Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

All these things you're talking about haven't happened yet sooo..

This. This is the literal dumbest goddamn loving post.

quote:

How exactly is Musk goign to be remembered as a huckster again? SpaceX is going to try to launch a Mars capable rocket and has a amazing successful reusable rocket design already for vastly cheaper than anyone could have imagined, Tesla are supplying huge arrays of batteries (amazingly even on time now), Tesla have blazed the EV trail in ways no one thought could happen and redefined EV's
and yet because Tesla have hit the production hell that rapid expansion gives you esp in car making, he's a huckster?

Exactly what the ever living gently caress hasnt happened out of this lot? The rockets that apparently dont exist that land on a loving barge? The non existance huge arrays of batteries like what was just switched on in South Australia on time? The apparent non existance of EV's poeple actually want with a grwoing charging network no one thoought possible 10 years ago? The existance of a prototype EV truck?

For gently caress sake, the anti Musk's are far more goddamn loving stupid than the fanbois. You are being even more stupid than me opening my big goddamn mouth and yet again doing my best to gently caress up talking to someone and saying things I shouldnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Are you ever not irrationally angry?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Exactly what the ever living gently caress hasnt happened out of this lot? The rockets that apparently dont exist that land on a loving barge? The non existance huge arrays of batteries like what was just switched on in South Australia on time? The apparent non existance of EV's poeple actually want with a grwoing charging network no one thoought possible 10 years ago? The existance of a prototype EV truck?

For gently caress sake, the anti Musk's are far more goddamn loving stupid than the fanbois. You are being even more stupid than me opening my big goddamn mouth and yet again doing my best to gently caress up talking to someone and saying things I shouldnt.

Nice meltdown

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Started removing ash trees from my property today. I have 11 of them, on average 3’ in diameter, maybe 100-150’ tall and bushy as all hell. Only 2 are somewhat straight and easy, safe cuts. The rest are damaged, leaning over, or at risk of hitting buildings and fences.

I hope whoever brought emerald ash borer into this country rots.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Musk and his crew have some good ideas, and some downright terrible ones. (Looking at you Hyperloop), and he tends to really over promise on a lot of things so that doesn't help.
I'd very much love to see Tesla succeed, since it seems like they have some good ideas, but I have the feeling once the other manufactures really start ramping up the EV game they're not going to last long. Especially given Musk's love of doing things his own way instead of the industry standard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... you just raged at your own post.

Chill, crazy.

Edit:

Tesla is not SpaceX. Tesla has HUGE market cap and burns money at an extraordinary pace. Tesla has promised the moon with the Model 3, and has taken millions in deposits, and is so far behind its promises that even the staunch supporters are a bit queasy.

These are NOT good charts (notice that both of the left side scales are in b-b-b-billions (and even its best quarter was a loss of ONLY $1.3 billion in the quarter) ):

Tesla better start delivering the Model 3, or they are in serious trouble.

I didn't pick one side or the other, I just said that Musk was going to be remembered as either one side of the continuum or the other. Either a hero or huckster... and either is possible.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 3, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

edit not quote, dummy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Larrymer posted:

Its not irrational

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Larrymer posted:

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is the voice I hear all of his posts in:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Cash in $20, cash out $110. Gambling ain't bad on those terms.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well USPS managed to gently caress up again and not deliver my OBD2 reader. Undeliverable my rear end :argh:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Started removing ash trees from my property today. I have 11 of them, on average 3’ in diameter, maybe 100-150’ tall and bushy as all hell. Only 2 are somewhat straight and easy, safe cuts. The rest are damaged, leaning over, or at risk of hitting buildings and fences.

I hope whoever brought emerald ash borer into this country rots.

That's not fun. You wedging or tying a rope up in the tree?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

That's not fun. You wedging or tying a rope up in the tree?

I have some felling wedges. Going to cut the two I feel safe cutting tomorrow. I have an osha basket that I attach to the forks on my tractor loader. I got most of the dangerous limbs down today, cut and burned them. I share a driveway and I can drop the trunks across/down it, just have to clean it up before the neighbors use it.

I don’t have a lot of experience felling large trees so I think I will start getting quotes on having the rest of them removed. I have an old, uncapped hand dug well that I need filled in as well. At least one goat a year gets through the fence and falls in. Its a good project for someone with an excavator.

This one in particular I don’t want to stick my saw into. Not pictured is the shed just off to the right. The tree has a heavy lean over the driveway but I worry about it coming apart before I can get through it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Too late for the "gently caress 2017" bandwagon?

Just got back from the vet, our doberman - who had a leg amputated mid-August after developing a tumor in his bone - now has cancer in his lungs and the veterinarian estimates he has about a month of quality life left. An this is on top of us having lost our first dog a few days before he went in for the amputation to cancer as well.

We can take some consolation that he's had about as good of a life as a dog can have, 7 years is close to the average life expectancy of 10-12 and he doesn't have one of the more drawn-out terminal conditions that dobermans have a genetic disposition for. Just going to take it day by day and spoil him even more than we usually do.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 3, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Too late for the "gently caress 2017" bandwagon?

Just got back from the vet, our doberman - who had a leg amputated mid-August after developing a tumor in his bone - now has cancer in his lungs and the veterinarian estimates he has about a month of quality life left. An this is on top of us having lost our first dog a few days before he went in for the amputation to cancer as well.

We can take some consolation that he's had about as good of a life as a dog can have, 7 years is close to the average life expectancy of 10-12 and he doesn't have one of the more drawn-out terminal conditions that dobermans have a genetic disposition for. Just going to take it day by day and spoil him even more than we usually do.

pix of dobie

poor buddy

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

pix of dobie

poor buddy

Edsel in happier times:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Give him a couple extra pets for the AI collective. :(

Also in gently caress 2017, this is the year my daughter now gets all sadbrains once a month and doesn't want to hang out with me even when she's here. A saturday night posting is rare for me, because usually we're cool.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is the voice I hear all of his posts in:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I like cat terrist and we all know fridge corn deserves any and all rage aimed at him. Now get off my lawn.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Atomic Blonde has terrible characters (flat), but is still a good movie.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really didn't like it much, but that one continuous scene was pretty cool.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ooh, yeah. Weak ending. Such promise, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're not supposed to like that movie because the director allegedly raped someone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dang. Must have missed it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Huh. That's a first. Package was marked undeliverable and marked as being sent back to the facility.... But it was there in my mailbox. Mailman must've hit the wrong button or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spent the bulk of the day in Ohio helping Dad get his stuff together for winter. First up was 45 minutes clearing out his shed and then a solid hour of removing mouse poo poo (he's already bombed the shed for rodents). Sprayed a little Great Stuff to fill a few gaps and then loaded everything back inside, this time more organized and taking advantage of the rafters. Then we cleared out more of his crap from the garage and basically filled the shed. Swept out his garage and got it set up so his loaded trail and his suv could fit in there. Wrapped it up by rolling ym Miata up to the side of his house and strapping a cover to it for the winter. Sadly I forgot my battery tender at home 45 minutes away but I'll hook that up the next time I go there.

Got home and backed into the garage only to discover yet another new dent in the ms6's hide. This is starting to be a weekly thing no matter where I end up parking. It's really making me want to just forget a nice, newer car and grab a beat up Jeep or something.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's amazing how quickly I can fill up a wishlist worth of tools idly browsing Amazon. So many tools I never realized existed, but that I totally need.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My ex-wife is moving across the country and is taking either taking the kids in the summer or leaving them with me until the school year is over. I don't know if I can handle them both, alone, and that conflict inside is killing me. I've done some really horrible things in my life (some recently) and almost nothing can begin to touch that pain. :(

On the plus side, I picked up some for sale signs so i can start shuffling out all the cars I don't need anymore. Anyone want a 212K mile Protege5? A 1987 Mazda 323 wagon with 285K miles? I really like manual transmission Japanese station wagons, and it shows!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Blech. Thanks to the long list of requirements from both parties, the only real option for the family Christmas tree is the same one we've been using for years. Except every year it has more dead bulbs and holy gently caress is it a nightmare trying to find the one dead bulb on a prelit tree.

As a bonus it was one of the larger twinkling bulbs this year, which I now have no more spares for. I also can't seem to find any online anywhere for the inevitable dead bulb next year.

Just cut the drat strands off. BAM, you no longer have a prelit tree. I mean yeah it's kind of a pain putting lights on every year, but IMO prelit trees kinda skimp on the lights.

Then again... my tree is a space heater. 900 incandescent bulbs on a "6 foot" (that's being very generous) $20 tree from Walmart... 351 watts according to the Kill-A-Watt. And I realized tonight when I got home that one of the extension cords I'm using is so old that the plug isn't polarized. :stare: I have no idea how that even wound up with me, but the insulation on the cord isn't brittle, and it's only powering non-polarized tree lights, so...

Geoj posted:

Edsel in happier times:

Wanna give dat dobie a belly rub. Poor guy.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you keep driving for work you need a goddamned Prius

Truth. Just need the Saturn to last until the spring or summer with hopefully no major repairs. But it's kinda hard for me to justify replacing it when it just keeps going, and the car really owes me nothing at this point - it's had the lowest cost of ownership out of any car I've owned. And ideally I'd like something more exciting than a Prius, but ideally... yeah, the mileage is nice, close to double what I get now. The coworker that I almost bought a 2006 Prius from didn't have many repairs on it while he owned it (from about 120k - 300k), but when it did need repairs, it was wallet rape. $2500 for a goddamned master cylinder, for example. He took drat good care of it though, and another friend now owns it - I may see if he's up for selling it at some point once he gets tired of it (he has severe car ADD).

I'll probably car shop when the clutch finally goes, since a clutch job on this thing is $$$$ (step 1: remove front subframe). Or maybe not. I know 2018 will be the year that I dump a lot of money into it (new AC system for sure, clutch is showing its age, cooling system could use new hoses since they're starting to get really soft). I'll probably do all the hoses this month or next month, along with plugs, fuel filter, brake fluid, and rotors. Probably do the ac in the spring.

It's developed some timing chain slap on a cold start :ohdear: but otherwise engine noises sound like a healthy engine. The engine is the only thing that doesn't make any concerning noises. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 3, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Just cut the drat strands off. BAM, you no longer have a prelit tree. I mean yeah it's kind of a pain putting lights on every year, but IMO prelit trees kinda skimp on the lights.

Then again... my tree is a space heater. 900 incandescent bulbs on a "6 foot" (that's being very generous) $20 tree from Walmart... 351 watts according to the Kill-A-Watt. And I realized tonight when I got home that one of the extension cords I'm using is so old that the plug isn't polarized. :stare: I have no idea how that even wound up with me, but the insulation on the cord isn't brittle, and it's only powering non-polarized tree lights, so...

If your tree isn't doubling as a space heater, then you simply don't have enough lights.
Last year I have about 1600 on my 7 footer, all incandescent. Although I ended up tossing that on out because it was clapped out and lights are hard to pull back off.

This yeah I found out that Home Depot had 300 light LED strands on sale for $10. Except when I made my order they ran out, so I got 500 light strands instead. (for the same price)
So far I'm up to 1700 now :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Got home and backed into the garage only to discover yet another new dent in the ms6's hide. This is starting to be a weekly thing no matter where I end up parking. It's really making me want to just forget a nice, newer car and grab a beat up Jeep or something.

PDR is a magical thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

If your tree isn't doubling as a space heater, then you simply don't have enough lights.
Last year I have about 1600 on my 7 footer, all incandescent. Although I ended up tossing that on out because it was clapped out and lights are hard to pull back off.

This yeah I found out that Home Depot had 300 light LED strands on sale for $10. Except when I made my order they ran out, so I got 500 light strands instead. (for the same price)
So far I'm up to 1700 now :v:

That's a proper tree though. Nice, full, plump. Mine is the cheapest :airquote: 6 foot (really, it's more like 5 ft once you remove the stand and the little twig at the top) I could find. It really looks like a sad little Charlie Brown tree until you fill it in with lights and ornaments. And I made the mistake of going with mostly dark ornaments; it looks like there's hardly any on it because of that. I'll go with a different tree next year.. one that's a bit fuller, one that's also maybe a bit... different. I saw some black ones that were pretty awesome, but they were only pre-lit.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but LED Christmas lights really don't look right to me. The cheap ones give me migraines from the 60 hz flicker, the good ones are just a bit... dazzling I guess? I'm all for the LED ones for exterior decor, but on the tree itself, they just look wrong to me. :corsair:

I can't do the clear/white lights either. Growing up, my mother always insisted those were for the poors and the gays (seriously), and that real trees always had clear lights. So I make sure mine is making GBS threads rainbows. They do look great when done right (and yours was done right), I just like a bit more color.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 3, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DJ Commie posted:

My ex-wife is moving across the country and is taking either taking the kids in the summer or leaving them with me until the school year is over. I don't know if I can handle them both, alone, and that conflict inside is killing me. I've done some really horrible things in my life (some recently) and almost nothing can begin to touch that pain. :(

You'll do what's best for the kids.

If that causes you some personal pain, you'll cope with it because you are doing it for them and not your own, selfish reasons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My cat had to be put down. Sudden onset mental degradation. He was pissing on, growling at, and violently attacking everyone and everything. He drew blood on our other cat and that was about the breaking point.

gently caress 2017. I'm gonna miss you, buddy. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

You'll do what's best for the kids.

If that causes you some personal pain, you'll cope with it because you are doing it for them and not your own, selfish reasons.
Easy to say, not so easy to do, though. Depending on the age of the kids, trying to look after two of them while working full time could be borderline impossible, either in timekeeping or financial terms.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was actually referring to the pain of not being with them because the mother is better able to look after them.

Any decent father is going to hurt a lot to make that decision, but doing it for the kids is the right decision and he should remember that reasoning.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our new kitten went to the vet this week to have a small lump about the size of a baby pea on her back looked at.

Basal cell tumor. She gets it cut out thursday and we're hoping like hell we got onto it before it went wandering. Poor little thing, we've only had her a few months after she appeared in our yard after a storm

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't do the clear/white lights either. Growing up, my mother always insisted those were for the poors and the gays (seriously), and that real trees always had clear lights. So I make sure mine is making GBS threads rainbows. They do look great when done right (and yours was done right), I just like a bit more color.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hey everybody, happy new month! I feel like I'm falling off the face of the earth these days, grad school recently went from "oh hey, this is cool new concept stuff" to "RAPE YOUR BRAIN WITH INFORMATION!" At least I think I'm through the worst of the rabbit hole and can finally focus on what's important... AISS, I get to go shopping today for my santee and that makes me happier than a hooker on discount day. So, yeah. Happy December everybody, hope your month/Christmas is well and your year was equally successful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My thread is in archive-ville, so y'all get a pic. It's beginning to look a lot like gently caress-this (carryin' 10' of freshly slain nature to put on display in our house).

Happy holidays, nerds.

• Locked thread