Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

XkyRauh posted:

Isaac is gonna get Decrypted...

This also kinda spelled it out. If Wanda dies all decrypted will turn into regular Uncroaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nimby posted:

This also kinda spelled it out. If Wanda dies all decrypted will turn into regular Uncroaked.

So.. Isaac is about to end his run, then start a new one as XXX, and finish up as The Lost?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They're just gonna put towerheads everywhere, aren't they?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait, who cast the spell to make that one? Now I'm confused.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Big Think

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

The new thing is that now they seem to be able to do it without a dollamancer and a dirtmancer. This implies n ability to retain the skills they're linked to even after the link is broken which would make them obscenely powerful if they weren't on borrowed time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I can understand why you would do this sort of thing to Charlie, because his city is the most critical element of his side other then the dish. This doesn't seem like it would accomplish more then pissing Jillian off and she doesn't need any help with that these days. Maybe it'll be a moderating influence.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I got the sense that maybe every capital is gonna have one now. You know, to make them behave.

Guess we'll see if one pops up in Transylvito.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Can't wait to find out what punny name this one's got. :)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean I think people are looking at it too abstract. The Big Thinks main problem is that people cheat and gain unfair advantages. So give everyone the same advantage, add watchmen to Erfworld to enforce the rules, to stop their sides from cheating.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, do the towers actually feel that way? Jed seemed annoyed that the portals had been kipi'd, but he doesn't seem to object to giving back as good as he was got. Shirley doesn't seem to object to the Shock'd Arkendish as much as she objects to doing drugs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Onmi posted:

I mean I think people are looking at it too abstract. The Big Thinks main problem is that people cheat and gain unfair advantages. So give everyone the same advantage, add watchmen to Erfworld to enforce the rules, to stop their sides from cheating.

If this were the case, it would be a neat in-universe reflection of what many readers were starting to think.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's mutually assured construction.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
At this point I think I'm going to treat this strip like goblins, deliberately forget about it and just look in on it every 3 months or so, hoping for some progress.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I feel like he could've saved a lot of time with a few words on a twitter account with each skip.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Charlie being hosed with is never not funny

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

Charlie being hosed with is never not funny

And he has no idea how actual politeness works, as opposed to unctuous manipulative flattery.

(I think my favorite part is Jojo implying that Carnymancers love unctuous, overtly meaningless flattery, because they have so little confidence in other people's good intentions that the only thing that impresses them is a very accurate read on what kind of puffery they secretly desire.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I said it in the OotS thread because I forgot we have one for Erf but oh my God, I love Shirley so much. :allears:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This just in, Shirley watches too much TV.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

oh my God, I love Shirley so much. :allears:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
In my head, I can only hear Shirley's voice as Duane's mom on the phone from various "A Prairie Home Companion" skits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Has the thread title ever been "Welcome to Erf!"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Has the thread title ever been "Welcome to Erf!"?

There has literally never been a worse time for that to be the title than precisely now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'll be honest the entire set of characters I can still bring myself to care about in this comic is small, and now this room is missing the central member of that cast.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 30, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Obviously what we need now is the introduction of Erf Modern(TM), with bizarro Ohio cast in hexes and Parson having to somehow decipher unwritten travel rules to get home. Possibly with some dystopian future themes, like all the corporations are owned by dragons.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The story is already so convoluted and going nowhere fast, so of course it is a great time to banish the Gotti.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I guarantee you we’re gonna get at least one trippy “philosophical” page from parson’s perspective and then one of two things is gonna happen: either the spell sent him somewhere other than Ohio, or there’s gonna be a new Summon Perfect Warlord cast

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It seems more likely that he'll hunt down Judy Gale and her Arkenshoes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Which, frankly, is something people have been speculating since the GTFO scroll was introduced and "One of the Arkentools is in the real world" was brought up.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rand Brittain posted:

This seems a fine time for the plot to go off on such a tangent with no pacing issues at all!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Zoe posted:

This seems a fine time for the plot to go off on such a tangent with no pacing issues at all!

Seriously. Holy poo poo do I feel like they need a better outline for the plot. If Parson really is off to the real world to hunt down the Arkenshoes this should have been the kickoff point for the next chapter and not in the middle of 2-3 still ongoing subplots.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The author has spent so much time juggling too many plot-balls in a "holy poo poo everything is happening at once!" climax that he's started to think that's just how stories should work in general.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't want to criticize the pacing too much because we're still in the middle of it and honestly don't know how things are going to unfold (maybe the next update is going to be a logical break point, who knows). I do agree that there's some suffering as a result of too many points of view, which seems to be endemic with a lot of authors in general for some reason - easier to bypass writer's block by jumping to a different character, I guess?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I could see Parson getting yanked away by a PLOT! twist with so many balls in the air. Honestly, that's the cleanest way I can even see to resolve this tangled mess. Parson just isn't there for a huge turning point moment in Erfworld and he has no idea what to prepare for when he gets back. Resolve all those events off-screen. A messy but effective way to cut off all the dangling threads and twist them back into one line.

Except I am not even remotely looking forward to months or years of Parson loving about in Idaho looking for a pair of Judy Garland's magical shoes.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Except I am not even remotely looking forward to months or years of Parson loving about in Idaho looking for a pair of Judy Garland's magical shoes.

Then when he gets back, 50 years have passed in Erfworld, the City Towers and Charlie have completely and he'll be a newbie all over again with a different support cast.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I guarantee you that if parson is on earth again and there’s a whole plot arc about him getting back it’ll take at least a year of real time to resolve

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I guarantee you that if parson is on earth again and there’s a whole plot arc about him getting back it’ll take at least a year of real time to resolve

Now that I think about it I'd find it pretty funny if the next comic is just him poofing back in with the shoes and the entire earth plot is resolved entirely out of comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

His first quest will be to recover his dice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Some have theorized that he's not actually gone, since you can still see him in the link when Roger is getting shredded, and the person confirming him vanishing is Jack, the Foolamancer... but if he's NOT gone then the whole loving thing was much ado about nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
My guess is we're going to get a Thomas Covenant situation where Parson wakes up in a hospital and isn't sure whether Erfworld was real or something he dreamt up while in a coma. Then we get his journey to find Judy and the Arkenshoes, followed by a timeskip for the Erfworld crew.