Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Let's check it out. May as well get the adventure rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You pull the covers up over your head and try to go back to sleep. After all, Abbey said the story about the knight wasn't true.

You can't sleep. There's another shriek. And another. The screaming grows louder and more chilling. And it's getting closer! That last one seemed to come from just outside your door!

Wait. What's that? Something is moving at the foot of your bed. You strain your eyes to see in the darkness. You immediately wish you hadn't. A shadowy figure seems to hover at your feet, ready to attack. "It's the knight!" you shout as you spring up in bed.

quote:

"Yeah. It's the middle of the night to be exact," the shadow answers.

You recognize her voice. "Abbey!" you gasp. "What are you doing in my room?"

"I heard you screaming," she says, holding her hands over her ears. "Horrible, horrible screams. What's going on here? I'm trying to get some sleep!"

"Evil," Kip whispers as he peeks through the doorway behind Abbey. "That's what's going on here." In the dim rays of the hall night-light you see panic on Kip's face.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Abbey scolds her brother. "The only evil going on here is that I'm losing my beauty sleep! This screaming simply has to stop! Now shut your mouth and go back to bed!"

"It won't stop," Kip insists. "It's the curse. I know it. We shouldn't have brought that rusty old armor. Now we've awoken the spirit of the Evil Knight. There's no escaping it. Not for the Saxtons!"

You don't know about this whole curse thing. But one thing you do know. There's no way you can go back to sleep and pretend you don't hear the screams. The Knight in Screaming Armor cannot and will not be ignored.

quote:

"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Another shriek fills the night. Kip and Abbey are as wide-awake as you are. The piercing screams draw the three of you together at your bedside. You grab each of your cousins by the hand.

"We have to go out to the garage and investigate," you declare. "We have to find out what's out there."

Another scream pierces the air. Abbey forgets how much cooler than you she is for a moment and clutches one of your arms. Kip grabs your other one. You grab a flashlight from your desk and make your way out into the night. You pull your cousins along behind you. Eventually, you come to the garage door. You pause a moment and listen to the screams.

"Well, here goes," you say. You reach down, grab the handle, and lift it open.

quote:

The garage door swings up and out of your way.

Dark was never as dark as this. Monsters seem to lurk in every corner. Familiar forms look strange. The beam of your flashlight cuts past the frightful shadowy figures to the two crates. They stand like tombstones in the middle of the garage. Except that one of them is vibrating. Shaking back and forth.

The light reflects off a label on one of the crates. The one with the curse on it. Then you notice another handwritten label near the top of each crate. One says: EVIL KNIGHT. The other reads: GOOD KNIGHT.

"Which one should we open?" you say nervously.

"Neither!" Kip replies. He seems terrified.

Maybe a little too terrified. You're not sure you buy all this curse stuff. Maybe it's all a big trick. Kip and Abbey could have gotten someone to shout and shake the crate around. Who's really in that "Evil Knight" crate, anyway? you wonder.

Then again. Those screams do sound pretty spooky!

Maybe you should play it safe and open the crate marked GOOD KNIGHT. A suit of armor could come in handy if there is some crazy curse.

If you open the crate marked GOOD KNIGHT, turn to PAGE 33.

If you open the crate marked EVIL KNIGHT, turn to PAGE 49.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/1

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Sod this, let's go back to bed, even if we can't get to sleep. Goodknight.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Oh, there's only one goal ending on this one? Clearly we must do the most intelligent thing and open the crate with the evil knight.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'm betting if you open the one called GOOD KNIGHT it is in fact a terrible pun.

quote:

The crate contains... a lot of pillows! You really would have a GOOD (K)NIGHT, but as you're being attacked by the Saxton Ghost this is THE END.

Or something like that anyway. So obviously, let's open it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Knight!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Good Knight to the screaming knight!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Good Knight.

Also given the author of this one I'm not expecting any shovel-based improvised weaponry.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
How is there only one goal ending? What bullshit awaits us? :ohdear:

Good knight

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But I wanna see the deaaaaaaaaths!

Evil Knight

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"We'll open the Good Knight crate," you decide. You don't want to take any chances. But as soon as you say this, an ear-splitting scream fills the garage. The Evil Knight crate starts rattling again. The armor inside clanks and rumbles and roars.

You cling to Kip. Or is it Abbey? It's hard to tell in the darkness.

The tall Evil Knight crate rocks closer to you. It tips backwards and forwards. Backwards and forwards. If it falls on you, you'll be crushed! You try to pull your cousins out of the way. "Let's bail!" you yell. But you only get a few steps toward the garage door when something blocks your escape route.

"A horrible beast!" Kip cries.

"Aaaahhhh!" Abbey screams as she's jerked away from your side. You accidentally drop your flashlight and it hits the concrete floor with a smack. "There's something wrapped around my leg!" Abbey wails.

"Abbey!" you shout across to her. You start to move to her side, but you feel sharp claws scrape across your cheek.

quote:

You jump back and grab your cheek where claws scraped you. You feel a large welt. You turn away from Abbey and grope along the wall until you find the light switch. CLICK. One bare bulb hanging from the ceiling floods the garage with a dim light. Suddenly, everything gets quiet.

Now you see it. The monster blocking your escape route is a lawn mower.

The sharp-nailed fingers that raked across your cheek are exactly what they felt like - a garden rake.

And the snake coiled so tightly around Abbey's legs is a hose.

"I knew it all along," Abbey says as she throws the hose aside. "This whole thing is ridiculous!

But it isn't over yet. "Eeeeeeeeeeeee!" Whatever's in the EVIL KNIGHT crate demands your attention. The crate lurches forward, knocking Abbey to the ground.

quote:

The hanging lightbulb starts to spin. Kip struggles to lift his sister to her feet. He looks really scared now. It's going to be up to you to do something. But what? Should you open the Evil Knight's crate and confront the enemy - whatever it is? Maybe it's all just a practical joke. You wouldn't put it past Kip, would you?

Then again, maybe there really is a curse. If there is, maybe whatever's in the crate marked GOOD KNIGHT could help you. You'd better open one of them. Which will it be?

If you open the crate marked EVIL KNIGHT, turn to PAGE 49.

If you open the crate marked GOOD KNIGHT, turn to PAGE 38.

Yes, the ghostwriter's making us re-do the choice we just made for no good reason.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

We will not be deterred by bad writing. Onward towards that Good Knight.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Good Knight page number changed, but the Bad Knight page number is the same as last time.

Good Knight, and Good Luck

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can't keep a Good Knight down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

You can't keep a Good Knight down.

I think that's Johnny you're thinking of.

The again, Johnny be good, so...

Good Knight, Gracie

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I wanna open that darn crate obviously full of pillows or something

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Evil Knight! Let's get murdered!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I read this one as a kid! I remember it being obscenely hard and having a lot of bad endings that were nearly impossible to predict.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

I wanna open that darn crate obviously full of pillows or something

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"We have to free the Good Knight," you yell over the screams and the heavy clanking. "Maybe it can help us fight the curse."

"But... but..." Kip sputters fearfully.

"Just open the thing," Abbey snaps, "and get it over with!"

Your fingers fly over the buckled leather straps that hold the crate closed.

"I've got this strap at the bottom," Kip says moving in next to you. Abbey just watches you work. You and Kip work together to pry open one side of the crate. The clanking is louder than ever as the crate door slams to the floor. You pick up your flashlight and shine it inside. Abbey is the first to gasp.

quote:

You peer into the open crate. There's a flash of light. And then...

"There's nothing in this crate!" you exclaim. "I thought you said there was armor in here."

"There was," Abbey huffs, acting cool again. "But now it's gone, okay?"

"That's impossible!" Kip argues. "This crate weighed a ton when we moved it in here!"

Abbey glances back at the empty crate. "Someone must have taken the armor, that's all. For crying out loud!" Oops, wrong thing to say: "Eeeeeeeaaaa-hahahahaha!" The bone chilling scream of the Evil Knight turns to hideous, wicked laughter.

"It's the curse. The Evil Knight killed Sir Edmund Saxton, and now he's taken his armor!"

"What's next?" you say in disbelief, "...or who?" Then you see something. There. Resting on the floor of the crate. A jagged piece of parchment paper. Do you pick it up? This curse thing is seeming less and less silly by the second.

If you pick the paper up and see what it says, turn to PAGE 70.

If you decide this whole business is too weird for your taste, and it's time to close the crate back up again and call the police, turn to PAGE 9.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gently caress the police we got this

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
gently caress this, let's get the police

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Let's be responsible and call the police and also how come our parents can't hear any of this.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

hot drat. call the police and a fireman

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Call the police, they can deal with curses with a preist cop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Octatonic posted:

hot drat. call the police and a fireman
Woop woop, that's the sound of the police!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

call the cops and let them deal with this bad writing instead

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"All right, all right, enough already. This is getting a little too weird for me," you say. "It's time to call the police."

"Chicken," Abbey mocks you. You just ignore her.

"But only a Saxton can break the curse," Kip reminds you. "The police won't be able to do anything."

"Well, I for one am willing to let them try."

You shove the GOOD KNIGHT crate door closed and start buckling the leather straps. Then the loudest scream of the night fills the air. Followed by a crunching noise. You whirl around to look, and your heart almost leaps out of your chest.

The Evil Knight has crashed one of his armored arms through the other wooden crate. A thick-fingered, steely, armored glove gleams in the dim light. And it's gripping Abbey's slender neck.

quote:

"Abbey!" Kip cries as he watches his sister twist in the grasp of the Evil Knight.

"Help me!" Abbey cries in terror.

CRASH! The Evil Knight's other armored arm rips through the wooden slats of the crate and wraps around Abbey's body. You and Kip scream in a harmony of horror. Any hopes you had of helping Abbey vanish as the Knight continues crashing through his wooden prison. Nothing can stop him now!

He's going to destroy all that is good - and that means YOU!

Cover your eyes. Don't look. This is going to be too terrible to watch. Evil spelled backwards is LIVE, which is one thing you won't be when the Knight in Screaming Armor is done with you!

THE END

Or is it the end really? If you think it's too early to exit this adventure, go to PAGE 99.

quote:

"The end?" you challenge. "In your dreams, you hunk of junk! You won't get rid of us so fast."

Much to your cousins' surprise, you spring into action. You reach past the Knight to a shelf on the garage wall. You grab a can of motor oil and flip open the pop-top. You pour it over the armored arms that hold Abbey in a deadly grip.

"Aahh!" Abbey shrieks as the oily liquid covers her head. But thanks to the oil, she slides right through the circling arms of iron. She's free!

Now you can get back to the business of closing up the EVIL KNIGHT crate. The three of you grab hammers, nails, and ropes from the garage workbench. The Evil Knight's arms flail about. They're covered in the thick goopy oil. You hurry to seal up the wooden crate again.

It feels great to be back in control of things again. But the feeling doesn't last. Now the crate marked GOOD KNIGHT is rattling. A white light pierces right through the wood slats and zooms in on you, almost blinding you. The door pops open, ripping the leather straps. A vision of a knight, a knight in shining armor, fills your view. You squint and shield your eyes with your hands. The face on the knight is YOUR face!

The bright light fades away. You're left staring into the crate at a floating piece of parchment.

quote:

You bend down and pick up the jagged-edged piece of parchment. There's writing on it. "Hey, look what I found!" you exclaim. "It's a note. Or a piece of one." You read it:

"Only a knight, and Saxton born

Can break the curse that now we mourn.

But they who wear Sir Edmund's steel

Must prove their courage and strength are real.

Before the break of day brings light

One Good shall fight one Evil Knight...

That's funny. It sounds like a challenge."

"How boring." Abbey complains.

"They who wear Sir Edmund's steel," you read again. "What do you think that means?"

"The armor," Kip replies. "Sir Edmund's armor."

"But it's gone," you point out.

"That scrap of paper looks like it's been torn from something," Kip adds. "If we could find more pieces of the poem, maybe we can figure out where the missing armor is. It's like a puzzle."

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Abbey says. Then she rubs her eyes. "I'm sleepy."

Kip yawns a big yawn. You feel it, too. An overwhelming urge to fall asleep. You let yourself curl up on the floor and...

If you wake up and are with your cousins, turn to PAGE 20.

If you wake up all alone, turn to PAGE 47.

Christ, we've made four choices so far in this book, and three of them have been bullshit railroading non-choices. I thought we were reading a Give Yourself Goosebumps book, not Heroes Rise.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Parchment Piece:siren:

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Forever Alone

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i wake up alone hoping to find the friggin joke ending we all called last loving week

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
evil spelled backwards is live what the gently caress is this

alone sure why not

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
But... we didn't even START to call the police...

alone

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rebonack7 posted:

I thought we were reading a Give Yourself Goosebumps book, not Heroes Rise.
I'm still upset about that! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djU4Lq_5EaM

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I object to that ending. No-one would notice if the knight killed everything good in the world because there is nothing good in this novel for him to kill.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

alone...

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You wake up alright. But the minute you open your eyes you know something is very wrong. It's dark all around you. You have no idea where you are. Even if you could see, your head feels too heavy to turn and glance around.

"Kip? Abbey?" you call out.

Your own voice echoes back to you. You try to lift your hand and can't budge it. You try to move your leg. You can't. Your heart starts to race.

"Kip! Abbey!" you yell this time. But there's nothing. Only the feeling that you are trapped. Weighted down.

Your skin feels coated with something heavy and hard. Like iron... or like...

"A suit of armor!" you scream.

You hear the blood rushing in your ears. Or is it laughter?

Now you remember everything! You were feeling so sleepy. But just before you fell asleep, the Evil Knight's voice filled your head. "Be all the evil you can be. Join my army."

While you slept, the Evil Knight made you one of his Evil guards! You will have to serve his evil wishes for the rest of your little, evil life!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Parchment Piece

Bad Endings
:siren:Turned into one of the Evil Knight's servants.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Open the crate marked EVIL KNIGHT.
  • Wake up with your cousins.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So many non-choices.

I guess these two are around also.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

God this book is poo poo, and we barely even started.

I guess we wake up with the others

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Also these are bullshit choices because they're omnipotent ones. Our character does not have the choice of waking up either with or without company, but we do.

What's up, cousins? Us. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I don't like this.