Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

I now have 4 winding gears after 41 silver dives. Im making more than im spending but these odds are trash. Do not attempt quests that require salvage until you level up your blades salvage skills or you feel really lucky

blades can improve your salvage? oh god there's so much i don't know or understaaaaand :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ciaphas posted:

blades can improve your salvage? oh god there's so much i don't know or understaaaaand :cry:

I have a blade or two with a salvage boosting skill, yeah. It's just like any other loot booster like Botany, far as I can tell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I have a blade or two with a salvage boosting skill, yeah. It's just like any other loot booster like Botany, far as I can tell.

do blades have to be in your active combat party to have their skills activate?

Issar
Feb 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

do blades have to be in your active combat party to have their skills activate?

They have to be one of your current 3 ones but don't have to be the visible one.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
you guys seriously need to be collecting royalties from companies

xenoblade 2 is currently downloading, I couldn't resist joining in the fun. I crunched out a solid amount of work on a day off and stayed in so gently caress it, right?

I'm feeling like it's going to be hit or miss for me. Skyrim was a deifinite miss but I play more jrpgs than I do wrpgs so I'm thinking this is gonna be alright. Reading everyone's mixed reactions has been interesting so let's see what's up.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Mario X-COM is pretty choice. Having fun so far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wow the Switch has lovely sound. In handheld mode I mean. The Vita sounds better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Nevermind!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Wow the Switch has lovely sound. In handheld mode I mean. The Vita sounds better.

It sounds fine to me other than maybe the maximum volume being a tiny bit too low. lovely how?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

It sounds fine to me other than maybe the maximum volume being a tiny bit too low. lovely how?

No stereo. Soft. Bad range.

My phone sounds better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
uh my dude it is definitely stereo. it has two speakers. You can see them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I'm probably gonna get XC2 tomorrow, do they still do the whole ton of missable sidequests deal like XC1?

I guess they're technically possible to miss but they're marked as obviously as possible both on your minimap and compass.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finished chapter 1. The tutorial for combat is real bad but i think i get the basics. Its dumb af that i'm locked out of stuff like chain attacks that i know how to use from the first game until i hit the arbitrary tutorial point

Also the game should tell you what "use overdrive" means in the blade menu before permanently switching a blade to another user. God drat that sucked.

Also wow dont even try to bond with rare crystals until you raise your luck or you'll just waste it and get a generic blade.

One positive thing i like is how the forging system from 1 was totally thrown out and replaced with something much much simpler to understand with no minigame associated.

On another positive note holy poo poo the end chapter 1 cutscene is loving awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was wondering about chain attacks, yeah. When do they unlock? I was fighting a couple uniques after ch3 started and got orbs then i was like ... now what?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the combat looks really slow and not interesting. is this true?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I was wondering about chain attacks, yeah. When do they unlock? I was fighting a couple uniques after ch3 started and got orbs then i was like ... now what?

You're close. Do the story a bit more.

Blazing Zero posted:

the combat looks really slow and not interesting. is this true?

Gets way better when all the features are unlocked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its fast if you only fight things your level and use the synergies between elements.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess they're technically possible to miss but they're marked as obviously as possible both on your minimap and compass.

Though the maps sucks.

My one big complaint about the game

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You can't change to this Pyra costume at will. Game is literally unplayable.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I haven't played a Xeno game since Xenosaga on PS2. Would I be able to buy this and have a good time?

I have played some Tales and Star Ocean games and have hated hated hated the combat, but I do have a pretty high tolerance for anime bullshit.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Waltzing Along posted:

My phone sounds better.

Your phone was likely $700+. Not really fair to compare it to a $299 device.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also his phone probably doesn't actually sound better.

Comparing the native sound on portable devices is like comparing crap vs poo poo anyways. Just use headphones or turn the sound off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Playing games without sound is weird.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Also wow dont even try to bond with rare crystals until you raise your luck or you'll just waste it and get a generic blade.

My first rare crystal got a 4 level boost in Justice and the goth punk chick with anger issues. Does the game always save before using rare crystals?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GigaPeon posted:

So I got the Mario Odyssey bundle with the red Joycons and the right one seems to drop signal a lot, especially when I’m using them as two free controllers. I’m going to have to contact Nintendo for an RMA aren’t I. Do I need to send in my righty before they send me a new one?

Yes you send it in first, and they will probably repair it and send it back instead of giving you a new one. Their turnaround time is super quick and paid overnight both ways, though. I was without Joy-Con for only 3 days, and that was back in March when everybody was sending in their Joy-Cons for the left Joy-Con issue.

ErIog posted:

I haven't played a Xeno game since Xenosaga on PS2. Would I be able to buy this and have a good time?

I have played some Tales and Star Ocean games and have hated hated hated the combat, but I do have a pretty high tolerance for anime bullshit.

Yeah, definitely. Xenoblade has absolutely nothing to do with Xenosaga except anime and weird semi-robotic people/armor.

Xenoblade has a very unique action RPG combat system, though. It's almost MMO in practice. You might want to watch some videos first.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 3, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Healbot posted:

My first rare crystal got a 4 level boost in Justice and the goth punk chick with anger issues. Does the game always save before using rare crystals?

It saves before using core crystals full stop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Healbot posted:

Saves everytime to prevent save scumming. The Japanese are particular about their gacha games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really impressed by Switch as piece of hardware, but my one gripe is having to lug around the clip on buttons for portable multiplayer. Being able to pop the joycons off, flipping the stand out and being like "lets play a game" is so great but I feel like it's thunder is totally stolen while you are sliding on 2 little slabs of plastic you really didn't want to bring with you anyways. I always accidentally stick one of them on upside down too and have to fumble with getting it off.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That's why I always keep the straps in my case. Be prepared to Switch at anytime!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

veni veni veni posted:

I'm really impressed by Switch as piece of hardware, but my one gripe is having to lug around the clip on buttons for portable multiplayer. Being able to pop the joycons off, flipping the stand out and being like "lets play a game" is so great but I feel like it's thunder is totally stolen while you are sliding on 2 little slabs of plastic you really didn't want to bring with you anyways. I always accidentally stick one of them on upside down too and have to fumble with getting it off.

Have you tried playing without the straps? It's not as comfortable, but far from unusable.

Just came back from a friend's place where I showed off the Nine Parchments demo to a full four players, and after a bit of fumbling with controllers in the beginning (the single-joycon controls were proving to be unwieldy and buggy, but my friend fortunately has a Switch and had enough stuff for each person to have a full controller), it ended up being a big blast. Most of them don't have Switches, so I might double-dip on PC and Switch, but nonetheless I think I sold a few copies of that game. It's a lot of fun in local multi where the friendly fire and ability to combine beam attacks can lead to some shenanigans.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Healbot posted:

To prevent scumsaving for better blades

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

404notfound posted:

Have you tried playing without the straps? It's not as comfortable, but far from unusable.

It depends on the game because the straps have the shoulder buttons that are "usable" compared to the recessed bullshit without them. I wouldn't want to play Mario Kart with the single joycons anyway, but I extra wouldn't want to play it without shoulders.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was wrong. XB2 looks fine in portable.

I was just in a poo poo section when I tried it out yesterday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah
I just did every side quest in gormatt i could find and the running around/exploring is very very good vs xbc1

For the one where your looking for people who broke a crane cable, I found two out of three hints, but the third one (the location) seems to be on top of a building and I can't figure out how the hell to get up there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Infinitum posted:

I was wrong. XB2 looks fine in portable.

I was just in a poo poo section when I tried it out yesterday.

There's a bit more pop-in in big open areas like Gormott and the framerate stutters a bit when entering cities but I've been playing mostly portable tbh because I'll start playing on the TV then pull it out when I need the toilet and end up never putting it back in the dock.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

James Woods Fan posted:

Mario X-COM is pretty choice. Having fun so far.

That game is fun for me for like a half hour at a time

That's not a bad thing it's just designed for you to go away

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Do big nintendo titles ever go on sale?

I'm kind of new to the nintendo e-shop

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

For the one where your looking for people who broke a crane cable, I found two out of three hints, but the third one (the location) seems to be on top of a building and I can't figure out how the hell to get up there.
Climb up the nearby guard tower, jump from tower to banner, banner to building. You'll figure out the rest.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I'll say about Tittyblade 2 is that the fast travel is some of the silliest poo poo I've ever seen in a game. Cool, we just rescued a girl and now we have to escape from this ship. We obviously could just teleport to any previously found spot and do whatever but that doesn't count.
That said it's a huge quality of life thing in a JRPG. Means that if you are stuck at a boss for instance you can gently caress off and do something else instead. I'm guessing it was implemented fairly late in the dev cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mikojan posted:

Do big nintendo titles ever go on sale?

I'm kind of new to the nintendo e-shop

Nope. maybe they'll get 10-20% off after a year but in their launch year that poo poo ain't getting cheaper.

• Locked thread