Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mllaneza posted:

And whoever the Bears put up next week.

That was a really nice TD play by Jimmy G. He showed great vision of the field and knew where his receivers would be. Put me down for 'cautiously optimistic'.

"Never trust a Patriots Backup QB" is the football equivalent of "Never Trade with Billy Beane"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Manoueverable posted:

Also there's rumblings that, along with being out for the rest of the year, Kam may never play again :stare:

Honestly not surprising, given his style of play over the years. I imagine one day a doctor opening up his neck and being like :randstare: "How are you still walking"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Playing aggressive defense with a lot of helmet to helmet contact at full speed is a recipe for an early death or at the very least brain and spine problems. It really sucks and makes me sad but I guess it is worth it to them.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

It's interesting because one thing this season has shown is how rare that "great quarterback" talent is. QBs fresh from college and guys who float around the league and play second or third string, they are usually not starting for a good reason. Jimmy Garoppolo or whatever may be an exception, after all playing second fiddle to Tom Brady doesn't say much about a QB's potential. But in most cases fans clamor for a QB change and the result is absolutely terrible.

Maybe he's good but I'll need to see a lot more than that. Kyle Shanahan just said he's likely to get the franchise tag though, which seems absolutely nuts to me

They had to have signed him (ed. er, traded for him) expecting to tag him and essentially buy am evaluation year with the 2nd and effectively unlimited cap (that has to be spent at some point due to minimum salary requirements). I don’t really agree with that plan but nothing else makes a whole lot of sense.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

They had to have signed him (ed. er, traded for him) expecting to tag him and essentially buy am evaluation year with the 2nd and effectively unlimited cap (that has to be spent at some point due to minimum salary requirements). I don’t really agree with that plan but nothing else makes a whole lot of sense.

I admit don't really understand much about franchise tags and minimum salary requirements, could you explain this a bit more?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Under the CBA teams must, over a rolling four year window, spend a certain mimimum percentage of the salary cap. This is to prevent greedy poo poo owners to pay pennies and pocket the remainder. This means that while teams can roll over unused money under the salary cap from year to year, which the 49ers have done for several years now resulting in their giant cap room, at some point they have to pay someone.

The franchise tag pays a player who would otherwise hit free agency a one year guaranteed deal in the amount of the mean of the top fove salaries at the player’s position. In Garoppolo’s case that’s somewhere between $20-25M. Tagging a player prevents them from hitting free agency and leaving, allowing the team more time to sign them to a long term deal. It also gives the team leverage because while the tag year salary is rich, every player knows they’re one injury or down season away from their market diminishing. So there is a strong incentive to sign a deal that pays them approximately what they’re worth over a longer time scale. This is where Kirk Cousins and the Redskins are right now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

I admit don't really understand much about franchise tags and minimum salary requirements, could you explain this a bit more?

An exclusive franchise tag means a team will pay that player no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams.

so you're spending top 5 qb money for one year when you have a lot of money to burn anyways. it's like what happened with kirk cousins except that got all hosed up in the end

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Play posted:

Playing aggressive defense with a lot of helmet to helmet contact at full speed is a recipe for an early death or at the very least brain and spine problems. It really sucks and makes me sad but I guess it is worth it to them.

vernon davis wins the war

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Under the CBA teams must, over a rolling four year window, spend a certain mimimum percentage of the salary cap. This is to prevent greedy poo poo owners to pay pennies and pocket the remainder. This means that while teams can roll over unused money under the salary cap from year to year, which the 49ers have done for several years now resulting in their giant cap room, at some point they have to pay someone.

The franchise tag pays a player who would otherwise hit free agency a one year guaranteed deal in the amount of the mean of the top fove salaries at the player’s position. In Garoppolo’s case that’s somewhere between $20-25M. Tagging a player prevents them from hitting free agency and leaving, allowing the team more time to sign them to a long term deal. It also gives the team leverage because while the tag year salary is rich, every player knows they’re one injury or down season away from their market diminishing. So there is a strong incentive to sign a deal that pays them approximately what they’re worth over a longer time scale. This is where Kirk Cousins and the Redskins are right now.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

So basically, despite the fact that it isn't totally clear at all that Garoppolo is worth it, the 49ers may as well do it in order to meet the minimum for four year salaries? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pay more good players? Why have the 49ers even been rolling over cap room, doesn't that partially explain why they suck so hard? Wouldn't it be better for the 49ers to actually see if Cousins gets the Redskins tag and if not they could pick him up or someone else proven? Is there even a lot of evidence that Jimmy G is worth it? Also, I've only ever heard of franchise tags in reference to quarterbacks, is that a common thing at all at other positions?

Sorry this has turned into question hour, I've never understood much about the financial side of the game. I understand the concept of salary caps and not much else.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

vernon davis wins the war

it's insane that kam knocked 3 or 4 years of football out of him in one shot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

So basically, despite the fact that it isn't totally clear at all that Garoppolo is worth it, the 49ers may as well do it in order to meet the minimum for four year salaries? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pay more good players? Why have the 49ers even been rolling over cap room, doesn't that partially explain why they suck so hard? Wouldn't it be better for the 49ers to actually see if Cousins gets the Redskins tag and if not they could pick him up or someone else proven? Is there even a lot of evidence that Jimmy G is worth it? Also, I've only ever heard of franchise tags in reference to quarterbacks, is that a common thing at all at other positions?

Sorry this has turned into question hour, I've never understood much about the financial side of the game. I understand the concept of salary caps and not much else.

they need a few years of decent drafts to fill out the roster. you can't build a team in free agency.

the prevailing wisdom for building a team now is to get your franchise qb and then build your team around him.

as for kirk, they'd still probably drop everything and try if that happened but the 49ers would have some of the worst odds to pull that off.

one of the famous franchise tags was when jimmy graham got tagged as a TE with the saints and went to arbitration because he wanted the WR designation with the extra ~3MM that came with it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kam was suffering from internal bleeding after SB49 and has had a variety of other health issues so I'm surprised he's made it this long.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Congrats on briefly being the best team in the NFC West, Rams.

It's time to make way for the handsome man, though.

:getin:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sorry too busy worrying about Blaine Gabbert burning the Rams for 4 TDs this weekend

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Sorry too busy worrying about Blaine Gabbert burning the Rams for 4 TDs this weekend

How the gently caress did he do that agains the Jaguars? I'd love to say that there's no way that offense could do that against the Rams who definitely have a solid defense but the fact is the Jags should be better

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Play posted:

How the gently caress did he do that agains the Jaguars? I'd love to say that there's no way that offense could do that against the Rams who definitely have a solid defense but the fact is the Jags should be better

Blaine Gabbert's special power is making the Jags lose, duh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Blaine Gabbert's special power is making the Jags lose, duh

That's like one of those useless superpowers from some TV show or something. If only his special power was being a good quarterback, I'm sure he'd be a lot happier with that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Whoa there, motherfucker

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly believe, that the Hawks are going to win tomorrow and prove "Can't Miss" Carson Wentz is a big giant fraud baby.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Unsure whether this carries over to SA, but my goodness Eagles fans are a confident bunch this year. Don't they know what's going to happen?

Silver Linings Playbook really was about the world's sanest Eagles fan, huh?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Y'all gonna be sorry when RW goes super saiyan and the Seahawks end up in the the conference championship. Hahahaha :suicide:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm waiting for the inevitable season where Russ is just a hair too slow to pull off his houdini act and gets plastered repeatedly instead of spinning out of it and throwing an 83 yard rope TD

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lol, the Seahawks aren’t winning poo poo

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lol, the Seahawks aren’t winning poo poo

Yes they are

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would like the Seahawks to win a gigantic pile of literal poo poo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

but enough about seattle's offensive line, folks

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They will beat a pile of poo poo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I would like the Seahawks to win

:agreed:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
i think jimmy g might be ok

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

i think jimmy g might be ok

I keep seeing Jimmy G and thinking you guys are talking about Jimmy Graham and I'm like "no, he is bad (because Russ doesn't trust him)"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I keep seeing Jimmy G and thinking you guys are talking about Jimmy Graham and I'm like "no, he is bad (because Russ doesn't trust him)"

weird way to talk about a guy who is your only red zone weapon and has 8 TDs in his last 7 games because of it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The "Jimmy Graham is worthless" meme really permeated a lot of fans. I'd say he's been fine since he came back from his major injury.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's not that he's worthless, he's a loving stud, just Russ doesn't understand how to use him (or Bevell doesn't).

Christ, there was a story last year about how they wanted to get him more action blocking, :wtc:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elizabeth Mills posted:

It's not that he's worthless, he's a loving stud, just Russ doesn't understand how to use him (or Bevell doesn't).

Christ, there was a story last year about how they wanted to get him more action blocking, :wtc:

He had almost 1000 yards last year, and has 8 TD catches this year. I think he's being used fine? Yeah he's not putting up the numbers he had with NO but that was expected considering Drew Bees vs. RW.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Involving your tight end more in blocking, when your line can’t block worth a poo poo, is a good idea. The bad idea was trading your best offensive lineman for a receiver who can’t block. So blame John Schneider for that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Elizabeth Mills posted:

He leads the league in red zone targets and touchdowns inside the 10. This meme hasn't been relevant all year.

Benne fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 3, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

49ers no longer with the worst qb in the division :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Garoppolo to Taylor is the new Brady to Welker/Edelman. Sorry, NFC.

• Locked thread