Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Dennis System posted:

You guys are young and the world hasn't beaten you down yet. When you get to be an old man like me, life in general, and video game in particular, won't hold the same allure that they do now.

Weird thing is that some games still scratch that itch. There's just way fewer of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Weird thing is that some games still scratch that itch. There's just way fewer of them.

it's because there is less ground to break. Basically only the snobbiest brats weren't completely blown away by the big 3D N64 releases, not because they were paragons of game design (Mario 64 might be, Ocarina of Time is good but aged poorly, Donkey Kong 64 was overdone and Banjo-Kazooie, which I adored, has really poor level design sprinkled throughout) but simply because they were big 3D spaces.

From personal experience, some VR gaming has this capacity to blow your mind all over again, but until gaming moves away from GRAFIX=BETTER and into totally new concepts were probably not gonna experience that as adult gamers again very often.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

it's because there is less ground to break. Basically only the snobbiest brats weren't completely blown away by the big 3D N64 releases, not because they were paragons of game design (Mario 64 might be, Ocarina of Time is good but aged poorly, Donkey Kong 64 was overdone and Banjo-Kazooie, which I adored, has really poor level design sprinkled throughout) but simply because they were big 3D spaces.

From personal experience, some VR gaming has this capacity to blow your mind all over again, but until gaming moves away from GRAFIX=BETTER and into totally new concepts were probably not gonna experience that as adult gamers again very often.

I don't know about that. New groundbreaking tech and gameplay is fine when it comes to reliving those "oh poo poo" moments, but a more traditional game with competent writing and fun mechanics still manages to captivate me, despite bringing nearly nothing new to the table.

Inquisition was a good example of this, Max payne 3 as well, despite the story being ruined by rockstar.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

You guys are young and the world hasn't beaten you down yet. When you get to be an old man like me, life in general, and video game in particular, won't hold the same allure that they do now.

Shut the gently caress up, you fat, ugly, stupid, pig loving retard.
This Dennis guy is alright.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

mind the walrus posted:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed was a flawed goddamn game-- after a point you need to learn how to essentially break the physics to allow yourself to get x4+ boosts without crashing to play in multiplayer or do the harder time trials--but I had more fun with it than any Mario Kart. Mario Kart kind-of sucks tbqh.

all I want is modnation racers on PC

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Olaf The Stout posted:

But a good museum is art in itself, it's called architecture. We don't make shrines to our art without that shrine being artfully constructed.

Yeah and that is level design.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
console gamers are holding back level design because you can't look up using a gamepad nowhere near as easily as you can on a mouse

this is why all maps have no verticality, when was the last time you had to aim up at a second floor in a console game?

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Happyimp posted:

Yeah and that is level design.

Edit. The building itself is art, but not the fact that it is a museum.

Edit 2. Phone posting. Didn't mean to write another post.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Happyimp posted:

Edit. The building itself is art, but not the fact that it is a museum.

Edit 2. Phone posting. Didn't mean to write another post.

so, gothic architecture in quake?

is the fact that there is enough room to rocket jump around and shoot people relevant?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

console gamers are holding back level design because you can't look up using a gamepad nowhere near as easily as you can on a mouse

this is why all maps have no verticality, when was the last time you had to aim up at a second floor in a console game?

Uhh, what?

I'm constantly shooting people at higher elevations than me in BF1, GTAV, and Shadow Warrior 2.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I don't know about that. New groundbreaking tech and gameplay is fine when it comes to reliving those "oh poo poo" moments, but a more traditional game with competent writing and fun mechanics still manages to captivate me, despite bringing nearly nothing new to the table.
The older I get the less I remember the last big game that really hit me with a "wow" factor because of graphics. Maybe it's because I went from 8-bit to now within my lifetime so it feels like a relative plateau, but I'm at the point where I like my games to lack all the trimmings. I care less and less about a game the more in spends on "wind-up" between things like story and tutorials--even in wholly story-driven games--because I want a game to engage me mechanically first. That's why I like Overwatch even though it's essentially walking down an exploding Toys R Us aisle, and find Metal Gear Solid V unplayable because of that stupid hospital opening.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a bone to pick posted:

Uhh, what?

I'm constantly shooting people at higher elevations than me in BF1, GTAV, and Shadow Warrior 2.

Yeah, I'm thinking of Titanfall 2 here and just scratching my head.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Magius1337est posted:

so, gothic architecture in quake?

is the fact that there is enough room to rocket jump around and shoot people relevant?

Are you asking if architecure is art? Well yeah, what else would it be. Designers are artist.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Magius1337est posted:

Funnily enough, I was playing Uncharted Lost Legacy and there was a lot of aiming up at other floors or jumping off a floor and down onto some unsuspecting dude. The later uncharted games were really good about having verticality in their combat arenas and letting you run and jump around like a madman.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

i dunno man i can beat 2017 doom and wolfenstein on the highest difficulty with a gamepad pretty easily, a lot of PC players can't do that because they aren't good enough even with a mouse. The difference is really overstated unless you are playing against eachother.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In the early 90s, I played through a rental copy of Phantasy Star 2 to the end, with no maps.

I'm replaying it now, and what the gently caress kind of turbo-nerd did I have to be to do that? Jesus loving christ the dungeons are torture, and so is the grind.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Caesar Saladin posted:

i dunno man i can beat 2017 doom and wolfenstein on the highest difficulty with a gamepad pretty easily, a lot of PC players can't do that because they aren't good enough even with a mouse. The difference is really overstated unless you are playing against eachother.

oh right I forgot about aim assist

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love :smug: aim assist posts because for as much as the master race whines about it, they generally can't hit the broad side of a barn with a controller.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Magius1337est posted:

oh right I forgot about aim assist

Doom isnt exactly a precision shooter dude. The monsters are huge and not difficult to hit.

You're coming across as an insufferable elitist who is just so much better than those other people who... play games on a different computer box than you!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FoolyCharged posted:

Doom isnt exactly a precision shooter dude. The monsters are huge and not difficult to hit.

You're coming across as an insufferable elitist who is just so much better than those other people who... play games on a different computer box than you!

The original doom/doom 2 had very generous aim assists, its kinda hilarious- they weren't difficult games to play at a basic level, and that was the appeal.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lmao at these pc gamers who don't experience the immersion of rumbling controllers

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

veni veni veni posted:

I love :smug: aim assist posts because for as much as the master race whines about it, they generally can't hit the broad side of a barn with a controller.

People who don't use a thing are bad at using that thing?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd fallen behind in this thread but it's good to see that it has dipped into PC MASTER RACE stuff again.

Seriously, though, consoles suck and controllers are vastly inferior for playing a first-person shooter than keyboard and mouse. Also, games that aren't first-person shooters are inferior games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I got Shovel Knight on Steam and I don't think I can stand to play with a keyboard, I'll have to plug in my old Xbox 360 controller. Downwell plays fine with a keyboard, probably because it has three buttons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

People who don't use a thing are bad at using that thing?

Yeah it's almost like they don't actually have the frame of reference to criticize it or something. Weird huh?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd fallen behind in this thread but it's good to see that it has dipped into PC MASTER RACE stuff again.

Seriously, though, consoles suck and controllers are vastly inferior for playing a first-person shooter than keyboard and mouse. Also, games that aren't first-person shooters are inferior games.

Counterpoint: Destiny 2 feels great to play with a controller

(Good luck not getting owned in PvP though)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's almost like they don't actually have the frame of reference to criticize it or something. Weird huh?

Uh, no. They have likely tried it, and have seen others use it who DON'T hate it, and noted the difference. Plenty of frame of reference to criticize it, even without using it.

What's your opinion of habitual meth users? What's your experience with meth?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It seems pretty inarguable to me that controlling camera movements with a mouse is better than with an analogue stick. A mouse combines big sweeping movements with fine accuracy, while with a stick you can pretty much just have one or the other. I've heard that combining stick aiming with gyro controllers on like the Switch can be good, but that's probably not as intuitive as a mouse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Uh, no. They have likely tried it, and have seen others use it who DON'T hate it, and noted the difference. Plenty of frame of reference to criticize it, even without using it.

What's your opinion of habitual meth users? What's your experience with meth?

Meth? great comparison, dumbo.

The point is that people that can't use something competently aren't in a position to tell people who use it well, that it doesn't take any skill to use.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Who cares about being optimal when playing against the fps, both are completely usable and that's fine, a controller has its advantages in comfort and thats what matters to most people when playing a video game single player mode

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Using a mouse is obviously more accurate, but imo accurate doesn't equal better if everyone is on the same playing field. To me a controller feels way better, and if everyone else is using a controller too, it's a non issue. Is clicking on something quicker than having to use a stick to aim at it? sure. but so what. it's the only reason console games don't support K&M.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

veni veni veni posted:

Meth? great comparison, dumbo.

The point is that people that can't use something competently aren't in a position to tell people who use it well, that it doesn't take any skill to use.

I knew it. As I was writing that, I knew that would be your response. I just knew you wouldn't understand what an analogy is.

And "it doesn't take any skill to use" isn't the usual complaint about controllers. That would be about auto-aim...which isn't something you need with a mouse...because mice are better for this kind of game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If everyone has auto aim why does auto aim matter?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you need skill to play with a controller even with auto aim then what's the problem with auto aim?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao at unironically defending autoaim

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People that whine about auto aim are always the most insufferable piles of poo poo.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the gauss cannon and long jump module in half life deathmatch are way overpowered, you literally just bunny hop and jump around the map one shotting everyone with the railgun and collect all the grenades and ammo faster than any other players can

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Away all Goats posted:

lmao at unironically defending autoaim

Lmao at making this post

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you leave pc gamers to their own devices they just end up bouncing all over the map like retarded rabbits so they are beyond saving anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
like the gluon gun is obviously supposed to be the bfg of half life, but you're better off just spamming the tau cannon since it fires and kills faster