Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I finally took the lock off the kitchen door to see why the latch doesn't work properly - opened it up to find that the original spring must have been broken or lost a very long time ago, so someone replaced it with a corset spring.

The corset spring was all flat and non-springy, so I replaced it in turn with a springy hair decoration from Claire's.

Lock works perfectly now - I feel so competent.

(also, it another 50 years when someone opens the lock to see why it's not working, they are going to be very puzzled when they find the tiny spring with a pearl on one end.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I successfully performed surgery on my thrift store clothes dryer, and now it's as good as new :kimchi:

(One of the roller wheels had exploded, the other was severely gummed up, the motor was caked in lint, and the belt was loose)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone whose creative works I really respect just responded to me about a piece of writing I shared with them some time back:

quote:

I just read the piece you shared with me and I so thoroughly enjoyed it! You are such a talented writer!

They went on to quote the piece and pick out a few lines they especially enjoyed. I am simply floored!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I made a friend through Facebook like 8 years ago, we met through a page for sharing mountain photos and bonded over our love of travel and physical geography. She lives in India and we've never met.

We just figured out we're both going to be in London in May. I was planning on going home 3 days before she arrives. Welp, now it looks like I'm extending my trip for a few days so we can finally meet! I am so excited about this!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My dad's bike was stolen from outside the house yesterday :(

Today, while walking back from the shops and only about 5 minutes from the house, we found it outside a shop so we stole it back again!

Huzzah!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

stepdad very likely has renal cell carcinoma in both his kidneys
Update on this: stepdad had multiple dark spots on both kidneys as well as inflamed lymph nodes indicating likely renal cell carcenoma + metastasization which would likely be a long, painful death sentence for him.

He had a biopsy done a couple days ago to remove the spots on one of the kidneys. Not only were they non-cancerous and smaller than indicated on the scan, but the lymph nodes were benign, and the other kidney is likely fine as well. Plus, the dark spots weren't "in" the kidney, so the surgeon was able to basically scrape them off the outside of the kidney, meaning he didn't have to open the kidney itself, which would have CONSIDERABLY lengthened recovery time and potential damage to the kidney itself. There was an 85% chance of it being cancer, and he happened to be in the 15% not cancer.

It is literally the best possible outcome. In fact, he was only in the hospital for two days, he's already out and home. poo poo's fantastic. Nothing quite like a cancer scare to make you appreciate what you've got in life!

Pookah posted:

My dad's bike was stolen from outside the house yesterday :(

Today, while walking back from the shops and only about 5 minutes from the house, we found it outside a shop so we stole it back again!

Huzzah!
Did you see who took it or investigate at all, they might do it again if he's not locking it up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I know I've said some unkind things about you in the past, but forums dumbassery aside, I am so happy for your stepdad's diagnosis and recovery. That is just grand.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MisterBibs posted:

Some couples occasionally act like they don't know each other. Me? I get to be the dude who stays late to hang out with the bartender he's got a crush on, get to drink a bit more, and get to go home with her. :3:

There's a joke about bar food and hot dogs in here somewhere but damned if I can find it.

All joking aside, good for you, dude. That's goddamn adorable.

I was unemployed for all of two weeks and had enough savings to last me. New job pays $5/hour more.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

Update on this: stepdad had multiple dark spots on both kidneys as well as inflamed lymph nodes indicating likely renal cell carcenoma + metastasization which would likely be a long, painful death sentence for him.

He had a biopsy done a couple days ago to remove the spots on one of the kidneys. Not only were they non-cancerous and smaller than indicated on the scan, but the lymph nodes were benign, and the other kidney is likely fine as well. Plus, the dark spots weren't "in" the kidney, so the surgeon was able to basically scrape them off the outside of the kidney, meaning he didn't have to open the kidney itself, which would have CONSIDERABLY lengthened recovery time and potential damage to the kidney itself. There was an 85% chance of it being cancer, and he happened to be in the 15% not cancer.

It is literally the best possible outcome. In fact, he was only in the hospital for two days, he's already out and home. poo poo's fantastic. Nothing quite like a cancer scare to make you appreciate what you've got in life!
Did you see who took it or investigate at all, they might do it again if he's not locking it up.

That is absolutely wonderful news about your stepdad!

About the bike - We found it while walking back from the shops so we just grabbed it and ran off, we didn't want to hang around and risk getting into a street argument with whoever took it. The fact that it was still so close to where it was stolen kinda suggests that either the thief doesn't have the brains to consider that it is not a good idea to ride around on a stolen bike in the neighbourhood you stole it in , or they already sold it on to someone else. Either way, not someone we wanted to risk meeting.

Bike's all locked up and safe now :)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I received more positive feedback about my writing, this time for some non-fiction work I've posted. Really makes me feel good that people are enjoying my creations!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I just got two copies of a magazine I got published in today. Only a readership of a couple thou, and the cheque was only for 220 dollars, but!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
300 workouts so far for 2017. I don't know how my parts haven't fallen off yet.

EDIT: Left out a word.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Dec 7, 2017

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Dick Trauma posted:

300 workouts so far for 2017. I don't how my parts haven't fallen off yet.

Having read your old TFLC logs, that's really, really awesome to hear, man.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Passed my PE license exam and have enough recommendations to apply for my license!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
^^^Congrats!

I got a grant for job training that will cover all my supplies and books and everything! Also my Christmas present came early---an amazing new mattress to replace my old lovely one!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Bruised my tibial plateau, which doesn't sound terrible but lemme tell ya, the day after Thanksgiving. Couldn't hardly walk for a week then kinda shuffled around for another. Got a cortisone shot earlier this week and today I was pain free.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I just ended my last day as a peon at work, and tomorrow my promotion kicks in. Now I just need to concentrate on not loving up suddenly having more that 20 direct reports

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My day was awesome today because I got this cool gift from my girlfriend (sorry for crappy phone photos)

It's a dvd of a live performance by Heaven & Hell at Radio City. What I didn't know was that it was the coolest most awesome gift I have ever received ever and probably for the rest of my days because

it's signed by :regd10: himself!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Langosta Whiteman posted:

My day was awesome today because I got this cool gift from my girlfriend (sorry for crappy phone photos)

It's a dvd of a live performance by Heaven & Hell at Radio City. What I didn't know was that it was the coolest most awesome gift I have ever received ever and probably for the rest of my days because

it's signed by :regd10: himself!

Put a goddamned ring on that woman's finger.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Regarding my posts in the following thread, starting at this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790942&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post479043964

I got these today

Hopefully I will not die now! :woop:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So the red one is for fire and the white one is for....snow?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I decided to try and write a guidebook for local accessible trails and activities because it seems to be a niche that is actually badly lacking in information.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Solice Kirsk posted:

So the red one is for fire and the white one is for....snow?

The white one is only for liquids (like gas) and electric, whereas the red one is for liquids, electric, and paper/wood/trash. Different chemicals. You can see it on the bottles in the pictures.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
New mattress and washing machine arrived today, weight hitting new lows from feeling too lovely to eat like my normal gluttonous self lately.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It's snowing :yayclod:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

The white one is only for liquids (like gas) and electric, whereas the red one is for liquids, electric, and paper/wood/trash. Different chemicals. You can see it on the bottles in the pictures.

Liquids aren't gas. By definition.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I believe the poster meant "gasoline."

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dick Trauma posted:

I believe the poster meant "gasoline."

Yeah, gasoline. 'Gas' is shorthand for 'gasoline'. For example, "gently caress, my gas can exploded cause I was smoking a cigarette and I need a fire extinguisher!" There's a picture of a gas can on the extinguisher, come on man (woman).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! See, I thought only the container that held gasoline was flammable (since I always see those stickers on them even if there isn't any gasoline in them). That makes sense to have a special fire extinguisher just for gasoline containers then.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Most gasoline containers are just made out of plastic, you don't need a special extinguisher for those

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
it's not loving monday anymore and i can sleep without having to take a pill

e: grammar and goofin'.

Yobgoblin has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
roughy night, and good day. gaming hype

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A bar I go to has aluminum bottles of Bud Light. I have an impromptu collection of them, so another one is always a fun thing

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
I have no sense of time or space beyond xmas. I refuse to think any further ahead, and my brain has apparently agreed to this in a rare moment of solidarity. I've been drinking beer all day. gently caress y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw03AAVUFtA

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
a friend told me i should stand up for myself. glad i listened.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
i need to find the owner of the ring. can't imagine how worried the owner is about losing it. i gotta find out more about the owner.
https://twitter.com/BYOBgoblin/status/941063635618619392

but right now im taking a break and watching sealab2021 with a good goon friend.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Didn't get fired! Hoping to pull off a strong weekend of sleeping and writing to make up for the stresses of these past few weeks.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I caught a tuna in Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
I had a bunch of old vacation days that were about to expire, so I got them in cash instead now at the end of the year. I was...a bit more than expected, I basically doubled my salary this month! Which is extra great, because next month I'm gonna get a pretty nasty dentist bill. It's more than covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I found out that Between is back on Netflix.