Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, the game where exactly one third of the range revealed so far (and half the models in the box) is women, and not creepy cheesecake women at that, is a fair target for diversity criticism. In this hobby. Totes.

This is a pretty stupid position. You have the obvious problem that just because other companies are worse doesn't mean that GW is fine. Both things can be bad for different reasons at the same time. I'm not going to give GW a pass just because they're marginally better than the competition. Especially not in this hobby.

I also don't cash checks on the future. You can have all the diverse concept art and promises for female sculpts in the world and it doesn't mean a drat thing if the only thing I can buy is either only dudes or the token all-girls faction. We all want GW to follow through, but when they're only releasing a new faction every quarter and the first expansion faction was already done before they realized that their customers might be interested in having women in their gangs, that means it's going to be nearly half a year before we get any regular women in the game.

You're right that there are a substantial number of women models available and that's objectively a good thing, but actually look at what the criticism is. It's not the sculpts. It's that GW did nothing, yet, to counter-balance the legacy fluff from the 80s and 90s that said girls can only be in the all-girls faction and no where else. Apparently this is going to change. But I still have to say "apparently" because until such a time that I can make that purchase it isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is a pretty stupid position. You have the obvious problem that just because other companies are worse doesn't mean that GW is fine. Both things can be bad for different reasons at the same time. I'm not going to give GW a pass just because they're marginally better than the competition. Especially not in this hobby.

I also don't cash checks on the future. You can have all the diverse concept art and promises for female sculpts in the world and it doesn't mean a drat thing if the only thing I can buy is either only dudes or the token all-girls faction. We all want GW to follow through, but when they're only releasing a new faction every quarter and the first expansion faction was already done before they realized that their customers might be interested in having women in their gangs, that means it's going to be nearly half a year before we get any regular women in the game.

You're right that there are a substantial number of women models available and that's objectively a good thing, but actually look at what the criticism is. It's not the sculpts. It's that GW did nothing, yet, to counter-balance the legacy fluff from the 80s and 90s that said girls can only be in the all-girls faction and no where else. Apparently this is going to change. But I still have to say "apparently" because until such a time that I can make that purchase it isn't true.

Pwoor, that really is some reaching you're doing there pal. 1/2 of the starter box doesn't make a token faction, dismissing future plans as not counting is just moving the goalposts, and your pathological hatred for GW doesn't really belong in this thread.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Until 49.6% of models are female, I will continue to complain on the internet. I want what I want!!!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

females

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:females:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not this again. :cripes:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hamshot posted:

Pwoor, that really is some reaching you're doing there pal. 1/2 of the starter box doesn't make a token faction, dismissing future plans as not counting is just moving the goalposts, and your pathological hatred for GW doesn't really belong in this thread.

That's misreading what I meant by token, but it's not like you ever actually read what I write. I'm also not the one moving the goalposts. I'm doing the exact opposite of that thing you're saying I'm doing. I'm saying right now there are no mixed gender gangs and there's no way to purchase one and that's what I'm being critical of. All my original post said was that it's good GW have acknowledged this but it hasn't changed yet.

I didn't bring up the topic. I just replied to a discussion that was already happening, but whatever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

I'm happy to drop it, I just don't like being misrepresented.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's misreading what I meant by token, but it's not like you ever actually read what I write. I'm also not the one moving the goalposts. I'm doing the exact opposite of that thing you're saying I'm doing. I'm saying right now there are no mixed gender gangs and there's no way to purchase one and that's what I'm being critical of. All my original post said was that it's good GW have acknowledged this but it hasn't changed yet.

I didn't bring up the topic. I just replied to a discussion that was already happening, but whatever.

Ah yes, the whole "didn't read what i wrote" defense, the last refuge of the man who is out of anything to say. Right before commenting on my comments about your comments too.

Please, stop making GBS threads up every thread but the mantic one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hamshot posted:

Ah yes, the whole "didn't read what i wrote" defense, the last refuge of the man who is out of anything to say. Right before commenting on my comments about your comments too.

Please, stop making GBS threads up every thread but the mantic one.

It's weird how personal you make this every single time I make a post.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's weird how personal you make this every single time I make a post.

says the boy who says i never read what he writes as a defense

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, that's it, pistols at dawn

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
WTF is it with all the GW apologists recently?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Okay, that's it, pistols at dawn

The British term for this is ‘handbags at dawn’.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

There's a great many lovely things GW does. The predatory and creepy way their management and single-man store employees operate, their lack of commitment to certain lines and armies, their inconsistent prices across territories, the shitshow that was inferno, how overpriced their kits are, how grossly overpriced and their paintbrushes and paints are, and how they gutted fantasy and shat all over fans of that setting.

Then you get shitlords like Atlas Shrugged swooping in to crow about petulant bullshit that aren't even the real issues, when confronted dropping to petty and trite arguments at the hope they drag someone else down to their level and beat them with experience, making GBS threads up completely unrelated threads like this one.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hamshot posted:

There's a great many lovely things GW does. The predatory and creepy way their management and single-man store employees operate, their lack of commitment to certain lines and armies, their inconsistent prices across territories, the shitshow that was inferno, how overpriced their kits are, how grossly overpriced and their paintbrushes and paints are, and how they gutted fantasy and shat all over fans of that setting.

Then you get shitlords like Atlas Shrugged swooping in to crow about petulant bullshit that aren't even the real issues, when confronted dropping to petty and trite arguments at the hope they drag someone else down to their level and beat them with experience, making GBS threads up completely unrelated threads like this one.

Or, and consider this for a second, maybe they have a reasonable and not particularly controversial point, one faction and only one faction having women is exactly tokenism like they said, and you are having a hysterical meltdown over someone having a different opinion of one aspect of toy army mans from a widely acknowledged Bad Company, and you need to stop following them around screaming and flailing wildly because it makes you look like a loving mentalist. I mean, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
whoa where'd all the MRA twats come from all of a sudden?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Warhams. Warhams never changes.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Moola posted:

whoa where'd all the MRA twats come from all of a sudden?

goatface posted:

Warhams. Warhams never changes.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Or, and consider this for a second, maybe they have a reasonable and not particularly controversial point, one faction and only one faction having women is exactly tokenism like they said, and you are having a hysterical meltdown over someone having a different opinion of one aspect of toy army mans from a widely acknowledged Bad Company, and you need to stop following them around screaming and flailing wildly because it makes you look like a loving mentalist. I mean, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Woah woah woah, settle down sparky. Hysterical meltdown? Following them to this thread that should be completely unrelated to gw-is-a-bad-company discussion? Mentalist? Touch a nerve, did I?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hamshot posted:

Woah woah woah, settle down sparky. Hysterical meltdown? Following them to this thread that should be completely unrelated to gw-is-a-bad-company discussion? Mentalist? Touch a nerve, did I?

You suck.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

:magical:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Please stop.

I feel that a good suggestion for this thread is implementing the no picture = probation rule as seen in other threads on the forum. Thoughts?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it would just end up full of gundams again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goatface posted:

Nah, it would just end up full of gundams again.
So, miles better than what it is now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're too easy to find, it wouldn't slow anything down.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fathis Munk posted:

GW 'apologists' aren't actually a thing on SA. There's people who like GW products and complain about legitimate grievances, and then there's the pathological sadbrains who can't shut up about GW being some sort of physical embodiment of evil, and soil every tangentially related thread with their lackwit werreting.

See this example:

SiKboy posted:

Wherein he's prattling on about how the evil 'Bad Company' is indulging in tokenism in a game where 50% of the released models are women.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

These are great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress off with the 'females' poo poo and post funny pictures

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If we wanted hot takes on warhams we'd be reading a different thread, make with the lovingly detailed monstrosities and the sloppy paint jobs, maybe even in the same picture.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wrong thread?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i dont even know anymore

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A strong mounting point, low centre of gravity for stability.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

I suddenly have a strong desire to build a few squads of 'crons like this...

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Low orbital ion cannon deployed...
Dowsing function activated...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

Until 49.6% of models are female, I will continue to complain on the internet. I want what I want!!!

Broken Record Talk posted:

I suddenly have a strong desire to build a few squads of 'crons like this...

yeah I aint surprised

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm the malformed feet