Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woo, a 22lbs package is on its way from Portland! I know what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mage knight can be bad if you never have three hours for a game

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

please knock Mom! posted:

Mage knight can be bad if you never have three hours for a game

Blitz 2-3P takes like 1-1.5h tops. Honestly if Chvatil has used wargame concepts for the game it would’ve been a lot easier to understand. MK is actually a Waro, and mostly in the wargame category. I mean it literally is a hex and counter wargame but with hand management instead of dice combat and movement points. Half the confusion seems to be about zone of control or enemy ZOC. The other half seems to be about the iconography chrome (some units actually act like tank and shock troops), but that’s easily solved by the outstanding BGG player aid. Why the game didn’t have those is confusing but it’s a WizKids game. :shrug:

E: tbh I would probably say no retreat russian front is MK-lite. It has DRMs and known movement points, but it does keep a bunch of hand management concepts for reinforcements and special actions (MK spells).

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 2, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I've never convinced anyone to play Blitz on MK. Usually if someone wants to play that game, they want to do the longer one with more progression etc.

My main issue with Mage Knight, which I learned after playing a 4-player game, is that the player interaction is super minimal. What is actually there is not really fun either. The other players act mostly as timers and as things that take up space for you to explore. Nothing is worse than waiting for another player's turn on Mage Knight. Because of how the mana die work, you can't really pre-plan your own turn. You also can't really tell what the other player is doing. They are usually staring at their hand, or muttering to themselves while they put cards out on the table and shake their head. You're just watching another person do a puzzle, basically. Sometimes it takes really loving long toward late game.

It's still kind of a cool and fun game. I wish I had been able to play it in college or something where I could guilt-free spend all night playing it. As it is now, I can never really justify the game's length for what I "get out of it."

I tried playing a solo game about a year ago, and it was OKAY but not really worth doing. I tell myself that 2-player would be probably ideal, but I ended up selling the game because my wife never wanted to play it anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

angel opportunity posted:

I tried playing a solo game about a year ago, and it was OKAY but not really worth doing. I tell myself that 2-player would be probably ideal, but I ended up selling the game because my wife never wanted to play it anyway.

That's like 90% of the games I want to play these days.

One day my kid will be able to (and want to, hopefully) play Mage Knight and all will be well. Or he'll be out of the house and I can find others who want to play Mage Knight. Until then the copy stays on the shelf. The big problem is that while I enjoy solo, I don't play it enough to really know the rules, and re-learning every time makes it less than ideal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

angel opportunity posted:

I've never convinced anyone to play Blitz on MK. Usually if someone wants to play that game, they want to do the longer one with more progression etc.

My main issue with Mage Knight, which I learned after playing a 4-player game, is that the player interaction is super minimal. What is actually there is not really fun either. The other players act mostly as timers and as things that take up space for you to explore. Nothing is worse than waiting for another player's turn on Mage Knight. Because of how the mana die work, you can't really pre-plan your own turn. You also can't really tell what the other player is doing. They are usually staring at their hand, or muttering to themselves while they put cards out on the table and shake their head. You're just watching another person do a puzzle, basically. Sometimes it takes really loving long toward late game.

Yep, just like a wargame, apparently it turns out that having one division (I'm guessing, it doesn't make sense scale-wise to compare them to armies) as your character doesn't make sense to do a lot of things. Essentially, all players are fighting a single front with their divisions all helping out, considering the shape of the board. I forget if the game has a 2v2 mode but that would make better sense for PvP as you could then surround your opponent's division with yours. I honestly think the game would've benefited from having logistical supply chains you could cut off to drain your opponents out of their cards, as well as having a couple separate tokens for your minions as support battalions who could help in that manner too. Having your entire force be relegated to a single hex is a weakness in design imo.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep, just like a wargame, apparently it turns out that having one division (I'm guessing, it doesn't make sense scale-wise to compare them to armies) as your character doesn't make sense to do a lot of things. Essentially, all players are fighting a single front with their divisions all helping out, considering the shape of the board. I forget if the game has a 2v2 mode but that would make better sense for PvP as you could then surround your opponent's division with yours. I honestly think the game would've benefited from having logistical supply chains you could cut off to drain your opponents out of their cards, as well as having a couple separate tokens for your minions as support battalions who could help in that manner too. Having your entire force be relegated to a single hex is a weakness in design imo.

Don't give Vlaada ideas for more systems

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

Don't give Vlaada ideas for more systems

Don't act like you wouldn't buy a monster war game epic fantasy space voltron logistical supply chain army battle game from Chvatil. By god, that's the only way we'll get goofy-looking galaxy trucker gundams made into a wargame.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
That would be a totally different game. Mage Knight is mostly exploring out into a cone. The cards are designed to not be lost and make up your "character." If you had a system where other players could drain your cards it would be so radically different.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Looking for a game recommendation for a two player card or board game to play with my wife. We enjoy playing games with each other, but have issues finding good ones because of different backgrounds: her family played "games" like Pass the Pigs or Yahtzee, I'm a gaming meganerd and a somewhat competitive RTS player. So whenever we play something more strategic like Rivals for Catan or Tak, even though she groks the rules and enjoys it on some level, I tend to win by a mile.

Thus, recently we've been playing games like Speed or Ligretto (which is essentially multiplayer solitaire). They're okay, but a bit simplistic. I think ideally we'd have something that was fast-paced/real-time like those, but also with some light strategy. Oh, video game-wise she does like playing puzzle games against me, in the past we've done lots of Tetris Plus, Tetris Attack, and recently Puyo Puyo Tetris. And she really really liked Plants vs Zombies 1, I think she unlocked everything back in the day. Not sure if that's helpful.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Cicero posted:

Looking for a game recommendation for a two player card or board game to play with my wife. We enjoy playing games with each other, but have issues finding good ones because of different backgrounds: her family played "games" like Pass the Pigs or Yahtzee, I'm a gaming meganerd and a somewhat competitive RTS player. So whenever we play something more strategic like Rivals for Catan or Tak, even though she groks the rules and enjoys it on some level, I tend to win by a mile.

Thus, recently we've been playing games like Speed or Ligretto (which is essentially multiplayer solitaire). They're okay, but a bit simplistic. I think ideally we'd have something that was fast-paced/real-time like those, but also with some light strategy. Oh, video game-wise she does like playing puzzle games against me, in the past we've done lots of Tetris Plus, Tetris Attack, and recently Puyo Puyo Tetris. And she really really liked Plants vs Zombies 1, I think she unlocked everything back in the day. Not sure if that's helpful.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective might fill the bill

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's early days yet, but after playing a bit of Gloomhaven, I don't see myself going back to Mage Knight. For me, it fixes the most frustrating problems with MK: no control over when you can use your own ability cards, and a sense that any deviation from the optimal path will inevitably lead to a loss.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cicero posted:

Patchwork is a two player head-to-head Tetris board game. It sounds custom made for you two. Essentially you are laying odd shaped tiles on a board in order to score the most points as the pieces come down a queue. Take pieces to foil your opponent while also building the highest scoring quilt. Pretty cheap, too.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

Fuse sounds perfect for you, it's a cooperative real-time dice game. It has a sequel out, Flatline, that adds complexity, but I think the simpler Fuse would work better.

Here's a nice overview that goes over the game pretty well. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1538669/minas-mini-review-fuse-2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also suggesting Patchwork. Fantastic 2-player game, and the box is tiny so it's easy to transport if you want to take it somewhere.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cicero posted:

I think your wife would appreciate Patchwork, especially if she likes puzzle video games.
Also, consider a cooperative game like Pandemic, as long as you can be trusted to behave yourself and not try to make every decision for both players :)
Another good co-op is the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. I am told that Arkham Horror Card Game is essentially version 2.0 of Lord of the Rings with streamlined mechanics, but I haven't actually played it yet and can't give a firsthand recommendation.

edit:
beaten twice on patchwork. That's such a good game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

the panacea posted:

Is there a game similar to archipelago that doesn’t come with the baggage of colonialism?

Define “similar”. New Angeles actually does the whole “secret win conditions with rising unrest that might be someone’s objective!” thing in a cyberpunk setting, but from other impressions it sounds like the game isn’t meaty enough to foster the same amount of trade and interdependence that Archipelago does. There’s a ton of euros that make turning cubes into other cubes into money exciting, but they either forbid trading or it’s tacked on in a very “you can do this if you feel like it” sort of way. You may want to look into stock-trading games if you want a game that reacts dynamically to individual decisions and facilitates crafty wheeling and dealing. But yeah Archipelago hits so many different notes that I have a hard time making recommendations based on it.

E: Sunnavabitch, looks like Boelinger is making a sci-fi version of the game on Kickstarter as we speak.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 2, 2017

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I found a used copy of Caylus for $30 today. I bought just based on how often it’s mentioned in this thread.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

December 2, 2017. Temperature 12 C, fair winds. It is the 212th anniversary of Austerlitz and two old grognards gather together to send men crashing to their deaths.

Thomas St. Lyon makes a rude gesture as the allies gear up for an attack. I meet him on the field, signalling my Hussars to show no quarter!

It is the first time playing our respective sides and early errors lead to an awkward push in the middle. Allied command is strained and my frustration becomes apparent as detached units aren't marched back in line.

To the north, Bagration is pushed back to the river bank while his corps are cut off. Smelling blood, the French bring out their reinforcements hoping to roll the red army up from north to south!

But a series of decisive attacks by the Chevalier guard and Regiment of Life Guards smash through a poorly defended ridge causing the frog's will to crumble. The Allies take the day and in time for lunch.

Lessons learned: it took some time to dust off the cobwebs and settle into our roles. With weaker command the Allies cannot be as reliant on cavalry screens and feinting manuevers as the French. The early game was a battle of attrition, one which the French would've won, but it wasn't until judicious use of our heavy cavalry and guards did we wear down the enemy morale.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 3, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yesssss love the arrows, great aar.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why the hell would you allow drinks on the map what looks like cavalry to roll up your right flank drinks on the map? You won and I'm probably just confused at the drink on the map but I'm guessing if he hadn't brought in the reinforcements, those guys would've ran wild around your rear.

e: oh wait you had some fantastic cavalry flanks too. it's that drink on the map

e2: I'm sleeving cards for a game right now and that still bothers me :argh:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 3, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The French have no respect for others property which was the motivation I needed to whoop their rear end.

But they're bottom heavy whisky glasses at room temperature, no condensation to worry about.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

al-azad posted:

But they're bottom heavy whisky glasses at room temperature, no condensation to worry about.

Room temperature whiskey? How horrid. All whiskey must be imbibed at a full, rolling boil.

... I-I don't drink.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Why the hell would you allow drinks on the map?

That's the game component for Mikhail Kutuzov.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is Sushi Go for 2? I’m going to spend 4 days in a cabin and bad weather is a possibility, so I want variety. Packing Jaipur, Carcassone and Hanamikoji already.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Cicero posted:

Along with what others have already mentioned, you might want to take a look at Puzzle Strike. It's a deckbuilder-like that basically combines Dominion with Super Puzzle Fighter. Relatively simple, plays fairly quickly, decent amount of strategy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

How is Sushi Go for 2? I’m going to spend 4 days in a cabin and bad weather is a possibility, so I want variety. Packing Jaipur, Carcassone and Hanamikoji already.

It's not very interesting. I don't know of any drafting games particularly good for 2.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

the panacea posted:

Is there a game similar to archipelago that doesn’t come with the baggage of colonialism?

The creator of Archipelago has a new kickstarter with a space mining theme:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonioooh/living-planet-by-christophe-boelinger

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Afriscipio posted:

The creator of Archipelago has a new kickstarter with a space mining theme:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonioooh/living-planet-by-christophe-boelinger

It's also not really similar to Archipelago.

Anyone who has problems with the treatment of race in Archipelago should be reminded that the instant you hire a native worker they become a full citizen indistinguishable from any of your colonists, and indeed can immediately start intermarrying with them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

The French have no respect for others property which was the motivation I needed to whoop their rear end.

Yeah that seems alright to me.

But would the french or prussians drink common american swill??? (unless it's actually scotch)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

It's also not really similar to Archipelago.

Anyone who has problems with the treatment of race in Archipelago should be reminded that the instant you hire a native worker they become a full citizen indistinguishable from any of your colonists, and indeed can immediately start intermarrying with them.

There's even a card called slavery, so you know for sure that if nobody's using that card, what you're doing is not slavery. Case closed.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's not very interesting. I don't know of any drafting games particularly good for 2.

Tides of Madness is as good as it gets. It does require familiarity of the deck for both players though as you really need to know what every card does to draft effectively.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

7 Wonders Duel

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After years of accumulating too many board games, I've decided to condense my board game collection by participating in some math trades to get rid of games that just don't make it to the table. I'm fairly confident that I can get some good stuff with what I'm trading away, so now the question I have to answer is what gaps in my collection do I need to fill.

The core of my collection that I'm keeping is below. All of these are games my group and I enjoy, and we'd be happy to see come out onto the table. If I had to pick my 3 favorites of the below titles it would probably be Dominant Species, Keyflower, and Dominion.

Worker Placement:: Puerto Rico, Caylus, Agricola, Endeavor, Keyflower, orleans, Three Kingdoms Redux

Transportation & Economic: Imperial, The Great Zimbabwe, Food Chain Magnate

Dudes on a Map: Dominant Species, Chaos in the Old World, Kemet, Forbidden Stars, Eclipse, Scythe, A Game of Thrones, Dune, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain

Dungeon Crawler: Gloomhaven, Arcadia Quest

Other Notables: Barony, Battlestar, Citadels, Dominion w/ All Expansions, Glory to Rome, Tigris & Euphrates, Tragedy Looper, Steampunk Rally, Mysterium, A multitude of 2 player games & social deduction games I won't bother listing.

Games I have coming Brass, Founders of Gloomhaven

--------------------

I think all in all it's a pretty well rounded collection, so now I need to figure out what I actually want to gain from this math trade. What I'm looking for is to either fill gaps from game genre's I'm missing or to get truly excellent games from the above categories that I've missed over the years. If I can’t fill my want list with those criteria, then I just have some left-field titles that sound interesting to me.

Antike II/Mare Nostrum Empires/Nations: I don’t have a CIV type game in my collection. I’ve also never actually played one. Out of these I would lean towards Antike II, because it’s the one I’ve heard the most positive things about.

Concordia/Tzolk’in: I feel like these are the two major mainstream Eurogames I’ve somehow missed out on. I’m not sure how necessary they are given my rather large euro collection, but I've been perpetually interested in trying them, especially Tzolk’in, which I’ve heard nothing but immense praise for over all these years.

The Gallerist/Kanban/Lisboa: I enjoy worker placement, and I’ve yet to try a Lacerda game. I’m not sure how I would decide between the 3.

Ora et Labora, Caverna, Le Harve: I enjoy Agricola a lot, and haven’t really played other Uwe games. How I should decide between these 3, I have no clue. What I like about Agricola is that it subverts the normal worker placement formula of being a point salad, and instead is about the highly stressful act of creating an engine that lets you barely eek every feeding phase, and only then worrying about snagging a few points.

Indonesia: Great Zimbabwe and Food Chain mangate are big hits, and
transportation/economic games are a category where I am lacking.

Keythedral: We enjoy Keyflower for it’s neat integration of multiple euro mechanics with a highly cut-throat level of player interactivity. This seems to employ similar themes with different mechanics.

Archipelago: It’s combination of economic/transportation with area control along with an interesting social dynamic sounds like nothing else I own

The Voyages of Marco Polo: Very few of my games use dice, and I generally like it that way. This might be an opportunity to see a game that actually uses dice well. Seems like it would fill a unique niche in my collection.

El Grande: Honestly, my dudes on a map section is filled out pretty well. However, similar to Tzolk’in, I’ve heard nothing but increase praise for this game over many years.

Anyone have any input on the games I'm interested in. I'd be especially interested in help picking from the ones out of the groups: Lacerda Games, Civ Games, Uwe games.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2017

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's even a card called slavery, so you know for sure that if nobody's using that card, what you're doing is not slavery. Case closed.
Nice one.

quote:

guy who I can’t quote right now on my mobile
The problem lies not in the game mechanics but in the setting itself. If half the group at the table has immediate family in the West Indies and can trace their family tree back to revolutionaries, then I don’t think it’s over sensitive to say that

bgg posted:

But players also need to be careful of the natives; if they make them too unhappy or if too many of them are unoccupied, they could revolt and declare independence. Then everyone will lose!

Doesn’t make people look forward to playing it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Yeah that seems alright to me.

But would the french or prussians drink common american swill??? (unless it's actually scotch)

*scoffs* I said whisky not whis-key. Glenfiddich 18. Old enough to vote.

Megasabin posted:

Antike II/Mare Nostrum Empires/Nations: I don’t have a CIV type game in my collection. I’ve also never actually played one. Out of these I would lean towards Antike II, because it’s the one I’ve heard the most positive things about.

Concordia/Tzolk’in: I feel like these are the two major mainstream Eurogames I’ve somehow missed out on. I’m not sure how necessary they are given my rather large euro collection, but I've been perpetually interested in trying them, especially Tzolk’in, which I’ve heard nothing but immense praise for over all these years.

The Gallerist/Kanban/Lisboa: I enjoy worker placement, and I’ve yet to try a Lacerda game. I’m not sure how I would decide between the 3.

Ora et Labora, Caverna, Le Harve: I enjoy Agricola a lot, and haven’t really played other Uwe games. How I should decide between these 3, I have no clue. What I like about Agricola is that it subverts the normal worker placement formula of being a point salad, and instead is about the highly stressful act of creating an engine that lets you barely eek every feeding phase, and only then worrying about snagging a few points.
Indonesia: Great Zimbabwe and Food Chain mangate are big hits, and transportation/economic games are a category where I am lacking.

Keythedral: We enjoy Keyflower for it’s neat integration of multiple euro mechanics with a highly cut-throat level of player interactivity. This seems to employ similar themes with different mechanics.

Archipelago: It’s combination of economic/transportation with area control along with an interesting social dynamic sounds like nothing else I own

The Voyages of Marco Polo: Very few of my games use dice, and I generally like it that way. This might be an opportunity to see a game that actually uses dice well. Seems like it would fill a unique niche in my collection.

El Grande: Honestly, my dudes on a map section is filled out pretty well. However, similar to Tzolk’in, I’ve heard nothing but increase praise for this game over many years.

Anyone have any input on the games I'm interested in. I'd be especially interested in help picking from the ones out of the groups: Lacerda Games, Civ Games, Uwe games.

If you want a Civ type game I would start with the new Through the Ages. Your group enjoys heavy enough games that getting it to the table won't be much of a problem. Mare Nostrum is a civ/war hybrid set in the ancient period and is the type of game like Twilight Imperium that involves a lot of trade, diplomacy, and table talk. Jedit's Nations alarm has probably gone off and he'll say the game is poo poo but it's not, although it's definitely the weakest among the mentions.

With Lacerda games pick the one that has the theme you like. I haven't played Kanban, and people say it's the best, but they're all heavy Euros with gears within gears. That said I think they're weak as worker placement, it's just there to select actions and doesn't really drive the game.

Agricola is Rosenberg's meanest Euro. Caverna veers towards point salad and far more puzzle-y in that everything is available in every game. Le Havre overall is closest to Agricola in style with a focus on production.

I'd say Archipelago will cover both your worker placement and area control needs.

Marco Polo is great but looking at your collection I don't think your group would attach to it.

El Grande is objectively the best game ever, but it's also 20+ years old. If you have the kind of group that's like "yo sling down Dominant Species RIGHT NOW" they'll probably bounce of El Grande. But man it's the best area control that plays in like 60 minutes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Which Tash Kalar was the bad one wrt component quality? The ones with Z-Man on the box?

CaptainRightful posted:

7 Wonders Duel

This is as good an excuse as anything to buy it, it's been on my wishlist for a while. Is the Pantheon expansion indispensable/nice to have/bloat?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I got Timeline Challenge as a gift :whitewater:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

I got Timeline Challenge as a gift :whitewater:

Timeline Challenge is actually really good as far as trivia games go so I'd consider that a gift success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

Which Tash Kalar was the bad one wrt component quality? The ones with Z-Man on the box?

This is as good an excuse as anything to buy it, it's been on my wishlist for a while. Is the Pantheon expansion indispensable/nice to have/bloat?

Somewhere between indispensable and nice. It's really quite good, and adds some extra decisions, but I think it definitely requires having a few plays under your belt first