gist. All of europe produces a tiny sliver of tonnage that any one of those countries do.

Irving would not even exist if it wasn’t for life support from the government.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

feedmegin posted:

That stuff is gone afaik. That 1990s deindustrialization was a bitch and a half.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

*adds a zero to every price*

Whew Canadianization took a while!

You forgot to multiply the development time by 3.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hermsgervørden posted:

Is there a panel missing here, or is it just stuck in invisible mode?

That's a legacy capability held over from the F-15:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Random airpower picture

I’m guessing SSgt Lacroix didn’t have a good day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Canadianizing: make all the signs bilingual and install taps of molson canadian and labatt blue in the officer’s mess.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing SSgt Lacroix didn’t have a good day.

I wonder how much a replacement panel costs with the fancy composites and stealthy RAM coatings.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

priznat posted:

Canadianizing: make all the signs bilingual and install taps of molson canadian and labatt blue in the officer’s mess.

Don't forget to write all manuals in French, translate to English and then back to French again for funsies.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
What's the little key or whatever sticking out on the top, left edge of the missing panel?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fearless posted:

Don't forget to write all manuals in French, translate to English and then back to French again for funsies.

Also exactly half of the units used in construction and fitments will be in metric and half in imperial.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well good news for military funding looks like $1.5T just got pulled from the next ten years' budgets.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

What's the little key or whatever sticking out on the top, left edge of the missing panel?

Yep, it looks like there's something installed along the edge of the panel. I'm betting this was a test of something and not a panel that departed in flight.

On second thought, this seems to be the single point refueling panel, which means it gets opened and closed a lot. It appears to be hinged on the top, so I bet we're seeing the hinge mechanism.

edit:Some googling indicates it was a Kadena bird that lost the panel in flight. http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/2017/12/01/kadena-f-35a-loses-panel-in-flight/

wkarma fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 2, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So a Type 26 that'll end up costing more, and with more capabilities stripped for being to expensive than even the British version will end at. :psyduck:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not exactly cold war but the script on this is too stereotypical '40s not to share:
https://youtu.be/3PL2HFLRMI0

quote:

Those tanks look kinda tough, don't they? I guess you think you wouldn't have much of a chance up against those babies.

Well you're wrong, see? Now get me straight, I'm a tanker myself and I oughta know!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

simplefish posted:

Not exactly cold war but the script on this is too stereotypical '40s not to share:
https://youtu.be/3PL2HFLRMI0

Anyone else got Devo playing in their head now?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Greetings friends!

Please allow me to barge into your thread and ask a dumb question, I posted it else ware and was told you folks would be in a much better position to answer:

How quickly could the US air force bomb something to pieces if it needed too?

Lets say some potentially apocalyptic event happened in a major city, say LA, and the only way to save the country was to utterly devastate a good sized area immediately.

The "rules"

It has to be N O W!!
Non nuclear
Chemical weapons are ok if its quicker
COMPLETE removal of life is required, no consideration for civilians caught in the area, the size of a few city blocks but rapidly expanding.

Appreciate muchly the help!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can’t do “nothing lives” bombing at the city level with conventional weapons.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Indulge me, lets say they wanted to "give it a go"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

504 posted:

Greetings friends!

Please allow me to barge into your thread and ask a dumb question, I posted it else ware and was told you folks would be in a much better position to answer:

Lets say some potentially apocalyptic event happened in a major city, say LA, and the only way to save the country was to utterly devastate a good sized area immediately.

The "rules"

It has to be N O W!!
Non nuclear
COMPLETE removal of life is required, no consideration for civilians caught in the area, the size of a few city blocks but rapidly expanding.

I know you said non nuclear but whatever

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

504 posted:

Greetings friends!

The "rules"

It has to be N O W!!
Non nuclear

Immediate and multiple overlapping nuclear strikes is the only way to approach 100% kills over a given area if time is a critical factor. Conventional bombing just isn't powerful enough, and chemical weapons are too haphazard.

The surest way is to quarantine the area and turn many thousands of your soldiers into war criminals, but if it absolutely has to be right loving now, and the consequences of not going nuclear are worse than the consequences of freaking out the other nuclear powers and irradiating your own countryside, then it's time to start dropping The Bomb.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A.o.D. posted:

if it absolutely has to be right loving now, and the consequences of not going nuclear are worse than the consequences of freaking out the other nuclear powers and irradiating your own countryside, then it's time to start dropping The Bomb.

That's a good point, thanks for bringing that up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The biggest non-nuclear murder weapons are thermobaric stuff. You'd need a lot of them to sterilize a city, and you might need to start with more conventional bombs to destroy structures that could shelter people from the pressure waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

504 posted:

That's a good point, thanks for bringing that up.

History seems to be full of examples of cities and forested areas getting massive bombardments of HE and incendiary weapons for days/weeks at a time using artillery and aircraft of every kind to remove some defending force. It always seems to turn out with a significant portion of the defenders still dug into the rubble waiting.