Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m having the same experience with mine if I have it set loud enough to really feel, then it’s clipping. If I set it low enough to not clip then it’s pretty weak.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Were you testing it with music? Now that I set it up a bit more I think testing music on it is a bit unfair. I played some Elite:Dangerous (won't be able to try it on my rig for a bit as I don't have any place that I can mount it, I'll need to create a post for it or something) and it worked really well. Was really cool feeling all the little vibrations in game, and I it wasn't clipping at all.

I am using usb headphones so I did set up voice meeter banana, and for some reason the buttkicker was only working on the left channel so I did set it to mono.

Seems pretty great so far, now I just need to get it set up with my rig!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A case study on why belt driven wheels are better than helical gear setups all day long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuYV_y5F2E

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PC Sim Racing - Calibrate My Butt Vibrations

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

orange juche posted:

A case study on why belt driven wheels are better than helical gear setups all day long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuYV_y5F2E

That’s a long video. What is that proving again?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s a long video. What is that proving again?

Its a lot harder to pull extreme movements and smooth countersteering like that on a gear driven wheel accurately. Belt driven and direct drive wheels are the only way to pull poo poo like that off.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 1, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's nice and almost certainly true but the video doesn't do anything to prove that. :v:

It does make me want to load up dirt again though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

That's nice and almost certainly true but the video doesn't do anything to prove that. :v:

It does make me want to load up dirt again though.

You should, its really fun* with all assists off and a wheel.

*fun in a ballbreakingly hard sense.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Were you testing it with music? Now that I set it up a bit more I think testing music on it is a bit unfair. I played some Elite:Dangerous (won't be able to try it on my rig for a bit as I don't have any place that I can mount it, I'll need to create a post for it or something) and it worked really well. Was really cool feeling all the little vibrations in game, and I it wasn't clipping at all.

I am using usb headphones so I did set up voice meeter banana, and for some reason the buttkicker was only working on the left channel so I did set it to mono.

Seems pretty great so far, now I just need to get it set up with my rig!

I was testing with GT Sport on PS4.

Now that I think about it my problem might be due to the splitter? I bought an optical to analog converter from Best Buy over lunch so I’ll see if I can run the buttkicker off the optical signal and use my usb headphones without a splitter. Maybe that will make things better.

I think I was complicating things by sending it an amplified and split signal. Doing the optical to analog route will send it line out rather than being affected by the ps4’s volume settings.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 1, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Heyho Codezombie,

I'm a super-big idiot for not taking up your offer regarding my problems with Dirt Rally earlier, but some poo poo got in the way (life and stuff).

I finally managed to buy Dirt Rally again and I am still having the same problem that you wanted me to document. Excuse the lovely quality, I don't have a display in my simpit, as only use VR, so I only have an old beamer on a lovely wall.

Setup is a typical Windows 10 Pro installation (Intel core i7, nothing strange), Fanatec CSW 2.5 (problem is independant of rim) with sequential shifter and handbrake (all Fanatec). Connected via USB hub.

As you (hopefully) can see, there is a brutal deadzone, and when steering over it, it still ain't linear and feels "off".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtTzWuauFs

I tried cycling through the wheel settings, but hosed up a bit. Profile 5_1 is basically stock setup, 5_2 my F1/DTM setup and 5_3 my GT3 setup (DRi -3 or -5 to make steering overall heavy), everything else is "mostly normal".

What you can see in the vid, that if I switch to 5_3 (GT Setup), the deadzone increases. The difference between the two is that one has SEN 300 (F1/DTM),the other has SEN 720. But I still can't make sense of the deadzone, the larger the overall steering angle is (SEN 720), the larger the deadzone gets :/

If I can do anything else to help you guys track the bug, let me know.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Any recommendations on a higher end starter wheel/pedal set for Windows 10 PC to get this Christmas? I'm looking to play Project Cars 2 to get gud and Forza 7 for fun. It doesn't need to have been hand-wrapped in virgin Italian goat leather by a Pirelli calendar model or anything, but I'd like something well made with realistic force feedback and whatever else I need to be absolutely certain that the problem is me and not the hardware. Good OS drivers are a plus too. I'm willing to spend a fair bit if it's worth it.

User fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 1, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Give us a actual dollar figure

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
$500ish. A little more is fine if there is some kind of break point.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I was very happy with my Thrustmaster T500rs set

e: I switched to Fanatec CSW, which is a completely different kind if beast regarding build quality and overall everything, but also well outside the mentioned price range. I modded the poo poo out of my Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel, and apart from some driver hickups (some mentioned here, don't switch USB ports etc.) I was very happy. The pedals are a bit squeaky if you compare them to other stuff, though....

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 1, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

User posted:

$500ish. A little more is fine if there is some kind of break point.

All the thrustmaster sets in that range are really solid. I would definitely recommend a belt wheel over the gear driven Logitechs that would be a bit cheaper.

I hated the pedals that came with my old Thrustmaster TX tbh. Someone here can probably review the pro pedals you can likely find packaged though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

All the thrustmaster sets in that range are really solid. I would definitely recommend a belt wheel over the gear driven Logitechs that would be a bit cheaper.

I hated the pedals that came with my old Thrustmaster TX tbh. Someone here can probably review the pro pedals you can likely find packaged though.

I'd recommend a Thrust-master, i've had belt and gear driven wheels.. Belt >>> Gear (see above)

T500 (Around 600-650) (comes with the T3PA pro pedals)

T300 (300) and buy some T3PA Pros (150ish), and the TH8A (150ish)

Differences:
T500 wheel rim I think is a bit bigger than the T300, T500 has a bit stronger FFB (not really an issue IMO) The Paddle shifters on teh t500 are stationary, where the T300 moves with the wheel.. can be somewhat confusing sometimes but that's happened maybe like 2-3x

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

T3pa pro pedals are really solid and nice. Can be inverted without having to purchase an inversion kit. Either way though they are awkwardly balanced so under any breaking at all the pedal assembly rocks back if it's either not bolted down or not pushed against a wall. All pedals including the brake are potentiometer based and any resistance is provided by springs and hunks of rubber behind the pedal, rather than a Fanatec load cell. There are load cell mods available

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tater_salad posted:

T500 wheel rim I think is a bit bigger than the T300, T500 has a bit stronger FFB (not really an issue IMO) The Paddle shifters on teh t500 are stationary, where the T300 moves with the wheel.. can be somewhat confusing sometimes but that's happened maybe like 2-3x

You can get the F1 rim for the T500, which has non-stationary shifter paddles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Edit: ^^ No I meant having them not be stationary, like 2 times I've downshifted instead of upshifted.. There's arguments for either way, I just got the TH8A so generally not an issue especially if I use them for iRacing indy cars the wheel doesn't turn enough for it to be any kid of issue.

If he gets fanatech pedals with the load cell he's going to end up with a driving force GT for a wheel with that budget.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 1, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

tater_salad posted:

Edit: ^^ No I meant having them not be stationary, like 2 times I've downshifted instead of upshifted.. There's arguments for either way, I just got the TH8A so generally not an issue especially if I use them for iRacing indy cars the wheel doesn't turn enough for it to be any kid of issue.

If he gets fanatech pedals with the load cell he's going to end up with a driving force GT for a wheel with that budget.

??? Not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. The F1 rim for the T500 has shift paddles that rotate with the wheel,you simply remove the stationary ones....(changes are I misunderstand it, english is not my native language...)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The T300 has a lighter more nimble feel to the T500 I feel, also worth keeping in mind the T500 is older and I recall reading recently some games don't support it, although that may or may not be accurate because internet.
You can get the T300 bundled with the T3pa pedals which are more than good enough imo, just avoid the ones with 2 pedal sets

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Looks like I get get the Thrustmaster VG T300 Ferrari Alcantara Edition Racing Wheel bundled with the T3PA along with a stand for just a hair over $700 on Amazon. I'll shop around a bit more because it looks like there are quite a few bundling options, but this looks like a decent setup for my budget. Thanks all!

Looks like there is a Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Racing Wheel bundle for $50 less too.

User fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 1, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T3pa (Plastic and ehhh) or t3pa pro (metal and pretty nice for the $150).

Shifter chat.
I'm saying that having the shifter on the wheel can be confusing if you just turned the wheel a bunch to the left and don't know which is downshift and which is up (only an issue in truck Sim for me.)

Either one is a solid buy if you can get the metal pedals.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Ah, looks like the $50 doesn't just buy me the dancing pony, it also gets the metal pedals. Sounds worth it then.

Edit: Whoops, look like I misread, both are just plastic. Time to keep looking.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: check out the current Fanatec auctions. A CSW 2.5 with BMW GT3 rim went for 426 EUR yesterday, brand new. Lacks pedals, of course, but it's an awesome price, since the wheelbase alone is 550 EUR normally, and the rim another 200 EUR.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I just nursed a hosed up gearbox through a whole race in F1 2017. This is what I got this game for. :spergin:

It was actually instructive in how to avoid excess shifting in general.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

tater_salad posted:

T3pa (Plastic and ehhh) or t3pa pro (metal and pretty nice for the $150).

Shifter chat.
I'm saying that having the shifter on the wheel can be confusing if you just turned the wheel a bunch to the left and don't know which is downshift and which is up (only an issue in truck Sim for me.)

Either one is a solid buy if you can get the metal pedals.

These are on sale for $100 on amazon right now if anyone is looking for new pedals!

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T3PA-PRO-3-Pedal-Add-xbox-one/dp/B00UVN21IU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

These are on sale for $100 on amazon right now if anyone is looking for new pedals!

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T3PA-PRO-3-Pedal-Add-xbox-one/dp/B00UVN21IU

That's an amazing deal for sweet rear end pedals.. Seriously if you have a TM wheel and are still using plastic.. this is a sexy deal!

The biggest issue with thrustmaster right now is the Th8a is hard to find for retail of $150 I managed to get an amazon warehouse deal Th8a for like 136 and was quite happy since they seem to sit around $200 on the marketplace right now.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 3, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, I want to get simvibe but it's pretty expensive so I went looking for alternatives.

Came across this which works with buttkicker, and is super easy to set up.

https://dreamsimteam.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html?m=1

Sim shaker wheels

Even comes with a trial! "Can try it 6 times for 20 min each, wish simvibe had this)

Tried it with ats and seems to work well.

Only $30 as well

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 3, 2017

Threash
May 18, 2003

tater_salad posted:

That's an amazing deal for sweet rear end pedals.. Seriously if you have a TM wheel and are still using plastic.. this is a sexy deal!

The biggest issue with thrustmaster right now is the Th8a is hard to find for retail of $150 I managed to get an amazon warehouse deal Th8a for like 136 and was quite happy since they seem to sit around $200 on the marketplace right now.

I don't know if you've opened the TH8A already but it's on sale on B&H Photo Video right now for $97 (the pedals are also on sale through them) and they only collect tax in NY/NJ which is nice couple bucks saved for most. Super fast and free shipping too. There are quite a few other TM products on sale through them too. I just got the TH8A through them last week, came next day.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1114264-REG/thrustmaster_4060059_th8a_a_o_gearbox_shfter.html

Edit; Wow what a lovely avatar to have as the default after never buying one in all these years.

Threash fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 3, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was keeping an eye on Amazon never thought to check b&h where I get a lot of photo gear from. Amazon shows only third party sellers at 195ish.

So to the goon looking for a wheel.. I'd highly recommend the t300 with the Amazon $97 t3pa pro setup and the $97 th8a.. it's a solid setup hits your budget, for good wheel, good pedals, and good shifter. Ive been out of the wheel game but I'd say the next step up from that would have a 1 and then 3 other numbers after but will.be significantly better.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That is a pretty good deal. However if it were me (I have a T300 Alcantara edition, shifter, T3PA (not pro) pedals) I would do all that except the pedals and just get something with a load cell brake like the cheapest fanatecs. If you're just getting into all this it's fine to start with what they guys above said, but the pedals are the first thing I'd upgrade.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didnt' realize that the LC pedals were only $200, that's not terrible.. I probably would have bought those when I got the T3PA's since I spent about 150 on em.

Threash
May 18, 2003
I've currently got a Driving Force GT and while it works fine, now that I finally built a newer PC and there are some deals going on I had been looking into a possible new wheel. I've had T3PA pedals and TH8A so I'm set in those ares but wasn't entirely sure if the wheels I had been looking at would for sure feel like a nice/considerable upgrade.

T300 with 599XX replica wheel (base/wheel bought separately it's only $260 for this as opposed to $300 with pedals)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194830-REG/thrustmaster_4169082_t300_ferrari_racing_wheel.html

T300 RS - $230; since I've already got the upgraded pedals (I didn't find any difference between the T300 versions, just that the one the minor upgrade to pedals)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1130396-REG/thrustmaster_4169072_t300rs_racing_wheel_for.html

T500 RS - $400; if I could sell the pedals and DFGT to a buddy somehow this seems like the best case but if I can't I'm spending money partially on a package that has pedals I already own.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758788-REG/Thrustmaster_4169056_T500_RS_GT5_Racing.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I got my vr helmet shipped in. I asked in the main VR thread but didn't get a response.

Can someone tell me what to aim for in benchmark frames per second in 2d so I can get my 90fps in VR ? Or should I just benchmark in VR with the helmet off ? I won't be able to benchmark while watching as I'll probably puke.

For example, I average around 255fps in Assetto Corsa at 1080p. And max frames around 350. Will that translate well to VR ?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

So I got my vr helmet shipped in. I asked in the main VR thread but didn't get a response.

Can someone tell me what to aim for in benchmark frames per second in 2d so I can get my 90fps in VR ? Or should I just benchmark in VR with the helmet off ? I won't be able to benchmark while watching as I'll probably puke.

For example, I average around 255fps in Assetto Corsa at 1080p. And max frames around 350. Will that translate well to VR ?

What cpu and gpu do you have?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isn’t it literally just 1080fps/2 is your VR FPS? It’s just driving double the resolution, no?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn’t it literally just 1080fps/2 is your VR FPS? It’s just driving double the resolution, no?

Not quite. The resolution of each screen is odd, and a lot of times its also outputting to the monitor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jonathan posted:

Depending on your hardware, I suggest turning all the graphics down to low and then start adding in things you want until the framerate starts dropping.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The game has to be rendered from two different viewpoints. It's not just the same as "more pixels."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it's double pixels for frame buffer (and this headset is 1440p) plus double geometry and post processing. I'll have to experiment.

I'm running an over locked gtx1070 and a i5 7600k @ 4.8ghz.