Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiefer Sutherland would be a good Okuyasu, yeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wataru Takagi is playing The Joker in the Batman Ninja thing and tbh Okuyasu actually works for the character imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the biggest problem the dub has is that it's impossible to not compare it to the original voice acting and the thing about the original voice acting is that it's chosen by a studio who love their source material more than almost any other adaptation on earth and not only do they have an extremely deep understanding of who these characters are from being huge fans of JoJo, they'll also have some access to Araki to ask him questions about his intent behind the characterisation and to get his opinions on what certain characters should be like. It also helps when your voice actors are also extremely dedicated fans of the series, like Daisuke Ono is.

That's almost certainly not true on all counts of the Viz's end with casting and any questions they have have to go through translation to david pro, who might possibly pass that on to Araki and then those answers are to a translated question and then themselves translated. There's a lot of room for error there.

It'd be pretty easy to cast Kira as a weird sounding dude who sounds good angry, but Morikawa had a really good feeling of quiet authority to him. He comes across as quite reserved while confident in most of his speech when he's on top and not flustered (think of that dame dame dame dame dame dame :discourse:), but he's also real good at showing that shakiness when he's trapped and mad. I don't have much faith that a company that cast RP Joseph and growly DIO could ever get it truly correct.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
GOO BAA JOJOOOO

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QzY6obwBas

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dub okuyasu has to be the guy who did kuwabara

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sub has all the best quotes
You can watch the dub later if you want

grieving for Gandalf posted:

dub okuyasu has to be the guy who did kuwabara

pretty sure Christopher Sabat doesn't do non-funimation dubs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Have Takagi voice act Okuyasu, english speaking ability not important.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah actually they will posted:

David Hayter as okuyasu

Okuyasu, Josuke, I've been talking to Yukako recently after she kidnapped me and well I gotta ask... Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EmmyOk posted:

Okuyasu, Josuke, I've been talking to Yukako recently after she kidnapped me and well I gotta ask... Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?

Koichi seems like the kind of person that ultimately gets killed every woman he has feelings for.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

Koichi seems like the kind of person that ultimately gets killed every woman he has feelings for.

I read this as "gets killed by every woman he has feelings for" at first.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
That took me a minute to process too. I disagree, Koichi is not a bumbe king.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Koichi is merely A Good Boy. :colbert:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Agoat posted:

I hate to post about the animation in the manga thread, but I had a quick question.

I'm not an anime expert, I usually watch English dubs. I've just started watching Jojo and holy poo poo, I'm hooked. My friend and I are like 8 episodes deep, should we continue watching in Japanese or is the English dub good?

The dub is hammy as hell and has accents for each character depending on where they're from (quality varies) but it also changes the names of characters named after music artists or songs which gradually increase as the series goes on. I enjoy it but like the original better. I'm also someone who usually watches subs nowadays though, so your mileage may vary!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The renaming thing is done in the sub as well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The renaming thing is done in the sub as well

Not in the voice acting though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The renames are actually chosen by Warner Brothers Japan so that's not actually on Viz et al.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wish it was because their SDC changes for the manga were pretty good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I generally don't give a poo poo about any name changes at all but some of them are very good, like Boy Man Man and Flaccid Pancake. I like Dan of Steel more than the original name.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm definitely with you on those. And hell, that last one technically isn't a change since Steely Dan was also written as "Dan of Steel" in Japanese anyway.
Also gotta throw one out for Pole Jam for sounding similar, and making me aware the band's name was always about semen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I generally don't give a poo poo about any name changes at all but some of them are very good, like Boy Man Man and Flaccid Pancake. I like Dan of Steel more than the original name.

Time to perform some dishonest acts at a fair and reasonable price!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Worse Company is some good poo poo too.

We've gone from Bad...

to Worse.

:getin:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I like the name changes as name changes, but i wouldn't want them to be someone's original names for those characters

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"Flaccid Pancake" makes me laugh every time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

yeah actually they will posted:

I like the name changes as name changes, but i wouldn't want them to be someone's original names for those characters

Yeah, they're great if you know the context of them being legally distinct versions of names.

Boy Man Man

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

And then there's Lil' Bomber.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

they should call it bowyer

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

And then there's Lil' Bomber.

And Zipper Man. And Six Bullets.

For some reason they just phoned the part 5 guys in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Momomo posted:

And Zipper Man. And Six Bullets.

For some reason they just phoned the part 5 guys in.

because they're not making an anime for part 5 so no one is going to see them
:tinfoil:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
battomobile

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I've been slowly reading and catching up with JJBA for the better part of a year and just recently finished Stone Ocean, which I'm told is essentially the end of this universe/storyline before it basically starts from square one with Steel Ball Run (which I have heard good things about).

Part 6 was easily my favorite part and Jolyne was my favorite Jojo, but I felt really, really let down by that ending. It seemed to me that Dio ultimately won and Jolyne just essentially acted as fodder to the big bad guy who got what he wanted with the weirdest side character inflicted comeuppance to cap it off. The ending scene felt incredibly out of place and unsatisfying as a conclusion to the universe and Jolyne's character arc. I felt like every Jojo prior to her was done graciously and her defining moment was not instantly dying to Pucci. A real letdown for the character I found most interesting of any of the Jojos.

I'm mostly just coming here to decompress because I'm not sure how up for it I am to just let all of this fall away and start on something new with how part 6 ended. Is there some insight into the story that went over my head here? I was happy with the endings of every other part and it just seemed like such a, well, I suppose bizarre ending to it all. But not in the usually interesting Jojo way.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 4, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a prevailing theme through the series is the idea of fate, and people being drawn to one another or various events due to it. how they're stuck in a role that they eventually have to play out no matter what. the end of part 6 is pretty much the only way they could have escaped their role and gotten to live relatively normal lives, and while it's kind of sad it's probably one of the few ways the series could have gone out that's somewhat 'happy' in a way at the same time.

jolyne does get kind of burned in a way, but with the way the series is i guess it's inevitable that a villain is able to pull off something like that. pucci doesn't achieve what he wants to do, though, and dio is still dead.

anyways part 7 is pretty good

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I've been slowly reading and catching up with JJBA for the better part of a year and just recently finished Stone Ocean, which I'm told is essentially the end of this universe/storyline before it basically starts from square one with Steel Ball Run (which I have heard good things about).

Part 6 was easily my favorite part and Jolyne was my favorite Jojo, but I felt really, really let down by that ending. It seemed to me that Dio ultimately won and Jolyne just essentially acted as fodder to the big bad guy who got what he wanted with the weirdest side character inflicted comeuppance to cap it off. The ending scene felt incredibly out of place and unsatisfying as a conclusion to the universe and Jolyne's character arc. I felt like every Jojo prior to her was done graciously and her defining moment was not instantly dying to Pucci. A real letdown for the character I found most interesting of any of the Jojos.

I'm mostly just coming here to decompress because I'm not sure how up for it I am to just let all of this fall away and start on something new with how part 6 ended. Is there some insight into the story that went over my head here? I was happy with the endings of every other part and it just seemed like such a, well, I suppose bizarre ending to it all. But not in the usually interesting Jojo way.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but basically the end of part 6 has them creating a universe/timeline where the Joestars aren't cursed and hosed up by Dio forever, so it's kind of a win, even though they're not the same people per se.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Xad posted:

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but basically the end of part 6 has them creating a universe/timeline where the Joestars aren't cursed and hosed up by Dio forever, so it's kind of a win, even though they're not the same people per se.

I guess I just feel burned that this entire lineage thing I've been invested in, and particularly Jolyne and Joseph who are my favorites, just kind of never happened. I want to say it feels like I wasted time reading it, but that's not the right word because I still enjoyed the process. I suppose I feel like the investment I had in the series and characters feels wasted or betrayed.

Johnny Joestar posted:

a prevailing theme through the series is the idea of fate, and people being drawn to one another or various events due to it. how they're stuck in a role that they eventually have to play out no matter what. the end of part 6 is pretty much the only way they could have escaped their role and gotten to live relatively normal lives, and while it's kind of sad it's probably one of the few ways the series could have gone out that's somewhat 'happy' in a way at the same time.

jolyne does get kind of burned in a way, but with the way the series is i guess it's inevitable that a villain is able to pull off something like that. pucci doesn't achieve what he wants to do, though, and dio is still dead.

anyways part 7 is pretty good

But they didn't escape, they're different people who magically still come together anyhow in what is essentially reliving the same destiny thing. It feels like no one actually escaped anything because we don't really see any of that. The things I felt invested in are gone. The fact that there's some doppelgangers living in some alternate reality who don't have the character growth and experiences I was so enraptured by is what makes me so melancholy about it all. Something I've never felt before. I always felt that, prior to Stone Ocean, the bad guy always clamoring about fate and destiny and how they knew they were right always got shut down. I suppose Jonathan technically failed against Dio but Kars, Dio in part 3, Kira, and Diavolo all spouted about their destiny just the same before their respective Jojos shut them down.

But when it came to Jolyne, the one I wanted most to succeed, Pucci just ran over her like a speed bump. What am I missing here?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I guess I just feel burned that this entire lineage thing I've been invested in, and particularly Jolyne and Joseph who are my favorites, just kind of never happened. I want to say it feels like I wasted time reading it, but that's not the right word because I still enjoyed the process. I suppose I feel like the investment I had in the series and characters feels wasted or betrayed.

Of course they never happened, it's a comic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Jolyne sacrificed herself to save Emporio and in return he saved her soul and the world by beasting on Pucci.

Irene et al are the reincarnations of the Stone Ocean Gang, finally able to live a life that isn't derailed by DIO. They're the same person if Fate didn't need them to murder vampires and ghosts ever few years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Olive! posted:

Of course they never happened, it's a comic

What's with the petty semantics? You obviously know what I mean.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jolyne sacrificed herself to save Emporio and in return he saved her soul and the world by beasting on Pucci.

Irene et al are the reincarnations of the Stone Ocean Gang, finally able to live a life that isn't derailed by DIO. They're the same person if Fate didn't need them to murder vampires and ghosts ever few years.

A big part of part 6 is that people are the sum of their memories and experiences. Heck, that's basically the lesson of Foo Fighters' final moments. Saying they're the "same" people but without any of the experiences or memories that made Jojo's Bizarre Adventure such a bizarre adventure is where the ending loses me, I guess. Maybe I'm expecting too much or too little to expect a more typical ending like the previous parts or just too bitter that this happened on the watch of the Jojo I enjoyed the most. I'm not sure but I suppose I wasn't going to find the magic answer that satisfied me regardless. Sorry for venting at you guys.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 4, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm bullshitting you man. It's fine if you don't like the ending, heck most people don't. I think part 6 has the best ending though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jolyne wins a world where she gets a father that is less of a distant rear end in a top hat, a smoking hot wife, a good son, a jar of plankton, and some hobo in a funny hat she picked up off the side of the road. 100% Completion Golden Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't like the whole universal reset thing, but Irene ending up with "Anakiss" in the end is what really makes it a bad end