Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it is virtually impossible to destroy a modern city with HE. you'd be surprised how little damage actually HE actually does to steel/concrete buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Additionally, the gigantic saturation firebombing campaigns against Germany during WWII generally killed a single digit percentage of the population of the bombed cities. It's really hard to bomb a city to rubble. Cities are huge, and the destructive radius of a bomb is a microscopic pinprick on the map.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A.o.D. posted:

The surest way is to quarantine the area and turn many thousands of your soldiers into war criminals, but if it absolutely has to be right loving now, and the consequences of not going nuclear are worse than the consequences of freaking out the other nuclear powers and irradiating your own countryside, then it's time to start dropping The Bomb.

Man now I'm wondering what the immediate reaction of the other great powers would be to the United States nuking its own territory to kill some apocalyptic event.

You probably can't alt-history that one past the immediate "wtf" stage though without more details on exactly what, why, and what's visible to everyone else.

Probably wouldn't trigger MAD though!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MAD is not a thing that is triggered, Jesus loving Christ at least use the term right

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Smiling Jack posted:

MAD is not a thing that is triggered, Jesus loving Christ at least use the term right
You mad? Triggered much? :smugbert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

You mad? Triggered much? :smugbert:

drat, :golfclap:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smiling Jack posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, you know what I meant. In this hypothetical situation of an alien invasion or Gray goo sci fi horror that causes the USG to use nuclear weapons on its own cities, I would be surprised if the other nuclear powers were to immediately retaliate.

Happy now?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A very good read from the AI thread.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

As for the bombing question, zombies/rage virus zombies/black friday shoppers aren't really hiding and don't have AAA capability, so you can bomb them with impunity. The question here would be how fast can you get mudmovers armed and in the air? Also, who would direct the fire?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

As for the bombing question, zombies/rage virus zombies/black friday shoppers aren't really hiding and don't have AAA capability, so you can bomb them with impunity. The question here would be how fast can you get mudmovers armed and in the air? Also, who would direct the fire?

The question isn't how fast you can start pounding a defenseless target, fundamentally it's an issue of the lethality of the ordinance. You could have B52s flying wingtip to wingtip from one end of the city to another dropping sticks of 2000 pound bombs followed by another formation crop dusting with napalm and not get anywhere close to a 100% fatality rate. You could do a gently caress load of damage and kill a poo poo ton of people, but it's not going to be anything like sterilizing the area. Even chemical weapons aren't going to have that kind of body count. You'll get more with modern chemical weapons, but there are still going to be pockets of survivors.

If you absolutely, positively, have to make sure that every living thing in an urban zone is dead you have to use nukes, and many of them dropped on the same target with overlapping blast radii.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is a zombie question, isn't it?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, if you bomb it to a containable state, then you have options. Plus, anything that's spreading fast is probably taking to the streets. Though I doubt you can catch them in a cordoning ring of fire fast enough.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I look forward to your 120 page book published on amazon about this zombie breakout conventional warfare scenario op.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Certain cities could conceivably have 155 rounds incoming in about a minute. Assuming there was a battery on the range when the call came in.

If the city were Oceanside CA there would even be a smile on their faces as they service the target.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Let me restate what I said earlier, with numbers. The lethal radius of a Mk 82 bomb built for fragmentation is nominally about 19,200 square meters, for unprotected humans standing out in the open according to the internet. The land area of Los Angeles is about 1,214,030,000 square meters. You'd need about 63,000 bombs, best case, assuming everything is perfect. Since people will be in buildings, you'd probably need at least an order of magnitude more. A typical bomber can carry what, less than a hundred such bombs? Do we even have 63,000 bombs in the inventory? I would think so, but probably not all in a bunker by the runway and ready to go.

As such it's unlikely that the US Air Force could accomplish the mission set out in the original post using conventional weapons on any level of forewarning shorter than the budget and procurement processes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shooting Blanks posted:

They never are

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wait, so if you’re in a wood hut or something 19,000 meters away from an mk82 going off you’re dead to rights? That seems really far away. Am I reading this completely wrong?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait, so if you’re in a wood hut or something 19,000 meters away from an mk82 going off you’re dead to rights? That seems really far away. Am I reading this completely wrong?

Square meters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mlmp08 posted:

Square meters.

Which makes it about a 155 meter diameter circle. Still pretty impressive. Note that's the lethal radius in a perfectly flat theoretical space without cover.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Something like a 80m radius.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

The lethal radius of a Mk 82 bomb built for fragmentation is nominally about 19,200 square meters
Is that "can be killed" or "will be killed"? Radius of about 78 metres?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's a good question, how do they define the 'Kill radius'. Percentage of targets hit within that radius? What would that figure be?

Edit: Overpressure?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 2, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

504 posted:

The "rules"

It has to be N O W!!
Non nuclear
Chemical weapons are ok if its quicker
COMPLETE removal of life is required, no consideration for civilians caught in the area, the size of a few city blocks but rapidly expanding.

Appreciate muchly the help!

Can you give us more details about what we're trying to kill? Even a modest timeframe would be good too. Cause in the wildly improbable event of something happening that would need killing in an American city like that, even assuming you'd just nuke the place via missile, I'd say it'd take a few hours before they push the button.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

That's a good question, how do they define the 'Kill radius'. Percentage of targets hit within that radius? What would that figure be?

Edit: Overpressure?

It's probably some kind of LD50 type thing where outside the kill radius it's only going to stun infantry in fortifications and infantry in the open will not be killed outright.

I did some searching and found this table in MCWP 3-23.1: Close Air Support.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/usmc/mcwp/3-23-1/appf.pdf

Distances for a Mk 82 are 245 meters with a 10% probability of incapacitation, and 425 meters for a 0.1% probability of incapacitation. "Danger Close" fires are impacts within that 0.1% radius.

(For tube artillery and mortars you can find a chart here)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can you give us more details about what we're trying to kill? Even a modest timeframe would be good too. Cause in the wildly improbable event of something happening that would need killing in an American city like that, even assuming you'd just nuke the place via missile, I'd say it'd take a few hours before they push the button.

At this point why not talk about dropping very large and heavy objects from space, same effect less radiation?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

Blind Rasputin posted:

I look forward to your 120 page book published on amazon about this zombie breakout conventional warfare scenario op.

Nebakenezzer posted:

drat it, I was hoping to get away with admitting it's a zombie question.. Yes the scenario is an outbreak of the rage virus in a major city.

His point of view: It would be easy to contain with a quick military response and chemical weapons

My point of view: They couldn't even respond to Katrina quickly, how would they respond to a fast, aggressive expanding unpresidented infection.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

504 posted:

drat it, I was hoping to get away with admitting it's a zombie question.. Yes the scenario is an outbreak of the rage virus in a major city.

His point of view: It would be easy to contain with a quick military response and chemical weapons

My point of view: They couldn't even respond to Katrina quickly, how would they respond to a fast, aggressive expanding unpresidented infection.

Easier to quarantine, blockade, barricade, no fly zone.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Stuff like ragers are only as likely to stay in buildings as the people they're trying to kill, and, unlike zombies, they probably respond well to being shot.

Probably not that hard to contain, but considering the reaction time involved - especially when we don't have a history of rage outbreaks which would tell us that SHTF, so nobody is rushing to bomb downtown LA - the whole city would likely be a writeoff.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Question: why shouldn't Canada get an arleigh Burke? Aren't they going to be dicking around in the artic circle with Russia in a few years?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

504 posted:

Really there's no such thing as a quick military response because logistics are a lot of work. If you know in advance you're going to have to do something on short notice, you try your hardest to do all the logistics beforehand. Since this kind of scenario (the need for very large and very quick force in the US) is not part of the military's mission, they haven't done the logistics beforehand and they're going to suck at it.

Cf. the air defense response to 9/11. Russia starts looking like a large aerospace threat is imminent? Sure, we've been thinking about that for a long time and would (hopefully) do a good job at it. Need to kill even one large and slow airliner on very short notice? Surprisingly hard.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also a city like LA would be an absolute nightmare to contain. It’s a massive sprawl without easily definable boarders. How do you decide what’s safe? Also the highway system already boned you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stairmaster posted:

Question: why shouldn't Canada get an arleigh Burke? Aren't they going to be dicking around in the artic circle with Russia in a few years?

They’re awesome multi-purpose ships, but they ain’t cheap, either to operate and maintain, or to build in the first place.

Of course, the budget number that a quick google shows me for the CSC program would let them buy DOUBLE the number of hulls that they’re planning on, if they went with DDG-51s instead of whatever frigate they’re planning on.

Look into your heart and you’ll find the answer you seek.

Its massive, hilarious graft and pork. It always is.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Alaan posted:

Also a city like LA would be an absolute nightmare to contain. It’s a massive sprawl without easily definable boarders. How do you decide what’s safe? Also the highway system already boned you.

There's a reason New York is a favorite for these kinds of scenarios. All the parts of the city anyone gives a drat about are in an easy-to-isolate target.

I take it that National Guard bases are few and far inbetween and not exactly brimming with uniformed soldiers ready to rumble? Containment would then fall on cops, gun nuts and Californian forest fires.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

JcDent posted:

There's a reason New York is a favorite for these kinds of scenarios. All the parts of the city anyone gives a drat about are in an easy-to-isolate target.

I take it that National Guard bases are few and far inbetween and not exactly brimming with uniformed soldiers ready to rumble? Containment would then fall on cops, gun nuts and Californian forest fires.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that NYDP maintains a couple of tubes of 105 with CS rounds, ‘just in case’.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Seems like the immediate problem here is a combination of containment as well as elimination - Fast Zombies / Rage virus is one of those "you are hosed" scenarios where if you can't do both immediately, comprehensively & completely... it spreads too fast to handle. Even if you had multiple combat engineer battalions with appropriate heavy lift vehicles deploying hescos, enough vehicles with crew-served able to deploy for interlocking fields of fire to prevent squirters until permanent barriers are set up, and arty to cover every loving approach with both FASCAM & conventional munitions , good luck. Army mothballed the Volcano systems back in the 90s but is putting them back into rotation, but even drawing ammo for all the various units is a huge issue.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ok now bear with me here, I've got something for this exact scenario...

*Reveals high-school science fair project entitled "Weaponized Cum"*

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Regulated by the :cumpolice:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you wanted containment options OP, the government and the CDC would have studied/ made plans for nightmarish disease containment already. I'm not familiar with the "rage virus" trope, but if it's a virus it has to spread like one. Even if it is airborne, it's going to take awhile to spread, and it's gonna take awhile to manifest itself. If you're talking about a evil scientist setting poo poo off in downtown LA, likely the disease is more or less conventionally spreading for a time before everything goes nuts. Even then, the government would likely treat it like a conventional virus outbreak. IMO to get to the point where the government is preemptively attacking/nuking someplace to stop a virus outbreak would take far more than merely an very deadly infectious virus - a whole history is needed to justify that action.

If you dig into this thread you can find a real life example of the Soviets dealing with exactly this situation - they accidentally exposed people to their weaponized smallpox virus. Fortunately for them (and the whole world) it was recognized quickly, and the head of the KGB was notified. He stopped the trains heading in and out of the city, and then the Soviets started a very through quarantine/ disinfection program.