Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Iai worked for me on crystals without loving with most of the guard enemies even in Way of the Strong so IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
The smaller greyish crystals around the level also give a massive Lightning Resist buff when you break them and there's three in the pit with the Nue so there's that as well. But generally until they patched the actual boss of the level to not be a giant joke of a fight the Nue was generally considered the Real Boss of the Demon of Mount Hiei.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah my go-to for that fucker was (after getting a crystal-delivered electricity resistance buff) slapping some elemental magic on my weapon that wasn't the one on my living weapon, and quick attacking the status effect on the Nue, and then turning on living weapon and smashing that motherfucker into the dirt with absolutely no concept of mercy while he had no ki thanks to confusion and basically fed me enough amrita to keep the beat-down going till he croaked.

I strongly dislike the Nue and every time it appears in the game I start frothing at the mouth and become the angriest samurai.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I somehow had enough time to heavy attack the crystal down before Nue aggro'd, at least on the base difficulty.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fuzz posted:

Really digging this level in the KINKI region with the Nue in the pit.

Isn't that one skippable?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Over There posted:

Just starting out and I got the "Nioh gear". How important is it to keep light armor instead of heavy in this game? I know it completely changes around between the different souls games.

I'd try to stay in the green weight category and don't bother with the blue. Get a heavy armor chest piece, because it makes the biggest difference out of all of them by far.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Magus42 posted:

Isn't that one skippable?

Schmuck bait.

You don't need to fight it at all unless you want a cheevo

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally got around to beating the game on normal difficulty, after buying it right at release. Good stuff, though the final boss sucked. Is there any point to keeping any non-Divine gear now? I've ended up keeping one of every armor set I found, and a ton of weapons too. Should I just say fuckit and sell them all?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

What else should I roll for, friendos??

And what should I inherit to it?

Eschatos posted:

Finally got around to beating the game on normal difficulty, after buying it right at release. Good stuff, though the final boss sucked. Is there any point to keeping any non-Divine gear now? I've ended up keeping one of every armor set I found, and a ton of weapons too. Should I just say fuckit and sell them all?

Disassemble them all.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 1, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Do revenants drop perfect clones of the player's equipment or is it scaled? Basically what I'm wondering is if all these 150-250 dorks who died in their Warrior of the West and Tatenashi haven't been plussing their gear or if the game is just a dick about it and scaling them down to +0 when they drop.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Shima Honnou posted:

Do revenants drop perfect clones of the player's equipment or is it scaled? Basically what I'm wondering is if all these 150-250 dorks who died in their Warrior of the West and Tatenashi haven't been plussing their gear or if the game is just a dick about it and scaling them down to +0 when they drop.

It doesn't get the +bonus BUT it does have all the same rolls they have.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

I believe the pluses get stripped down to +0 on revenant gear drops.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Kaldaris posted:

No, it has the same rolls it dropped with; reforges won't carry over.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
drat, so no feeding my +8 armor and sword for a while then.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kaldaris posted:

Yeah they fixed this once they realized everyone was just farming revs for gear (not that that wasn't awesome)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah they fixed this once they realized everyone was just farming revs for gear (not that that wasn't awesome)

drat.

Also, gently caress Flowing Shadow is a good-rear end move, I wish I'd known about and used it sooner. poo poo seems to just do crazy damage plus it moves you out of the way of counterattacks, hell yes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So the European Samurai met the African Samurai

I am legit happy they made a nod towards that particularly crazy bit of history.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They even give him a decent ending instead of being sold back to slavery like in real life. :unsmith:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

MMF Freeway posted:

Wow that's a bummer. :smith: Here I was perfectly happy to drop my near perfect odachi for people to farm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, am I supposed to be able to do the double boss missions in NG as soon as they appear? I managed to do one (Restless Spirits) but the rest are loving me up.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
They're doable but hard as gently caress the first time when you're not quite super strong yet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Marogareh posted:

They're doable but hard as gently caress the first time when you're not quite super strong yet.

Should I proceed to the DLC then? I want to finish acquiring all the Guardian Spirits, which I suppose aren't missable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah go ahead. Those dual boss things are the "proper" end game fights and got added post release.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Ok. so i bought the game for Christmas so i haven't played it yet. any suggestions for total newbie?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Always make sure you are geared up to your level. Don't get too attached to gear for the first NG cycle.

Blocking is 100% effective in all directions always.

Practice "ki pulsing" (hit stance button when bright lights swirl around you right after an attack) and make sure it becomes second nature. It preserves stamina and clears away pools of evil energy that make fighting monster enemies harder. You'll know you did it right because you'll get a brief afterglow and there's a sound effect.

Every weapon is good, just figure out what you like and build around that. Get familiar with the different stances, and get used to switching between them as needed.

Look through the skill trees, focus on your favored weapons but pick up good universal passives.

Even if you aren't planning on using ninjutsu or onmyo magic, they are still worth dipping into at least a little bit. The ninjutsu backstab and the onmyo Sloth and Weakness talismans are great for everybody.

Respecs are plentiful and cheap, no point is ever really wasted and there are no trap builds.

You unlock proper backstabs from the ninjutsu tree, but you always deal more damage from behind.

Elemental status effects are very good, and if you inflict two different ones at once you inflict a super strong third status effect. This will mulch pretty much every boss with little effort.

The early game is very hard, once you have a better understanding of things and good gear the game gets a lot breezier, so don't be discouraged. The first two bosses in particular are brutal roadblocks.

Don't be afraid to ask about something here, there are a lot of obtuse systems and this is a helpful chill thread.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SkeletonHero posted:

Always make sure you are geared up to your level. Don't get too attached to gear for the first NG cycle.

Blocking is 100% effective in all directions always.

Practice "ki pulsing" (hit stance button when bright lights swirl around you right after an attack) and make sure it becomes second nature. It preserves stamina and clears away pools of evil energy that make fighting monster enemies harder. You'll know you did it right because you'll get a brief afterglow and there's a sound effect.

Every weapon is good, just figure out what you like and build around that. Get familiar with the different stances, and get used to switching between them as needed.

Look through the skill trees, focus on your favored weapons but pick up good universal passives.

Even if you aren't planning on using ninjutsu or onmyo magic, they are still worth dipping into at least a little bit. The ninjutsu backstab and the onmyo Sloth and Weakness talismans are great for everybody.

Respecs are plentiful and cheap, no point is ever really wasted and there are no trap builds.

You unlock proper backstabs from the ninjutsu tree, but you always deal more damage from behind.

Elemental status effects are very good, and if you inflict two different ones at once you inflict a super strong third status effect. This will mulch pretty much every boss with little effort.

The early game is very hard, once you have a better understanding of things and good gear the game gets a lot breezier, so don't be discouraged. The first two bosses in particular are brutal roadblocks.

Don't be afraid to ask about something here, there are a lot of obtuse systems and this is a helpful chill thread.

thanks. i am not used to souls game. but i wanted to give nioh a shot because it looked interesting. i have played some bloodborne.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Any tips for farming elixirs, by the way? The first mission of the first DLC cost me like 1/4th of my reserves (down from 200 to 150)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You do not need to farm elixers ever because you cannot run out.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Early in the game I farmed them by flipping on the kodama blessing which basically let me top up my health every fight until I got better at the game, but now I'm at the point where I haven't used the elixir kodama in ages but I somehow managed to gather over 800 in stock just from playing.

I couldn't beat the boss of Tohoku 1 after beating the main game, so I went into Way of the Strong and twilight missions until I had some decent gear and a few more levels. It can be useful to go into a hard (300+) mission on Way of the Strong and just jam it full of cups so you get some drops, let yourself die a bunch, himorogi out and enjoy the spoils.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Snak posted:

Good point.

One more question (sorry!) since I just hit the endgame. What should be my crafting goals now? Just disassemble everything that isn't green and find a weapon to pump +numbers into? I supposed we're expected to combine green items among themselves because +2, +3, etc items don't drop that frequently?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Your stock resets to 3 whenever you move to a new region, which can really drain your supply because the game automatically refills you to the max 8 even if you may not need it. You can run your stored amount out just by playing the game, because it will give you the max every time when you may only need the 3 or so it gives you by default. Then when you hit a boss and get stuck, the rest of it gets burned through.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nevermind! Thanks Flowing Shade.

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 3, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I recommend getting oasis and rejuvenation talismans for out of battle healing. Divination is also really good for Kodama hunting and preventing ambushes the first time around.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Snak posted:

I mean, if you're fine with the bare minimum. I can hold ~11 elixirs at once, but if I run out, it isn't going to restore all 11 every time I die. So farming does have a use.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If 3 elixers isn't enough to beat a boss, the problem is not with your amount of elixers...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Snak posted:

If 3 elixers isn't enough to beat a boss, the problem is not with your amount of elixers...

This is the :smugbert:iest post on the forum, leave that kind of obnoxious poo poo in the Dark Souls thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I just feel like if I had the choice between spending time farming elixers and spending time learning the boss fight so I didn't need them, I would pick the latter every time.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
No even in the DS threads it's obnoxious. Stroke your genitals in private please.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you've got all 5 healing kodamas for the region enemies poo poo elixirs pretty hard, like I'm pretty sure I've had them drop stacks of 2 or 3 at a time and virtually every enemy drops one. You can stock up if it's becoming a problem staying healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I think the second Date Masamune fight (the one in the dojo) might be harder than the first one. Still, Flowing Shade carried me here as well. I really should learn to stance switch before dodging.