Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

It seems as if Sessions has mostly given up on marijuana enforcement. I was concerned as well but it appears to be a a non-issue.

My opinion is that the Trump/Sessions axis was significantly depowered after Sessions recused himself from the Russia case. That seems to have permanently made an enemy of him in Trump's mind. Remember the public shaming? Sessions wanted full on culture war but he doesn't have the ability to do it anymore. He's just doing petty poo poo like suing Harvard for not letting in enough white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Canadian Tory read an anti cannabis poem in parliament https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...source=vicefbca

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/936652621716258816

I want to protest an ill thought out bill,
that is passing through parliament here on the hill,
The bill that is bad is called C-45,
It has so many flaws it just shouldn't survive,
The Grits will allow four pot plants in each dwelling,
Regardless of how bad each place will be smelling,
With mold, ventilation as issues unplanned,
This bill will not keep pot from our children's hand,
There are more new infractions within this new rule,
That our courts will be flooded as will every school,
With drug impaired driving and challenges there,
The doubling of traffic deaths and Liberals don't care,
The provinces and police in every town,
Have all asked the Liberals to slow this bill down,
With nearly 200 more days left til the day,
Nobody but our party stands in the way,
We hope that the senate will do its true deed,
And keep our great country safe from all the weed.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Thanks for sharing that god-awful poetry. Honestly, for as much as it's a huge deal that Canada will be the second country in the world to legalize, it doesn't seem we're hearing a lot about it here in the US, and when I was living in Canada this summer I didn't hear much discussion about it (maybe because everyone in Montreal just smokes it already regardless). For goons living in Canada, has next year's legalization been huge news or not?

Speaking of which, though I've been following this topic for several years, it occurred to me recently that I hadn't heard much about Cannabis in Uruguay in a while, despite their legalizing in 2013. Turns out that they *really* slow-rolled the process; private and club cultivation got sorted out in 2014, but it took them about 43 months to actually figure out commercial sales.

Net result in Uruguay since summer 2017:
-- If you're an Uruguayan and over 18, you can register with the government as a cannabis consumer.
-- As a registered consumer you can go to one of the 16 pharmacies in the country authorized to sell cannabis.
-- Each pharmacy sells two standardized products provided by government cultivators: "Alfa 1" and "Beta 1", both under 15% THC
-- Packages of weed are standardized at 5g, costing US$6.50.
-- Registered consumers have to sign in with a thumbprint, and can buy 10g per week, with a max possession of 40g/mo.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/19/uruguay-marijuana-sale-pharmacies

So pretty unlike the "Starbucks of Weed" that you see in US legal states, and more of a Soylent Green utilitarian model. Also I'd imagine that at 16 pharmacies for 3.4 million people, that's well under US ratios. Denver for example is 650,000 people and has 150 dispensaries.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that people are just sticking with the black market rather than mess with the pharmacies, since there are barely 5,000 people registered as consumers (I don't know if that number includes private growers and club members, which would mean even fewer customers). Back when the bill was first proposed, they expected to have 70,000 consumers nationwide. Another sign that people are probably sticking with the gray market, is that a pharmacy interviewed for the article remarked that they sold 15 packets of weed in their first hour as a dispensary, which sounds pretty underwhelming. In whatever case, legal weed doesn't appear to have turned Uruguay into a blighted hellscape, but I think Canada going full-legal will get much wider attention.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 4, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That sounds like a pretty bad and dumb setup.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Cicero posted:

That sounds like a pretty bad and dumb setup.

Considering that 2/3 of the country was opposed to the idea when the president pitched it in 2012-2013, and the new president that was elected in 2014 is an oncologist and anti-drug, I'd say it's remarkable that it happened at all. Uruguay is a really interesting case that has gotten very little attention.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Thanks for sharing that god-awful poetry. Honestly, for as much as it's a huge deal that Canada will be the second country in the world to legalize, it doesn't seem we're hearing a lot about it here in the US, and when I was living in Canada this summer I didn't hear much discussion about it (maybe because everyone in Montreal just smokes it already regardless). For goons living in Canada, has next year's legalization been huge news or not?

It's huge news, I hear about it daily.

Most newspapers are spreading conservative/police propaganda. "There isn't enough time to train police", "People will die", "The smell is too bad".

Here's what Manitoba Public Insurance and MADD has put out for "don't weed and drive": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rweCu1hBK8I

Online news sources are a bit better, many people who actually want legal Cannabis to be a thing are interviewing people from Colorado and other legal states to get an idea of how the framework is going to work.

Pretty much anywhere there is a Conservative provincial government they are just sitting on their hands and letting the Cannabis industry slip through their fingers. Manitoba for instance has Brian Pallister repeatedly stating there is not enough time to make any decisions. While he's not doing anything, BC is ramping up their online distribution, as of right now I can literally order weed online from BC without using any VPNs or tor browser. When Cannabis is legal all that tax revenue will be moving out of the province if they can't make it easier than going online and ordering.

Also it's very shocking that I've met more than one person who wants Cannabis to be illegal because it smells bad. Do they not understand how bad of a reason that is?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A lot of anti-cigarette legislation is probably because of that as well. No one ever has to admit that, "secondhand smoke kills" is a perfect alibi, but if it were odorless I doubt laws governing where you can smoke wouldn't be nearly as widespread, despite being more dangerous.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's the transformation of a huge business from "almost no rules" (because of illegality of it) to the exact thing the current industry doesn't want - massive rules because the argument of "cannabis should be like a prescription drug" winning in the courts - and drugs are a highly regulated industry.

Where as basically consumers want it treated like a pack of cigarettes - different types available at the corner store with consistency of product.

A lot of what's going on now is backroom stuff which the general public doesn't see/hear/experience.

So yeah, it's (IMHO) medium news at the moment, but getting much (much) larger the closer to the introduction of the new laws will be as business starts figuring out what the new boundaries are and how to make money with it and how to kick out the competition. Much of this will be analysed and then used in other markets.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
DC update: for three years now it's been legal to grow/possess/consume cannabis in Washington DC, but Congressional budget riders (since DC is run by the federal government) bar DC from spending any funds to establish a Cannabis Control Board to license commercial sales. The result is constant gray-market activity, and cops busting illegal dealers, coincidentally mostly in poor and minority neighborhoods.

The rider for 2018 is in progress; the Senate version doesn't have the anti-weed clause but the House version does, so depending on how they reconcile those, DC may have stores next year.

https://merryjane.com/news/new-senate-bill-could-end-ban-on-legal-cannabis-sales-in-washington-dc

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I live in Uruguay if anyone has any questions about how the system down here works. Big intro: you can either sign up to grow weed or buy it in pharmacies, but can't be in both systems at the same time. I can legally grow up to 6 plants and technically harvest 500g a year, but the 'amount' rule is not enforced at all really.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Baka-nin posted:

A Canadian Tory read an anti cannabis poem in parliament https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...source=vicefbca

Reminds me of how a couple people used John Donne's "No Man is an Island" as a counter to the "my body, my business" argument for legalization.

Never mind that the proper question is not whether certain people's actions affect others at all, but whether they affect others to such a degree that prohibition is in society's best interests (and in the case of cannabis, all available evidence points toward "gently caress no"). Otherwise, the logical conclusion of using that poem like that is full-blown fascism.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tosk posted:

I live in Uruguay if anyone has any questions about how the system down here works. Big intro: you can either sign up to grow weed or buy it in pharmacies, but can't be in both systems at the same time. I can legally grow up to 6 plants and technically harvest 500g a year, but the 'amount' rule is not enforced at all really.

You just answered one of my questions ré whether you can be both a self-grower and a pharmacy buyer. Thanks!

Do you have any interest in helping out with the "Cannabis in Uruguay" article on either Spanish and English Wikipedia? Whether editing directly, or just pointing me at Uruguayan news sources that answer key questions.

EDIT: basically by helping find fun-facts, like this article noting that even before pharmacy sales began, the illegal cannabis market had taken a 20% hit:

http://www.busqueda.com.uy/nota/previo-la-venta-en-farmacias-la-ley-de-marihuana-roba-al-narcotrafico-cerca-de-20-del-mercado

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 6, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Thought y'all might enjoy this opinion piece from Zimbabwe:

quote:

Has anyone told the kids that Whitney Houston, the Greatest Love of All hit maker, drowned in the bathroom of a Beverly Hills hotel suite in 2012 after getting high on cocaine? Has anybody taken the time to tell the kids that Lisa Robin Kelly, the sweet and funny star of hit TV series That 70s Show, died of multiple drug intoxication in 2013? Will anyone let the kids know that that Cory Monteith, the musician and star of hit TV series Glee, died after he ingested a toxic mix of heroin and alcohol?

Has any pro-marijuana activist told the kids that Chris Kelly, one half of rap duo Kriss Kross, which is famous for releasing the hit song Jump Jump, died of a drug overdose in 2014? Has anyone bothered to tell the kids that Academy Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, star of Boogie Nights The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr Ripley, Almost Famous, Punch-Drunk Love and Mission impossible III, died of an acute mix of drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine?

Has nobody has bothered to tell the kids that nobody really knows what Jimi Hendrix died of? But something he ingested or inhaled on September 18, 1970, led to his sad demise at the tender age of 27. Do not legalise mbanje.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Mods please change thread name to mbanje megathread

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

You just answered one of my questions ré whether you can be both a self-grower and a pharmacy buyer. Thanks!

Do you have any interest in helping out with the "Cannabis in Uruguay" article on either Spanish and English Wikipedia? Whether editing directly, or just pointing me at Uruguayan news sources that answer key questions.

EDIT: basically by helping find fun-facts, like this article noting that even before pharmacy sales began, the illegal cannabis market had taken a 20% hit:

http://www.busqueda.com.uy/nota/previo-la-venta-en-farmacias-la-ley-de-marihuana-roba-al-narcotrafico-cerca-de-20-del-mercado

Sure, I'm interested. What kind of key questions can I help with? I would also eventually be willing to help with the Wikipedia articles for both languages, but I should read up a little more thoroughly before I do that.

EDIT: I actually hadn't seen your post further up the page!

I live near one of the pharmacies that sell weed. I can probably ask them anything you're curious about specifically. I would say people definitely favor the black market over pharmacy weed still; I know numerous people involved in the system (I would say that number you cited is probably just for pharmacies, and then I feel like I recall seeing the number 3000 tossed about for registered self-growers) that buy legally, but there's a common notion that the weed itself is lower quality than what you can buy on the street.

There's kind of a disparity here depending on your socioeconomic status: a lot of people who don't have the cash for "cogollo," which literally means "bud," buy compressed brickweed because it's so much cheaper. I would say legalization has definitely affected the sale of that brickweed, because buying in pharmacies is cheaper, legal, and lacks the hassle of going through a dealer. Anecdotally, most of the people I know who now buy weed in pharmacies are people who used to buy brickweed. People who have the money seem to prefer to buy higher quality bud (it goes for anywhere between 85-100 for 25 grams here, which is just shy of an ounce).

A LOT of people plant weed here, way more than the numbers of registered growers would imply. Police are extremely lenient about it, and the highest risk you really run when you grow illegally is that someone will steal your poo poo. My father and I grew illegally for several years, then he stopped and I decided to register because my plants are at their house. I would say that out of 20 people I know who grow weed, 5 are registered, and maybe one of them besides myself actually follows the legal restrictions about how many plants you're allowed to have etc.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 6, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Do they sell by strain name? Is there CDB and CBN available?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lisa Robin Kelly, the sweet and funny star

50/200 episodes.
Star?

:thunk:

SgtScruffy posted:

Mods please change thread name to mbanje megathread

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dmitri-9 posted:

Do they sell by strain name? Is there CDB and CBN available?

That ties to my question: what's the difference between Alfa 1 and Beta 1 in Uruguayan pharmacies? Is it the CBD/THC ratio, different strain, or what? I presume they're supposed to be similar quality since price is the same.

Have they no interest in expanding the government options, or might there be a Gamma 1 and Delta 1 weed varieties someday?

EDIT: is the brickweed generally assumed to be Paraguayan?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 6, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
nooooo not kris kross....why must marijuana take everything I love

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

nooooo not kris kross....why must marijuana take everything I love

He did one weed too many...

Wikipedia posted:

Thurston completed the inquest on September 28, and concluded that Hendrix aspirated his own vomit and died of asphyxia while intoxicated with barbiturates.[284] Citing "insufficient evidence of the circumstances", he declared an open verdict.[285] Dannemann later revealed that Hendrix had taken nine of her prescribed Vesparax sleeping tablets, 18 times the recommended dosage.[286]

But it could've been mbanje; guess we'll never know...

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 6, 2017

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Unless you count Alpha/Beta, they don't sell by strain name. The difference is that one is indica and the other sativa dominant, although I've heard some odd-sounding numbers thrown around, that they're both at 2% THC, 7% and 6% CBD respectively. Seems off to me, but that might play into why people say that the quality is so low and only preferable to brickweed.

I think I've heard about plans to bring out more varieties.

I wouldn't say it's considered to literally be of Paraguayan origin, but the slang term for brickweed is "paraguayo" or "prensado" (which just means 'pressed' or 'compressed').

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/938550088632283136

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Tosk posted:

Unless you count Alpha/Beta, they don't sell by strain name. The difference is that one is indica and the other sativa dominant, although I've heard some odd-sounding numbers thrown around, that they're both at 2% THC, 7% and 6% CBD respectively. Seems off to me, but that might play into why people say that the quality is so low and only preferable to brickweed.

I think I've heard about plans to bring out more varieties.

I wouldn't say it's considered to literally be of Paraguayan origin, but the slang term for brickweed is "paraguayo" or "prensado" (which just means 'pressed' or 'compressed').

Sounds like Swiss style CBD cigarettes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
@Tosk: if you're down to help out with Uruguay weed coverage on Wikipedia, ping me on my burner account there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Goonsquad_LCpl_Mulvaney

Just hit "new section" at the top of the page and type your message. You can either just post as an IP without login, or take 30 seconds and create an account (which will make it easier to collaborate). No pressure, even small efforts help.

And if anyone else wants to work on weed Wikipedia coverage, just ping me at that link.

Separate question: if one is buying weed in a non-legal state, is some/lot of it in commercial packaging from a legal state? Like instead of just baggies are more Idaho street dealers selling stuff bought off the shelf in Oregon and having a more credible product since it's of clear origin? Or is diverted weed/edibles repackaged for illegal sale?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Let me kick some retro ganja knowledge:

Short notice of the African Plant Diamba, commonly called Congo Tobacco; by E. O. Clarke, Esa., Surgeon and Colonial Apothecary to the Colony of Sierra Leone: communicated by the Author. (1851)

quote:

A story is told of its discovery by a huntsman, who observed a number of antelopes, who had browsed upon the Diamba, to be stupified; and having informed his neighbours of the extraordinary circumstance, they repaired in a body to the spot. The approach of the people, or firing of their muskets, had, however, no effect in rousing the animals to a sense of their danger, and accordingly they were all quickly despatched.

It is well known to the Portuguese on this coast. Its seed was brought to Sierra Leone by Congoes captured by one of our cruisers, and is now distributed over the colony. It is chiefly cultivated and prepared by these people or their descendants, but it is also grown by the Akoos, Eboes, and many of the other liberated African tribes, and likewise by the Maroons, Settlers, and Creoles.

The average height of this annual bushy shrub here varies from six to seven feet, but in fertile soils it attains the height of twelve or thirteen feet; and some of the larger plants occupy a space of twenty feet in circumference!

It is sown in April or May, and shoots up in three or four days, but its growth is, from time to time, retarded by nipping off the points of the top and lateral branches. It flowers in August, ripens in October or November, when the flowers are plucked off. In December the leaves are removed, when it withers, and is rooted up, the branches being tied up and used as brooms. A second crop, sown in September, and watered during the dry season, ripens in January or February.

The flowers, exposed to the sun or fire, slowly dried, and mixed with the seed, are the parts of the plant preferred, and in this state the drug is termed Maconie. The leaflets are similarly prepared, but only employed when the former cannot be procured, as this preparation, called MaMah, is apt to cause violent headache.

It is smoked from a large wooden pipe or reed, called Condo, or from a small calabash, but common clay-pipes are also used: it is extensively consumed by many of the liberated Africans and Creoles, who frequently meet at each other's houses, to enjoy the luxury and soothing influence of Diamba. Upon these occasions the pipe is handed about from mouth to mouth, and soon produces the desired intoxicating effect. The smoke, twice or thrice drawn into the mouth, is there detained, and a large portion is swallowed, as it slowly passes off by the nostrils: most agreeable sensations soon follow, and excitement displays itself in hearty bursts of laughter, loud exclamations, droll exhilarating conversation; but, as the debauch proceeds, its full effects are developed. Temporary frenzy seizes the smokers, and they issue from their haunts, singing and shouting, as they reel and stagger to their homes. Intense and maddening headache, accompanied with stupor, is often the result of these orgies, and the latter consequence generally lasts for twelve hours.

One pipe charged with this powerful drug, is enough to produce in four persons the most delightful exaltation without injury, and it is much esteemed by the natives as a remedy for cough, pains in the chest and stomach.

Diamba is vended under the names of Maconie* and Makiah: the former is made up into very small packets, which are sold at one halfpenny each, the latter into larger ones for the same sum. A small plant in full flower and seed will yield to its owner the value of ten shillings'-worth of Maconie.

I'll be an old for a moment and mention it still blows my mind that I can just pull up on my phone entire 1851 botany journals and instantly see where they mention cannabis. I can't imagine how many months of research it used to take to manually go through books trying to find mentions of things.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

most agreeable sensations soon follow, and excitement displays itself in hearty bursts of laughter, loud exclamations, droll exhilarating conversation

Wanna hear that 1850s stoner chat. :allears:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

WampaLord posted:

Wanna hear that 1850s stoner chat. :allears:

How many times are you willing to hear the antelope story over and over?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Let me kick some retro ganja knowledge:

Short notice of the African Plant Diamba, commonly called Congo Tobacco; by E. O. Clarke, Esa., Surgeon and Colonial Apothecary to the Colony of Sierra Leone: communicated by the Author. (1851)

I'll be an old for a moment and mention it still blows my mind that I can just pull up on my phone entire 1851 botany journals and instantly see where they mention cannabis. I can't imagine how many months of research it used to take to manually go through books trying to find mentions of things.

kind of strange to see it referred to like this, the western world first written record of cannabis usage dates back to 500 BC

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We keep forgetting that we discovered it already.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kind of strange to see it referred to like this, the western world first written record of cannabis usage dates back to 500 BC

Are you referring to Herodotus describing the Scythians?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Exactly what do you guys think the burning bush was in the Bible. Seems pretty clear to me...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rhymenoserous posted:

Exactly what do you guys think the burning bush was in the Bible. Seems pretty clear to me...

It was a literal burning bush because there are actual bushes out there that essentially coat themselves in kerosene for the hot summer months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictamnus

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Are you referring to Herodotus describing the Scythians?

yes, pretty sure that's the earliest written record outside india and china

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This just happened this week and I haven't seen it mentioned in international media, but apparently Norway is pulling a Portugal and decriminalizing (*not* legalizing) all drugs: https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/rusmidler/historisk-i-stortinget-slutt-paa-straff-for-rusmisbrukere/a/24209948/

gTranslate posted:

Drug use should no longer be punished, but treated. The majority in the Storting now makes a historic transformation of Norwegian drug policy, and will transfer responsibility from Justis to health.

"It is important to emphasize that we do not legalize cannabis and other drugs, but we decriminalize," said Sveinung Stensland (H), deputy chairman of the Storting Health Committee.

"The change will take some time, but that means a changed vision: Those who have a substance abuse problem should be treated as ill, and not as criminals with classical sanctions such as fines and imprisonment," says Stensland to VG.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yes, pretty sure that's the earliest written record outside india and china

Right, but up until the modern era evidence of psychoactive use of cannabis is somewhat uncommon in Europe, no?

In the same way a British guy is finding it novel in Sierra Leone in the mid-1800s, at the start of the 1800s the French troops in Egypt were pretty blown away by the weed down there.

I'm not saying that nobody in Europe smoked/ate weed, just that they did a lot of low-THC hemp farming and not a lot of smoking it, and once the habit started to filter into Europe from the Islamic world and from India in the 1800s, it was seen as really novel.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was a literal burning bush because there are actual bushes out there that essentially coat themselves in kerosene for the hot summer months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictamnus

That's a very hostile plant: mildly poisonous, occasionally catches fire. XP: 20.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Ghana also in the running for potentially decriminalizing all drugs: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2017-08-09-west-africa-reform-agenda-looks-to-decriminalise-drug-use/#.WjO3sEtG2T8

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is anyone here proficient in German? I'm trying to flesh out Cannabis in Austria, and trying to find GoogleNews hits to establish two facts:

-- Cannabis was decriminalized in Austria around 2015-2016?
-- It's legal to have clones and cuttings in Austria if you aren't using them for narcotics? (Leafly has a write-up on this but I'd like to find a mainstream news article to substantiate)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If anyone is reasonably good at The Twitter, I'm a total novice but want to set up an account to do weed advocacy. If you have Twitter skills and wouldn't mind answering some noob questions about getting started, shoot me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Is anyone here proficient in German? I'm trying to flesh out Cannabis in Austria, and trying to find GoogleNews hits to establish two facts:

-- Cannabis was decriminalized in Austria around 2015-2016?
-- It's legal to have clones and cuttings in Austria if you aren't using them for narcotics? (Leafly has a write-up on this but I'd like to find a mainstream news article to substantiate)

Owning less than 20g of THC was decriminalised in Austria with the start of the year 2016. Before that date, police had to file charges against owners of any amount, but proceedings were usually stopped early on if the amount was small. Now the police is asked to report the drug use to public health authorities, who then reviews the case and might mandate therapy. If people resist this they can be charged under the old law and even might be charged for merely consuming which wasn't prosecuted at all before.

It is technically legal to own and raise plants with a THC content of less than 0.3% and if it is raised for an intent different than creating drugs, but in reality police will try to charge you most of the time if they find plants.

So conclusively the situation hasn't really improved a lot, but the law is now expecting authorities to prefer therapy over punishment.