Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

2k games take way too long. 1k forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only if you play it wrong.

My 2k Skryre list only has 22 models in it. Game ends as a blowout one way or the other.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I'm glad your one army comp makes 2k fast.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Injuryprone posted:

2k games take way too long. 1k forever.

1k is the sweet spot between quick games and having a decent selection of lists. Plus it limits the ability of Battalion Buff Bullshit.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

I'm glad your one army comp makes 2k fast.

:thejoke:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
E: Found a square base hookup, thanks!

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 10, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think I have a few, I'll check it out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted dudes for this new fantasy game in the style of the old fantasy game
20 State Troops - painting masses of dudes is way easier when they don't have bling hanging everywhere:

Arcane Ruins - this set is easy to assemble but ugh there's so many gaps to fill and they're really awful. After gap filling and sanding it looks okay:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Those are some good lookin mans. especially love the boarhead banner.

I have a question regarding battalions. Mainly I wanna know if this list is legal.

I'm planning on taking Gore Pilgrims, which is 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, 1 unit of Blood Warriors and 1 unit of Bloodreavers mandatory. You can take an additional Slaughterpriest and 1 more unit of Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers.

If you're making an army list at say 2,000 points, are you allowed to take units outside of the battalion? Here's the list i made out (Bolds are part of the Battalion):

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage - General, Great Destroyer, Crown of Conquest
Slaughterpriest - Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest - Resanguination
Slaughterpriest - Magebane Hex
Bloodsecrator - Banner of Rage

Bloodsecrator - Banner of Rage

Blood Warriors x 10 - Goreaxes, 1x goreglaive, banner

Bloodreavers x 10 - Meatripper Axes
Bloodreavers x 10 - Meatripper Axes

Wrathmongers x 5
Khorgorath x 2
Khorgorath x 2
Khorgorath x 2

Comes out to 1980.

Some other questions - Can I take 2 x Banners of Rage? Also, only the Bloodsecrator in the battalion benefits from the boost, correct?

Thanks!

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Those are some good lookin mans. especially love the boarhead banner.

I have a question regarding battalions. Mainly I wanna know if this list is legal.

I'm planning on taking Gore Pilgrims, which is 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, 1 unit of Blood Warriors and 1 unit of Bloodreavers mandatory. You can take an additional Slaughterpriest and 1 more unit of Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers.

If you're making an army list at say 2,000 points, are you allowed to take units outside of the battalion?

Some other questions - Can I take 2 x Banners of Rage? Also, only the Bloodsecrator in the battalion benefits from the boost, correct?

Thanks!

You can take units outside the battalion. The battalion grants extra rules to only the units in the battalion, and those units are counted as one drop in deployment. I didn't add up the points on your list but make sure you are paying points for that battalion (180).

The banner artifacts would be subject to the new Rule of One that limits artifacts to one per army, unless there is something special in the KBB book that might get around that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I amended my list after learning about the rule of one.

Only 1 banner of rage now.

So, if I have a unit of 20 Bloodreavers in range of 2 bloodsecrators, + 1 banner of rage, they get +3 attacks, correct?

Cause the FAQ states spells and abilities are stackable unless it’s specifically stated otherwise.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Zuul the Cat posted:

So I amended my list after learning about the rule of one.

Only 1 banner of rage now.

So, if I have a unit of 20 Bloodreavers in range of 2 bloodsecrators, + 1 banner of rage, they get +3 attacks, correct?

Cause the FAQ states spells and abilities are stackable unless it’s specifically stated otherwise.

Sounds right. I know the death player at my LGS rolls literally hundreds of dice for his skeleton warriors due to stacking bonuses like that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, does that mean Bloodreavers can potentially make 6 attacks each!?

Bloodsecrator +Bloodsecrator + Banner of Rage, + Frenzied Devotion + Wrathmongers?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

Jesus, does that mean Bloodreavers can potentially make 6 attacks each!?

Bloodsecrator +Bloodsecrator + Banner of Rage, + Frenzied Devotion + Wrathmongers?

Bloodsecrators don't stack with each other anymore, it's in the FAQ.

It has to do with how certain abilities are worded (Although I firmly believe that nothing should stack with the same name but anyway).

Page 137 – Bloodsecrator, Portal of Skulls, Rage
of Khorne
Change to:
‘Rage of Khorne: Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic for
melee weapons used by friendly Khorne units while
they are within 18" of any models with this ability. In
addition, do not take battleshock tests for friendly
Khorne units while they are within 18" of any models
with this ability.’

ABILITIES
Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability,
does it mean that the ability is applied only once when the
criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability
said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6" of any
models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a
model that was within 6" of three models with the ability, or
would I add 3?
A: The ability is applied only once, no matter how many
times the criteria are fulfilled – ‘any’ is treated as being
synonymous with ‘one or more’ in the Warhammer Age of
Sigmar rules. In the example, this means that 1 would be
added to the hit rolls, not 3.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But the faq also says abilities and spells stack, unless specifically stated otherwise. This is how Kharadron get -4 rend.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

But the faq also says abilities and spells stack, unless specifically stated otherwise. This is how Kharadron get -4 rend.

Not if the word any is in it, like the banner uses

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, ain't these shorter, easier to read rules just grand?

*looks at 40K, where people are debating whether Chapter Approved wording means that heroes over 10 wounds become invisible when they drop below 10 wounds*

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

JcDent posted:

Man, ain't these shorter, easier to read rules just grand?

*looks at 40K, where people are debating whether Chapter Approved wording means that heroes over 10 wounds become invisible when they drop below 10 wounds*

You’ll always have assholes and idiots though.

I have a confession. I have been reading Age of Sigmar novella and short stories. I like them. There’s some bad writing / bad authors where they’re trying to big up certain armies - some rolling of eyes when loving Skinks are taking down Blight Kings. But there’s some awesome stuff there too and some interesting ideas - Nurgle’s followers tending to stagnate and get locked in the same cycle of actions and obsessive compulsive behaviours. Is it sacrilege to be a Bloodbound if you want to ascend to Daemonhood in order to try to take your revenge on Khorne. How reforgeing can really gently caress up Stormcast and give them PTSD. And of course, the Hallowed Knights are awesome.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Milotic posted:

You’ll always have assholes and idiots though.

I have a confession. I have been reading Age of Sigmar novella and short stories. I like them. There’s some bad writing / bad authors where they’re trying to big up certain armies - some rolling of eyes when loving Skinks are taking down Blight Kings. But there’s some awesome stuff there too and some interesting ideas - Nurgle’s followers tending to stagnate and get locked in the same cycle of actions and obsessive compulsive behaviours. Is it sacrilege to be a Bloodbound if you want to ascend to Daemonhood in order to try to take your revenge on Khorne. How reforgeing can really gently caress up Stormcast and give them PTSD. And of course, the Hallowed Knights are awesome.

Yeah, I'm starting to get into them too - reading the Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows right now. GW is finally realizing that there has to be some sort of grounding aspect to their stories for AoS - it can't be gods vs. gods vs. gods all the time and be accessible.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

Not if the word any is in it, like the banner uses

I guess that makes sense. The only reason I question is the example used is for abilities affecting modifiers, not an increase in attacks.

God drat, I wish they were just clear on whether or not his ability stacked. That FAQ is confusing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They really should just hand over all the AoS writing duties to Josh Renalds, that dude just loving Gets It.

Also he was hinting on his Tumblr that he's gotten the go-ahead to start writing novels about Manfred von Carstein and I'm excited, love that little bloodsucking poo poo.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

SRM posted:

I painted dudes for this new fantasy game in the style of the old fantasy game
20 State Troops - painting masses of dudes is way easier when they don't have bling hanging everywhere:

Arcane Ruins - this set is easy to assemble but ugh there's so many gaps to fill and they're really awful. After gap filling and sanding it looks okay:

The ruins came out really well what with how terrible you made it sound. Happen to have any pics of how bad the gaps were?

Troops look great and id really like to get some. If I had gotten in on WFB that's where I woulda went. Now I want a red and white quartered outfit...

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Yeah some of the novels are kicking rad, the orruk books in particular are good.

And I don't know why they don't have the fluff in the stormcast army book to be more consistent with the novels.

Because a lot of the stormcast in the novels are people, with flaws and are actually interesting. And I do like how every time they reforge those flaws generally get even worse.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fantasy good guy necrons, basically.

I'll wait a few years before reading more. I have my Humble Bundle HH stuff to get through.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moose-Alini posted:

The ruins came out really well what with how terrible you made it sound. Happen to have any pics of how bad the gaps were?

Troops look great and id really like to get some. If I had gotten in on WFB that's where I woulda went. Now I want a red and white quartered outfit...

Thanks! I just have this one picture after I primed and washed them and realized the gaps were pretty bad:

And you can still get Empire dudes, aside from Knightly Orders, some characters, and Cannons/Mortars they're all still available from GW. The rest you can find on eBay or leftover at your FLGS without too much trouble usually.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get into them too - reading the Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows right now. GW is finally realizing that there has to be some sort of grounding aspect to their stories for AoS - it can't be gods vs. gods vs. gods all the time and be accessible.

Indeed. If he keeps up the output over the next few years it would not surprise me at all if Josh Reynolds ends up having the same kind of defining influence over Age of Sigmar fluff as Abnett had over 40k.

Would also recommend Nick Horth as one to watch. City of Secrets is fun and is apparently getting sequels.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Has anyone read that Kharadron novel? They're by far my fave bit of AoS right now, but I don't have the patience or money to waste on crap.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so with the rules clarification I amended my list. Here's what I'm taking:

quote:

General:
Aspiring Deathbringer w/Goreaxe & Skullhammer - 100pts
- Berzerker Lord

Heroes:
Bloodsecrator - 120 pts
- Banner of Blood

Slaughterpriest - 100

Slaughterpriest w/Hackblade & Wrath-Hammer - 100

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut - 140

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage - 260
- Mark of the Bloodreaper

Battlelines:
Blood Warriors x 5 - 100
- Twin Goreaxes, Goreglaive

Blood Warriors x 5 - 100
- Twin Goreaxes, Goreglaive

Bloodreavers x 10 - 70
- Meatripper Axes

Bloodreavers x 10 - 70
- Meatripper Axes

Other Units:
Khorgorath x 2 - 160
Khorgorath x 2 - 160
Khorgorath x 2 - 160

Wrathmongers x 5 - 180

Battalion:
Gore Pilgrims - 180

Total: 2000/2000

Using this, I don't think there's any overlap of abilities being used twice of the same name, so I should be good on gaining attacks.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

SRM posted:

Thanks! I just have this one picture after I primed and washed them and realized the gaps were pretty bad:

And you can still get Empire dudes, aside from Knightly Orders, some characters, and Cannons/Mortars they're all still available from GW. The rest you can find on eBay or leftover at your FLGS without too much trouble usually.

Yeah that is terrible looking, yeesh.

I liked empire a lot but am really down on freeguilds or whatever. For AoS I have a hundred stormcast to finish first. Let alone my cabinet of shame full of primed 40k.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not specific to AoS, but I'm looking at picking up some sort of gaming mat. I like the look of the GW Soulblight mat, but I've heard that the images are kind of blurry and that the folds really can't be ironed out of the mat. Plus, at $80 USD, I can get a 6x4 mat for larger games.

That being said, it looks like the only US based seller for gaming mats is Tablewar with their FAT Mats. I see some better images on mats from overseas, but the shipping is a killer. Has anyone picked up a mat from a US seller that they can recommend? Or are there any US distributors of any of the European mats where I'm not going to be stuck with paying $50 for shipping?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not specific to AoS, but I'm looking at picking up some sort of gaming mat. I like the look of the GW Soulblight mat, but I've heard that the images are kind of blurry and that the folds really can't be ironed out of the mat. Plus, at $80 USD, I can get a 6x4 mat for larger games.

That being said, it looks like the only US based seller for gaming mats is Tablewar with their FAT Mats. I see some better images on mats from overseas, but the shipping is a killer. Has anyone picked up a mat from a US seller that they can recommend? Or are there any US distributors of any of the European mats where I'm not going to be stuck with paying $50 for shipping?

I haven't received mine yet but ordered a mat from Mats by Mars, liked the look of them and they're US-based: https://matsbymars.com/collections/48-x-72-mats

I bought a mat from gamemat.eu and I don't feel the shipping was crazy. I did pay about 50 bucks or so but I also ordered 3 terrain sets with it so I imagine a single mat would be much cheaper.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I've got a Tablewar mat and a Gamemat.eu one, the Forges of Mars one. I like the image quality of the Tablewar mat far better. The Gamemat one has a semi-metallic sheen to it that I'm not a huge fan of, but it's the only decent Martian map on the market. Shipping on the gamemat from Poland to Florida was 27 bucks.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

berzerkmonkey posted:

Check out cigar box battles. Great mats, they're fleece instead of mouse pads so you can wash them and they're not a pain in the weenis to transport.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Shipping on the gamemat from Poland to Florida was 27 bucks.
Gamemat.eu is Czech, if you paid for thwo-stage shipping through Poland it might explain the cost :v

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I assume any place in Eastern Europe with odd consonant clusters is Poland. I was educated in Florida I'm doing my best.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you are ok with shipping from EU, Deep Cut Studio are local dudes that have provided mats to the Dropzone Commander crew and whatever. Support some Lithuanians!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Spoopy things are happening

https://malignportents.com/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The Malign Portents site is up. Death, death, baby!

Thanks for the mat recommendations.

JcDent posted:

If you are ok with shipping from EU, Deep Cut Studio are local dudes that have provided mats to the Dropzone Commander crew and whatever. Support some Lithuanians!
Sadly, I can't afford the $40 USD shipping for a $70 USD mat. They do have some cool textures though.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've got a Tablewar mat and a Gamemat.eu one, the Forges of Mars one. I like the image quality of the Tablewar mat far better. The Gamemat one has a semi-metallic sheen to it that I'm not a huge fan of, but it's the only decent Martian map on the market. Shipping on the gamemat from Poland to Florida was 27 bucks.
That sucks - their pricing was low enough to offset the higher shipping cost. I'm not seeing a sheen in any of the YouTube reviews. Maybe they changed printing processes since you picked yours up?

bonds0097 posted:

I haven't received mine yet but ordered a mat from Mats by Mars, liked the look of them and they're US-based: https://matsbymars.com/collections/48-x-72-mats
I wasn't a fan of their textures - they remind me an awful lot of early 90's Photoshop tutorials.

muggins posted:

Check out cigar box battles. Great mats, they're fleece instead of mouse pads so you can wash them and they're not a pain in the weenis to transport.
The thought of using one of these and having it catch on every sharp point and then pulling and pilling really gives me the heebie jeebies. Plus, it's a printed blanket that costs as much as a mousepad mat. I don't know if I could justify that to myself... I do like the desert texture though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Go down to Joann's and see what they have cheap. I almost grabbed a fleece ocean blanket/map for 8 bucks this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

berzerkmonkey posted:

The thought of using one of these and having it catch on every sharp point and then pulling and pilling really gives me the heebie jeebies. Plus, it's a printed blanket that costs as much as a mousepad mat. I don't know if I could justify that to myself... I do like the desert texture though.

Tbh, I've not had that issue. Regarding price, I don't really see a quality difference between it and a mouse pad mat, which I have. And it's so much easier to transport

• Locked thread