Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Is there a good, safe way to short Bitcoin? Or does it still involve going through shady bitcoin exchanges?

Even if there was a good way to short butts (and I'm not sure there is) you definitely shouldn't. Very much a 'the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent' situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
In what sense is the "value" of BTC even a real use of the term value?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neon Noodle posted:

In what sense is the "value" of BTC even a real use of the term value?

In the same sense as stock prices are "value".

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Feinne posted:

Even if there was a good way to short butts (and I'm not sure there is) you definitely shouldn't. Very much a 'the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent' situation.

But I guess the risk is limited to the money you put into it. No?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

You have unlimited downside in a short sale

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Not with CFDs, it isn't. Not sure if there is any put option (a limited upside/downside short) that you could do without touching bitcoins yourself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Time posted:

You have unlimited downside in a short sale

Yeah for those who haven't thought it through, just consider:

You want to short bitcoins. So essentially, you want someone to loan you their bitcoins, which you will immediately liquidate. Then, at some future date, you will return those bitcoins. If the price of a bitcoin has dropped by the time you return them, you have made money. If it has gone up, you lose money. But since the amount it can go down is, at most, to nothing whereas the amount it can go up is theoretically unbounded it's possible to lose WAY more money than you put in.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

fishmech posted:

In the same sense as stock prices are "value".

not even that, considering it's a weighted average of exchange prices, based on numbers with literally hundreds of dollars of spread.

also, "market cap" means something in stocks, it's pure marketing BS for cryptos.

sorry, I actually get money from proper business people as a Noted Expert(tm) on Blockchain(tm) now, my next book will be Bride of the 50 Foot Blockchain, which is also a title my wife has taken for herself, conclusively sick of my poo poo but putting up with it while the money rains from the skies

and in conclusion, BUY BITCOIN

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Could we get in on the ground floor with something a bit more subtle than buttcoin? Is there a Tulipcoin yet?

Sage Grimm posted:

Better yet, this is where Marissa Mayer (former Yahoo CEO) ended up! :v:

Good eye, I missed that the first time!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 2, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
sorry, accidental double post

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

divabot posted:

not even that, considering it's a weighted average of exchange prices, based on numbers with literally hundreds of dollars of spread.

also, "market cap" means something in stocks, it's pure marketing BS for cryptos.

sorry, I actually get money from proper business people as a Noted Expert(tm) on Blockchain(tm) now, my next book will be Bride of the 50 Foot Blockchain, which is also a title my wife has taken for herself, conclusively sick of my poo poo but putting up with it while the money rains from the skies

and in conclusion, BUY BITCOIN

lol please tell me you're on the Finance speaker circuit welfare train

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

Could we get in on the ground floor with something a bit more subtle than buttcoin? Is there a Tulipcoin yet?

Good eye, I missed that the first time!

There are thousands of coins out there and new ones being created every day that go up 7x-10x or more. Although a lot of them go bust.

So yeah you can get in on the ground floor. That's actually a better investment opportunity than bitcoin in percentage of growth.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Squalid posted:

lol please tell me you're on the Finance speaker circuit welfare train

not yet!!

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've been following the thread on how difficult it is to buy and sell bitcoins and I was reminded of this: https://bittimaatti.fi/?&lang=en. It's a Finnish company with bitcoin ATMs where you can buy and sell bitcoins immediately (or so they claim at least). There's also a long list of companies accepting bitcoins as a payment here including a couple of grocery stores, a law firm, a renovation company and a pub. The legal and tax situations are probably very different than in the States but still reading the thread this shouldn't be possible without shady meetings in a parking hall at all. I've no illusion about bitcoin being a viable currency etc but I'm just wondering how are these people managing to do this?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
One possible explanation is that those business are in a sense buying (or "bartering for") bitcoins with their goods/services, and probably want to hold onto them. Alternatively, I dunno what volume of payments those businesses receive in bitcoins but maybe it's low enough as to be reasonably easy to cash out and the extra hassle is worth it for the "hey guys, we accept bitcoins!" publicity.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It’s also possible the “ATMs” don’t actually work and the businesses tried once to accept Bitcoin, had a colossal failure when one person in a year tried to use it, and were just never taken off a list of “businesses accepting Bitcoin” because the kind of fraudsters who promote Bitcoin aren’t above inflating their figures.

You know, going on how Bitcoin ATMs and businesses accepting Bitcoin have worked out for the past 8 years.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nah, there exist 3rd party providers e.g., bitpay which essentially offer liquidity for a hefty transaction fee.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

nah, there exist 3rd party providers e.g., bitpay which essentially offer liquidity for a hefty transaction fee.

Checked one of the webstores on the list (a legit business selling flashlights) and they're accepting bitcoins through bitpay so this is probably how it works. The volumes must be low since it would make little sense to run a business on bitcoins considering you have to pay for taxes, salaries etc in euros. If you want to hold on to them it makes more sense. I remember there being a burger place close to 8 years ago where you could pay with bitcoins but it was owned by some true believer libertarian so likely something similar is going on.

I'd guess the ATMs work but they seem to have only 5000 euros in them and that's a bit more than half a bitcoin currently. They also seem to be run by some cryptocurrency investment startup looking for investors so it's most likely a marketing thing. Still it seems like I could relatively easily get 20 000+ euros in cash for my imaginary bitcoins if I'm willing to travel a bit but the idea I got from the thread was that this should be really difficult.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

NothingMatters posted:

There are thousands of coins out there and new ones being created every day that go up 7x-10x or more. Although a lot of them go bust.

So yeah you can get in on the ground floor. That's actually a better investment opportunity than bitcoin in percentage of growth.

that's a funny way of spelling "gamble"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah if one legitimately was looking to offload 20000 worth of bitcoin flying to finland and clearing out every one of those bitcoin ATMs might legitimately be your best bet (assuming that they actually work which, as mentioned, has not historically always been the case with bitcoin ATMs) if you're willing to look like you're participating in some bizarre finnish organized crime but the thing is only one person would be able to do that before the company was like "WOAH we didn't expect that to actually happen, we're shutting those ATMs down."

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Generally with Bitcoin to cash transactions if there aren't up-front limitations and it's not a scam the person offering it isn't ready for a bank run. It's telling that they have a daily purchase limit but not a daily sales limit; the only reason someone would presumably guard against running out of Bitcoin but not out of cash is because they don't believe anyone would want to get rid of all their Bitcoin at once.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

reignonyourparade posted:

the thing is only one person would be able to do that for about a week before the company was like "WOAH we didn't expect that to actually happen, we're shutting those ATMs down."
Fixed. You know it's true.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Havana Affair posted:

Still it seems like I could relatively easily get 20 000+ euros in cash for my imaginary bitcoins if I'm willing to travel a bit but the idea I got from the thread was that this should be really difficult.

having to travel some long distance to reach a gimmick atm which will probably fail to give you money counts as difficult, i would think

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

having to travel some long distance to reach a gimmick atm which will probably fail to give you money counts as difficult, i would think

I guess I failed to mention I live 20 minutes from the nearest one. I was just wondering how they make it sound so easy since the view I got from the thread is that it should be anything but. They've been running these things since 2014 so they must be getting some kind of use. I've no idea if they actually work or not and no way of testing it. Also not suggesting no one has thought of a bitcoin ATM before.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Weatherman posted:

that's a funny way of spelling "gamble"

All investment opportunities are gambles. That's the very nature of investing.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Havana Affair posted:

I guess I failed to mention I live 20 minutes from the nearest one. I was just wondering how they make it sound so easy since the view I got from the thread is that it should be anything but. They've been running these things since 2014 so they must be getting some kind of use. I've no idea if they actually work or not and no way of testing it. Also not suggesting no one has thought of a bitcoin ATM before.

Almost every single bitcoin ATM that exists in the wild is one way cash to bitcoin. They rarely go the other way, and when they do the limits are very low. So I guess if you really want to unload your bitcoin, you do it by setting up a bitcoin ATM that only goes cash to bitcoin.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah if one legitimately was looking to offload 20000 worth of bitcoin flying to finland and clearing out every one of those bitcoin ATMs might legitimately be your best bet (assuming that they actually work which, as mentioned, has not historically always been the case with bitcoin ATMs) if you're willing to look like you're participating in some bizarre finnish organized crime but the thing is only one person would be able to do that before the company was like "WOAH we didn't expect that to actually happen, we're shutting those ATMs down."

That's easy, just leave your machete at home and everyone will know you're not a Finn.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's easy, just leave your machete at home and everyone will know you're not a Finn.

Terrible advice definitely bring a machete to any situation where you might encounter someone connected to bitcoins and will potentially have twenty large on your person.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The strangest thing about the bitcoin bubble is that the utility of bitcoin shouldn't really depend on the price of bitcoins themselves. Using bitcoin as a universal anonymous meta-currency would work at any exchange rate.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

The strangest thing about the bitcoin bubble is that the utility of bitcoin shouldn't really depend on the price of bitcoins themselves. Using bitcoin as a universal anonymous meta-currency would work at any exchange rate.

The actual utility of bitcoin to 90% of bitcoin boosters is the chance to amass a precious hoard that will elevate them above the plebs who still use filthy fiat. If you know this, related mysteries like why people are adamant about the currency staying deflationary, why anyone would want the transfer limit to stay less than 1% of 1% of Visa's before running at the speed of concrete, and why ponzi schemes are more popular than regulations to stop them make a lot more sense.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Almost every single bitcoin ATM that exists in the wild is one way cash to bitcoin. They rarely go the other way, and when they do the limits are very low. So I guess if you really want to unload your bitcoin, you do it by setting up a bitcoin ATM that only goes cash to bitcoin.

Yeah, I looked up if the one I knew of in the neighborhood (it's gone now) and I was suprised to learn that it was a two-way ATM.

Here it is, with the 2 people that used the machine (and it's predecessor) in the years it existed:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

shrike82 posted:

Ah yes, the one that many think could be some sort of money laundering front because it’s entirely unclear where the actual dollars they’re immediately translating Bitcoin payments into actually come from.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

eschaton posted:

Ah yes, the one that many think could be some sort of money laundering front because it’s entirely unclear where the actual dollars they’re immediately translating Bitcoin payments into actually come from.

What's wrong with laundering money?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

They've been running these things since 2014 so they must be getting some kind of use.

Not really. It just means someone has been willing to host one for that long. Doesn’t even mean the server it transacts with is even still online, or that there’s any cash in it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The actual utility of bitcoin to 90% of bitcoin boosters is the chance to amass a precious hoard that will elevate them above the plebs who still use filthy fiat. If you know this, related mysteries like why people are adamant about the currency staying deflationary, why anyone would want the transfer limit to stay less than 1% of 1% of Visa's before running at the speed of concrete, and why ponzi schemes are more popular than regulations to stop them make a lot more sense.

yeah. all the people i know irl who are enthusiastic about bitcoin are also anti-government hyper capitalist get rich quick types who are typically trying to figure some scheme to get money (not make money) and losing their shirts in the process. the kind of guys who fashion themselves poker and sports betting kingpins but make all their cash selling weed to high schoolers

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

boner confessor posted:

yeah. all the people i know irl who are enthusiastic about bitcoin are also anti-government hyper capitalist get rich quick types who are typically trying to figure some scheme to get money (not make money) and losing their shirts in the process. the kind of guys who fashion themselves poker and sports betting kingpins but make all their cash selling weed to high schoolers

I'm into bitcoin and yeah I want to make it rich.

Only because I've accepted America is a cesspool where I will never ever be able to achieve anything because of the color of my skin unless I'm rich.

When you have a system around you that uses and abuses you at every opportunity you have to figure out how to abuse and use the system to survive. It's that simple. And If It means taking some white capitalist boujie's poo poo and leaving them destitute I don't give a gently caress.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
pretending to be black online in order to vacantly boost your ponzi scheme is an angle i haven't seen before so that's neat

personally as a vegan latina i dont see the point

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

far be it from me to deny you that pleasure, but might i suggest venture capitalism pitches as a faster and safer method of stealing rich assholes' shirts? there are lots of ways to lose the shirt you just stole off someone else in bitcoin after all

e: this obviously applies regardless of the fact you're actually a rereg of a white poster, there is no shame in being unemployed and poor dude

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2017

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
just loving migrate already holy poo poo. if you're a person of colour and you have the means, you need to leave america. it is not the best place in the world. it is far from the best place in the world. your life won't end if you leave, you'll find a better life elsewhere and an actual future for you and your family that doesn't involve bitcoin or any of its loving stupid ilk. america is on a one-way road to hell and things are only going to get worse for you, not better, especially if you blow your small amount of actual money that can buy things on an even smaller amount of false money that can't buy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

If you don't know how a short works you shouldn't consider shorting anything.