Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There's a difference between acknowledging it's the right choice and celebrating it, dude.

+ People hate OSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

SourKraut posted:

I think Oklahoma will run a train on Georgia; the wildcard is Alabama-Clemson, because Alabama hasn't looked sharp the last few weeks in facing actual, decent competition, but Clemson is Clemson. My hope is that Clemson will win by a couple of touchdowns at least and really embarrass Alabama on the national stage so that people stop treating Alabama like it was 5 years ago.

Yeah, I want them both blown out so the SEC is great stigma will go away forever. Was actually curious about the actual math, I would guess 66%, maybe 75, just on 50/50 coin flip, not team strength.

e; saw 75% posted, thanks!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What exactly happened in that Syracuse-Clemson game, anyway? The fact that there's a real chance that the National Champion's only loss was to a team that got shredded by Boston College is mind boggling. And I say this as a BC fan.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This will only be worth it if Bama loses by 40 and Satan flips out on the sideline.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teddybear posted:

What exactly happened in that Syracuse-Clemson game, anyway? The fact that there's a real chance that the National Champion's only loss was to a team that got shredded by Boston College is mind boggling. And I say this as a BC fan.

Bryant went out with a head injury and Clemson really just didn't look like they came to play.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lamentable dustman posted:

One of the worse SEC as a total in memory is the year they get 2 in is weird

This was always a concern once the east fielded a competent team, and Georgia is legit good. Bama basically gets an auto bid.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bryant went out with a head injury and Clemson really just didn't look like they came to play.

Ah.

... That's a less fun explanation than I hoped. Glad that he's okay long-term, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah, I want them both blown out so the SEC is great stigma will go away forever. Was actually curious about the actual math, I would guess 66%, maybe 75, just on 50/50 coin flip, not team strength.

I think the chances of 0% are pretty good, but that's the problem - if these teams all played right now, in a week or so, I fully think Clemson would destroy Alabama and Oklahoma would destroy Georgia.

But having a month to prepare makes it so Alabama very likely could win. I still think Georgia loses.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When do the rest of the Bowl announcements roll in?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

#PAWL

We're going to get our teeth kicked in unless we get a hell of a lot more healthy in a hurry.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Bryant got hurt and everyone looked out of rhythm from having to play on a Friday IMO.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bama gets the most favorable game location out of anyone :-/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Josh Jackson intercepted the Big Tens playoff bid

They were losing before he left the game. They just straight up got their rear end kicked

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ok now find a 2011 quote.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
This is a The_Donald-level meme and you should be ashamed of quoting it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wa27 posted:

Ok now find a 2011 quote.

Please dont. It still hurts.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bryant got hurt and everyone looked out of rhythm from having to play on a Friday IMO.

gently caress friday games and the acc for agreeing to them

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When do the rest of the Bowl announcements roll in?

2 ET, after they announce the Top 25 iirc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Josh Jackson intercepted the Big Tens playoff bid

They were losing before he left the game. They just straight up got their rear end kicked

They lost by three points and it was 17-14 at the half. In the sense that it's embarrassing to even play Syracuse tight if you're a top program they got their rear end kicked, but they still came close to stealing that game and probably could have done it with their starting QB.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
lol that Auburn was 7 too

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
It wasn't all Bryant going out, Cuse shredded that defense all night long

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The group of 5 should just start their own playoff

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Good, this Barrett led offense was going to get rolled in a playoff game. Now hopefully he can win his final game and a QB that can throw the ball is hopefully starting next year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The group of 5 should just start their own playoff

UCF-Toledo and Boise-FAU would be fun as hell

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Jota posted:

lol that Auburn was 7 too

Auburn had to play Georgia twice, Bama, and Clemson. Thats a really rough schedule, and they beat two of those teams and played Clemson close.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The SEC was propped up all year by this committee.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

EveryFuckingYear.txt

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Rad Valtar posted:

Every non group of five conference was

Miami, Wisconsin, Ohio State, USC, STanford, Notre Dame, were all paper tigers

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Hope Bama heals up and wins, way more confident in Baker against SEC teams.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

The Big 10 had like 3 teams in the top 10 almost every week.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Im just happy that those two games on NYD probably will be decent games. Has there been a good semifinal game other than OSU-Bama in 14?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mahoning posted:

Im just happy that those two games on NYD probably will be decent games. Has there been a good semifinal game other than OSU-Bama in 14?

how could you forget about the Humiliation of Jameis Winston by the Oregon Ducks

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I really don't have an issue with the selection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Clemson-Oklahoma was okay for a while. Oregon-Florida State was extremely funny.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Raku posted:

Every non group of five conference was

Miami, Wisconsin, Ohio State, USC, STanford, Notre Dame, were all paper tigers

I would give both end-of-season USC and Stanford good chances against Alabama fwiw.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Oklahoma should pay someone to monitor Baker 24/7 because winning a Heisman, getting a playoff spot and having a few weeks off seems like a recipe for personal life disaster.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
yeesh

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/937376546196742144

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Danny cant do math I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They lost by three points and it was 17-14 at the half. In the sense that it's embarrassing to even play Syracuse tight if you're a top program they got their rear end kicked, but they still came close to stealing that game and probably could have done it with their starting QB.

Eh, I dont think it was as close as the score. Syracuse was moving the ball basically at will, Clemsons scoring was all turnovers or a handful of big run plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, rival fan here obviously, but Syracuse worked Clemson over pretty good start to finish. The Bryant injury ended up being a convenient excuse, but I'm glad to see neutral observers agree.

Anyway, lol if you didn't think the committee was gonna let Bama in. But also lol if you're an Ohio State person angry about this when they got a similar mulligan last year. From my perspective, it was kind of a coin flip, and I would've been fine with either making it.

• Locked thread