Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Farming survival with Octavia, armed with an Opticor and playing "Another One Bites the Dust" is the most fun I have had in a video game in a very long time.

Also: If you can't crouch in time to that song then no one can help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I remade Cowboys From Hell, now our warframes need to be able to headbang and throw up the horns. :rock:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok tweaked the settings and no more headaches.

Time to just work my way through the story!

I saw it was recommended to bind crouch to a mouse key. Is it possible to just bind bullet jump?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Trying to farm some common prime parts for ducats only to get rare or soon to be vaulted parts 3 mission out of 4. I guess its a nice problem to have.

m.hache posted:

Ok tweaked the settings and no more headaches.

Time to just work my way through the story!

I saw it was recommended to bind crouch to a mouse key. Is it possible to just bind bullet jump?

Not without a fancy keyboard/mouse or some macro software.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 2, 2017

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
shout out to the goons who joined me and Berke Negri on the magical experience of going 40 waves deep into Orokin Derelict Eurobeat Hell last night. Octavia is some wild poo poo.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really want to build rhino, but I'm having trouble with Jackal. Is there something more to the fight than "shoot his knee until he falls, then wail on him until he gets back up"?

Or should I be higher levelled? I'm at mastery 2, with the Excalibur and starting bow at level 20ish. Also some sword I bought by mistake at a similar rank. I also have the twitch frost giveaway items.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Is there a particular frame for melee style play?

I built Excal heading in this direction, but he turned out to be more of a long range death engine with his exalted blade and condition overload.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Montalvo posted:

I really want to build rhino, but I'm having trouble with Jackal. Is there something more to the fight than "shoot his knee until he falls, then wail on him until he gets back up"?

Or should I be higher levelled? I'm at mastery 2, with the Excalibur and starting bow at level 20ish. Also some sword I bought by mistake at a similar rank. I also have the twitch frost giveaway items.

I have been working on farming him for Rhino parts as well, and what I am doing is standing directly under him and wailing on his back legs with melee w/ blast damage (fire + cold mods I think?). If you stay nearer his back legs, you don't get knocked down when he stomps, and then when he falls, walk into the middle of his body and wail there. Rinse, repeat.

If you are on PS4, I'll gladly help you!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

RossCo posted:

I built Excal heading in this direction, but he turned out to be more of a long range death engine with his exalted blade and condition overload.

If you want to just get into the middle of dudes and kill poo poo with your sword then Valkyr is one of the best for this. She is extremely durable out of the box and has a melee-centric kit. The general build would be to focus on HP, Armor, Strength, and Duration. A good Augment to get is Eternal War, which lets you refresh her 2 as you kill (letting you tank efficiency a bit more than you otherwise would). Her 4 is an exalted weapon similar to Excalibur, although it is purely melee and makes you completely invulnerable and cc immune. The catch is that the energy drain scales up so you can't maintain it indefinitely. Additionally, it marks enemies around you and if any of them are still alive when you end the ability you take damage but this is almost entirely ignorable. What I would recommend is using her 4 as an emergency button or a heal (it gives you innate lifesteal while you are in it) and otherwise just cutting poo poo up with your sword/melee of choice. Her 3 is also notable in that it opens enemies to finisher attacks, useful for popping the occasional tough unit that would otherwise hold up your rampage (until you get a beefy enough melee that you just one shot everything regardless).

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

RossCo posted:

Not as such. There aren't really frames that focus much on being up close and melee-ing, you mostly just want a really tanky frame. Rhino, Inaros, Nidus and Wukong can all do pretty well. Saryn has a good melee build too. A weapon with (preferably unranked) Life Strike should allow most frames to focus on melee too.

e: ^ I completely forgot about Valkyr.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Thanks guys, useful stuff!

Why unranked life strike? To minimise the decrease of channeling efficiency?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

I have been working on farming him for Rhino parts as well, and what I am doing is standing directly under him and wailing on his back legs with melee w/ blast damage (fire + cold mods I think?). If you stay nearer his back legs, you don't get knocked down when he stomps, and then when he falls, walk into the middle of his body and wail there. Rinse, repeat.

If you are on PS4, I'll gladly help you!

Thanks, I am! My PSN name is CaptSpacebeard and I'm in the clan. I'll make a couple of attempts in a bit.

E: actually that strategy worked really well and I got all the parts, thanks! Now to get the parts to craft those parts...

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 2, 2017

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

RossCo posted:

You got it. Any decent melee weapon will restore all your hp pretty much instantly, but if you're attacking too fast with with a Berserker ramped weapon and maxed Life Strike then it's easy to accidentally lose all your energy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RossCo posted:

If you have 400 max hp and you're swinging your sword for 10,000 damage per hit, you don't really need more than 5% lifesteal because you're gonna full heal off of every hit anyways.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Personally I think Inaros is the best melee frame because he has an on demand finisher button that also stuns enemies. And he heals a percentage of his giant hp pool with each finisher. He's entirely hp so rage makes him always able to use moves and each of them pretty much just sets something up.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Whats the easiest uranus mission for finding one of these drat drones I need to scan to start Natah?

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

Whats the easiest uranus mission for finding one of these drat drones I need to scan to start Natah?

Just run exterminates. Every mission you do on Uranus increases the chance of the drones spawning.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RossCo posted:

Aside from all the previous recommendations, Ash is a great melee frame despite his 4 getting nerfed (it's still good). The hard part is farming it however, since the parts only drop from Manics. Ash has a stronger emphasis on assassination as opposed to diving into the fray and pairs really well with Fatal Teleport and Covert Lethality. You can teleport-stab entire waves of stuff to death! Furthermore his 4 ability scales with your combo meter which means Drifting Contact will help you get some mileage out of it.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
He's not ideal for it, but I'd toss Volt into the mix for melee frames. Between having a bunch of different stuns, his speed boost allows you to get in and whirl like a blender as it also boosts melee attack speed. Bit on the fragile side though.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
On the other hand, you can build Ash for max duration and just be invisible all the time. If enemies are unaware of you due to invisibility, you get a massive melee damage boost (x8, according to the wiki). Technically Loki is better for staying invisible for long amounts of time, but Ash is tough enough to not instantly die if you re-visible in the middle of a bunch of enemies, and the 20+ seconds Ash can give you is plenty.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

And Tyler Too! posted:

Aside from all the previous recommendations, Ash is a great melee frame despite his 4 getting nerfed (it's still good). The hard part is farming it however, since the parts only drop from Manics.

Farm relics > collect prime sets > sell prime sets for plat > buy Ash Prime parts with plat

He's relatively cheap for a vaulted prime.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Montalvo posted:

I had this problem trying to solo him last week at about that level, with that gear. He'd drop once, then become completely invulnerable for some reason. Join a squad for it and you'll completely pummel him though. :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
where's the best place to get plastids to actually build Rhino? Don't hate me but it took 4 runs for me to get all 3 parts so uh, something close to Mars would be best since I'm not past that yet. I've heard Phobos?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For you its sounds about right Phobos is the earliest part you can get Plastids

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Psion posted:

where's the best place to get plastids to actually build Rhino? Don't hate me but it took 4 runs for me to get all 3 parts so uh, something close to Mars would be best since I'm not past that yet. I've heard Phobos?

Ask a goon for a taxi to Helene. Farming plastids early on can be a huge pain in the rear end, and there is always someone else who needs to farm Helene for plastids or nanospores.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Quirkk posted:

Just run exterminates. Every mission you do on Uranus increases the chance of the drones spawning.

Note that those drones don't spawn until you're MR3 or higher. You can power/be carried through the starchart there before, but they won't show up before then.

Source: one of the actual loading tips they put in.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Flopstick posted:

I had this problem trying to solo him last week at about that level, with that gear. He'd drop once, then become completely invulnerable for some reason. Join a squad for it and you'll completely pummel him though. :)

I think you can't take down the same leg twice in a row or something. Not sure, it's been a long time since I've done Jackal and I'd usually just spam exalted blade at him.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I’m going to say this whenever a new player complains about being unable to finish something because of difficulty: STOP PLAYING SOLO
The game isn’t balanced for solo play, the pubs really aren’t that awful and even if one is making GBS threads up chat you can put em on ignore with like two clicks, and if you play solo you are actively gimping your rewards (unless they finally changed end of mission rewards scaling with squad size, but even if they did more enemies spawn the more players there are so you still kinda are)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I modded an Arca Plasmor for ~5k rad damage, gave it decent crit and status chance, and changed the energy color to dark green.

Now I have a thing that looks like a Chinese knockoff Nerf gun, and every time I pull the trigger it makes a wet shart sound and emits a green cloud, causing hordes of enemies to fly into the air and disintegrate. Any who survive usually go insane and turn on their fellow allies. I can't stop laughing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
How does crit work on the Plasmor? Does it have pellets? It seems like its crit is kind of low.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Really well? The projectile doesn't stop when it hits someone so you can see a lot of large numbers light up when you point it down a crowded hallway.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lightning Knight posted:

How does crit work on the Plasmor? Does it have pellets? It seems like its crit is kind of low.

I have no idea but it's classified as a shotgun, so it probably works however other shotguns do. I was just doing this for MR fodder and stumbled on something hilarious. It's not like I'm trying to min-max theory craft here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mrmcd posted:

I have no idea but it's classified as a shotgun, so it probably works however other shotguns do. I was just doing this for MR fodder and stumbled on something hilarious. It's not like I'm trying to min-max theory craft here.

I dunno, it was my understanding that it’s a slug.

I ask because the other crit shotgun has pellets and it calculates crit per individual pellet, so it has deceptively high crit chance for the stated value.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Fish Noise posted:

We can see some of their earlier concepts in the Tombs of the Sentient trailer: ignoring gravity while wallrunning, the bulletjump, wall latching, and zipline control all make their first appearances.
That Excal really wanted to be the Prince of Persia.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Arca Plasmor calculates as if it was a rifle since it's not firing pellets (same as the Astilla for instance) but it's a massive AoE with innate enemy punch-through and has enough crit that building for it is the generally preferred method. Blunderbuss and Primed Ravage get it to a respectable 42%/3.4x multiplier which is not too shabby when the thing you are multiplying is a 17000 damage Radiation wave that just hit 5 dudes. You can also go all in on crit with Laser Sight and Hunter Munitions if you want to get some pretty comical Slash procs.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Plasmid only has a single “pellet” (the wave) but it still works weirdly. Anyway crit is the best way to build it for basically that reason (status shotguns are good when you can get them to 100% pre-multishot because then every pellet procs, and plasmor only has 1-3 pellets which is rather underwhelming) and its base crit is still high enough that building for it outstrips straight damage fairly handily.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shotguns with pellets either need 100% status chance or else it is a useless stat because it is divided between pellets, making it pathetically low in practice even with 99.9% status chance on the stat page. plasmor does not have pellets, so the listed status chance is accurate. use as much or as little status as you want and plasmor will still be good. same with astilla.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Yapping Eevee posted:

That Excal really wanted to be the Prince of Persia.

I remember getting all excited for this, thinking all the crazy traversal I could do to get to the secret stash rooms. Then Steve announced on twitter he scrapped all that and just gonna give us bulletjump. I went wtf man. But seriously the game is much better and faster than the concept now. Once in a blue moon DE could come up with something on their own that improved the game a lot.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

RossCo posted:

Farming survival with Octavia, armed with an Opticor and playing "Another One Bites the Dust" is the most fun I have had in a video game in a very long time.

Also: If you can't crouch in time to that song then no one can help you.

It's more that if you have 300ms lag spikes it becomes completely unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Moatman posted:

I’m going to say this whenever a new player complains about being unable to finish something because of difficulty: STOP PLAYING SOLO
The game isn’t balanced for solo play, the pubs really aren’t that awful and even if one is making GBS threads up chat you can put em on ignore with like two clicks, and if you play solo you are actively gimping your rewards (unless they finally changed end of mission rewards scaling with squad size, but even if they did more enemies spawn the more players there are so you still kinda are)

Exception: Spy (and sometimes rescue)

In regards to pubs anyway, they can often just gently caress up your spy run. You and some pub might have your poo poo together, but some dumbass just wades through the alarms and doesn't get the data in time once the alarm goes off. This usually isn't a big deal for normal spy missions, but for Sortie it sucks since you can't fail on any of the data terminals.

But yeah, if you are having problems, and you don't want to roll with pubbies, feel free to ask goons for help i.e. "+3 OverActedBossName I need help beating this thing" Maybe not all goons will be there or available or whatever, but often times most goons do try to help, and then in most cases pubbies will be fine... except for Spy. Or when that god damned pubbie keeps shooting the cephalon simaris scanning target even I tell them to stop 5 GOD drat TIMES loving PUBBIES JESUS CHRIST.