Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Distant Worlds has very unimpressive diplomacy and non-existent politics but if you like building an empire, based around securing resources basically then its rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's kind of unimpressive from a strict gameplay-decision sense because all the automated economics amount to 'more planets, more territory, mo money' and 'if you need an injection of cash, change your civilian ships'.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Well I don't mind if it's not impressive but again, I am comparing off of Stellaris which would (at least used to) take an energy rich planet and build farms all over it!

Then again I am not sure what you'd particularly want to automate but then again it seems like a preference thing, all in all. Some people floated the idea of running a purely diplomatic/constructive but if said diplomacy is shite, then I doubt that'd be fun.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

SkySteak posted:

Well I don't mind if it's not impressive but again, I am comparing off of Stellaris which would (at least used to) take an energy rich planet and build farms all over it!

Then again I am not sure what you'd particularly want to automate but then again it seems like a preference thing, all in all. Some people floated the idea of running a purely diplomatic/constructive but if said diplomacy is shite, then I doubt that'd be fun.

Don't listen to these dorks, Distant Worlds Universe is my favorite space 4x of all time and it's loving awesome. I play full-manual and it is awesome, and when I get real high I still like to watch ships fly around so I just let Jesus take the wheel while I go see stars of my own. Diplomacy works but isn't exactly thrilling. Go nuts. Have fun. It's your space sandbox.

Also: for reals, get the Distant Worlds Extended Universe mod. It's good! It does nothing but add a ton of races and make the race pictures not poo poo.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 1, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Game is super fun, the AI is passable and the diplomacy system lets you engineer galactic wars purely so the resulting refugees populate your new colonies faster

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dtkozl posted:

Lmao, 20 dollars. I love empire deluxe but unless they add some stuff like a good modern multiplayer setup and some modding tools that is a hard pass.

I believe it has multiplayer (haven't looked at it) and its effectively able to be modded by anyone. The AI can be re-written from C(++? or #?).

The new game version has recon and armed satellites, missiles, nukes, and about 30 unit types. You still can play it like the original 1980's version if you want.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SkySteak posted:

So the automation on Distant Worlds: Universe is pretty impressive, allowing the game to literally just be ran without any player input. After Stellaris, the idea of an AI running the any part of an empire seems absolutely shocking, given what happens with sectors. I suppose it doesn't help that a lot of games in featured in this thread usually have no or little AI at all. Does DW actually have the AI run thing properly?

Then again, from what I am seeing it seems like Distant Worlds is not the dizzying in complexity like Command or War in the __, so it might just be better to jump in.

You can adjust the AI's priorities and stuff. It works well enough to keep your empire going strong, though obviously if you manage things yourself it can be done better.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Please tell me about that expansion that lets you play as Jabba the Hutt.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Comstar posted:

I believe it has multiplayer (haven't looked at it) and its effectively able to be modded by anyone. The AI can be re-written from C(++? or #?).

The new game version has recon and armed satellites, missiles, nukes, and about 30 unit types. You still can play it like the original 1980's version if you want.

20 dollars for the opportunity to code something in C? Brother, sign me up!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

1. First thing is extremely important and will help you make sense of this poo poo - go to Player Options -> Page 2 -> Edit Counter Values, and click the blank line 2nd from the bottom to enable "Unit Time Stamps" on the counters. This will add a new option you can cycle through (along with Unit Strength, Stack Strength, and Movement Allotment) that will tell you which of the 10 rounds in a turn a unit is on. This was critical to understanding how the movement of my units around the board during a turn would affect how many rounds combat took to resolve. I pretty much sit on this setting 90% of the time, until I need to plan combat and see my unit strengths. Why in the gently caress this is not a default boggles my mind.

This made a huge difference. Holy poo poo. I played Kasserine Pass and was actually able to do stuff. It made sense when you moved a column, saw what step they were on, and could plan accordingly. I'll have to try Tannenberg again, but now it's feeling right. Thanks man!

There's also a mission .doc guide that went with the tutorial that I didn't realize was there until I clicked it on accident. Then my PC spent 5 minutes trying to install Office2007 even though I have Office2016 installed. :matrix: They need to PDF that poo poo.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 1, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What the actual gently caress

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol always be grogging

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Don't want to install Office 2007 to read the tutorial?? Lol go back to loving Halo you casual

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Any modern-ish games like Close Combat III: The Russian Front?

Basically where you role-play as a captain/major leading a single company thru the entire war with the unrealistic ability to buy/upgrade your own units instead of the game forcing them on you.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wide stance posted:

Basically where you role-play as a captain/major leading a single company thru the entire war with the unrealistic ability to buy/upgrade your own units instead of the game forcing them on you.

Ultimate General: Civil war is similar if you dont mind a setting change

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

wide stance posted:

man I wish :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

fuf posted:

man I wish :(

Agean90 posted:

Ultimate General: Civil war is similar if you dont mind a setting change

Congratulations, your wish was granted before you even wished it.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

wide stance posted:

WinSPWW2 in the WW2 campaign mode :shrug:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Congratulations, your wish was granted before you even wished it.

yeah I've played the poo poo out of the ultimate general games. I wish we had some other options.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

wide stance posted:

Close Combat III is one of the greatest games of all time.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

drat straight. I fired it up last week and I still love it. Wish there was an HD remake.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I wish the back half of the grand campaign wasn't all tanks all the time because close combat as a tank heavy game kinda sucks, but it's really fun playing a multiplayer grand campaign.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

2 is better.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I like the allied grand campaign in II best out of the ones I've tried, because it's very grounded in the real operation, and although you don't have the most strategic choice where your forces go, you can make a difference in the result of the campaign while still being subject to forces outside of your control (such as the speed of XXX Corps). The role that you take is less of an omnipotent god-general and more that of a group of mid-level officers, limited to a vague indication of which unit needs supplies the most. Its a good way of framing a series of small scale battles, IMO.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there any trick to getting CC1, CC2, and CC3 running on Windows 10? Last time I tried to install they just wouldn't launch at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do I know if I have an anniversary coupon from Matrix? I might spend it on TOAW4

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What is a good recentish AEGOD game? I own their WW1 game but it was not very good. I heard the games based more on armies are better.

Is their British Civil war one good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lord Windy posted:

What is a good recentish AEGOD game? I own their WW1 game but it was not very good. I heard the games based more on armies are better.

I'm not going to bandy about with this. The fact is that no AGEOD game is good.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not going to bandy about with this. The fact is that no AGEOD game is good.

"Birth of America II - Wars in America" is self-aware of the engine limitations and does a fairly good job of being a decent game. It's from 2008 though

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Windy posted:

Steer clear of the ECW game. The Thirty Year War game is good, Grey did a LP of it a while ago.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do I know if I have an anniversary coupon from Matrix? I might spend it on TOAW4

If you're logged in, this should work: https://www.matrixgames.com/members/discount.asp

Right side of the logged-in account page under "My Games"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

"Birth of America II - Wars in America" is self-aware of the engine limitations and does a fairly good job of being a decent game. It's from 2008 though

It's by far the best AGEOD game, imo, because, yeah, instead of having to fiddle with corps and armies, while mixing divisions together, you just stack what you need together and it works fine.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Steer clear of the ECW game.
Here's the obligatory Flare Path review.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any good grog games on Android? Was pissed as gently caress to learn how much better iOS is for mobile gaming selection. I'd settle for like Panzer Corps level (but not Open Panzer, which for some reason crashes on startup for me)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Log into your Matrix account and poke around. Somewhere in your profile is a link to “my coupons” or something similar. It’s not easy to find.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Drone posted:

Is there any trick to getting CC1, CC2, and CC3 running on Windows 10? Last time I tried to install they just wouldn't launch at all.

They rereleased pretty much all of them no?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Squiggle posted:

If you're logged in, this should work: https://www.matrixgames.com/members/discount.asp

Right side of the logged-in account page under "My Games"

Ooh, World in Flames is on sale!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Drone posted:

I hear you brother, this was such a loving pain in the rear end to get to work.

I assume you're double-clicking the desktop icon and clicking "play" from the menu that comes up...and nothing happens.

Go to the game's folder, find the game's exe and launch using that.

Now, if you're like me, the next problem you'll get is some 0xc000000002 error or something.

To fix for that is -- somewhere in a Windows setting -- you have a DirectPlay box that needs ticking. I can't remember where this menu is offhand, but it needs to be ticked and then it's smooth sailing.

EDIT: Found it!

Control Panel-->Programs
Expand "Legacy Components" folder
Make sure the DirectPlay subfolder box is checked
Click "OK"

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

skooma512 posted:

They rereleased pretty much all of them no?

They did? I'm still relying on old CD's :shobon: