Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Not sure you of all people should be telling others how to post well in this thread, champ.

tax: I have this sticker from when my family visited Australia in the 80s. Based on more recent conversations, I wonder how many locals would agree with the sentiment:

A lot of Australians love magpies, me included. They’re vicious in mating season but outside of that they’re awesome.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Your standard for animal coolness is "they're only homicidal maniacs for part of the year"?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

Your standard for animal coolness is "they're only homicidal maniacs for part of the year"?

They do live in Australia you know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Besesoth posted:

tax: I have this sticker from when my family visited Australia in the 80s. Based on more recent conversations, I wonder how many locals would agree with the sentiment:

They're smart enough that they can recognise and remember individual humans so if you befriend them they won't attack you. The local magpies love me and come zooming in from all over the neighbourhood when I step out the door because I slip them the occasional bit of mince meat but they completely ignore my housemates.

Whichever magpie that's assigned to watch the area that includes my house that day does the "Oh poo poo, get over here!" song when it spots me so the other magpies within earshot know to head over.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Dec 2, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

They're not particularly effective homicidal maniacs at any time of the year though.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Dec 2, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And their comedic timing is pretty good too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They're goofy doofuses when you get to know them

"Hurrr look at me, I'm laundry!"
"For god's sake Frank, people are watching."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0e0oFaAmc4

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm never over how straight up bizarre Australian magpies sound, like musical rusted gates. I love it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Idgi. Seems like a normally oriented bird to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Note that they're technically not 'magpies' as most people know the European corvids, they're actually a species of butcherbird.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Inescapable Duck posted:

Note that they're technically not 'magpies' as most people know the European corvids, they're actually a species of butcherbird.

Well that makes perfect sense then, it's fuckin Australia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm whatever is happening here

Whoa, tie a whitish diaper 'round the ole Satan

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Well that makes perfect sense then, it's fuckin Australia.

North American butcherbirds, incidentally, are small chirping balls of fluff that are only dangerous to bugs and small lizards.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of old dutch paintings, this movie is really something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZeCX_zevJ0

Watching this was surreal and upsetting and i can't imagine watching the whole movie. I feel like I need to hug puppies and cry in the corner and thats just after the goddamn trailer.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://giant.gfycat.com/PoshGorgeousBlackfly.webm

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

kreyla posted:

Watching this was surreal and upsetting and i can't imagine watching the whole movie. I feel like I need to hug puppies and cry in the corner and thats just after the goddamn trailer.

It's a beautiful movie to watch and you should experience it at least once.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

`Nemesis posted:

Birdy cap battle

That was just wonderful - the fight, the victory dance and finally the doomed attempt at being satisfied with the obviously inferior green bottlecap.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

Aren't corvids pretty much the smartest birds in general?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Randaconda posted:

Well it contains many smart birds, but it's a very large group with a lot of variance.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They're smart enough that they can recognise and remember individual humans so if you befriend them they won't attack you. The local magpies love me and come zooming in from all over the neighbourhood when I step out the door because I slip them the occasional bit of mince meat but they completely ignore my housemates.

Whichever magpie that's assigned to watch the area that includes my house that day does the "Oh poo poo, get over here!" song when it spots me so the other magpies within earshot know to head over.

I've been doing this with the local crows for a few months. There is one I've begun to recognize on sight and we're gonna be BFFs.
The issue is that the pigeons also think they can get in on the action.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

That led to this video of a magpie playing with a puppy.

https://youtu.be/qoaEBb4IN4Q

I worried that the magpie was actually injured until it pursued the dog to play some more.

Inzombiac posted:

I've been doing this with the local crows for a few months. There is one I've begun to recognize on sight and we're gonna be BFFs.
The issue is that the pigeons also think they can get in on the action.

I had some grackles, which are not corvids iirc, that had a,"that fuckin' gray, classic tabby is out again!" Call for one of my strays. They did not talk the same when the other brown tabbed are around. But they really hated her for some reason. The other cats seemed to raid just as many nests as she did, but they didn't have a swirl on their side. I watched one swoop down and push her off the fence one time.

Bored has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Dec 2, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

JoelJoel posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Well it contains many smart birds, but it's a very large group with a lot of variance.

Hush little baby don't say a word momma's gonna buy you a murder bird.

Murder?

Yeah?

Bird?

Yeah?

Murder bird! it's gonna steal you a diamond ring

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randaconda posted:

No corvids are idiots who make tanks out of old pickup trucks and sheet metal they found in a parking lot

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No corvids are idiots who make tanks out of old pickup trucks and sheet metal they found in a parking lot

you better not be dissing tuk tuks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is there a bigger version of :thunk: ? Can someone post it?

tia

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

`Nemesis posted:

Is there a bigger version of :thunk: ? Can someone post it?

tia

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/1SbMqwK.jpg :nws:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Please do not post pictures of my significant other without her or her bulls permission

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Haha

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

kreyla posted:

You sound like a huge fuckin pussy mate oi

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

would

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Finally, someone understands whose the real problem!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

FreudianSlippers posted:

TSA has literally never caught anyone, every single real threat was stopped before or after it cleared security.
I was on a business trip a few months back, and the lady at the counter accidentally handed me the boarding pass for my boss. I didn't notice until I was already at the gate. The TSA guy looked at my ID and the boarding pass for like 30 seconds, furrowed his brow in concentration, and let me through. I'm now certain they just pretend to be scrutinizing things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If that’s the same guy I met, his legal name is Darth Vader.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, a lot of bad Star Trek opinions and not enough funny pictures in this thread.

Thank you for your contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

You don't see that kind of civic responsibility in rebel scum.