Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
I'M CALLING IT
Eventually, Crobbert's knowledge of gaming will catch up to the early 21st century, and he'll discover tower defense games. Next thing you know, you'll be able to pledge for buildings with turrets that will protect your precious land from the evil Vangoons, even when you're away. The Crobberts loves turrets on everything.

I seem to recall that at one point he claimed that capitol ships captains would control other ships during massive battles using RTS style game mechanics - or was that some weird drunken dream I had?

edit- My posting sucks so bad, I don't know how to pay the taxxe. Can someone float me a good catte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Oh thank god! I’m glad he mentioned it’s like the power loader from that one little know movie Alien(s). Because having an original idea may very well kill Chris Roberts, and I don’t think anybody wants that to happen.

It’s the Ready Player One of spaceship “games”

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Saw posted:

edit- My posting sucks so bad, I don't know how to pay the taxxe. Can someone float me a good catte?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Saw posted:

Can someone float me a good catte?

How about a floating catte-fishe

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 3, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ponzi posted:

Do you think the amount of money CIG has spent is more or less than the amount shown by the funding tracker?

loving :lol: no. Not by a long shot. Wait, it's all going to come out soon enough. It always does.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

VictorianQueerLit posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

There are two things that you, Lladre, the micro-penis guy (e: apparently he realizes them, so it's all cool), balls-dude, and the rest of the anti-Derek brigade do not seem to be able to comprehend:

I) Most of us know most of that. We just don't care because Derek is a net-positive in the laugh-production category.

II) We are posting in a laid-back, comedy forum.

The only thing wrong with Derek Shart is his sub-human preferences on pizza toppings.

:same:

----------------

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Saw posted:

I'M CALLING IT
Eventually, Crobbert's knowledge of gaming will catch up to the early 21st century, and he'll discover tower defense games. Next thing you know, you'll be able to pledge for buildings with turrets that will protect your precious land from the evil Vangoons, even when you're away. The Crobberts loves turrets on everything.

I seem to recall that at one point he claimed that capitol ships captains would control other ships during massive battles using RTS style game mechanics - or was that some weird drunken dream I had?

Crobberts has turrets syndrome

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

and why isn't there a tutorial? is there a manual or something I should read?

Commands // 6 pages
Manual // 98 pages
Tutorial // 97 pages

All included with, and accessible (via hot keys) from within, the game.

Good luck. I hope you don't have the attention span of a flea on steroids.

----------------

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

One thing you have to give DS is that he's pretty much one of the only game devs on the planet who's able to give 1:1 customer support.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

One thing you have to give DS is that he's pretty much one of the only game devs on the planet who's able to give 1:1 customer support.

:drat:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm old school, that's why. Been doing that for years, mate.

Meanwhile... :laffo:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/345580/discussions/0/1488861734124562888/?ctp=3#c1488866813766461409

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 3, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EmesiS posted:

I sometimes see it as a sacrament of sorts. It can't be without a personal cost to him, and our gain is ultimately greater than the burden of enduring it. I see him not entirely different from the Keanu character from A Scanner Darkly.

I am curious though, regarding SD, does Ming approve?

A Scanner Darkly is well up there in my top of 10 sci-fi novels. I thought the Richard Linklater film was just OK. Anyone who enjoyed Scanner Darkly should read Vurt by Jeff Noon right this instant.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The one thing that keeps bugging away in the back of my brain regarding Derek's forecast for CIG, is a comment written by Old School Commander somewhere, probably on r/ds.

He said that anyone who remembers Derek from the Usenet days knows that he'll have something up his sleeve, some piece of information, knowledge of something, a thing that he will hold onto for literal years in order to whip it forth when fate presents an opportunity for him to win at arguing on the internet.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

The game is on fire, and there are no devs at their desks
And the pipelines are all muddied with a thousand lonely dreams
And a Smart wind blows

The development is corrupt
And we've read so many posts
With the Spectrum open and the forums closed

We're trapped in the thoughts of this horrible machine
And the machine is dreaming to death

The sun doesn't exist
And the ship commercials are all leering
And the ATVs are all dead at the time of their posting

It went like this:
The market tumbled in on itself
Autists clutching .JPEGs
Picked through the sub-reddit
And pulled out their Bitcoins

The models were beautiful on fire
All twisted limbs stretching outwards
Everything washed in a thin gray haze

I said, "Pledge now, exclusive offer -
New cash only"

You grabbed my money
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of Smart

I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

thatguy posted:

The game is on fire, and there are no devs at their desks
And the pipelines are all muddied with a thousand lonely dreams
And a Smart wind blows

The development is corrupt
And we've read so many posts
With the Spectrum open and the forums closed

We're trapped in the thoughts of this horrible machine
And the machine is dreaming to death

The sun doesn't exist
And the ship commercials are all leering
And the ATVs are all dead at the time of their posting

It went like this:
The market tumbled in on itself
Autists clutching .JPEGs
Picked through the sub-reddit
And pulled out their Bitcoins

The models were beautiful on fire
All twisted limbs stretching outwards
Everything washed in a thin gray haze

I said, "Pledge now, exclusive offer -
New cash only"

You grabbed my money
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of Smart

I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

Superb

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9thvHDskYvA

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pizza report. As additional toppings on a meat-lover pizza, pineapple > anchovies. This is official an incontrovertible.

Also, Terminator 2 rocks and Tequila reposado (pretty much any brand) rocks even harder.

Thank you, god bless, and see you (waves hands) around the verse!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

A Scanner Darkly is well up there in my top of 10 sci-fi novels. I thought the Richard Linklater film was just OK. Anyone who enjoyed Scanner Darkly should read Vurt by Jeff Noon right this instant.

I am sure to be delighted by Vurt, many thanks for that.

I had clumsily worded my question, and given the results it was a great mistake, but I was wondering about your thoughts on the SurfaceDetail gimmick, and whether you approved personally.

No offense to the real man of many aliases (and testes). I do not mean to insult your effort and reduce it to a gimmick, the word contextually is meant as a sufficient description without being fully comprehensive.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Now I want tequila, but my stomach does not :sigh:

Seconding the Vurt love.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

Now I want tequila, but my stomach does not :sigh:

Seconding the Vurt love.

Mix it with some Pepto

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm drinking tequila and coke right now and boy howdy gosh dangit i wish I had remembered limes and different mixers, AMA Except Why Don't You Have Limes.

AMAEWDYHL

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Foo Diddley posted:

Mix it with some Pepto

Where does all this "tequila will wreck you" stuff come from? Just drink something that is not Jose Cuervo gold or such poo poo and you'll be fine.

When in doubt just drink reposado, as it is the tastiest, not expensive, and it is regulated (unlike gold, silver, and white).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Should basically always have limes.

I wish I had limes right now, lime and a coke is super refreshing no alcohol required.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I.. want to know what’s happening but the voices are not recognizable to me. Is there a transcript? :smith:

The voices seem like they are just for ambience. Sounds like dramatic reading of literature somebody better read than me will have to identify

The important thing is Answer the Call Christmas Day.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm drinking tequila and coke right now and boy howdy gosh dangit i wish I had remembered limes and different mixers, AMA Except Why Don't You Have Limes.

AMAEWDYHL

Tequila and coke sounds gross. Is it gross?

Do you think lime would make it taste better?
Do you have lemons?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EmesiS posted:

I am sure to be delighted by Vurt, many thanks for that.

I had clumsily worded my question, and given the results it was a great mistake, but I was wondering about your thoughts on the SurfaceDetail gimmick, and whether you approved personally.

No offense to the real man of many aliases (and testes). I do not mean to insult your effort and reduce it to a gimmick, the word contextually is meant as a sufficient description without being fully comprehensive.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with SD that backers, particularly whales, aren't paying for a game-
there's something else going on and it has more in common with a club or a cult than a crowdfunded game project.

I'm deadly serious when I use the word 'cult', I don't think that's a joke any more.

So arguing and posting from that perspective as a gimmick is a Good Thing imo. It's somewhat annoying but you can't put that perspective across without being annoying

The thing you'll notice about cults is that people in cults don't know they're in one. So they struggle to justify their actions and in fact I've not seen any backer justify or attempt to rationalise spending serious money on SC - but I have read many lucid posts by refunders.

All backers do almost exclusively, is repeat programmed responses to criticism and red flag waving. I've not read a single serious post by any backer describing why they continue to support CIG and why others should do the same. If anyone finds one I'd love to see it.

SD is getting inside their heads a bit, far be it for me to approve or disapprove of anyone's posting, I love the madness of this thread - but since you ask yeah I approve because gently caress it

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

AMAEWDYHL

wah dip did amaewdyhl woh

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

Should basically always have limes.

I wish I had limes right now, lime and a coke is super refreshing no alcohol required.

Get some limoncello and stick it in your freezer for those lime-less times.

Golli posted:

Tequila and coke is perfectly fine with tequila blanco.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Solarin posted:

The voices seem like they are just for ambience. Sounds like dramatic reading of literature somebody better read than me will have to identify

The important thing is Answer the Call Christmas Day.

Old Man and the Sea.

The quotes on screen are from the section about persevering.

Movie clip starring Spencer Tracey, also Old Man and the Sea.

The Hel Met Bootcha chooses - don't recognize though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Where does all this "tequila will wreck you" stuff come from? Just drink something that is not Jose Cuervo gold or such poo poo and you'll be fine.

When in doubt just drink reposado, as it is the tastiest, not expensive, and it is regulated (unlike gold, silver, and white).

True story, drinking tequila is the only time I've ever poo poo my pants since like... you know, whatever age you normally grow out of that. Tequila won't wreck you, but enough tequila (or any booze really) will. I think part of it is I usually only drink tequila in 'Jar-garita' form, so I don't pay attention to how much I've had.

Golli posted:

Do you think lime would make it taste better?
Do you have lemons?

It is gross, yes. Lime would probably make it taste better. I have some Bud Light Lime, maybe I'll pour some of that in there.

No, I used all my lemons for dinner.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

It is gross, yes. Lime would probably make it taste better. I have some Bud Light Lime, maybe I'll pour some of that in there.

No, I used all my lemons for dinner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
A thought experiment:

1. Imagine that in 2012, Chris Roberts shopped the idea of Squadron 42/Star Citizen around to publishers, but this time one of them said "YES." No Kickstarter was necessary!

2. Somehow, everything fell into place the same way: they ramp up to 300+ employees/contractors, they run through a $100m+ budget, Chris gets to play with Hollywood actors and come up with ideas to his heart's content, but now it's all on the publisher's dime.

3. At the end of 2017, the publisher finally checks in with Chris to see how the games are shaping up. He's got Star Citizen 3.0 in its current shape, and let's assume that Squadron 42 is in the shape he reported it was during Gamescom (i.e., no vertical slice yet, missions are mostly grayboxed right now, enemy AI is not programmed, there's still a lot of work with the mocap left to do).

4. The publisher closes their checkbook and says, "We are not spending one more penny on this. Goodbye."

5. Now Chris turns to Kickstarter for help. Let's say he's got all those hype trailers to show, he can give access to 3.0 to streamers to show it off to potential backers, he can use the names/likenesses of the Squadron 42 cast in his pitch, and he's promising that if they can get enough money to keep those international studios running for a few more years, he's definitely going to be adding 99 more star systems and mining and farming and repairing and science and land ownership and face over IP and VR and modding and no subscriptions and all the ships that haven't been finished yet and a better flight model and some gameplay loops and all of the other things they're currently promising to do but haven't gotten into the game yet. In other words, he can use the same sales pitch he's using right now: here's what we've done so far, with your support we can get all of the rest of this stuff done Very Soon.

In those circumstances, who looks at that 2017 pitch to "Save the Best drat Game Big Publishing Killed" and thinks, yes, these people are definitely going to be able to make the game they're promising? If none of the backers had bought in yet and sworn their "loyalty as long as it dies" (sic), would they still throw a hundred and seventy million bucks at this project? Or would they shake their heads and wonder how the gently caress a publisher let Chris blow through that much money and that much time without having something better to show for it? Do they ask tougher questions and demand better answers?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

The one thing that keeps bugging away in the back of my brain regarding Derek's forecast for CIG, is a comment written by Old School Commander somewhere, probably on r/ds.

He said that anyone who remembers Derek from the Usenet days knows that he'll have something up his sleeve, some piece of information, knowledge of something, a thing that he will hold onto for literal years in order to whip it forth when fate presents an opportunity for him to win at arguing on the internet.

He's right. I have always been that way. And I've done it many times over the years. The one that paid off the most, was bankrupting two morons who were absolutely convinced that my Ph.D was from a diploma mill. Despite the fact that I had warned them for years that if they ever forced my hand, that they would find out the hard way. Then when we got sued over Alganon, they tried to play the card to attack me in filings and impugn my character in order to gain an advantage. At the point, I had no choice. I sued them both. Immediately, and while the other case was still in discovery. They didn't even make it past the declaration filing before folding. Right there, it was all over; including the bullshit Alganon lawsuits.

If anyone ever wonders why, with all his attacks, Ortwin and Chris never dared to go there, now you know.

ps: When I say that I'm going to see Chris Roberts go to jail if he doesn't deliver this game, trust me, I will do it.

----------------

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I have some Bud Light Lime, maybe I'll pour some of that in there.
:chloe:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I was thinking the same thing but I'm the one that just ate a anchovies and pineapple pizza.

Next time he'll have a Bud Light & Clamato Chelada

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
https://instaud.io/1uHy

MAN 1: Everyone up? Marcus test your tilt, system says its ticking.

MARCUS: Moving now, sir, seems fine to me.

MAN 1: Good. Alright people, eyes open, mouths shut.

[Long pause]

MAN 2: Any idea what's happening, sir?

MAN 1: You covering your sector and staying off comms -- or at least that's what should be happening.

[Pause]

MAN 3: My money's still on a drill.

MAN 1: What did I just say?

MAN 3: Sorry, sir!

[Pause. Someone whistling?]

MAN 2: About time.

MAN 1: Sharup. (Shut up?)

GARY OLDMAN: Attention Second Fleet. This is Admiral Bishop. For six months now, we have faced an illusive enemy determined to see the Empire burn... and every human with it. There have been battles. There have been losses. Each and every one of you has proven yourself time and again but today I must ask for more. [Pause] Today, we fight one last battle. [pause] Advance recon indicates the entire Vanduul fleet has just entered the system. This means [disgruntled sigh] a Kingship is headed our way. [pause] Now some of you will not survive today. [pause] But there will be no time for sorrow. We will have to grieve for them later. Because two million souls in this system hang in the balance. There should be no illusions about what we are up against! In the history of the UEE, a Kingship has entered human space a handful of times. Battle of Orion. Siege of Tyler. The Fall of Caliban. But we are Second Fleet! History will remember us differently. We will not have to worry about it being kind because today we will define ourselves through our actions. [pause] We will not lose this system! We will not fall back! We will win! Because we have to. We fight today! So in forty years from now, when you are surrounded by everyone and everything you hold dear, and they ask what did you do [someone coughs in the background] in the Battle of Vega? You can look 'em in the eye and say: [pause] I held the line. Men and women of the Second Fleet, I am proud to stand with you today. Good luck! Bishop out.

[extremely loud sniffling/breathing?]

SOMEONE, MAYBE CHRIS ROBERTS: Cutting!

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

He's right. I have always been that way. And I've done it many times over the years. The one that paid off the most, was bankrupting two morons who were absolutely convinced that my Ph.D was from a diploma mill. Despite the fact that I had warned them for years that if they ever forced my hand, that they would find out the hard way. Then when we got sued over Alganon, they tried to play the card to attack me in filings and impugn my character in order to gain an advantage. At the point, I had no choice. I sued them both. Immediately, and while the other case was still in discovery. They didn't even make it past the declaration filing before folding. Right there, it was all over; including the bullshit Alganon lawsuits.

If anyone ever wonders why, with all his attacks, Ortwin and Chris never dared to go there, now you know.

ps: When I say that I'm going to see Chris Roberts go to jail if he doesn't deliver this game, trust me, I will do it.

:ughh:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

I was thinking the same thing but I'm the one that just ate a anchovies and pineapple pizza.

Next time he'll have a Bud Light & Clamato Chelada

Don't you judge me, that's between me and God

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Trilobite posted:

A thought experiment:

1. Imagine that in 1999, Chris Roberts shopped the idea of Freelancer around to publishers, but this time one of them said "YES." No Kickstarter was necessary!

2. Somehow, everything fell into place the same way: they ramp up to 300+ employees/contractors, they run through a $100m+ budget, Chris gets to play with Hollywood actors and come up with ideas to his heart's content, but now it's all on the publisher's dime.

3. At the end of 2001, the publisher finally checks in with Chris to see how the games are shaping up. He's got Freelancer 3.0 in its current shape, and let's assume that the single player campaign is in the shape he reported it was during Gamescom (i.e., no vertical slice yet, missions are mostly grayboxed right now, enemy AI is not programmed, there's still a lot of work with the mocap left to do).

4. The publisher closes their checkbook and says, "We are not spending one more penny on this. Goodbye."

5. Now Chris turns to Kickstarter for help. Let's say he's got all those hype trailers to show, he can give access to 3.0 to streamers to show it off to potential backers, he can use the names/likenesses of the Squadron 42 cast in his pitch, and he's promising that if they can get enough money to keep those international studios running for a few more years, he's definitely going to be adding 99 more star systems and mining and farming and repairing and science and land ownership and face over IP and VR and modding and no subscriptions and all the ships that haven't been finished yet and a better flight model and some gameplay loops and all of the other things they're currently promising to do but haven't gotten into the game yet. In other words, he can use the same sales pitch he's using right now: here's what we've done so far, with your support we can get all of the rest of this stuff done Very Soon.

In those circumstances, who looks at that 2012 pitch to "Save the Best drat Game Big Publishing Killed" and thinks, yes, these people are definitely going to be able to make the game they're promising? If none of the backers had bought in yet and sworn their "loyalty as long as it dies" (sic), would they still throw a hundred and seventy million bucks at this project? Or would they shake their heads and wonder how the gently caress a publisher let Chris blow through that much money and that much time without having something better to show for it? Do they ask tougher questions and demand better answers?

Low effort adjusted names and dates roughly well enough to reflect what you basically said but how it played out to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

In those circumstances, who looks at that 2017 pitch to "Save the Best drat Game Big Publishing Killed" and thinks, yes, these people are definitely going to be able to make the game they're promising? If none of the backers had bought in yet and sworn their "loyalty as long as it dies" (sic), would they still throw a hundred and seventy million bucks at this project? Or would they shake their heads and wonder how the gently caress a publisher let Chris blow through that much money and that much time without having something better to show for it? Do they ask tougher questions and demand better answers?

No, because cons need time to develop. You can't just cold-con a bunch of losers for millions (unless the con involves them getting a shitload of actual money back).