Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just bought into the hype and upgraded from an Air1 to a 10.5” Pro.

Uhhhh, I can’t really tell a difference. Screen looks the same, just slightly bigger. Multitasking is cool, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hope they make the next iPads like the iPhone X, all the gestures on the iPad suck now in comparison :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

I just bought into the hype and upgraded from an Air1 to a 10.5” Pro.

Uhhhh, I can’t really tell a difference. Screen looks the same, just slightly bigger. Multitasking is cool, I guess.
Was your Air1 running like absolute dogshit? Mine is, even after a restore, so I've been very much considering getting a Pro.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

Was your Air1 running like absolute dogshit? Mine is, even after a restore, so I've been very much considering getting a Pro.

Nah, I was still generally happy with the Air. I only upgraded because the wife’s Mini1 cracked and the cheap screen replacement was getting phantom touches.

I’m just a little disappointed that I’m not totally blown away by the 120hz True Tone whatever.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eddiewalker posted:

Nah, I was still generally happy with the Air. I only upgraded because the wife’s Mini1 cracked and the cheap screen replacement was getting phantom touches.

I’m just a little disappointed that I’m not totally blown away by the 120hz True Tone whatever.

You couldn't figure this out at a store?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

carry on then posted:

You couldn't figure this out at a store?

Never seen a functioning display. It’s not a huge deal. I’m not going hungry over the price difference, just curious if I should’ve gone with the 2017.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Pro will probably last a long while, so you're good there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea, and I forgot the speakers were a big selling point. Can’t see that in a store display either. All right. I’m stepping down from this hill and I’ll just enjoy it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have an Air and my wife has a 9.7 Pro. The difference in speed, and the amount of reloading when switching between apps, is very noticeable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ProMotion is so good I’ll just spend hours paging between the home screen.

Also the speakers own bones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Friend is looking for a small (cheap) projector for her kid, iPad compatible. Suggestions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have an Air I keep in my kitchen and a 12.9" Pro, and the difference in speed is extremely noticeable. I was considering trading in the Air on a 2017 at Best Buy on Friday but didn't want to deal with the crowd.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This is a dumb as hell question, but about a month ago actor/actress names started showing up in the suggested words boxes in Notes, almost like it was pulling them from IMDb. It was super handy. A few days ago it suddenly stopped. Anyone know how to fix this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wait, I was under the impression Best Buy didn't accept Air 1s for trade-in anymore. Is that not true?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7fr49k/youtube_v1245_fixed_an_issue_with_battery_usage/

Supposedly Youtube murdering your battery has been fixed. I didn't force close it last night and I think I lost 4% battery which still seems high. Will have to test some more.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Any suggestions for a decent dock for my nightstand? I'm getting sick of picking lightning cables off the floor to plug in my iPhone and iPad every night.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any good note/draw apps now that Paper has been gimped for a freemium model?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

ufarn posted:

OneNote or Procreate?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

OneNote or Procreate?
I've got Procreate, but it's more for just drawing in general, not making simple figures and such. There probably isn't something like Paper, unfortunately.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
notability is a great note/drawing app

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ufarn posted:

I was going to tell you to just pay for the app if it's that useful to you but $6/mo for a drawing app is :laffo:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I was going to tell you to just pay for the app if it's that useful to you but $6/mo for a drawing app is :laffo:

At least it's not what WACOM tried with their Bamboo app. They wanted you to pay for additional "pages" in your journal.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

FCKGW posted:

This pricing model is getting to a point where i’m hesitant to spend money on buying apps because they’ll probably become subscription based eventually

ufarn
May 30, 2009

skull mask mcgee posted:

This pricing model is getting to a point where i’m hesitant to spend money on buying apps because they’ll probably become subscription based eventually
What's really weird is that this feels like a shift from cute indie dev to some kind of corporate entity.

I totally support pricing your app more than $2.99x1, but this idea that everyone can buy an iPhone X or pony up $72/y for a drawing app is nutty. But a lot of drawing apps seem to do this, unfortunately. Clip Studio also looked like a cool app for just drawing, but it has the same model.

If it were a bundled suite like Adobe's, hey, now you've got a toolbox for, say, creative people, but this is just weird to me as an average person who just wants to doodle and pay once for it.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I thought this sounded crazy so I checked. It's $6/6 months.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Nvm

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My 12.9" Smart Keyboard has been playing up for a month now and had to buy a new one. Super infuriating having 'this cable or accessory is not supported' pop up with an official apple product...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hamburlgar posted:

My 12.9" Smart Keyboard has been playing up for a month now and had to buy a new one. Super infuriating having 'this cable or accessory is not supported' pop up with an official apple product...

They supposedly have been very good at taking these in for replacement at the store

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Hamburlgar posted:

There’s a quality program by Apple to replace those for free for 3 years from date of purchase. Should have done that. Return the new one.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I bought both the iPad and keyboard 2nd hand off of Craigslist, so I have no idea when it was originally purchased. And the closest apply store is a 4 hour round trip from me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Hamburlgar posted:

I bought both the iPad and keyboard 2nd hand off of Craigslist, so I have no idea when it was originally purchased. And the closest apply store is a 4 hour round trip from me.

Couldn’t have been more than three years ago. Maybe take the faulty keyboard in next time you have a chance and either flip it or have a spare?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Hamburlgar posted:

Just call AppleCare?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MicroCenter is selling the 10.5" iPad Pro for $499.99 which is the lowest I've seen it-- might just be around me though (dallas).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

jokes posted:

MicroCenter is selling the 10.5" iPad Pro for $499.99 which is the lowest I've seen it-- might just be around me though (dallas).

It’s everywhere there’s a Microcenter. In store only, limited stock.

Target’s $539 was a little cheaper last week when you factor sales tax and redcard, but that deals over.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

It’s everywhere there’s a Microcenter. In store only, limited stock.

Target’s $539 was a little cheaper last week when you factor sales tax and redcard, but that deals over.

Starting on 12/10, Target will have them back on sale at $529 or $503.50 w/ Red card

128gb mini on sale too

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone use Apple Music with both their iPhone and iPad? I mostly use it on my phone, which has been fine, but it just won’t sync any of my Apple Music to my iPad anymore, and even older music that used to show up is gone. It’s a family membership, so even just only having it on one device doesn’t make sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do. Works fine for me. Try turning everything off then back on again? That seems to help with those sorts of things.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My friend is considering getting a tablet for typical tablet poo poo. Reading stuff, looking at PDFs, etc. I recommended getting a smaller one so you can more easily read in bed, etc. and he was way on board with that (I showed him my Fire HD 8 and loved the form factor). Is now a good time to get an iPad Mini 4?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe????

There's no telling what Apple will do with the mini form-factor. It hasn't seen an update since fall 2015 and is missing. That said, it is still reasonably speedy.

For your friend's use case, it should do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also guess it depends on how much they are running price wise. We’ve seen some pretty great deals on the full size iPad these days.