Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Futuresight posted:

Nope just straight out the box. Here's what it looks like in my latest game:

This is just a stock medium eliptical galaxy.

I guess the lines look a little faint, maybe you're color blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I 100% can't see hyperlanes when they're near the core. If I start near the core I just roll up a new map. It's surprisingly bad design.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There should be some fancy glowing space-storm wall around the core, not the glarey fog.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

There should be some fancy glowing space-storm wall around the core, not the glarey fog.

Watching whole systems get sucked into the black hole at the core of galaxy over the course of the game would be a nice touch. Could even apply the effect to the system black holes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There are mods to brighten hyperlanes and decrease the brightness of the galactic core on the workshop, whichever you want.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How does repair speed of "The Grand Fleet" edict affect hull regen once you have regenerative plating or whatever the name for it is? It only applies if you're orbiting a space port, or does it help mid-battle regen?

e: does the 5% to shield hp tech help with shield regen rates?

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Split Pea Superman posted:

Watching whole systems get sucked into the black hole at the core of galaxy over the course of the game would be a nice touch. Could even apply the effect to the system black holes.

That's not how it works!! Black holes don't suck things in unless something just happens to intersect its orbit in the right way so that it falls in.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Thanks for reminding me about mods. Picked up one called Dark Galaxy which is out of date but works anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is one of those nerd traps right

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If they aren’t going to fix ground combat in Cherryh I hope they replace the useless ground combat techs and militarist bonus with fleet max techs.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah i wish you could actually like, defend a planet with troops.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

That's not how it works!! Black holes don't suck things in unless something just happens to intersect its orbit in the right way so that it falls in.

Well the intersections seem to happen often enough, else I don't think there would be many black holes. IDK if they would occur very often within the game's time scale though. I'm not an astro-physicist.

Something like this is what I had in mind though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM6TWFSj57M

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Well the intersections seem to happen often enough, else I don't think there would be many black holes. IDK if they would occur very often within the game's time scale though. I'm not an astro-physicist.

Something like this is what I had in mind though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM6TWFSj57M

Black holes occur when a sufficiently massive star implodes, it has nothing to do with stellar collisions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shadowlyger posted:

Black holes occur when a sufficiently massive star implodes, it has nothing to do with stellar collisions.

Well, stellar collisions can cause them too. Specially a collision between two neutron stars will create a black hole, that's one of the blips the gravity wave detector is supposed to have picked up.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think any cosmic event that causes a lot of density in a small point of space will result in a black hole?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

COMRADES posted:

I think any cosmic event that causes a lot of density in a small point of space will result in a black hole?

True, you can make one out of pure light too, called a kugelblitz.

The thing about most collisions is they will explode before hitting their schwarzschild radius as electron and neutron degeneracy pressure are hurdles that have to be overcome, and if your hit those barriers without blowing right past them they send a shockwave which tends to blast the colliding objects apart.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 3, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

There are mods to brighten hyperlanes and decrease the brightness of the galactic core on the workshop, whichever you want.

Now I want a "realism" mod which increases the brightness of the galactic core until our eyes bleed

Also all colonies too close to the core suffer high penalties on everything due to the extreme background radiation

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

COMRADES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmjWYQi2UM

Also cats, apparently? :v:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

Here's a transcript of a NASA Q&A:https://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/black_hole_chat.html

NASA dude Gerald Jerry Fishman posted:

Most scientists think that black holes are formed when the centers of very massive stars collapse and can no longer support the overlaying material. These are called solar-mass black holes -- black holes with at least 10x the mass of the sun. Much more massive black holes are called supermassive black holes. These are thought to start by "swallowing" other stars at the center of a galaxy. They start as a small black hole and gradually grow to an enormous size, sometimes as large as a hundred million to a billion times the mass of our sun. Some scientists believe that there are a class of "primordial" or small black holes that formed at the same time the universe formed. These haven't been directly observed, so their reality can't be confirmed. Some of the very small primordial black holes are thought to slowly evaporate over long periods of time, whereas more massive black holes can live for many billions of years.

Yes, if there's nearby material they'll gather this material and they'll grow in mass -- but only slightly in size.

Scarker: Is it possible for an object to orbit a black hole within its event horizon without being sucked into the center?

Jerry: Yes, but its orbit will likely become smaller and eventually it will be sucked into the black hole.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nitrousoxide posted:

True, you can make one out of pure light too, called a kugelblitz.
Oh my god this is (theoretically) a real thing :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Oh my god this is (theoretically) a real thing :stare:

It's not theoretical, if the weather is dry enough they can form naturally. It's just so incredibly rare people refuse to believe in them until they get blown up by a Kugelblitz drifting into their house.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gravity manipulation ascendancy tree:
t1: Solar scale propulsion: able to move asteroids around, can crash them into planets killing some of the pops
t2: Able to move moons around, can crash them into planets killing all pops. Leaves a smaller tomb world with a high mineral bonus debris field
t3: Able to eject black holes from the galactic core. Annihilates systems in a line drawn from the galactic center. Systems not directly in the path get shifted inwards, have a chance of losing smaller bodies, and get a habitability/happiness debuff from the chaos.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

It's not theoretical, if the weather is dry enough they can form naturally. It's just so incredibly rare people refuse to believe in them until they get blown up by a Kugelblitz drifting into their house.

Yes, people get blown up by black holes drifting into their houses all the time, everyone knows that.

(They were talking about black holes formed from light instead of matter, which are named after ball lightning, not actual ball lightning.)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Is it intended that the Fallen Empire peace treaty can win a domination victory? And it just awards it to a random signatory?

Also, there should be repeatable traditions for when you max out all the trees

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Yes, people get blown up by black holes drifting into their houses all the time, everyone knows that.

(They were talking about black holes formed from light instead of matter, which are named after ball lightning, not actual ball lightning.)

Wow, that's actually a thing? :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

Wow, that's actually a thing? :psyduck:

Also megacryometeors

At any moment you might get smashed by a giant ball of ice dropping out of a cloudless sky.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man, I didn't think you could just steal enemy megastructures by taking the system they're in. What happens if you take a Megastructure you already have, does it delete it or do you get two?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh man, I didn't think you could just steal enemy megastructures by taking the system they're in. What happens if you take a Megastructure you already have, does it delete it or do you get two?

Always a good idea to pop a habitat on an otherwise empty megastructure system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Also megacryometeors

At any moment you might get smashed by a giant ball of ice dropping out of a cloudless sky.

Ha, as if frozen poo poo from airplanes wasn't enough nature sometimes makes frozen surprises for us, too? That's just great! :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In my current game, I'm an evolved-to-synthetics former plant race battling a hardline spiritualist federation whose sole reason to be is annihilating the heathen false existences that are androids. A single legion of mechanoids versus a coalition of about two dozen biblethumping empires. Their fleet strength is nearly 3 million, while mine is about 1.5, but their ships are far squishier than mine with their average battleship hull strength being about 3k while mine are 4.1k, leading to my 400 battleships kicking their massed armada in the nuts before hightailing it(because attrition will still defeat me).

The organic, perception storytelling in this game is pretty good, even past the point where written storylines have run out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I keep getting events for precursor anomolies but they never actually show up, are they bugged?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I keep getting events for precursor anomolies but they never actually show up, are they bugged?

You have to go into the situation log and hit the track button. The systems they're in will then get the yellow hexagon thing marking them. There's a good chance they're in someone else's territory, or are about to be.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

You have to go into the situation log and hit the track button. The systems they're in will then get the yellow hexagon thing marking them. There's a good chance they're in someone else's territory, or are about to be.

This. I've never once been able to complete a precursor quest chain because the AI always steals one or more of the systems.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It just shows me the locations of the anomalies I've already researched, not the new ones they've given me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah that was a bug for me too in my first game. Seems like after a certain amount of time the events just despawned or somrthing, sending ships to those systems yielded nothing despite the marker.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Odd. I was able to complete the chain despite having been forced to continue the scanning chain after taking systems from hostile empires.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I wish there was a slider for the length of the precursor chain. I've never legitimately completed it, but almost always get 5/6

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
This game fun yet?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Marcus Garvey posted:

This game fun yet?

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant