Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some mysterious rich people bought LA Weekly and then fired their staff. Now they’re trying to get free contributions.
https://twitter.com/laweekly/status/936995889578516482

Also it’s spelled Angelenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some mysterious rich people bought LA Weekly and then fired their staff. Now they’re trying to get free contributions.

Pretty much every response to that tweet is calling them out on it. :allears:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That tweet is now deleted, alas :(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Wasn’t LA Weekly the one that unionized so the bosses fired everyone?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wasn’t LA Weekly the one that unionized so the bosses fired everyone?

That was Gothamist. They shut the whole publication down to get around legal restrictions on “firing for unionization”.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s hard to keep up with which good journalism outlet has been completely hosed over by rich assholes in which way this year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The guy also shut down SFist, Chicagoist, and LAist despite none of them unionizing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy also shut down SFist, Chicagoist, and LAist despite none of them unionizing.

Also DNAinfo. He’s part of the family that owns the Chicago Cubs. I think he can afford having unionized employees.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of news organizations, this promotion was...not smart.

https://twitter.com/pizzahutdeliver/status/937003439418208256

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of news organizations, this promotion was...not smart.

https://twitter.com/pizzahutdeliver/status/937003439418208256

I don’t get it. Is it because the Sun is a horrible rag?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yes.

In fact it's not sold in Liverpool because of their reporting on the Hillsborough disaster.

Also worth noting: The Sun on Sunday was created to replace another Murdoch paper, the News of The World, after it was embroiled in a phonehacking scandal (including hacking a murdered teenager's phone, which wound up creating the false impression she might still be alive.)

It's also being targeted by the 'Stop Funding Hate' campaign to boycott sponsors of racebaiting newspapers.

So this was catastrophically stupid.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Sun likes to brag that it was vindicated of criminal charges as well, but neglects to mention this is due to throwing low level staff under the bus to avoid anyone important getting prosecuted.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes.

In fact it's not sold in Liverpool because of their reporting on the Hillsborough disaster.

Also worth noting: The Sun on Sunday was created to replace another Murdoch paper, the News of The World, after it was embroiled in a phonehacking scandal (including hacking a murdered teenager's phone, which wound up creating the false impression she might still be alive.)

It's also being targeted by the 'Stop Funding Hate' campaign to boycott sponsors of racebaiting newspapers.

So this was catastrophically stupid.

British media rules

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It sounds only slightly more scummy than literally all of their other newspapers

e: The British press is about on par with the Ugandan press

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please don't conflate the lovely redtops with all British media. I mean most of its terrible but for different reasons.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Not an exact analogy because they're very different types of media, but think of it as "Domino's partners with Breitbart" to understand the strength of feeling from non-psychopaths.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Phlegmish posted:

It sounds only slightly more scummy than literally all of their other newspapers

That poo poo is literally renaissance level bullshit - this type of reporting actually almost got Leonardo Da Vinci killed. There was a scandal during his lifetime as everyone "knew" that the leading artists at the time were gay, but no one really cared - the problem was that it was illegal and iirc carried the death penalty, so for the most part it was a country-wide Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell situation - however, due to some political arguments, a piece was published by some rear end in a top hat "outing" a few dozen political enemies, and Da Vinci happened to have his name on that list. That close call did not help his severe paranoia. (my source was a book I read based on Da Vinci's contribution to the sciences. This book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonardo-Vinci-Scientist-Michael-White/dp/0349112746)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Corrode posted:

Not an exact analogy because they're very different types of media, but think of it as "Domino's partners with Breitbart" to understand the strength of feeling from non-psychopaths.

lol

https://twitter.com/pizzahutdeliver/status/937075669313433600

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

WebDog posted:

I think he means the studio that was behind Dallas Buyers Club attempted to sue Aussies who pirated the film by trying to get ISPs to hand over any ids of whomever matched the ip addresses they had.

Aussie law with pirated stuff generally means if you get caught you pay the dollar amount of the worth of the item, so say $35 per copy you had.

We don't have speculative invoicing as a legal tactic here so their case was thrown out because they were intending to charge people insane amounts based on theoretical numbers based on the idea they seeded it to 100,000 people.

They tried this in Singapore and were told no. There were successful settlements in the states.

Page back and she but yeah, this. gently caress speculative invoicing, especially here where movies, TV shows and games are often on delayed release, stupidly over priced or both. The most frustrating thing is having a TV show or movie that you want to watch but no legitimate means of doing so, and so having to either wait (sometimes months or years) for it to be released or just pirating it.

I'd argue that now, with so many avenues of distribution for both creators and pirates, delayed or staggered release is a dumb marketing move. It's not like the 1950s where you actually had to wait for the movie reels to physically arrive from America, or wherever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Martens on the NYC subway advertising the classic skinhead boot with red laces might not be the best choice.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I can't imagine any meaningful number of people are aware of that connection.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Strudel Man posted:

But Doc Martens assuredly are, which is different than accidentally using that imagery. At best, they didn't care that they were normalizing nazi-skinhead imagery.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Looks pretty fake with the chorus pedal not even plugged in.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I can't imagine why the company that owns Doc Martins doesn't do everything they can to break that association.

I mean, I imagine they have a policy of telling they're marketing guys "Hey, litteral nazis want our boots to synonymous with being a racists rear end in a top hat. Here's a list of things to avoid to help distance us from it." But apparently not.

Moto42 has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Dec 4, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Their owns are white and therefore probably nazis.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

I would probably watch Uganda's Top 100 Homos

but I bet I would get sad at the end of every single episode given how they are treated there :(

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

But Doc Martens assuredly are, which is different than accidentally using that imagery. At best, they didn't care that they were normalizing nazi-skinhead imagery.
The imagery of a guy wearing the shoes they sell, with either white or red laces?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strudel Man posted:

They still look like fascist head‐stomping boots.

That’s fascist (head stomping) boots, not (fascist head) stomping boots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

The imagery of a guy wearing the shoes they sell, with either white or red laces?

Would you try to sell milk by showing a guy in a white polo shirt and khaki pants giving the OK sign while drinking it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Would you try to sell milk by showing a guy in a white polo shirt and khaki pants giving the OK sign while drinking it?

...yes? Why not?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Byzantine posted:

...yes? Why not?

It's the newest nazi dogwhistle

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ziv Zulander posted:

It's the newest nazi dogwhistle
Well that's just stupid.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would probably watch Uganda's Top 100 Homos

but I bet I would get sad at the end of every single episode given how they are treated there :(

With that title I'm imagining something like a VH1 countdown. We just need the Ugandan equivalent of Danny Bonaduce or the Snapple lady to try to be funny about each person.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I briefly broke into the top 10 last year, hoping to continue my lucky streak

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, I knew the color of the laces was symbolic, but I didn't remember the specifics.

That said, you'd expect them to be aware of it/do their research.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strudel Man posted:

Well that's just stupid.

They deliberately do this to try and co-opt innocuous things after it was successful in 'taking back' memes thanks to credulous and hysterical media.

It's like deliberately invoking a Satanic Panic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, milk is a nazi symbol now?

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Wait, milk is a nazi symbol now?

Yeah, because according to them only white people can digest milk (because asians and black people are all lactose intolerant, apparently?), so its a symbol of being white (which is obviously stupid as hell).

Plus milk is white, so double word score.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can see asians but black people?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tired Moritz posted:

I can see asians but black people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Karatela posted:

Yeah, because according to them only white people can digest milk (because asians and black people are all lactose intolerant, apparently?), so its a symbol of being white (which is obviously stupid as hell).

Plus milk is white, so double word score.

Maasai are white now?