Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

delfin posted:

The main thing is, it still works and my HD10 is engoogled.

Debating if Launcher Hijack is something that I'd want or not.

It isn't perfect but it's an okay solution. A little janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Latest Shield tablet updates just came in for me; just the Android N November security patches, but I have to say, I'm kinda impressed nVidia's still updating a mid-2014 device regularly despite abandoning the tablet market.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 1, 2017

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I picked up an HD10 on the sale and I love the thing, ended up removing all the amazon apps, put on google play and threw on nova launcher. I didnt update the OS when I turned it on, so I'm on 5.4.x something, is it worth upgrading or who cares?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

MikeJF posted:

Latest Shield tablet updates just came in for me; just the Android N November security patches, but I have to say, I'm kinda impressed nVidia's still updating a mid-2014 device regularly despite abandoning the tablet market.

Me too, for some reason I was convinced it had been abandoned. I know it isn't getting Oreo, but it is nice to get security patches.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Minty Swagger posted:

I picked up an HD10 on the sale and I love the thing, ended up removing all the amazon apps, put on google play and threw on nova launcher. I didnt update the OS when I turned it on, so I'm on 5.4.x something, is it worth upgrading or who cares?

It's pretty who cares but be careful of I think 54.1.0 because it won't let you down grade ever, and also you can't root reliably (or at all) in versions past it if you care about that.

You also can't ADB reliably past 54.1.0 to uninstall the Amazon bloatware, since the pm uninstall command just plain don't work no more on a lot of apps.

Otherwise yeah it's a fantastic device.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So it's not worth bothering examining ROMs for a Fire, you think? Play Store and LauncherHijack instead?

Will LauncherHijack get reset every time amazon pushes an update?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Didn't notice this thread somehow, so crossposting from the recommend me a tablet thread as I definitely want an Android one.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Please help.

I'm currently trying to guess what sort of phone some relative I've never met would like/need/want
A laptop for an acquaintance , who's 90 years old.
A laptop for my kid (that one I don't mind, and is easy)
A million questions about Kodi (stock answer is now "gently caress off")

I have made a real effort to dodge these in recent years. Often between a "nope", and a "gently caress off".
It's a lot more work that people realise, and as soon as they see some oval office on The Gadget Show, or Which magazine disagree, they ignore my advice. Or worse, buy it, and moan every time it doesn't work perfectly and develops some vague intermittent fault. Many, many of you know this poo poo, I know

And finally a tablet for my Mum. I'm ok with this in principle, but I don't have much of a clue about tablets and have never owend one, despite being the master of all gadget/tech/IT/WiFi allegedly.
She curretly has a Nexus 7, which is "getting slow" and is defiyitely on the small side

My god, there's so many. I have managed to whittle it down a bit. Maybe some of you can help.

Nay -
  • No Amazon things please. Too restricted (I know I can put a launcher on, but the first time it forgets and defaults, my mom will freak out)
  • No Apple. Too expensive
  • No cheapo Chinese off Amazon (Dad is sceptical of off-brands)

Yay -
  • 10" (or 9" even)
  • Still high res/dpi though as I've seen a cheap 10" one with what looked to a 720p panel stretched to gently caress. Big, but pug ugly
  • Android 7 minimum (are there 8 ones out, I couldnt see any) and a manufacturer who has decent rep at updating
  • As close to stock as possible. She's had the Nexus 7 since it came out and has kind of learned the basics, if I get some heavily skinned thing, she'll be lost
  • £200-£250 (yeah UK peeps)

Any ideas? I've got about 10 tabs open with stores and retailers filtered down as much as possible, but there's still dozens

Anyone bought a rad 10" stock-ish tablet with a nice screen lately?(That preferably doesn't involve me spending half of the holidays explaining what a launcher is and how to select Nova)

Looks like I'm whittling it down close to the Zenpads. Any good?

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 2, 2017

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Adolf Glitter posted:

Didn't notice this thread somehow, so crossposting from the recommend me a tablet thread as I definitely want an Android one.

Looks like I'm whittling it down close to the Zenpads. Any good?

Galaxy Tab S2 might fit the bill. Got Android 7, great screen.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

smr posted:

Galaxy Tab S2 might fit the bill. Got Android 7, great screen.

Yeah, the screen has a decent resolution. What's the current Touchwiz(?) like?
Last time I tried it I totally hated it, but that was a while ago.
She's used to stock, I could imagine her being freaked out by the nightmarish kaleidoscope that I recall older Galaxy tablets being

Ah, it's over £300 here too pricey, drat.

The Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10.1 looks pretty decent for £250
Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 10.1 is £80 less so an option if he wants to go cheap.
ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M has a 2k screen which is supposed to look sweet, but a lot of bloatware (that can't be removed)

I'm leaning towards the ZenPad. gently caress knows, my head is spinning with all these options. So many models and the naming "systems" are a shitshow too

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 3, 2017

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Been having a frustrating issue with my Fire HD8. When I try to open the kindle app to read the screen just turns black for a few seconds then goes back to the home screen. Same thing if I try to open a book directly from the Books tab. After fiddling with it for a while eventually I get the option to redownload the book, but I can't figure out how to do this reliably, the option just shows up after a while. Any idea what might be going on here? I also read on my Shield tablet and paperwhite, I wonder if having different progress on various devices is freaking it out a little bit.

I've force stopped the app, cleared cache and data, and still the same issue persists. I might just do a factory reset, but literally everything else on this thing works great. Just the one function that I actually bought this thing for is busted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MikeJF posted:

So it's not worth bothering examining ROMs for a Fire, you think? Play Store and LauncherHijack instead?

Will LauncherHijack get reset every time amazon pushes an update?

Apparently noone has been able to get a custom ROM running on the newest version yet. Also Launcherhijack shouldnt be reset on the next update unless they specifically go after it. It's just a regular APK.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MikeJF posted:

The difference is they have their own store on the Shield series and they are still porting games over to play on all of them. They want to have users use it, so they'll have android secure to the point people trust it without using the resources to force old hardware to use a new OS that doesn't run great on it (without effort). So hopefully the Shield TV keeps selling well enough.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah, the screen has a decent resolution. What's the current Touchwiz(?) like?
Last time I tried it I totally hated it, but that was a while ago.
She's used to stock, I could imagine her being freaked out by the nightmarish kaleidoscope that I recall older Galaxy tablets being

Ah, it's over £300 here too pricey, drat.

The Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10.1 looks pretty decent for £250
Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 10.1 is £80 less so an option if he wants to go cheap.
ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M has a 2k screen which is supposed to look sweet, but a lot of bloatware (that can't be removed)

I'm leaning towards the ZenPad. gently caress knows, my head is spinning with all these options. So many models and the naming "systems" are a shitshow too

Touchwiz on the latest update w/Android 7 isn't terrible. I found it usable.

The other three you mention, I dunno man... I tried the Tab 4... it sucked. Stuttery as all hell. The Tab A has a screen that reflects the price cut from the S2. If you can find an S2 used, I really think it would be your winner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a recommended tablet for low-cost, low-spec, always-plugged-in, resolution-doesn't-matter, highly configurable tablet.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Is there a recommended tablet for low-cost, low-spec, always-plugged-in, resolution-doesn't-matter, highly configurable tablet.

Probably one of the Fire tablets. They're often on woot.com for the 6-7" models for around $20-30.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Probably one of the Fire tablets. They're often on woot.com for the 6-7" models for around $20-30.

Configurable is the key, this is for some experimenting.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

What about getting the Play Store installed and/or using a custom ROM? It looks like you need to find an earlier (and cheaper) one to do the latter, but this should fit the criteria. Other than that, no, there's no other specific super-cheap throwaway tablet recommendation; it's just whatever you can find used on eBay or wherever, or the Chinese stuff on gearbest/banggood/etc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Nexus 7, probably 2013 is better but depending how cheap you want it, 2012 could be decent too

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 7, probably 2013 is better but depending how cheap you want it, 2012 could be decent too

I still use my 2013 but it's going to have limited to no support going forward; avoid the 2012 like the plague, however.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

If any 2012s around haven't cannibalized their own NAND yet.

Also don't be surprised if you eventually have to janitor your 2013 Lineage-style. Four years is drat near forever in ARM time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

If any 2012s around haven't cannibalized their own NAND yet.

Also don't be surprised if you eventually have to janitor your 2013 Lineage-style. Four years is drat near forever in ARM time.

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like that's fine. Though the 2013 isn't as cheap as I thought it'd be, still seems to be $100ish used.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there a 100% safe way to get YouTube on a 2017 Fire? I'm wary of inputting my password into an unofficial app from the Amazon market because it also accesses my gmail account. I'm also worried about trojaned Google services from the web since it seems like a lot of these APKs for installing Google crap on your Amazon device are hosted on random servers.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is there a 100% safe way to get YouTube on a 2017 Fire? I'm wary of inputting my password into an unofficial app from the Amazon market because it also accesses my gmail account. I'm also worried about trojaned Google services from the web since it seems like a lot of these APKs for installing Google crap on your Amazon device are hosted on random servers.

You're supposed to get all the Google frameworks off of APKMirror.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Fire HDX 9 is on sale right now, and it's the 2014 model (SD805) for $70, which is a good deal for that level of performance with a quality display.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The i7 Pixelbook is available now for $1550. Make sure to add the free Google Home to your cart.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are there any cheapish tablets that have or will get Google's AR Stickers?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Trip report - got a Fire HD8 tablet ($99cdn). Followed the above process for installing the play store (worked fine).

I activated the play store under the wrong google account. Went to delete the account, and low and behold, there's no way of removing the account (normally under settings) due to Amazon's customisation. Only way to blow it out was to factory reset the device. That was annoying.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
The display on my Nexus 10 has been acting a bit weird the last few months and now occasionally it'll just go black until I toggle it with the power button. There anything I can do or is it finally time to get a new one?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ashex posted:

The display on my Nexus 10 has been acting a bit weird the last few months and now occasionally it'll just go black until I toggle it with the power button. There anything I can do or is it finally time to get a new one?

It doesn't sound good, but then again from what I recall the Nexus 10 has had its share of issues since it was first released.

Unrelated, I just replaced the battery in my N7 2013! :toot: It was still working but started to swell up. :ohdear: It was causing the rear cover and the display to bulge. :stare: I'm still not sure how dangerous that is (the Note 7 fiasco still fresh in mind) but it always scares me when a Li-Ion pack does that. I've replaced multiple batteries in my Note 3 (that I still hang onto and use more or less as a spare tablet) because they swell awfully quickly and I'm not sure if that's because I used Qi wireless charging exclusively; then again, I have a Qi cradle for the N7 and the original battery lasted 4-5 years so that seems to have worked out. :shrug:

The N7 battery replacement was pretty straightforward; the most time-consuming parts were prying open the case and prying the original battery out of the tray. I used an iFixit toolkit I just bought for the project that has a lot of helpful parts I can use on a bunch of other electronics repairs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm interested in your experience with replacing the N7 2013 battery. Which one did you buy? I'm looking at Aliexpress since I'm not in a hurry since battery life can be worse but by no means too short. Now I just turn my N7 off when I know I'm not going to use it for a day unlike my always on policy before the battery started failing.

My N7 is still doing well, it takes a bit of time to update apps (because when I use it, It updates like 15-16 apps a time) but for multimedia/fórums and browsing is still fantastic and I don't want to get a new one since there is still good rom support for it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'm interested in your experience with replacing the N7 2013 battery. Which one did you buy? I'm looking at Aliexpress since I'm not in a hurry since battery life can be worse but by no means too short. Now I just turn my N7 off when I know I'm not going to use it for a day unlike my always on policy before the battery started failing.

My N7 is still doing well, it takes a bit of time to update apps (because when I use it, It updates like 15-16 apps a time) but for multimedia/fórums and browsing is still fantastic and I don't want to get a new one since there is still good rom support for it.

I bought this battery, which is basically a drop-in replacement for the OEM one, has great reviews, and the price is right. I agree that, aside from the N7 just slightly showing its age, it's still a functional tablet. I'll reiterate that my battery life was quite fine after the 4+ years or whatever, but I had to do the replacement because it was swelling up to the point that the back of the case was probably going to pop off soon! I followed this guide on YT and it shows just how straightforward the replacement process was.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers thanks! Going to check that when I get back to home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still forever going to pine for a modern Nexus 7 but that's never going to happen since Google abandoned tablets for Chromebook convertibles.

Give me a 1440 screen in the exact same form factor with a mid-level Snapdragon and Google os support for 3 years. Sigh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unknown posted:

Trip report - got a Fire HD8 tablet ($99cdn). Followed the above process for installing the play store (worked fine).

I activated the play store under the wrong google account. Went to delete the account, and low and behold, there's no way of removing the account (normally under settings) due to Amazon's customisation. Only way to blow it out was to factory reset the device. That was annoying.

Playa those guys go on sale for $50 all the time. It would be an absolutely amazing device if not for Amazon's customizations. They even managed to completely block root.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

jokes posted:

Playa those guys go on sale for $50 all the time. It would be an absolutely amazing device if not for Amazon's customizations. They even managed to completely block root.

Why does amazon hate google so much? Why are these things soo hard to convert into straight up android devices? All I wanna do is play a homebrew magic game on my tablet

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AkumaHokoru posted:

Why does amazon hate google so much? Why are these things soo hard to convert into straight up android devices? All I wanna do is play a homebrew magic game on my tablet

Because Amazon wants to make money and if you make it a pure android device you're less likely to click all the Amazon stuff.

(also, I assume Amazon loses money on the hardware)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bull3964 posted:

Give me a 1440 screen in the exact same form factor with a mid-level Snapdragon and Google os support for 3 years. Sigh.

Fuckin SAME. Apple keeps updating their Pads and Minis annually, why can't Android present a competitor in 2018 that's not also a laptop?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Fuckin SAME. Apple keeps updating their Pads and Minis annually, why can't Android present a competitor in 2018 that's not also a laptop?
Because people who want to buy iPads buy iPads. People who don't want to buy iPads refuse to spend more than $150, based on the tablet recommendation thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Because Google doesn't care about android tablets.

They care about chromebooks.