Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that's not Phos anymore. Looks like we're finally seeing that Ship of Theseus stuff kick in.

Eh, I think that's pretty debatable. Being directly responsible for a death of her friend, and then having no other choice then to take care and protect a base that houses pretty much everyone she ever loved on her lonesome for an extended period of time, while still dealing with guilt and depression, would be enough to drastically alter anyone's personality, no Ship of Theseus theories needed. Still, the result is pretty much the same - the old Phos is gone and not coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i do think it's interesting to ponder how the loss of memories and new materials could affect the gems, but at the same time i don't wanna write off phos' arc with elements of the setting. even having read further along, i haven't stopped considering the phos we see as phos from the beginning.

i do feel like this bit of the story finally being animated and voiced really made phos' change seem starker, just like it really elevated the comedy/curiosity of the other gems.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure this isn't a surprise to anyone, but I guess the Lunarians may be functioning on some form of summoning. That's why they aren't afraid to 'die' because they're still out on the moon, and will just come right back in a couple of days.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aaah all the gems reacting to Phos' new arms is the best thing

Sensei occasionally just being a weird dork is also really good

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a surprise to anyone, but I guess the Lunarians may be functioning on some form of summoning. That's why they aren't afraid to 'die' because they're still out on the moon, and will just come right back in a couple of days.

It's possible that they have an entire civilization and the moon is basically just a gem mining outpost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sensei is actually a Lunarian.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You occasionally see flashes of the old phos shine through, which is heartening.

I just want my gem friends to be happy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen anything about Sensei suggest that he's something other than a gem person

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For a start, he looks completely different from the gem people, and he's not targeted by Lunarians. Whatever he is, it's weird.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Difference in appearance could simply be from age & content. Phos got bigger with the addition of the alloy so who knows what all Sensei is made of to be that much larger, and how long it took for them to form.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phobophilia posted:

For a start, he looks completely different from the gem people, and he's not targeted by Lunarians. Whatever he is, it's weird.

That assumes that their reverence for him is not covetous.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is no one going to mention the tears of gold? She doesn't even understand what they are. It's tragic.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

There Bias Two posted:

Is no one going to mention the tears of gold? She doesn't even understand what they are. It's tragic.

sensei understands though ;__;

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There Bias Two posted:

It's possible that they have an entire civilization and the moon is basically just a gem mining outpost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sensei is actually a Lunarian.

I'm pretty sure that Sensei is either the last or first new fully integrated entity. We heard from the snailfolk how the old humans were "flesh, bone, and soul" and that the flesh is now the snailfolk, the bones the gemfolk, and the soul the Lunarians. Either as a last survivor of the old humans, or possibly the first of a new revival, either way, I'd say Sensei is Flesh, Bone, and Soul all back in one package again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jng2058 posted:

I'm pretty sure that Sensei is either the last or first new fully integrated entity. We heard from the snailfolk how the old humans were "flesh, bone, and soul" and that the flesh is now the snailfolk, the bones the gemfolk, and the soul the Lunarians. Either as a last survivor of the old humans, or possibly the first of a new revival, either way, I'd say Sensei is Flesh, Bone, and Soul all back in one package again.

I can see that. Maybe Phos is heading that way herself as well. I can see the tears of gold as a hint of progression toward humanity.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not seeing where Sensei is "flesh" at all, he's still a rock -- hard enough to break Jade's hand just by being tapped, we've already seen him smash into two walls while sleeping and leave craters, etc.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My guess is that Sensei is granite or some similar rock.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show has a really great sense of shot composition & visual comedy. I loved how the shot of all the gems hiding from Phos was mirrored in the back half of the episode with Phos hiding from all the gems behind Sensei.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

He’s adamant. Which is still a bit mysterious, because it makes him the only mythical mineral.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
"Adamant" is the translation that a lot go for, because I believe that "Kongo" roughly translates out to "hardest" or something. Whatever Sensei's made of, it's much harder than everyone else. Keep in mind that Jade (given their vibrant green color is probably Jadeite and not Nephrite) is actually a ridiculously tough, very resistant-to-breakage material and their arm just fuckin snapped in half on Sensei. Jadeite's a metamorphic rock made up of microcrystals, which gives it a vaguely similar structure to Bort and makes it *incredibly* tough, even though it's only about a 7 on the hardness scale. The Mohs hardness scale is only for determining how resistant something is to scratching, remember.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

For anyone interested, the full OP music video was just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvupNifis2g

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Phos's transformation is really fascinating and equally depressing. She's no longer her old bubbly self because she's physically weighed down by her heavy alloy arms, mentally damaged by her lost memories, and spiritually held back by the weight of her guilt. As much as she tried to be the old Phos, she is mutating into a new kind of human. Heck, she's even got blood now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
glad to hear the whole song, that's kind of a dull video though

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ViggyNash posted:

As much as she tried to be the old Phos, she is mutating into a new kind of human. Heck, she's even got blood now.
Now all she needs is an invincible exoskeleton to hold her weak gem bits together. All hail the new Phos! :byodood:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love this show.

Just when I'm about overwhelmed with melancholy, Dia-"poke it with a stick"-mond shows up to add just a bit of levity to help.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

a kitten posted:

I love this show.

Just when I'm about overwhelmed with melancholy, Dia-"poke it with a stick"-mond shows up to add just a bit of levity to help.

Dia is the most :3: ever. I love how they hide behind Bort here.

:allears: (Who is the gem here with the blue hair and eyes, btw?)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/937452507462356993

Best part of the episode? Best part of the episode.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
She did the same T-1000 routine when she was mending Sensei's robe as well, stitching away with all four hands. I really enjoy how she's instinctively abandoning the confining human form. Maybe she'll just end up a rolling sphere like a gold BB8, or a gelatinous platinum cube.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Squidster posted:

She did the same T-1000 routine when she was mending Sensei's robe as well, stitching away with all four hands. I really enjoy how she's instinctively abandoning the confining human form. Maybe she'll just end up a rolling sphere like a gold BB8, or a gelatinous platinum cube.

Euclase: oh hey Phos

Phos, a writhing mass of metallic liquid spikes and tentacles holding gem shards: hey

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Dia is the most :3: ever. I love how they hide behind Bort here.

:allears: (Who is the gem here with the blue hair and eyes, btw?)

blue hair is Benitoite, partner with Neptunite (purple/black hair with twintails)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/uudqyf.webm

from http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27768250

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

have they said how many eps this is going to be

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

lets hang out posted:

have they said how many eps this is going to be

Twelve, I do believe.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Sensei is far more likely a carbide. Tungsten carbide is denser than boron carbide, and only the latter stands between it and diamond in hardness. Boron carbide is actually two-thirds the density of diamond, compared to tungsten carbide which is four and a half times denser than diamond. That Sensei casually integrates with walls suggests high density.

Sensei, having a bit more volume than an average human (closer to two) and being made entirely of tungsten carbide, would weigh a ton. A literal metric ton. Around 2000kg.

Boron carbide would make a neat gemfriend. Nearly the hardness of diamond, but far lighter. :science:

But all of this talk of hardness actually belies toughness. You can shatter a perfect diamond with a hammer, and the show has gotten this right. There are way too many variables to express toughness though. Yielding versus fracturing leads to crazy charts like this one

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 4, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

More amazing production notes. Love that work in progress stuff.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/937750716768235522

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I want the OST now.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't seen anything about Sensei suggest that he's something other than a gem person
He looks completely different to the rest of them, is about three times bigger than the rest of them, seems much less genderless (i.e he seems male), has magical explosive laser beam powers. I don't think the gems change physically with age, so if he is one we have to assume he was just born like this which seems super weird to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sensei's laser stuff is just him throwing tiny fragments of gems (pieces of himself? junk gathered from Chord Shore?) but all the rest of this stuff is addressed later in the story... just probably not in the anime

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

dogsicle posted:

Sensei nature stuff
Come on, at least put that under a manga spoiler or something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Squidster posted:

Come on, at least put that under a manga spoiler or something.

you can literally see the gems he throws fly at the screen in an earlier episode. it's a case where the anime has made it way more obvious than the manga did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dogsicle posted:

you can literally see the gems he throws fly at the screen in an earlier episode. it's a case where the anime has made it way more obvious than the manga did.

Seconding this. I haven't read the manga but the anime made it clear awhile ago that he throws tiny gem shards.

• Locked thread