Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

golden bubble posted:

I'd rather see an RPG set the time of Germanic Jesus. During the 9th century, which is when Vikings is set, someone wrote the poem Heliand . Heliand is supposed to be retelling of the gospel, but it refers to Jesus as a "Chieftain-King", the 12 disciples as "word-wise warriors", Jesus's teachings as "runes", and prayers as "secret spells". Also, Jesus gives gold rings to his followers in Heliand, and everyone drinks mead. The resurrection is referred to as "conquring his wyrd,"

Fun fact: Martin Luther referenced the Heliand a couple of times and apparently thought that some of the interpretations in it were better translations than the Church's official Latin versions of the Bible.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

golden bubble posted:

I'd rather see an RPG set the time of Germanic Jesus. During the 9th century, which is when Vikings is set, someone wrote the poem Heliand . Heliand is supposed to be retelling of the gospel, but it refers to Jesus as a "Chieftain-King", the 12 disciples as "word-wise warriors", Jesus's teachings as "runes", and prayers as "secret spells". Also, Jesus gives gold rings to his followers in Heliand, and everyone drinks mead. The resurrection is referred to as "conquring his wyrd,"

This sounds dope as hell.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Splicer posted:

This does not mesh with my personal experience of new players and is therefore objectively incorrect.

It definitely meshes with mine. When I ran a 4E D&D Encounters session one time, I showed up with some pregens and I reflavored the Druid's animal companion into a unicorn, complete with a little picture on the stat block card and everything. The player who picked that pregen had far more fun with the fact that they Had A Unicorn than with anything mechanical.

The brand-new-to-D&D-player in my real life long-term group is having far more fun with the fact that she's playing a bird-person who can mimic people's voices and some of the hilarity that ensues from that than with anything else to do with the mechanics. We're running 5e this time around (usually we run various flavors of FATE), and I guarantee that she wouldn't be having particularly more fun with 4E. She had fun with Dresden Files RPG, too.

Yes, games can gently caress with a player's fun--it sucks to have picked character concept X expecting to do cool things, only to find that you're unable to do cool things--but by and large, in most games, a lot of players--especially new players--just aren't that mechanically minded.

Of the players that *are* mechanically minded, the fun that they have with the mechanics--and their understanding of the mechanics--is only tenuously connected with the actual quality of the mechanics. (I remember when a shitton of 3.x players thought the Monk was overpowered for some Goddamn reason... or the way Profession being a skill in 3.x made people ~feel~ like their character was really a farmer or whatever even if it was a waste of skill points and a bad mechanic for the skill.)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

LogicNinja posted:

(I remember when a shitton of 3.x players thought the Monk was overpowered for some Goddamn reason... )

They rolled D20 DAMAGE! And they attack a WHOLE LOT!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They’re seemingly gear independent and if you just look at the class chapter, get a lot of radical abilities.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Recently I had a lot of fun playing a one-shot where one of the players was a wizardball player attending wizard school on an athletic scholarship. He punched and grappled his way through everything and cast Enlarge to punch better.

I've only been playing D&D for a few months now, and my brother was curious to try, so I've GM'd three one-on-one sessions with him. He's playing as a lowly city watchman. He's having fun using a position of civic authority to help people, which feels pleasant and novel in the year 2017. Things are playing out episodically, as a lighter-hearted Law and Order episode. First session was him investigating a dead body. The victim was drunkenly bit by a rabid dog at an illegal dog-fighting operation. He's picking up on random loose-ends of crime that point toward something more organized, and is eventually going to take on a thieves' guild. I'm not sure how fast to escalate the Evil Machinations, though, as he's having fun with the episodic stuff.

One thing I've gotten out of this was that Great Weapon Fighting style is really good with a greatsword. I heard they weren't very good, but it's equivalent to 2d4+4+STR, and all but one of his attacks (that I fudged) have been killing blows.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm a semi new player, so be patient with me.

I'm making my second character ever and I thought ranger sounded cool. Then I found out that they get companion animals and I was 100% in. I found out that an octopus is an option, and it's made me and my DM laugh so hard that we're trying to make it work. I read a post on reddit that suggested having an octopus familiar and something else for a companion.

1) Can you do that? How?

2) Since I'm super into being a poo poo, can you think of a way to have the most animals ever with your beast master? I imagine if you got those items that you throw down to make animals appear (the name escapes me at the moment) that would up the number quite a bit.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
You're gonna be bummed out with standard beastmaster, look into the unearthed arcana version and ask your dm if he's cool with that

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 3, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You're gonna be bummed out with standard beastmaster, look into the unearthed arcana version and ask yourself it gm if he's cool with that

Also ask him if your pet can get "counts as magic attacks for the purpose of overcoming resistances" at level 6.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Bean posted:

I'm making my second character ever and I thought ranger sounded cool. Then I found out that they get companion animals and I was 100% in. I found out that an octopus is an option, and it's made me and my DM laugh so hard that we're trying to make it work. I read a post on reddit that suggested having an octopus familiar and something else for a companion.

1) Can you do that? How?

2) Since I'm super into being a poo poo, can you think of a way to have the most animals ever with your beast master? I imagine if you got those items that you throw down to make animals appear (the name escapes me at the moment) that would up the number quite a bit.

I'm not familiar enough to know the second answer, but for some reason the PHB has always listed aquatic animal companions just in case your entire campaign takes place underwater.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s an underdarkkian land octopus.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hobo By Design posted:

One thing I've gotten out of this was that Great Weapon Fighting style is really good with a greatsword. I heard they weren't very good, but it's equivalent to 2d4+4+STR, and all but one of his attacks (that I fudged) have been killing blows.

Greatsword is the one situation where GWF style is worth it over Defensive.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
So, came across Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in my ToA game tonight..

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It’s an underdarkkian land octopus.

The octopus is probably smarter than any PC and should be the one running the familiar.

In fact ... *starts scribbling*

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

golden bubble posted:

If you really want to be a sticker for historical accuracy, iron helmets and mail armor should be a sign of an upper-middle class warrior, or at least one that had gotten very lucky in battle. But History's Vikings hands that stuff out like candy.

I need to read this.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I could use with some clarification on tunnel fighter. The way it is written I am not sure if it requires actually being in tight spaces to use the defensive stance action or if that becomes permanently available in any environment?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

az posted:

I could use with some clarification on tunnel fighter. The way it is written I am not sure if it requires actually being in tight spaces to use the defensive stance action or if that becomes permanently available in any environment?

If it's the one from UA, its always on.

Unless it's been errata'd, which I have no idea about.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

LogicNinja posted:

It definitely meshes with mine. When I ran a 4E D&D Encounters session one time, I showed up with some pregens and I reflavored the Druid's animal companion into a unicorn, complete with a little picture on the stat block card and everything. The player who picked that pregen had far more fun with the fact that they Had A Unicorn than with anything mechanical.

The brand-new-to-D&D-player in my real life long-term group is having far more fun with the fact that she's playing a bird-person who can mimic people's voices and some of the hilarity that ensues from that than with anything else to do with the mechanics. We're running 5e this time around (usually we run various flavors of FATE), and I guarantee that she wouldn't be having particularly more fun with 4E. She had fun with Dresden Files RPG, too.

Yes, games can gently caress with a player's fun--it sucks to have picked character concept X expecting to do cool things, only to find that you're unable to do cool things--but by and large, in most games, a lot of players--especially new players--just aren't that mechanically minded.

Of the players that *are* mechanically minded, the fun that they have with the mechanics--and their understanding of the mechanics--is only tenuously connected with the actual quality of the mechanics. (I remember when a shitton of 3.x players thought the Monk was overpowered for some Goddamn reason... or the way Profession being a skill in 3.x made people ~feel~ like their character was really a farmer or whatever even if it was a waste of skill points and a bad mechanic for the skill.)

I've made too many god awful effort posts about this in the Pillars of Eternity thread, but basically, what it boils down to, is that all mechanical anythings in a game engine have two purposes: being used to mechanically interact with the game, and making declarations about your character. D&D is loving terrible at the latter, but really good at the former, especially due to its cultural position.

I wager the vast majority of people who enjoy D&D do so while using very few of the rules, if not none of the rules at all. There's a reason why so many people declare that their best games don't even involve rolling a die, and why there's such a strong connection between "roleplaying" and "not engaging in combat."

What people enjoy isn't D&D in of itself. What they enjoy is largely freeforming with a character sheet.

az
Dec 2, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

If it's the one from UA, its always on.

Unless it's been errata'd, which I have no idea about.

Thanks that's how I understood it.

Got to pick my fighting style on the to be vengeance paladin next session but I don't want to give the poor DM an aneurysm with tunnel fighter, PAM, possibly sentinel shenanigans :>

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bean posted:

1) Can you do that? How?

2) Take five levels in druid first to get Conjure Animals, which lets you Conjure Animals. Rangers also get Conjure Animals, but since they're half-casters they don't get it until level 9. Welcome to your first lesson in D&D 5e: The answer to "I want to do cool thing" is almost always "Be a better caster". Also if you want to be the best Animal Conjurer you need to keep taking levels in druid to boost your caster level faster.

As others have said, use the UA Ranger, the one in the book is trash.

1) You need to get the Find Familiar spell. Start as Variant Human and take the Magic Initiate feat or start as (anything) and take a level of Wizard (not as your first level). The latter will delay your Beast's general beastly progression and lose you some HP but leads to better Familiarage and does some weird but kind of good stuff to your general spell progression, so it's kind of a toss up.

Talk to your DM and ask them to bend the rules a bit and choose based on which they're happier with:

a) Have Magic Initiate just grant you an extra first level spell slot and add Find Familiar to your spells known rather than the fudgey rules in the actual feat. Means you can resummon your familiar more often if it dies.

b) Have your Wizard level count as a level for the purposes of your Beast's passive upgrades. Means an extra hit die.

c) Ask if you can just take Find Familiar as a Ranger spell because c'moooooooon.

c) is the best option, though a) or b) also let you get Green Fire Blade as a cantrip which is actually super good for a melee beast ranger if you go that route, since beastmasters only ever get one attack.

Fun Familiar Fact: Your Familiar can attack, but not well. Like all allies it can also spend its action to give advantage if it's adjacent to the enemy, which is way better. So keep your familiar on you at all times and get advantage on your one attack forever, and if you already have advantage grant it to your beast instead. Also, you can see through your familiar's eyes at no penalty. My advice:

Go the Magic Initiate route, beg for a).

Take an Octopus familar.

Wear it on your face and pretend to be a Mind Flayer.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 3, 2017

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/937194276126986242

I know this is a petty little non-complaint. But... "rouges"? Et tu, Monte?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats the color of his wizards robes

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Sage Genesis posted:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/937194276126986242

I know this is a petty little non-complaint. But... "rouges"? Et tu, Monte?

It becomes less petty in the context of fuckin Mike Mearles proving he's a moron. Claims he like rogues, is the lead designer, loving misspells one of the most commonly misspelled classes. Why is everyone on top everywhere so freaking stupid?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats the color of his wizards robes

This is pretty dang good :hf:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it'd be better if Rogues were "overpowered" from having a biased developer doting on them, but as it is the Assassin sucks rear end anyway

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Man you guys have humor fly right over your head, though maybe I'm new enough where I don't hate the designers of the game yet.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Arthil posted:

Man you guys have humor fly right over your head, though maybe I'm new enough where I don't hate the designers of the game yet.

Since you didnt play 4e you will never rise to the heights of SA hatred of DnD.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I liked 4e a lot but if I was still that big a fan of it, and not 5e, then I would post mostly in the 4e thread and not post italicized whines for years and years about 5e.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I swear its like clockwork

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Has anyone looked at the Tal'Dorei setting book? If its good that would be an easy way to intro new people since it comes pre-loaded with like 400+ hours of video tutorial.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Has anyone looked at the Tal'Dorei setting book? If its good that would be an easy way to intro new people since it comes pre-loaded with like 400+ hours of video tutorial.

It's a knock off Forgotten Realms. If you or your group like watching Critical Role and want to play a game in that setting, than it's great but as a standalone product it's kind of bog standard.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Bean posted:

1) Can you do that? How?

To add a bit to what others said about find familiar. Your not stuck with one particular animal. You can change what it is by recasting the ritual. Need a hawk, then recast. Want an octopus, that's take the time to cast the spell and your golden. So if you take it with the magic initiate feet you aren't getting one choice, your getting all the choices one at a time. One note, there is some confusion about how many times per day you can cast that first level spell magic initiate gives, but 1 is the most common option.

Plus familiars give a whole bunch of scouting options and can help in battle for free. If for some bizarre reason you are playing a pact of the chain warlock there's even more options.

Beast master is a class you take if you are really into the idea of having a pet as a best friend adventure with you and and are cool with a modest power reduction to get that. There are a couple of weird choices that work ok, like a halfling on a pterodactyl, but those are edge cases that really depend on your gm letting you get away with it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Arthil posted:

For me it's more a classic display of the level of inattentiveness they pay to language, resulting in the vague or confusing rules that sometimes plague 5e.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's a knock off Forgotten Realms. If you or your group like watching Critical Role and want to play a game in that setting, than it's great but as a standalone product it's kind of bog standard.
What's the status of the world at the start of the campaign, do you know? Is it post-CR after all the things got jacked up, or is that part of the campaign arc?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pleads posted:

What's the status of the world at the start of the campaign, do you know? Is it post-CR after all the things got jacked up, or is that part of the campaign arc?

It seems to be concurrent with where the campaign was when it was published from what I remember because the characters from the campaign are mentioned and the world seemed to be at that place. I don't follow Critical Role too closely so I'm not the best person to detail that part of it.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Throwing Turtles posted:

There are a couple of weird choices that work ok, like a halfling on a pterodactyl, but those are edge cases that really depend on your gm letting you get away with it.

I read that as a Halfling "or" a pterodactyl. I would one hundred percent play a ranger that just came with halfling companion to boss around, like Nodwick or something.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Even better would be a Pteranodon People Ranger who had a halfling as his People Companion.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Arthil posted:

FRINGE posted:

Since you didnt play 4e you will never rise to the heights of SA hatred of DnD.

He literally helped coordinate harassment of people on these forums.

Also are we at the level of weird defensiveness where we're trying to play off a dumb typo as a totally intentional joke?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It seems to be concurrent with where the campaign was when it was published from what I remember because the characters from the campaign are mentioned and the world seemed to be at that place. I don't follow Critical Role too closely so I'm not the best person to detail that part of it.

Gotcha, thanks! I'm blasting through the series now so while they keep mentioning it, I never have any sense of time for when their real-world references are set.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I read that as a Halfling "or" a pterodactyl. I would one hundred percent play a ranger that just came with halfling companion to boss around, like Nodwick or something.

A have a lot of really fond memories of games where GM's said sure gently caress it and just rolled with it. Most recent one was in this weird drow underdark city intrigue adventure where the overgrown barbarian type picked up a pew in the temple of Lloth and started beating heretic drow with it. You couldn't give that guy a weapon after that so the GM just treated it like a maul and the player was thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
did that new book come out yet

did it add any more battlemaster maneuvers

e: also does it have weapons that aren't simple or martial

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 4, 2017