Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is Shadow War Armageddon still a thing or have they completely forgotten about it in favor of Necromunda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008
SW:A died like two weeks after it came out at my gaming group. We played it a bunch and then it was gone, nothing. Sad cause I really enjoy skirmish based games and am looking forward to Necromunda especially for my crazy chainsaw and flamer dudes getting cool updated models but am dreading it dying before they're even out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm really hoping for a second edition of SW:A based off of 8th edition like the new Necromunda. I'd be super into a skirmish game like that but the gangs don't quite do it for me.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Still do the Blood Angels rules make an all Primaris Army viable?

I already love dreads so this is a dangerous possibility.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Still do the Blood Angels rules make an all Primaris Army viable?

I already love dreads so this is a dangerous possibility.

Yes and no.

The short answer is that the Red Thirst makes your Primaris marines a bit better in assault which can be incredibly useful but there isn't a ton of synergy with the strategems etc.

The long answer is that Primaris are almost entirely built around mid range shooting and there is relatively little in the Blood Angels book that directly benefits this in the way that the tactics from the vanilla codex give. An Imperial Fists Intercessor is objectively better at shooting than one with the Blood Angels keyword. The benefit that all of the Primaris units get with the Blood Angels tactics is that it turns a unit that was already sort of ok at assault into an actual threat with that increased ability to wound. Reivers in particular gain a ton from the Red Thirst. Inceptors might be sort of ok when they charge? At the end of the day it's really hard to quantify exactly how much benefit you get from making your shooty units ok in assault. It's good, but exactly how good will depend on your playstyle.

The relics don't do a ton for Primaris in particular except for the FNP banner goes pretty well on a Primaris Ancient supporting a big blob of Intercessors or something.

I don't think there's a ton of notable strategems that would help Primaris stuff except for Upon Wings of Fire which lets you redeploy a unit of Inceptors for one CP. I personally think this might be the best strategem we've seen yet and it works on anything with a jump pack, meaning that you can shoot the hell out of something on one side of the table and then effectively deep strike to the other side to shoot something else the next turn.

To fully make use of the codex you really do need to take decided assault units which just do not exist in the Primaris range yet. That being said, a mixed force looks really strong to me. I intend to be running my Intercessors, Reivers and Inceptors in support of my Sanguinary Guard and dreadnoughts and I see some real potential.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In had sort of pegged Reivers in as the Primaris version of an assault Marine. I haven't really looked closely at their rules though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

In had sort of pegged Reivers in as the Primaris version of an assault Marine. I haven't really looked closely at their rules though.

They put out a decent quantity of attacks but lack any AP at all aside from on their pistols. They can be useful but are more of a disruption unit than something you expect to get a lot of kills. Blood Angels Reivers are much better than what vanilla marines get though.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Started a local escalation league going, players were Raven Guard, Primaris Ultramarines, Thousand Sons, and my Death Guard. First games were 500pts. We had set a limit that no model could be more than 200pts.

We had enough time that each player got to play the others. Chaos ran the tables, each besting the Imperial lists, and the Chaos-on-Chaos fight literally came down to our two HQs charging each other at the center objective with everything else dead or holding distant points.

Chaos Spawn remain a fantastic buy at 33pts. I fielded three for an Outrider detachment and they were great for keeping objectives and menacing static units. One ripped through a unit of Intercessors, killing three in one turn.

While I did decently, Thousand Sons won the day, going 3-0. How the hell is Ahriman 131pts!? :psyduck:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Arson Fire posted:

Genestealer cults are an infantry horde army.
Tons and tons of little dudes, who all die as easily as guardsmen, but can rip stuff apart in close combat.
They have guns, but they all kind of suck. Close combat is where they want to be.

They play like an insurgency force. Squads of infantry appearing all over the table to take out a target, before vanishing, ready to attack somewhere else.
They have been kind of bad up til now in 8th edition, because they lost the ability to put their squads back into reserve. However Chapter Approved has given them the ability back in the form of a stratagem.
It gives them a surprising amount of mobility.

On the topic of genestealer cults, it seems like the restrictions on number of models in reserve is something you have to build around. Is the general approach to take a bunch of cheap neophytes with no upgrades so that you can reserve the good troops?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I will forever be amused at how Chaos Spawn went from a sick joke that absolutely nobody took to being one of the best melee units in the game

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Played my first ever proper game of 40k today as Tyranids vs Deathwatch with my friend. Don't have my models yet so I was proxying in coins for the smaller units and glasses for the big dudes. Swarmlord was a fat German beer glass, Trygon Prime was a tall thin pint glass and my Flyrant was one of the beer glasses with a long stem.

Turned out to be a really fun game. Didn't get initiative so my Swarmlord never made it past the first turn (RIP), but my Flyrant with rending claws and a miasma cannon and my Genestealers really pulled their weight. Genestealers are loving nuts when they get in close and the 5 up invulnerable really came in handy.

MVP of the game was my Neurothrope that was babysitting my artillery. Basically downed a 400 point kill team that got dropped in from an aircraft by itself with smites and Psychic Screams. Tanked them for about 3 turns with it's 3 up invulnerable.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Booyah- posted:

On the topic of genestealer cults, it seems like the restrictions on number of models in reserve is something you have to build around. Is the general approach to take a bunch of cheap neophytes with no upgrades so that you can reserve the good troops?

I'm thinking of picking up the Genestealer Cults bundle too and what I'm thinking of doing is using an IG detachment via Brood Brothers and having them start on the board while my Cult units go into Cult Ambush.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just to check: there isn’t an older shittier version of the Tyrant/Swarmlord/Flyrant kit, right? Found one in a local store for ten bucks cheaper than the GW listed price and I’m deeply suspicious because this store is usually pretty bad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Just to check: there isn’t an older shittier version of the Tyrant/Swarmlord/Flyrant kit, right? Found one in a local store for ten bucks cheaper than the GW listed price and I’m deeply suspicious because this store is usually pretty bad.
There's an older metal version with identical aesthetics, but it's long gone. It was translated to finecast for a bit though. If that's what you've found, avoid it. Just get the plastic version.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
99% sure it's plastic, it's the one with the Flyrant on the front of the box. Nice, I'll pick it up after the holidays then (and pray for a day warm enough to prime). It's cheaper than the 10% off I would normally get at my FLGS

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

99% sure it's plastic, it's the one with the Flyrant on the front of the box. Nice, I'll pick it up after the holidays then (and pray for a day warm enough to prime). It's cheaper than the 10% off I would normally get at my FLGS
Oh, if it has the flying version on the box, that is absolutely the plastic model.

The old metal one was on foot with no wing options.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

In a moment of weakness while Christmas shopping I bought myself the deathwatch start collecting box because the best space marine chapter is all of them simultaneously.

What's the do's and dont's of building kill teams? I get the feeling I want to load them with special weapons and keep them in cover but I like the idea of as many shotguns + powerswords as possible loaded into a blackstar.

I kitted mine out all crazy and i regret it. Shotguns + Powerswords is good.

So is the frag cannon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think SWA will still have a place as part of a larger campaign. A few games of special forces battles would be really cool, even if you don't manage a full SWA campaign.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think SWA will still have a place as part of a larger campaign. A few games of special forces battles would be really cool, even if you don't manage a full SWA campaign.

Yeah, this is how we use it and it works.

It seems pretty clear that it was never meant to be a fully-supported product, though

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wish there were a few more options for each army. I really hate scouts, so I'd like to see more ability to take marines/reivers for SM forces, or more stealth suits for tau

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I wish there were a few more options for each army. I really hate scouts, so I'd like to see more ability to take marines/reivers for SM forces, or more stealth suits for tau

I was just thinking to myself that it would really cool to have Reivers in a skirmish game.

I didn't completely love SWA from a mechanics perspective and would like to see it updated with a more modern system but I'd honestly be perfectly happy with a new version of Kill Team.

Fake edit: Kill team rules would have been a really good inclusion for Chapter Approved.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Primaris Leviathan Dreadnought!

Now back to more painting.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 3, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I present to you, the evolution of a Fire Dragon.

Boon circa 1998.

Boon circa 2012.

Boon circa today (in progress).

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I'm in the market for an airbrush, does anyone have any recommendations or things to look for? I'm just tired of taking years to paint vehicles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsOptional posted:

Nah that's it, its been around for a long time so lots of people have old tyrant kits for a bit cheaper. :)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cainer posted:

I'm in the market for an airbrush, does anyone have any recommendations or things to look for? I'm just tired of taking years to paint vehicles.

Badger Patriot 105

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Floppychop posted:

Badger Patriot 105

Thank you, I'll give it a look see. I also need to look up how these things work and if I need new paints or need to water the ones I have down differently.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished this cute guy tonight

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Floppychop posted:

Badger Patriot 105

Yeah this

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Finished this cute guy tonight

Absolutely sick, colour choice is really good there mate.

Boon posted:

Boon circa today (in progress).

Similarly, really good colour pick and I like your blended highlights.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Guess how old the painter of this filthboi is.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Floppychop posted:

Badger Patriot 105

Or Renegade, it does away with the floating venturi.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Frobbe posted:

I'll wager "depressingly young".

Our local Armies On Parade had a Deathwatch army painted by a 14 year old that put all of us to shame.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
On 8th ed Kill Team chat I asked the guy in charge of the studio for a new 8th ed Kill Team and they said they'll think about it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Frobbe posted:

Considering they’re already appropriately using technicals that model could really do with a wash.

I do like the extra skeleton tossed in, but the naked base is a little meh.

...I’m critiquing a seven year old, aren’t I?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Floppychop posted:

Badger Patriot 105

I prefer painting with the Bagger 288, but to each their own.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pendent posted:

The short answer is that the Red Thirst makes your Primaris marines a bit better in assault which can be incredibly useful but there isn't a ton of synergy with the strategems etc.
Wait, wait, wait. I thought the whole point of Primaris marines was that the flaws in their geneseeds had been "corrected" by Cawl. How do Primaris Blood Angels still have the Red Thirst?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

Wait, wait, wait. I thought the whole point of Primaris marines was that the flaws in their geneseeds had been "corrected" by Cawl. How do Primaris Blood Angels still have the Red Thirst?

Cawl's not as good as he thinks he is :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Because Cawl doesn't actually know what he's doing.