Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cradle of Civilization is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
jon schafer's at the lols

quote:

You may have heard, you may not have, but recently I've parted ways from Paradox. In the end it really was creative and cultural differences...

quote:

So what's happened with AtG?

I got burned out, to be honest... I made a few attempts at getting back into things but it became truly overwhelming at a certain point, so I stepped away. I'm not proud of that, and I apologise to all of the people I've let down. Making a full-scale 4X game mostly by yourself is an insane undertaking, and not one I would recommend.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I hope he's blacklisted forever for killing Civilization

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

all the design changes he made in civ v were for the best, the ai is what let it down

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What did he do

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

What did he do

one unit per tile, mostly.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

1 unit per tile saved the Civilization series from mediocrity. Civ 6 is epic win.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

1 unit per tile saved the Civilization series from mediocrity. Civ 6 is epic win.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

kaiserreich is ftw

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

glad they’ve got their priorities straight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

kaiserreich is ftw

Lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

:stonk: That sounds like horrible news for the rest of Europe, regardless of who wins! (Hopefully you do/did, though)

Also, has anyone played the latest EU4 expansion yet? I've been thinking of trying a Persia or Egypt>Arabia game, although I'm not sure what country I should start with. (The fact that I probably haven't played EU4 in a year is probably not helping much either, in terms of remembering all the nations in the region, and which ones can form what.)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i did win - and then i also got a succession war over the commonwealth. my experience with the dynasty game has always been weird - when i play austria and try and get my hand in every pie it never works, but when i play someone like russia and never even take a glance at western europe i somehow end up leading two PUs with continental powers

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

:stonk: That sounds like horrible news for the rest of Europe, regardless of who wins! (Hopefully you do/did, though)

Also, has anyone played the latest EU4 expansion yet? I've been thinking of trying a Persia or Egypt>Arabia game, although I'm not sure what country I should start with. (The fact that I probably haven't played EU4 in a year is probably not helping much either, in terms of remembering all the nations in the region, and which ones can form what.)

there are a lot of new countries in persia + arabia with the expansion. there's an achievement for forming persia with ardabil (new opm) and it's fun, their ideas are great and they have a new government type. also mamluks have an overpowered unique govt type too now. not sure if you can get mamluk government as any other country but it would be cool with a smaller one.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

only the mamluks can have the mamluk government type, but you can become the mamluks if they no longer exist and you’re iqta and own cairo

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

play qq if you want to persia

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Is Jade Dragon worth getting?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
new dev diaries look really exciting for Stellaris

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Agree

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wiz is gonna do it again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HoI4 looks so loving epic too. Assigning traits to generals and decisions and all the new poo poo is really worth of being an expansion compared to the wet fart that were the two previous ones.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

hubris.height posted:

new dev diaries look really exciting for Stellaris

What’s in them?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

What’s in them?

they're reworking how borders expand, adding a claim system and changing the wargoals system, getting rid of non-hyperlane FTL methods, and making some pretty big changes to the way navies and admirals work to try to fix the problem with doomstacking being the single most important tactic in warfare

most of the changes look good but im a little skeptical about the combat changes. they are also making it so your navy won't be wiped out in one single battle, which is a good thing on one hand, but on the other means that wars might drag on for much longer now. unless they also rework how armies and invasions work it might not be worth it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

HoI4 looks so loving epic too. Assigning traits to generals and decisions and all the new poo poo is really worth of being an expansion compared to the wet fart that were the two previous ones.

i hope hoi4 fixes diplomacy being extremely weak soon because with that and this new expansion it is starting to shape up as really plyable

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

extremely steampunk posted:

they're reworking how borders expand, adding a claim system and changing the wargoals system, getting rid of non-hyperlane FTL methods, and making some pretty big changes to the way navies and admirals work to try to fix the problem with doomstacking being the single most important tactic in warfare

Theyre also making defensive stations actually tough to crack too, this is shaping up to be the Art of War for stellaris in terms of major changes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i did a thing

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Nagaur plz

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

managed to trap the french 3 star general army and now 40% of their fighting force is in an inescapable prison until i decide to start a second war with france

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

managed to trap the french 3 star general army and now 40% of their fighting force is in an inescapable prison until i decide to start a second war with france

haha, well done! :D Love it when that happens to a large foe - especially when other countries then use the opportunity to pummel the other side of their empire, with complete impunity.

Also, on the topic of CK2, I'm kinda tempted to start a new game, with the M&M expansion, etc. Do any of you have suggestions on what (preferably Christian, so I can hopefully get the antichrist event after nearly 500hrs playtime without...) country/ruler to start as?
As well as what secret society to use I suppose, since as I recall some of you mentioned that most of the societies were terrible/under-powered. I'm hoping to be able to utilize the item/heirloom features as well, since that seemed kinda cool, to have a sword or something that you pass down through the generations. (Kinda thinking of perhaps going as a norse ruler settling in England and then converting, maybe? That way I might be able to get an item or two through looting, since I remember you can get a 'magic axe' through that)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nestorian steppe tribe

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

This is some next level poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh wow they are still making Darkest Hour patches

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im glad

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

groogy is moving to eu4 next year

having ruined ck2, he has acquired a new target

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BBJoey posted:

are they retiring ck2 or do they have a e-team to take over for the d-team

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I don't say this often, but...oh no :smith:

Not a fan of some of the changes in CK2, from the India expansion onwards. I mean, Way of Life, etc. was quite good I thought (although perhaps not particularly substantial, I still feel it added some nice flavor) but aside from that, the recent ones haven't been great. Hopefully he doesn't have quite as much control over the direction development takes, once he's put on the EU4 team.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

BBJoey posted:

gently caress

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training